damster117 wrote:Lol! Be careful not to lose any then, I keep misplacing the exact bolt I need right when I need it to continue my build! Hey... I've just noticed you have GB2 front knobs there- I've been hunting high and low for those. Are they 3D printed too?
Yep. The front knobs of the trap are 3D printed since I can't find the round ones and no one knows what those Square ones are.
So my wife ended up falling ill this evening and decided to go to bed just after we put our daughter to bed... so I get started working on the trap. I put away all the nonessential pieces and got out all the deluxe pieces that I needed for the evening:
The easiest first step is attaching the hinge plate to the front pedal. Now the plate and screws that are sent with the deluxe kit are bright and need to be painted...
Next was wiring up the pedal switch and enclosing it within the bellows. I wired it up according to the trap build instructions (No electronics tutorial yet) and I used this really cool silicone wire I got from Adafruit. Its crazy flexible and I can snake it anywhere and it doesn't bunch up on me, plus it takes heat well and when soldering the sheathing doest melt off.
Then this piece simply gets bolted to the base.
Once the paint dried on the pedal and hinge, I screwed them to the base and added the acorn nut (which is also bright in the kit, so it was painted too).
Next came the boxes. The smaller box is made of aluminum while the larger box is plastic. The 3D prints include templates to use for the boxes to line everything up perfectly (if you decided to go with ONLY 3D prints and no deluxe parts then the boxes will print with holes already in them). So I laid out the templates and marked them with my center punch...
...and drilled everything out. I used a step-bit as often as possible to give me a clean, round hole.
Now the front and back holes were drilled 11/32" and then tapped ⅛"NPT for the Legris straight and Foster fitting. The Legris went in perfectly, but the foster gave me grief so I just drilled it out to 13/32" and used the brass nut from the kit to secure it. There will be some wiring that goes on in here, but there is no electronics tutorial yet so none of that has been done. I am using the GBFans Legris Straight and Banjo replicas here. The Foster fitting comes with the deluxe parts.
Same deal with the larger box. Mark then drill.
The ribbon cable went together quickly. The parts kit that I got for the trap had the wrong color connectors for some of the ribbon pieces so I got the correct ones from GBFans (though I made mistake and ordered the wrong part so I had to paint one of them black). I had a set of decals that are here on the boards printed in Vinyl from FedEx Office and the dry rubs from the shop here too. The dry rubs are harder to put on than they used to be, meaning the surface has to be degreased in order for them to stick. The bellows don't sit flush on the pedal simply because I haven't glued them down yet. The relay is an accurate ITT Italian relay. This was an easy build since there wasn't any filling or sanding I had to do. The trap itself is another story and that is going to take a while so stay tuned!
I have not failed... I have succeeded in finding what doesn't work.My GB1 HERO pack build!
--> http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=36997My GB1 uniform build!
--> http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =4&t=36254My 3D Printed Ghost Trap Build!