By ecto88mph
Hey just wanted to share my progress on my Spiritafterlife pack. Obviously, with a spirit pack accuracy goes out the window, so I am not shooting for a prop replica.

-Spirit pack
-Hasbro Wand
-Frankengeek "lights only" kit
-Moby Signs labels
-Pack sounds from Bluetooth speaker

Anyways here are the photos.

By ecto88mph

Added the wiring around the Clippard valve, added a bit more black/brown wash to dirty it up a bit. Thinking about getting some fuller earth to add layers of dust...

I know there are two switches (red and green) I am thinking of maybe 3d printing fake switches and gluing them in place... well, see.

Looking forward to the next convention or Halloween where I can take this thing out.
gamera1968 liked this
By ecto88mph
Marvinshelbygt wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:08 am Is the army green tape around that split loom actually there in the afterlife pack? Pack looks amazing btw!
Thanks!

Yes, I believe so. While I have not seen full photos of the actual screen used props myself, I am using reference photos of a fan made pack made by someone who made their pack based on reference photos of 4 packs commissioned from a prop house for the film.

After comparing the fan pack and confirmed photos of the screen used props I was able to match the two packs enough that I felt the fan made pack was a legit replica built by someone who has seen the screen used pack.

That said, this is the internet and I don't personally know the person who built the fan pack I am referencing, so builder beware.... but im pretty sure it's correct.
By ecto88mph
Apologies if my post is out of order, I did the majority of this back in October and never got around to posting about it.

I wanted to highlight some more things I learned during my build that might help people.

First, let's talk about lenses and the best way to color them. The stock Spirit pack (at least mine) came with white plastic lenses for the cyclotron and a white piece of plastic with a blue sticker for the power cell. No good.

An easy fix that I found turned out really well was to get some Testors brand clear spray enamel, they sold it in red and blue. I found it at Hobby Lobby and I think the total was like $5 or $6.

The blue sticker on the power cell lense peeled off pretty easy and I hit them both with their respective colors. they turned out really well, let plenty of light through, and since I was using stock parts they installed very easily.

So yeah highly recommend the spray enamel from Testors.
By ecto88mph
On the fan-made packs, there is a black cord that goes from the outermost side of the PPD and follows up with the ribbon cable and yellow data cable. I actually found the perfect thing for this, TV Coax cable. I had an extra one laying around and bent it to the right shape and hot glued it to the side of the PPD. Hit the hot glue with silver sharpy to mimic welds. Only needed to use a wire cutter to clip the little pointy part that comes out of the end of the cable.

Peet liked this
By ecto88mph
The tubing that comes with the Spirit pack is kind of garbage out of the box. The tube that connects the pack to the wand is way too stiff and hard to manage.

To fix I disconnected the tubbing from the pack and wand (well I pitched the spirit wand). Then I clamped one end to the ceiling in my basement and clamped a weighted object to the bottom and let it free hang. Let that sit for a few days to get the bends out. Then I cut a split down the entire length. the split allows a higher degree of flex in the tubing.

Then Going with the Afterlife theme I added a metal clip, liberal use of electrical tape, and added some exposed wires. Note there is one section right above that metal clip that seems to have a LOT of electrical tape.
Peet liked this
By ecto88mph

Added some stuff to the thrower hose. The green chunky hose is "EPDM Rubber Military Oxygen Mask Hose" or that's how it's listed on eBay.

Also added a connector that is similar looking to the one in the movie coming off the handle of the thrower. It's not movie accurate, I believe the one in the movie is silver/metalic. clearly not accurate, but for the budget build spirit pack, I'm happy with it.

I Will be doing a few minor things here or there, still need to fix the lines coming out of the injectors (only have 1 red line).

I also kind of want to add more grime to try and age it a bit. but for the most part, it's ready for Halloween parties this year.
By ecto88mph
Fienen wrote: July 19th, 2021, 1:05 pm What was your strategy for weathering the stickers? Or did you get the pre-weathered set from Moby?
Those are the Moby pre-weathered stickers, but they also got hit with acrylic paint during the weathering process... so I guess both
    Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]