GK45 wrote:
Jhall0712 wrote:Oh yeah I didn’t think about it bleeding over to the other windows... I’ll see what I can figure out! Thanks!
Another option would be to use PVC. Just cut a notch in it so that it can slide over the board, then hot glue in place.
Won't be pretty, but it would get the job done.
This may be what I try! Thanks!
Jhall0712 wrote:
GK45 wrote: Another option would be to use PVC. Just cut a notch in it so that it can slide over the board, then hot glue in place.
Won't be pretty, but it would get the job done.
This may be what I try! Thanks!
No problem, it's what I'll be doing, assuming I get to it before Halloween, got my wisdom teeth pulled today, not sure how I'll be feeling as the days go on... Not so bad tonight though.

My plan is to cover the original leds with some black electrical tape, then hotglue the new leds on top or to the side, we'll see how they lay. After that, a bit of red marker on the lenses and pipe to stop any bleeding.

I've grabbed a few mini flippers and minipush buttons on ebay, assuming they fit in the wand I'll use them, otherwise I'll just have to stick a button in the pack.
Plan on using a flipper for the lights and the push button to relocate the original pack firing effect, again, if they fit.
No painting, don't have the time or weather, cold and windy.
I've updated the code on github with a few new features. I've made the location of the animation configuration easier to find with better comments. I've also added some bootup effects for the powercell and cyclotron when power is applied to the arduino. Here is a short video describing the options you can choose from

This is a code only update so all you have to do is upload the code to the arduino and you will have the new features. Code can be found here

https://github.com/CountDeMonet/Arduino ... itMinimial
grogking liked this
Hi guys,
Please excuse the new account. I cant get into my old one. Been trying to set this up today and have had no end of trouble with getting the ardunio to take the code. any help you could offer would be great. the last error message said -

"adafruit_NeoPixel\esp8266.c: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error compiling for board Arduino Nano."

I have the library files loaded manually and I have updated it through the library manager. but no luck
Read your post so I decided to give it try, even though I haven't attached any of the LEDs. First couple of times failed due to me not setting the board type to "Nano" :oops:

Uploaded without errors - I have a cap with full debug/logging available. Guess I'll have to break out the soldering iron now.
Brett1 wrote:Hi guys,
Please excuse the new account. I cant get into my old one. Been trying to set this up today and have had no end of trouble with getting the ardunio to take the code. any help you could offer would be great. the last error message said -

"adafruit_NeoPixel\esp8266.c: The system cannot find the file specified.
Error compiling for board Arduino Nano."

I have the library files loaded manually and I have updated it through the library manager. but no luck
I have the library that I compiled against in the github repo here:
https://github.com/CountDeMonet/Arduino ... t_NeoPixel

If you are on windows you place this library in the following location

C:\Users\{username}\Documents\Arduino\libraries

The directory should already be there. Just copy the library to that directory like so

C:\Users\{username}\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_NeoPixel

That is the only required external library for the spirit pack so once it is in the right location the code should compile.
greg883 wrote:Read your post so I decided to give it try, even though I haven't attached any of the LEDs. First couple of times failed due to me not setting the board type to "Nano" :oops:

Uploaded without errors - I have a cap with full debug/logging available. Guess I'll have to break out the soldering iron now.
Glad you got it all working. Good luck with the soldering.
Brett1 wrote:Could you send me the files to add. I have tried copying from git hub and adding them. or may be i dont understand github. I just get an error that the file does not exist.
Using GitHub you can download the entire source as a zip file.

Here is the Arduino documents on using libraries. It's possible your library location is not standard

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Libraries

I believe you can find and install the neopixels lib from the manager as well.
greg883 wrote:Soldering done, all lights working! Nice touch with the "fade out" on the cyclotron lights.

I'll post picts of the completed installation.
Nice! Can't wait to see it. If you look in the code there are a number of options and you can adjust the speed.
I got it working. Some thing was going wrong with the desk top software for the arduino. I tried the online uploader and it worked perfectly. I haven't been able to get the pixel sticks yet but i have another board that can be the power level for now. Thanks for this CountDeMonet. It is awesome. Now i need to mod and paint the pack and get a v hook for the thrower.

I had some halloween lights that had reflectors that were a perfect fit.

Not finished but way better than yesterday

CountDeMonet liked this
Life has settled down a bit so here are a few photos of my build

not to complicated regarding the programming, physical assembly and installing in the pack. Nothing fancy, just hot glue and point-to-point wiring. I added an external power switch and tucked it behind the injector.

The reflectors are "everything's a dollar" plastic shot glasses - 10 for $1. Cut down with a Dremel cutoff wheel to fit, a hole cut in the bottom to fit the LED and painted silver on the outside (leaving the shiny plastic inside). The original Spirit controller is just tacked in place with some hot glue.

I went with DC-DC converter version. It's a only a couple of more wires and gives a stable voltage to the whole thing. The Nano and battery pack are held in with some Velcro squares in case they need to be removed. I mounted the Nano with the USB port facing the back so I can leave a hole in the backplate for reprogramming without having to remove everything. The NeoPixel Sticks fit right into the power cell window, once you move the Spirt LED and remove the mounting ribs. I tacked the LED back in the cavity so the "strobing" is still visible. The only drawback is the Sticks emit a very noticeable whine that gets louder as each LED lights up. I've read some posts suggesting that is due to each light having an individual voltage controller. I'm going to try dropping the DC-DC output to 4.9 or 4.8V and see if it makes a difference.

Adafruit is recommending a resistor on the data input and a 1000uf cap across the DC input to prevent damage to the strip.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... -practices
I'll probably add them in, it's cheap protection.

My thanks to the good Count for posting his design and code for everyone to use. It's a huge improvement to the pack when just walking around.
Kingpin liked this
That looks great! Nice work and thanks for the pics. You can find some options for mounts elsewhere so it's great to hear what people are finding. It is really odd you are getting a whine though especially with what look like all adafruit neopixels. I had some whine in my speakers on the full setup when the connections were not great but once everything was soldered there was nothing. I'm wondering if you have a weak ground somewhere that could be causing that. Maybe check resistance between some of the connections? On my spirit pack there is nothing audible from the setup.
I know this post is a bit dated now but I was wondering if anyone had any clearer pictures of their boards and how to wire them. I've never soldered a day in my life and all I want more than anything is to do this correctly. If anyone is willing to share a video or just some really clear pictures you'd be helping me out more than you could imagine.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

You can solder it all together without a protoboard exactly as diagramed. I just added connectors which is what those leads are for.

If you have never done this before I recommend buying an Arduino uno kit with a breadboard and hook it up exactly like the diagram. You'll learn a lot and can then move on to making it a permanent thing in the pack.

Elegoo EL-KIT-004 UNO Project Basic Starter Kit with Tutorial and UNO R3 for Arduino https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DGD2GAO/re ... yAb6PT1D42
CountDeMonet wrote:That looks great! Nice work and thanks for the pics. You can find some options for mounts elsewhere so it's great to hear what people are finding. It is really odd you are getting a whine though especially with what look like all adafruit neopixels. I had some whine in my speakers on the full setup when the connections were not great but once everything was soldered there was nothing. I'm wondering if you have a weak ground somewhere that could be causing that. Maybe check resistance between some of the connections? On my spirit pack there is nothing audible from the setup.
Resoldered all the joints, no luck. Broke out the DVM and found I was already at ~4.8V. Ran the adjustment pot back and forth and found that at or slightly below 4.6 or above 5.1 will run completely silent. Something about 4.8V just set the Adafruit sticks to whining.
I am glad I found this. A quick trip to Amazon and I had a small box of way too many parts at my door (seriously, I have enough to make nearly 3 whole sets of these things). I made up a simple PCB but time constraints means they wouldn't make it here in enough time so I ended up using a breadboard. Turned out I already had crimpers for the JST connectors.

I have it setup to install a buck converter for future use but right now I'm powering it off my 5v 10000mah power bank so I haven't installed it. That's what the pin setup by the screw terminal block is for.

I cut the end off a usb cord and made a quick plug for the bottom 2 pin sets where the buck converter would put 5v out to. I could have just plugged into the usb on the arduino but I prefer it this way.

I had an odd issue when I first put it together, the cyclotron would only cycle 3 of the 4 led's and only the first one was red. I changed every one on the chain thinking one was bad and messing with the rest of them. Turned out I bought SK6812 RGBW's instead of the WS2812 RGB's. it was a simple change to the code thankfully and it all works wonderfully now.
CountDeMonet liked this

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]