To begin, I haven't had much luck with the 3D printed red circuit diagram thing. Simply not enough fine resolution from my FDM printer to make it really work. So I'm going with the GB2 "sticker" approach, which is fine for now. Perhaps someday I'll find a cool way to replace it.
Overall, though, cosmetic stuff is great. Here is the current state of the pack:
Overall I think it's looking great. I am using my crappy yet oh so good and oh so affordable aluminum label method. Personally I think it gives amazing results for the price, and as I mention in the video it could likely be improved with a better adhesive. And if you do it just right you can get your aluminum applied without imperfections, but I'm not too picky. I love how forgiving proton pack builds can be! I've used the labels from this thread this time, and I like the results!
I've started working to get a few other parts together. As I'm trying to do this on a budget, I have decided to 3D print most of the hardware that goes onto the pack. Here are some parts in various states of progress I'm working on:
I'm trying to decide whether I want to keep the crank knob black or go with gray. As I'm mostly doing a GB1 pack, and I like the contrast of it, gray is probably a better choice. Also, the legris elbows I printed turned out SUPER clean. I'm using this file for my brass elbows, the legris elbow from this page, and the legris straight file from PakRatJr's plans. Hopefully painting goes well, but we'll see. I'll post updates on that when I get around to the painting part. If things don't go as well as I want them to, in the future I may swap them out for more accurate parts.
Finally, on to the electronics. The current design I have involves two arduinos: One that resides in the particle thrower, and the other in the main pack. The two will be connected using I2C, and I think I'll have the thrower be the master and the pack be the slave. I'd also love to have, at the end of the loom tubing between the pack and the thrower, an xlr connector that will allow for the thrower to be removable, allowing me to use the same thrower for multiple packs in the future if I want, or even disconnect the thrower and use it on its own. Since all I need are three wires between the two arduinos, this seems totally possible, though I'm not sure how to handle the separate power sources in the thrower and the pack itself. I suppose that's the downside: I'll now need power AND audio in the thrower when that isn't entirely necessary when the thrower is permanently connected to the pack. There's just something cool about being able to pop it off when I want to!
Anyway, if I do go the I2C route, I will have it so the thrower's arduinos keeps track of the states of the buttons and toggles on it, and depending on what state things are in, it sends integers over to the main pack letting it know what state things are in. State 0 for booting up, state 1 for normal cycle, state 1 for firing, state 2 for ghostbusters theme song, etc We'll see how it goes, I'm going to start tinkering tonight with the idea and see how easily I can get it up and running.