The top of the booster box is my first "big" piece off the printer. From here on out, pretty much everything coming off it is in the 14+ hour window.
In the mean time, I started ordering some of the smaller detail parts. I didn't want to print this stuff. Good, "real" details will help hide faults in my bigger print areas by drawing the eye. Also, you might note I went with the GB2 cable instead of GB1. This was mostly a choice of convenience.
Printing the bottom of the booster box. Quentin suggests that almost everything can be printed without supports. I got paranoid though and added some for this piece.
No... wait... maybe this will work out okay after all. Gonna roll the dice and let it ride.
Success! Despite my overly cautious approach nearly blowing the print, it survived (with some mess on the inside).
Starting to lay out some parts after completing the power cell. It might actually start to look like something soon. I'm already behind on sanding.
Let's put some stuff together. Starting with the booster box, I hit it with some 5 minute epoxy.
Then I lined up the top of the booster, and used toothpicks as registration guides. Add clamps, wait. Top left you can also see the hose connector with the magnetic back plate drying. I flipped it upside down and used the magnets as "clamps"
You didn't think I was gonna trust glue alone, right? After the epoxy set, I followed in behind with M3 screws and nuts. You can probably get away without nuts on these if you wanted, but I have them, so I might as well over engineer it. I'm also not done securing it yet. This stuff will never come apart when I'm done, trust me.
Before getting to the final reinforcement, I hit the front with some filler on the seam and on a bad spot up top just to get a head start so it can dry and be ready for a first sanding soon. I only filled the very top of the sides, since they are mostly hidden by other parts. I don't plan on wasting time finishing stuff that you can't see.
I also got the two pieces of the bumper printed and sanded the connection point a little. It fits quite tight and stable.
Same treatment. Doped the joint up with epoxy, set it flush, and followed behind with filler.