By badash320
So after years and years of research, and more than a little bolstering of my skills, I'm embarking on a pack build. I've decided to start at the neutrona wand/proton gun/particle thrower. I wanted to make this a build that functions so I've decided to include:
  • Aluminum body, handles, and instrument bar.
  • A rotational front handle. I'm going with 45°.
  • Light kit. I'm using the one from the shop here on GB Fans.
  • Movable knobs: front knob, side knob (next to the heat sink), and of course the beam adjustment knob.
  • A functioning switch and pop out end tube. I'm going for more of the spring loaded mechanism that a retractable lever arm.
I've been using Autodesk Inventor to 3D model all the parts to make it as accurate to the final product as possible. The idea I set out with was no to have what would be a screen accurate pack but a screen ready pack. I'm also hoping to take some of the mystery out building this component and to provide a set of plans that are compatible with currently available parts and electronic kits. My goal is to have these drawings fabrication ready so that those of us who don't have machining equipment could take it out to a fabricator and have these parts machined and welded for them. I'm also compiling a parts list of both "buy" and "make" components with model numbers from the original manufacturers.

Through purchasing parts, referencing numerous photos, and using Stephan's plans I think I have a good start on the project. Again my dimensions aren't "screen accurate" but they have been cleaned up so that they're in sixteenth inch fractions and can be made out of common size material stock. The only dimensions in thirty-seconds are hole sizes which are fairly common drill bits and keep a nice tight tolerance for attaching parts.

I'll try to keep up with posting screen shots of the 3D model as well as photos of the build as well. Right now I'm planning on working on the build before releasing any drawings out. I want to make sure it all works first. Here are a couple of the nearly completed 3D assembly.

I'll be more than happy to take questions and listen to suggestions on both looks and fabrication techniques as I go along. I'm looking forward to finally making this thing come to life.
ccv66 liked this
By badash320
Her's a screen shot of the assembly I hope to get working on this weekend.

I'm a little worried about the thickness of the sheet metals. They're 1/16 inch thick, which is why I'm planning on using the hex nuts which will allow me to mount the gun track on the bottom. I'll just jump in and see where I get.
By OCP_Model-001
Good luck buddy! 1/16 is pretty thin for the gun body. I used 2mm on mine and prob could have used thicker to improve the strength of the core box, see how it goes ;) great looking start!
By badash320
Well...long time in coming but I finally got something made. It's not completely aluminum but I'm happy with it. A few customizations but I think it would pass on camera which is what I wanted.

If anyone wants the files that I used in making check it out here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4112177

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

I know very little about Five Nights at Freddy's […]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]