Ok, so I scratch built my Ribbon Cable Clamps today.
I started by 3D printing one of my clamp parts to use as a template. Then I took some 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar stock and used some red Sharpie marker as "poor-man's Dykem", coloring a stripe across the bar and scoring it with an x-acto knife to transfer the overall width of the clamp to it. I used a hacksaw to cut the first piece. Then I marked the hole locations and traced the curve with a pen. I used a drill press to drill the holes. I forgot to take pictures of all of this, but here's the result:
I laid down another red Sharpie stripe on the next bit of flat bar, clamped it to first part and proceeded to use it as a template to drill holes into the new uncut bar. From this point on, I would use the 8-32 screws and nuts as a way to keep the two clamp parts aligned and locked to each other:
Again, I grabbed my hacksaw and cut the second piece of aluminum to length:
Now I could use that pen-traced curve as a reference to do some more drill press work. A 1/8" bit made quick but repetitive work out of perforating both pieces at once. This will save me some time removing material later (not perfect, but good enough to get the rough cut done next) :
Then I played connect the dots with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel (the good kind). It wasn't easy, but I have a ton
of Dremel experience and don't mind calling myself an expert Hehe! No seriously.
Keeping everything locked together, I started refining the curve with a super coarse sanding drum in the Dremel. Below I stopped when I felt I was getting close to the pen line, and wanted to use my red Sharpie Dykem trick again to get a better idea of where the final curve edge needed to be. So I mounted the 3D printed template again and scored the metal. Now the goal is clear:
Ok, so after some more grinding and a few test fits on the shell, I was able to fine tune the curve and wrap it up. I took some sandpaper to all the edges just to knock down anything sharp and scuffed up all the surfaces with a Scotch-Brite scouring pad to restore the brushed finish (moving in a linear direction).
And last but not least, here are both clamp parts mounted to the shell with the hardware:
Ok, so that's out of the way. Gotta get that Injector Bracket done next