This has been years in the making. I've been reading and researching like crazy since September 2011. 2013 I bought a GB Fans light and sound kit thinking I was going to start my build then. HA. Moved from Florida to Woodstock, IL for a business partnership opportunity. That fell through and got an audio/visual job in downtown Chicago. Now that things have finally settled a bit I decided to source some styrene before I'm shut in for the winter.

I've decided to go with ALL 0.125" (1/8th") high impact polystyrene for strength and consistency sake. This will be worn. The thrower will be made of the same as well.

When picking up the styrene I mentioned that I was making a proton pack out of it. The lady behind the desk lit up and asked if I've heard of Windy CIty Ghostbusters as a member shops there all the time. I said, "well I must be in the right place then!" I posted that on Windy CIty's Facebook page and it turns out it was non other than Alan Hawkins of this forum. He contacted me and we've been chatting and he's been great at answering questions and offering tips! I have a pack mentor :) Really though, thanks Alan!!!

Anyway, enough blabbing. On to the build.

I'm going for a GB1 hero idealized pack using Stefan's Plans. Not screen accuracy. I don't like crooked fins etc. I'm amazed at all of you who have the eye and patience for such things though!

I decided to start with the power cell, so that's what I did, yestreday. It'll be on the next post as I want to keep each day on it's own separate post. So we'll consider this one the intro post, or header, or cover sheet, or.... let's get on with it ;)
GBDRE760, hooker liked this
Day 1: October-04-2015

Went to Harbor Freight with some coupons and picked up:
6" Digital Caliper that reads fractions and decimals and mm, perfect for Stefan's Plans, which I'll be using.
12" Combination Square set
6 pack of sanding sponges
sanding block

I started with a jig saw and found i was getting some squirrely-ish cuts that I'd have to sand. Would be such a problem if had a belt sander and sanding disk tool. I decided to try the old score with a razor and snap method. Very surprised how good of results can be had with that method! So I'm sticking with that.

Here's all the pieces for the power cell cut and ready to be glued with Weld-On #16 glue. That's a giant 5oz tube i got for under $7.

Managed to actually cut out the window in one piece by scoring the ever living crap out of one side...Image

Then I bent it to reveal stress marks on the opposite side...

I then scored along those stress lines and it snapped right out with not much effort!

Weld-On #16 is wonderful stuff! A little more runny than I expected, but not as runny as some brush on stuff I've used. Pretty quick set time too but not instant so you can position things. I also am bracing all internal corners as I've seen many others do.

And here is all of day one's progress. About 4 hours work. Decent learning curve. Good primer for all that's about to come.

The inside with the bracing.
Last edited by Batfly on October 5th, 2015, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackdoud, Martinus liked this
Day 2 10-05-2015 (Today)

Started by sanding and cleaning up yesterdays work.

Then I cut and added side ribs.

Next were the top and bottom pieces.

Then the fronts.

Sanded the ribs to round out the edges. This all took about 3 hours. Had lunch after this.

After lunch I decided to start the EDA base. I decided down the line I'm going to add 3.1 mm to the gearbox and not do the 91.6* angle on it. This way I didn't have to put the reverse angle on the EDA base and everything will still all line up as if the angle were implemented.

Here's all pieces measured out in reverse so as to make the scoring on the inside when glued together.

All glued together.

Inside shot of bracing.

Power cell and EDA base cuddling.

Total of 6 hours work today, not too shabby. I hope this doesn't only become a day off thing and that I'll have energy after work to keep going. If not oh well. Stay tuned and thanks for looking :)
Last edited by Batfly on October 5th, 2015, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackdoud liked this
Great work! I wish styrene was more available in Canada.

What is the black thing in the last photo beside the glue? Is that a little square?
Batfly liked this
PssdffJay wrote:What is the black thing in the last photo beside the glue? Is that a little square?
I'm a sense yes. It's the 45* piece in my multi square set I picked up at Harbor Freight. I just take it off and it become a nice little square for lining up the side as I glue them.

Last edited by Batfly on October 5th, 2015, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get more done. Been having pack building dreams last couple nights lol.
Nice! I scratch built my pack out of styrene two years ago so this is bringing back memories! I remember the worst part was all the sanding. That styrene dust gets everywhere!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics or otherwise record my build. Looking forward to your progress!
Batfly liked this
Batfly wrote: I started with a jig saw and found i was getting some squirrely-ish cuts that I'd have to sand.
I meant to write scroll saw not jig saw.
Batfly wrote:Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get more done. Been having pack building dreams last couple nights lol.
I hate pack building dreams. Especially when I've just spent a couple hours working on it right before bed. Good luck with styrene, I wish I'd used more of it on my build. Much lighter and easier to smooth. Subscribed.
Batfly liked this
Got more done today after work. Little less than 3 hours spent on the edge.

Question, what would be the easiest way to measure to radius to cut on the angled/sloped? I don't want to just compass it flat on an have it off due to the angle. Thinking of putting a grinding bit in my drill press instead of trying to score and snap a curved edge.

Here are some self explanatory pics.

jackdoud liked this
Also, debating whether to put the left front corner bevel in that is not in Stefan's plans.
Oh sorry, I meant for the PPD radius curve cutout not booster tube. I do plan on cutting the tube at an angel.
That angled hole it tough since it's more of an ellipse than a circle. If I recall, I did it by first getting the hole correct on a piece of cardboard by making a sort of mock up. Then I could trim the cardboard until it fit the tube. Once that was done I traced the curve onto the styrene. Hope that helps.
Batfly liked this
Constructed the ion arm. Needs sanding still and glue seems. Going to put epoxy in the bases four corners then drill and tap them for attaching to HDA base.

2.5 hours for this.

Sanded down the angled piece to fit between the sides.

I think we're getting somewhere :)
jackdoud liked this
Great work! You're on the right track in reference to the curved cut. The sanding/grinding bit on the drill press would probably be ok. A dremel would be a great for it. After you get the cut made, play around with some heat on the styrene to close the vertical gap between the top and bottom. You'll have to do this later if you're building your thrower body. Just go slow and easy with the heat and you can form it to nearly any curve. I think both Alan and Propcicle have some good reference pics in their build threads.
Batfly liked this
Been only able to work in 2 to 3 hour spurts as I have some long with days. 6 days straight staying tomorrow! Got the big pieces done on the gearbox/crack generator. Might be a bit till the next update.

Yeah, haven't had any time Rio work on this. Been doing noon to 11pm work days this week. 6 of them in a row! Lol
Not much of an update. Got all the pvc I need for the pack and thrower. Did sanding on the gearbox after gluing in the angled piece and flat one. Wanted to do more but I have a mega cold. Oh well.

Another little update. Had the day off, still sick, but much better energy level today. Got more with done on the gearbox. All ribs placed. Went to 13th Floor haunted houses with my girlfriend and came back. Got middle tube piece done. Sanded one rib and measured out the bottom rib row.

alphabeta001 liked this

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]