So here’s the thing. I might be having someone build a pack for me, but they aren’t exactly fans of the franchise. So I’m trying to find this person a step by step guide on what’s required based on the parts available on GBfans. Could anyone help?

So pretty much I’d buy all the parts, hand them over to someone not very familiar with the franchise and they’d build the pack. That’s the situation I’m in. Anything that can help communicate what needs to be done with the parts whether it’s painting or machining & wiring or soldering would be great. I know that’s a tall order. I’ve seen some tutorials but none of them seem to be using the GBfans prefabricated shell.
Ryanc3187 liked this
I don't know about an explicitly/exhaustively "step-by-step" guide. There are a lot of build threads on the forum where the posters show a step-by-step assembly, but often they group several small steps into a single bigger step. Nothing immediately comes to mind that's specifically assembled using parts from this website's store, I'm afraid. :(
Kingpin wrote: September 15th, 2020, 8:11 pm I don't know about an explicitly/exhaustively "step-by-step" guide. There are a lot of build threads on the forum where the posters show a step-by-step assembly, but often they group several small steps into a single bigger step. Nothing immediately comes to mind that's specifically assembled using parts from this website's store, I'm afraid. :(
That GBfans store has everything I will need though, correct? (Items not currently in stock notwithstanding). Do you know of any member of this forum that comes to mind who has used primarily GBfans parts?

Again. I appreciate any and all help that will make this easier. So thank you.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

It has a lot of what you'll need, some items are currently listed as out of stock (like the arcolectric, - the red and transparent covers seen near the corner of the top of the Proton Gun, and just above the prop-maker's hand in this photo:)

-I don't personally know when, or if those will be restocked. Though there is a cheaper (though less screen-accurate) alternative here: LED Cliplites (Red & Clear)

•The dry-rub transfers for the Proton Pack are currently out of stock, though Mack's Factory on Facebook/eBay is currently making and selling them.

•If you're looking to assemble a 1984 Proton Pack rather than a 1989 one, then at the moment the 1984-style ribbon cables (pictured below) are currently out of stock, Charles Fincher does make these and can be found on Facebook via Fincher Technologies.

•The aluminium label for the Bumper, Crank Generator and HGA (pictured) are all currently out of stock - I've no idea if or when these will be restocked, though you may be able to find a similar product on eBay in the meantime.

- In truth, the Bumper and Crank Generator labels weren't aluminium on the original props, but the aluminium labels do look very nice.

•The store currently doesn't stock a Proton Gun kit, resin or machined aluminium. You will need to source this from another retailer (Freeky Geeky is one I'm always happy to recommend).

•I would also advise against purchasing the A.L.I.C.E. Pack as I believe it's the more modern reproduction that has a bad habit of snapping on the crossbar. If you can get a genuine frame and set of straps on eBay, that would be the best course to follow. This thread has a lot of information on the A.L.I.C.E. frames and straps which will hopefully help you identify a vintage set... You'll want an LC-1 set for a 1984 Pack, and a LC-2 for a 1989 Pack.
jpetrutis81, NotSabbat liked this
Kingpin wrote: September 16th, 2020, 8:30 am•I would also advise against purchasing the A.L.I.C.E. Pack as I believe it's the more modern reproduction that has a bad habit of snapping on the crossbar. If you can get a genuine frame and set of straps on eBay, that would be the best course to follow. This thread has a lot of information on the A.L.I.C.E. frames and straps which will hopefully help you identify a vintage set... You'll want an LC-1 set for a 1984 Pack, and a LC-2 for a 1989 Pack.
I would second this. My first frame was a repo and the crossbar snapped super quick. Original shoulder straps also have better padding than the reproductions. Avoid anything Rothco when buying a frame especially.

It can be difficult to tell the difference between a repro and an original. Ill see if I can dig up some reference pictures.
Last edited by Kingpin on September 21st, 2020, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added quote code
Kingpin, RedSpecial liked this

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]