A few weeks ago I was going through a few things and came across my old Proton Pack that I built back in 2013 and haven't worn since 2014. Why is that? Two reasons . One, 2014 was the last year I attended any sci fi conventions because I was away working and the time frames just didn't line up. The second reason was the weight, it was just too heavy for my lower back. Even with extra padding sewed into the shoulder straps. If I were to guess the damn thing weighed around 25 or 30 pounds more or less. It was made out of thin wood but even thin wood can get heavy when it's held together with x number of screws and containing various electronic components.
So I decided to dismantle it, and what took me 9 months of research and construction was gone in a half hour.
That doesn't mean of course I didn't salvage parts off it.
Now as some of you may know I did a Spirit Halloween Spengler pack a few months back. I'll be using that one for Halloween and such. I also had what I call a first generation Spirit pack collecting dust. I decided to see what I could do with it and I began my project to replace my 2013 pack. Since I was working with this 80% pack and whatever parts I could salvage off my old one, this pack wasn't going to be screen accurate but inspired by the Spengler pack.
First thing I did was strip the Spirit pack, there was nothing Internal or external I wanted to keep except for some fittings. For those who don't know the spirit pack is two parts held together with a couple of brackets. I took advantage of this to make the pack longer.An accurate Proton Pack Shell is about 26 inches long. This of course is too long for the Spirit Pack proportions so I compromised at around 23 inches. Any longer and there's be too much empty space to try to hide.
I also had something new that wasn't available in 2013. 3D printed parts. In this case, Cyclotron covers to make it larger.