By thor2015
I dug my old V71 Mark X shell out of storage and am finally working on putting it together.

One of the issues I encountered was that I wanted to use an aluminum n-filter but the one I got from the GBFans shop was just a hair too big. Fortunately I had a forstner bit that was the correct size.

Here is the pack in its current state with most of the little bits and pieces laid out for mockup purposes.

By thor2015
Another slight issue I had was with the GBFans beam filler tube. It is tapped for the correct 1/8-27 thread but the Clippard fitting is tapered so it stops with about 2 or 3 threads still showing:

So, I put it on the lathe to shave down the outer parts of the threads to a consistent diameter and followed up with the 1/8-27 tap to shave off the inside.

Now the fitting threads all the way into the tube like it should.

By kind2311
Wow V71 Mk. X. Blast from the past! The shell my first cherry pack was built on!

Too bad Exoray ghosted Venkman71 and never even gave him a single pull after V71 gave Exo the foundation for the build and full selling permissions.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
mburkit liked this
By JWils23
I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of seeing a proton pack getting built. Especially when it has all sorts of pretty aluminum parts! Looking forward to seeing this one progress.
By thor2015
Thanks, JWils and kind- I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished as it has been sitting around collecting dust and something always seems to get in the way. I'm currently working on the cyclotron lighting. I saw an idea on FB and want to try to replicate it and put my own touches on it. I'm also just for grins working with some brass hex stock on the lathe to see if I can replicate the Clippard fittings so I can make them point in the correct direction when they are snugged down instead of relying on glue or bearing down on them with a wrench.

I am torn on the aluminum because the pieces really pop against the dark shell and it'd be a more unique build if I left at least some of those pieces unpainted, but again I love the look of the originals too.

As far as the history of the pack shell goes, unfortunately I've seen this hobby (prop replicas in general) destroy trust and friendships which is a shame because this should all be for fun and relaxation.

Anyways, hope to have some more updates soon!
By thor2015
Not a whole lot of progress to report but I did get to play with some electronics this weekend. I also tried my hand at replicating my Clippard brass elbow for the beam line tube.

I know some of you may think "GBFans has these for 4 bucks in the shop. Why would you bother with this project?"

First of all, I'm relatively new to machining and it was a good starter project. I've used lathes before but to turn brake rotors and drums- not exactly custom.

Secondly, Clippard fittings are not made to be cosmetic parts. Meaning that when you buy one, the hose barbs won't necessarily point in the same direction once threaded down snug in the hole. Making one this way ensures I get the barb at least closely oriented and not 40 degrees off. I'm also not a huge fan of glues or epoxies on threaded parts.

Also, I do have some more work to do on the part. I need to bevel the edges slightly and then drill and tap the hole for the hose barb but all in all I'd say it was a good first run.

tobycj liked this

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]