I'm looking to build a pack with thoes specific features.

The bumper eject, and to vent from the N-filter and the wand. Tempted to try the Rod eject feature.
And obviously various button and lighting/sound effects,
Green lever pop mechanism etc

I'm sure many people have seen the Phoenix pack video and all the bells and whistles that has.
Though I'd rather a more 1&2 look to the pack.
If anyone has advice on the cyclotron rod ejection that would be interesting.

I'm looking for a go big or go home kind of build,
Any advice or kits that would help would be super awesome.
I would suggest looking at other builds than the Phoenix Pack. That thing has a lot of fabricated parts that make it extremely beautiful, but really complex to build both mechanically and electrically, if you dont know what youre doing.

The pneumatics arent too hard to figure out. Actuators and cylinders are easy to find and cheap to buy, however, you wont be able to find them at places like home depot or lowes. Online is the easiest way, but it makes it hard to size everything out and make sure everything is compatible and not cheap garbage. Most of what he has in the phoenix pack is custom made, so its hard to replicate, but can be done easily and cheaply if you follow some other builds.

As for the venting system in the phoenix pack, its pretty simple, but also not easy to replicate. I have been working on something similar and failing miserably. The manifold/regulator that is used on the top of the cans of compressed air is custom made, and I could not find anything anywhere that explains how it works. I have found similar regulators that work with cans of airbrush propellant, as cans of airbrush propellant have threaded tops on them. However, they are all garbage and leake from every moveable part.
NeutronStarPilot liked this
Cool thanks for the reply,

I'm not looking to replicate the Phoenix pack per se,
my pack is definitely going to be a hybrid of several different ideas and figuring out how they all go together.

When has prop making or A hobby build ever been simple and smooth sailing !

It's frustrating that the Phoenix pack maker uploaded the video and said he was planning to sell stuff online, then I geuss his life is doing something else now,
And he just left behind all these tantalising videos and clues.

Even Fincher Technologies has said they're discontinuing the e-cig vent,
Again when is anything simple,

I've got a good idea of what I want, now the arduous task is getting to work and research.

Although maybe you can help, do you see potential in adding the bumper eject and venting to say a Ben of Kent kit?
Or trying something else?
( I'm definitely going to do more homework on a pneumatic rod eject system, either create my own or adapt something?)

Keep me updated on how your condensed air trials are going

Peace out.
NeutronStarPilot wrote: October 21st, 2020, 8:51 am It's frustrating that the Phoenix pack maker uploaded the video and said he was planning to sell stuff online, then I geuss his life is doing something else now,
And he just left behind all these tantalising videos and clues.
Right? I followed their videos for a while and they never responded to anyone on there. On here, they didnt divulge much info, and then exploded in this crazy rant and that was it. Kind of lame.
NeutronStarPilot wrote: October 21st, 2020, 8:51 am Even Fincher Technologies has said they're discontinuing the e-cig vent,
Again when is anything simple,
Thats kind of why I wanted to make a vent system like the Phoenix pack. I had a hard time finding anyone that was selling the e-cig kits, and I couldnt find any great instructions on how to make my own

NeutronStarPilot wrote: October 21st, 2020, 8:51 am Although maybe you can help, do you see potential in adding the bumper eject and venting to say a Ben of Kent kit?
Or trying something else?
( I'm definitely going to do more homework on a pneumatic rod eject system, either create my own or adapt something?)
If you have the money, time, and ability, I would say absolutely. There really isnt anything that will damage your pack, or need you to modify it beyond repair, so I say go for it if you can.

Like I said, pneumatics for this setup are pretty easy and straightforward. You just need to make sure you know exactly what you need, and know exactly what you're buying before you start.
I too saw the Phoenix and messaged the maker and never got a reply then I did a little digging and found this

https://waynesworkshopcosplay.com/shop/ ... thrusters/

It's kind of expensive for what it is but would work like the Phoenix packs venting system, just need to route the spray to vent through the N-Filter. I'm researching parts the incorporate the eject bumper and air duster venting too. I did manage to build a e-cig venting kit in the meantime. You can follow this thread to help with a e-cig venting kit

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46336
NeutronStarPilot liked this
universalcreature wrote: October 21st, 2020, 1:47 pm I too saw the Phoenix and messaged the maker and never got a reply then I did a little digging and found this

https://waynesworkshopcosplay.com/shop/ ... thrusters/

It's kind of expensive for what it is but would work like the Phoenix packs venting system, just need to route the spray to vent through the N-Filter. I'm researching parts the incorporate the eject bumper and air duster venting too. I did manage to build a e-cig venting kit in the meantime. You can follow this thread to help with a e-cig venting kit

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46336
Dang, that thruster thing is cool, but ouch on the price! Thanks for the help with the e-cig.
universalcreature liked this
See this is why I come here

Thanks universalcreature for the link and the e-cig thread.

Yes that is a little pricey for the compressed air device but definitely on the right track. I geuss you make a budget that works.
The Phoenix pack maker has said his was looking around $7500

I mean damn what do you say to that, you can spend about $1200 and get a really decent pack it's hard to see the rest of the mechanisms costing $6300

It's not easy and requires some homework.
But the more information I learn and the more I look into it, it doesn't look quite as unobtainable as it did,
Like its not going to be easy, but looking do-able.

I'm looking at linier actuators over the pneumatics used in the Phoenix pack, I don't know if it was a mounting issue or just the state of actuators 7/8 years ago when that pack was built,
But I see more pros using the electric actuators.
Im actually looking at using Co2 for the vent system. You can get regulators for a Co2 tank for about $45-$50 to lower the psi to something that wont blow a hole in your pack. Its a little easier to set that up than to piece together a canned air system. At least thats what im finding.
Update:

So for anyone following this thread,

I have spoken with Wayne of Wayne's workshop, really cool guy, his thruster mechanism can be hooked up to an arduino and he has mini smoke machines on his site also,
So multiple possibilities there.

As for the Bumper eject and rod eject system, I have made a very crude miniature cardboard model for a proof of concept.

It works surprisingly well, so mechanically with the correct Actuators and motors in place it's looking good.

I would need to size everything up, as I need the correct Actuators and I need sizes to fit in the pack.

This is a project that will likely take time,
I will post any significant updates, and if anyone has any helpful advice it is always welcome.

As for now more homework and sourcing....
As of now it's a super crude cardboard model it looks like something you would have brought home from school,

Like I know what it is And what it's supposed to do, but it might as well be abstract art for anyone else.

There are no mechanical parts yet, the cardboard stands in for them, I just needed a physical model so I could see it and move it the way it will actually work.

I won't be able to buy any parts until I have the proton pack shell, so I can make my own measurements and make sure everything fits,

most likely a Ben of Kent shell, and I'll place that order around Christmas time to get it hopfuly early in the new year,

This gives me time to really fine tune everything.

This is a large project and I'm breaking it down into three main areas

Pack construction

Mechanical/mechanisms

Electronics

And these all have sub-categories so I'm always busy with something.

I'll most likely make some videos and discuss the build process,

Currently trying to find an aluminium wand.
NeutronStarPilot wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:21 am
Currently trying to find an aluminium wand.
Good luck with that, anyone that makes them seems to be overwhelmed with orders :(

Sorta surprised people are going with the venting thing for the pack, it was only introduced in the game as a reload mechanic so you couldn't constantly fire the "blast stream". And apparently the game is no longer canon anymore.
gerard55 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 9:14 am Sorta surprised people are going with the venting thing for the pack, it was only introduced in the game as a reload mechanic so you couldn't constantly fire the "blast stream". And apparently the game is no longer canon anymore.
Yeah, but its really cool. Has it been 100% confirmed that the game is not cannon yet? I thought maybe there would be some easter eggs about it in the movie considering they included the game features in the Afterlife Spengler Wand.
Good luck with that, anyone that makes them seems to be overwhelmed with orders
Don't I know it !

I geuss people like the vent feature, it was good enough for Dan Aykroyd and Harrold Ramis to consider canon,
apparently the game is no longer canon anymore.
I'm not sure?

Interestingly enough the sounds and modes from the game are included on the new Spengler Neutrona wand,

Not sure if that means anything about the new film or just a nice little gift for the fans?

For me including the vent feature ( and other features )
Is also a bit of a challenge for a pack build, and just adds to the fun.

Ultimatley build the pack you want, I'd never say anyone's build is better or worse because they included the venting or didn't.
It's something you should be happy with and it should include whatever you like.

We're all here because we're fans of the films and or game/(s?) and it's cool to share common interests.
NeutronStarPilot wrote: October 28th, 2020, 9:41 am
Good luck with that, anyone that makes them seems to be overwhelmed with orders
Don't I know it !

I geuss people like the vent feature, it was good enough for Dan Aykroyd and Harrold Ramis to consider canon,
apparently the game is no longer canon anymore.
I'm not sure?

Interestingly enough the sounds and modes from the game are included on the new Spengler Neutrona wand,

Not sure if that means anything about the new film or just a nice little gift for the fans?

For me including the vent feature ( and other features )
Is also a bit of a challenge for a pack build, and just adds to the fun.

Ultimatley build the pack you want, I'd never say anyone's build is better or worse because they included the venting or didn't.
It's something you should be happy with and it should include whatever you like.

We're all here because we're fans of the films and or game/(s?) and it's cool to share common interests.
I think the storyline was considered canon but not necessarily the mechanics ingame? The movie never really had a "blast stream" for instance it was just what the game considered to be a "capture stream". It's a bit of a head scratcher as of 2019 the game was still supposedly considered canon, but it's never really elaborated on if actual gameplay elements such as the venting\reload function which are there for gameplay purposes are included in that.

Suppose we'll find out next year if any of these elements make it into afterlife. :-o
I just started working on my “Phoenix”pack last week. Going to be have venting, ejecting bumper and rods. Think I figured out the air system using duster cans. Need to do a lot more testing though to see how durable it is.
Cool that's awesome,

I'll be posting a more detailed update for my build soon.

Would be cool to see some pictures of your progress,
I've opted for electric actuators over pneumatics,
How are you finding the pneumatics ?

My aim is to make a video(s) for my build along with some pictures for the thread.

Which shell or kit are you using, and have you made your own pneumatic system?

Any insights you can offer would be extremely helpful, good luck with your build
Very cool, look forward to your pics and videos.
I’m going to start a thread probably this week when I get some parts in. I ordered a BoK shell for this project, will be a few weeks till I get it. I got some 1.25” acrylic rod to use for the ejecting rods. I ordered a lot of valves and fittings for the pneumatics from Clippard, still waiting on those. I figured out an easy way to attach the air hose to the air duster cans but It just needs some more testing. I know the original Phoenix pack used cables and a single air cylinder for the ejecting rods but I’m going to use one air cylinder per rod.
Good luck with your pack, should be a lot of fun.

Jason
Quick update:

I am happy with the concept for my design and how it should work.

I have received my BOK pack it is awesome, I will upload some pictures to demonstrate my ideas, but for the practical application one area I would appreciate some advice is the electronics.

Getting things to work in sequence and to specific trigger commands etc.
    Proton Props UK

I've seen that too...... Maybe, I don't know? Fu[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]