By Adub794
Man that really sucks. Sorry to see that. Do you think if the shell was fiberglass that it could have sustained the fall? I was about to reach out to Ben myself and get something going on a resin shell, but may hold off for a fiberglass.
By Fitzhume
Adub794 wrote: November 4th, 2019, 5:35 pm Man that really sucks. Sorry to see that. Do you think if the shell was fiberglass that it could have sustained the fall? I was about to reach out to Ben myself and get something going on a resin shell, but may hold off for a fiberglass.
I think it would have still broken for the way it fell. because the ion block is the first thing that hits. With that part being completely solid, all of that pressure would have punctured it anyways. However, maybe if I had an aluminum block, that may not have happened. Either way, it happened and I'll get to work on it next week and see what I come up with.

Other than my situation, this pack is amazing. I have nothing else to compare it to but I absolutely would change a thing on the pack. I definately would put more time in learning the alice pack and how the straps work though.
By bishopdonmiguel
I tracked down my “safety features” post. Thought it was in my build thread, wasn’t. Here’s the link...

Bishop’s Safety Features Recommendations

Edit: If you have a Rothco or other milspec pack with a weak center brace, replace that. It will eventually weaken and break.
Fitzhume liked this
By Fitzhume
bishopdonmiguel wrote: November 5th, 2019, 4:44 am I tracked down my “safety features” post. Thought it was in my build thread, wasn’t. Here’s the link...

Bishop’s Safety Features Recommendations

Edit: If you have a Rothco or other milspec pack with a weak center brace, replace that. It will eventually weaken and break.
As always, thank you for this information Bishop! I will be taking this step to make sure the pack stays secure in the future.
By Fitzhume
Happy Friday Everyone!

After taking a good amount of time away from my pack after the damage that it sustained, I got back to the workbench to put it back together this past month.

I had to repair the cracks and separations of the pack due to the damage to the pack breaking where the ion block was attached. I decided then to use the aluminum ion block since its weight was a mere 5-6 ounces instead of 4-6lbs. I used a 2 part resin epoxy to put the corner back together and fill in the seams.

I will get pictures back up here to document the progress. It's back together for now but will pull it back apart again later to replace the center vertical bar on the Alice Pack with a steel bar instead. I also used rivets on the upper part of the pack straps to make sure the same mistake and accident doesn't happen again. Thank you Bishop for supplying those images and suggestions for these modifications/upgrades.

The next upgrade will be a smoke kit which should be on its way here soon. I hope everyone enjoys the new movie as I will be headed out with the family tonight to see it. My daughter wants to wear her StayPuft costume so I guess I'll have to get dressed up too :)

Take care!
bishopdonmiguel liked this
By Fitzhume
Good Morning!

As promised, here are images of the repair to my corner of the pack under the Ion Block:

YOu can see the seam of the crack that has been sealed with epoxy just on the bend in the power cell area.

Another angle shows the sealed crack to the puncture hole.

The epoxy dried clear but there is a buildup that has sealed any spaces due to missing material.

This corner piece consisted of two pieces that were epoxy'd back together. I had to do a lot of spot sanding on the edges to make it fit again. I'm sure when fixing the cracks down the power cell that it may not have been perfect which called for this. You can see a bit of an edge at the seam on the left of this corner piece as a result. Sanding brought it down so it was more square like it was before.

Side image of this corner after putting back together.

The new ion block from GBFans store is aluminum and weighs just about nothing compared to the original resin ion block. Difference between 4-6 lbs to 4-6 ounces.

Corner Bondo'd and sanded with holes drilled for the new ion block.

This will be its home for the time being but will most likely move it back away from foot traffic.

I'm still waiting on one Legris elbow to add the yellow tubing on the ion block. But at least I was able to get out and wear it for the opening night of Ghostbusters Afterlife. I had a great time and it's still amazing to talk with people about this experience and watch adults turn into children again before my eyes. Again a big thanks to everyone that offered their advice on their builds to help complete and fix mine (Bishop, Spongeface, canpara, nstevic01)

....next up....smoke kit addition, replacement of center bar on Alice pack, goggles and trap....
By bishopdonmiguel
Nice job fixing that up. I know it was a frustrating accident but you demonstrated your Ghostbuster spirit by not giving up in the face of adversity.
Fitzhume liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]