By Badmen
The reference here is so extensive I cannot unsee the orange hat light as anything else but a red/orange.

The only time the colored caps on the screen used wands appear to match the current offering at the shop is when it’s center of the shot and the flash blows out the color. I’m referencing the Sony lobby photos.

But even in preproduction and in photos of the 84 Hero pack on display the alleged orange hat light still almost matches the red tubing.

Could it be that the hero wands always had a ‘red’ hat light? Maybe the semi translucent plastic was meant to be red but the end result just happened to be a little bit orange.
By Kingpin
I don't believe so. Here's a rare photograph taken by a fan back in 1984 when a few of the props were put on display:

In natural daylight, the cover on the Gun Ear does look orange, especially when compared to the red push button, and more orange than the red tubing.

Here's a couple more shots that show it as more orange:

kahuna900 liked this
By Badmen
Thank you for the reply. I see what you mean, definitely orange. But that first image of the 84 pack, the fan photo, to me does demonstrate how it can look like a darker orange.

But I agree, especially in the closeup/screenshot of the super hero wand, it does look orange. Could that thrower have been using a different shade of orange hat light from the other hero wands?

Splitting hairs I know but hopefully you can understand why I ask.
By Kingpin
Badmen wrote: October 11th, 2020, 7:50 pmThank you for the reply. I see what you mean, definitely orange. But that first image of the 84 pack, the fan photo, to me does demonstrate how it can look like a darker orange.
It's not impossible, the Hero Pack features a number of elements which are unique to that prop, suggesting it may've been built earlier than the regular heroes. It's possible the hat light used was of a darker shade, though alternately it may've gotten some paint on it during touching up.

We also have to potentially factor in the colour grading, each film has had a different treatment, and this can affect the shades... The original DVD release had an overly-purple hue.
By Marcus B
As I built my pack I also noticed that the modern orange color isn't quite as deep as the old color. Much like the milky white hat lights, I'm guessing a custom order might be needed to get something a little bit closer... though I feel like you could modify the existing hat lights by tinting them somehow..
By gbmichael
These are some of the hat lights I have found over the years. In the first pic;
1. Vintage translucent orange
2. Modern gbfans orange
3. Vintage solid red
4. Vintage solid orange
5. Vintage tan orange
Second pic is with other colors for comparison and S&Gs
You can see that the vintage solid orange lens is more red than the modern gbfans version.
By Badmen
Nice lineup. Thanks for posting that. Many subtle levels. I’d like to see the darker color orange made for future runs. Or maybe a discount at the shop for the good-enough orange, wouldn’t mind trying Marcus recommendation to tint one a little darker.

I know this is a small detail, but if you have to have hat lights it’s a $70 commitment and then you still don’t have the actual lamps to fit inside.

Which maybe are not needed? I thought I saw the one near the barrel illuminated at the Sedgwick but with the lighting for the proton stream effect, it was hard to tell.

Did any of the throwers actually have working hat lights?
By Kingpin
Badmen wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:00 am Nice lineup. Thanks for posting that. Many subtle levels. I’d like to see the darker color orange made for future runs. Or maybe a discount at the shop for the good-enough orange, wouldn’t mind trying Marcus recommendation to tint one a little darker.
You'd have to consult with AJ about whether getting the darker shade would be feasible.
Badmen wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:00 amWhich maybe are not needed? I thought I saw the one near the barrel illuminated at the Sedgwick but with the lighting for the proton stream effect, it was hard to tell.

Did any of the throwers actually have working hat lights?
I tried to find the shot I could remember of the hat light on the Gun Ear illuminated, here's a similar one to the one I had in mind:

Here's the milky white hatlight on the front "shelf" illuminated:

And the shelf hatlight illuminated in Ghostbusters II:

RedSpecial liked this
By Badmen
I’m embarrassed having taken for granted the shelf hat light being on.

The capture from the first movie with gun ear hat light on is cool to see and what I was attempting to describe. Was the intended function to illuminate only when firing and give the animators another cue to go from?

The one near the vent light, just a faux button, never illuminated. Am I getting this so far?

The dialogue on this is appreciated.
By Kingpin
Badmen wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:39 pmWas the intended function to illuminate only when firing and give the animators another cue to go from?
We don't believe so, we believe the flash bulb was designed to be the cue for the animators when they were animated the streams. We believe the hat light was to give an indicator to the prop handlers that the flash bulb had been expended and needed replacing.
Badmen wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:39 pmThe one near the vent light, just a faux button, never illuminated. Am I getting this so far?
Faux light, but yes. It has not yet been seen illuminated, though Afterlife may change this.
By Badmen
I’m more interested in how the original hero props appeared/functioned than the late sequels interpretation. But since the production appears to have referenced the original super hero pack it will be fun to see what carried over directly.

Yep, and nightmare on elm street dream warriors.

You can see our Paranormal Boots in action here: […]

Ghostheads

Ghostheads is SO bad. So cringe. Not even in a g[…]

The opening post contain a lot information. Quick […]