By Muwarrior21
Anybody know who makes the best trap kit these days or at least the main body etc?

Is the nickatron site gone? I cant see that anywhere?
Does somebody make a metal one or who has the most premium kit?

Thanks
By ccv66
Throwing chickens hero trap is probably the best I've seen. Looks like he's sold out on Etsy.. He has an other trap kit, but I'd would probably message him see if you could on a waiting list for his hero. Doubt you could get it before Halloween but it would be worth the wait.

Nicatron closed up shop
By Mat
Nick-a-Tron retired from selling prop parts a couple months ago I believe.

Benofkent has a ghost trap kit on etsy which is the one I ordered but since I only ordered it today I have no personal experience with it! :)
By Muwarrior21
Yes i love throwing chicken. I built his neutrona kit but all i saw was the solid block stunt model for now

Anybody 3d print theirs with that file set on thingamaverse?
By mike_waclo
Just built a Benofkent kit this summer... awesome kit! It does take a bit of sanding to lose the 3D print lines, but it’s very solid. I upgraded a lot of the parts with bits from Charlesworth Dynamics on Etsy (as seen on his build videos on Tested.com) and they were worth every penny!

Video of installed light kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g7gEZVCyE8
Kingpin, back, Christof and 2 others liked this
By Muwarrior21
awesome build man!!, Where do you buy the aluminum side plates for the trap now? I dont see them on gbfans?

Also did you prime and paint the black 3d parts or just sand smooth? If you did paint what did you use? krylon fusion type of paint , maybe even a filler primer would be needed to get the metal look?
By mike_waclo
Muwarrior21 wrote: October 8th, 2019, 12:13 pm awesome build man!!, Where do you buy the aluminum side plates for the trap now? I dont see them on gbfans?

Also did you prime and paint the black 3d parts or just sand smooth? If you did paint what did you use? krylon fusion type of paint , maybe even a filler primer would be needed to get the metal look?
Thanks! It was definitely a fun build! The side plates actually aren't metal... They're Charlesworth's faux-metal plates. The vector plate with the resistor is real, and from GBFans.

I did prime and sand first, using Rustoleum filler primer.

Hit everything with three courses of sanding, and then moved onto a flat black paint & primer mix.

I did the door stripes with yellow electrical tape. I'm sure I could've done another round of filler primer and sanded even more to get things totally flat, but the little traces of 3d filament lines that remain in spots almost give it a wood grain-line look, and I kind of like the vibe of that... But to each their own. :)
Muwarrior21 wrote:also has anyone compared the charles dynamics 3d print plans / results to the ben of kent for how robust they are? Similar? pros / cons?
I haven't compared in great detail, but from watching the Tested videos, there are some differences in the structure of the trap body. The Benofkent trap is largely a few solid pieces. Sean's kit, on the other hand, is build around more of a "frame" which leaves a lot more room for building in the door mechanics, lights, and the smoke features. I added lights, and I'm working on smoke, but it'd be damn hard to fit the door mechanism into this kit.
By abaka
mike_waclo wrote: October 6th, 2019, 12:49 pm Just built a Benofkent kit this summer... awesome kit! It does take a bit of sanding to lose the 3D print lines, but it’s very solid. I upgraded a lot of the parts with bits from Charlesworth Dynamics on Etsy (as seen on his build videos on Tested.com) and they were worth every penny!

Did your vector plate and resistor fit....Mine fromthe shop is too thin tofit the resistor....Annoyingly.
By Theoderic
abaka wrote: October 31st, 2019, 2:57 pm
Did your vector plate and resistor fit....Mine fromthe shop is too thin tofit the resistor....Annoyingly.

Well afaik, the resistors mounting-flaps need to be filed or sanded a bit to get it fitting into the right spot at the GB1-conform vector plate. That' mustn't be considered a flaw of any trap-kit, as i had this issue with a real old stock resistor on an actual aluminum vector plate as well. :!:

Seasons Greetings!
By mike_waclo
abaka wrote: October 31st, 2019, 2:57 pmDid your vector plate and resistor fit....Mine fromthe shop is too thin tofit the resistor....Annoyingly.
The tips of the screw tabs on the resistor did need filed down to fit within the vector plate, but I believe that's common. I used a Dremel to file down the edges of the tabs bit by bit, until I could fit the resistor where it needed to go.
By cristovalc
Out of curiosity, what did you find was the best method of sanding? Did you just wet or dry sand and what course did you start at? I just received my kit and am itching to put it together, but it's my first time working with painting/texturing a 3d printed item and want to know how much elbow grease to be putting in... Thanks!
By mike_waclo
cristovalc wrote: November 25th, 2019, 9:39 pm Out of curiosity, what did you find was the best method of sanding? Did you just wet or dry sand and what course did you start at? I just received my kit and am itching to put it together, but it's my first time working with painting/texturing a 3d printed item and want to know how much elbow grease to be putting in... Thanks!
I'm a total novice at this, so I'm going to guess that I just did dry sanding. I can't recall exactly what grits of paper I used for the three rounds, but when I get home from work later, I'll try to see if I still have the paper leftover and let you know what I bought.
cristovalc liked this
By mike_waclo
cristovalc wrote: November 25th, 2019, 9:39 pm Out of curiosity, what did you find was the best method of sanding? Did you just wet or dry sand and what course did you start at? I just received my kit and am itching to put it together, but it's my first time working with painting/texturing a 3d printed item and want to know how much elbow grease to be putting in... Thanks!
Sorry for the delay... Was out of town for Thanksgiving and just got back. Found my paper from the build, and I'd used 80, 120, and 320 grits to get it to the level of smoothness I was happy with before painting. Probably could have done some more, but I was impatient. :)
cristovalc, Adub794 liked this
By Townz
Just built a Benofkent kit this summer... awesome kit! It does take a bit of sanding to lose the 3D print lines, but it’s very solid. I upgraded a lot of the parts with bits from Charlesworth Dynamics on Etsy (as seen on his build videos on Tested.com) and they were worth every penny!
Did you purchase the screws from Charlesworth Dynamics or did the screws from the Benofkent kit fit the faux metal plates?
I'm planning on doing the same as you except I'm thinking about trying a GB1 trap.
Last edited by Kingpin on July 13th, 2020, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
By mike_waclo
Townz wrote: July 13th, 2020, 12:22 pmDid you purchase the screws from Charlesworth Dynamics or did the screws from the Benofkent kit fit the faux metal plates?
I'm planning on doing the same as you except I'm thinking about trying a GB1 trap.
I used all of the screws that came with the Benofkent kit, and did not purchase any of Sean's screws. They fit the faux-metal plates just fine!
Townz liked this
By NGLetho
Your kit looks amazing!

I am anxiously awaiting my BoK trap kit. Beside the sanding, are there any tips you could provide with his kit? Did you run Into anything major, odd or real tricky?

Thank you :)
Last edited by Kingpin on July 17th, 2020, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Removed unnecessarily quoted post content.
By mike_waclo
NGLetho wrote: July 14th, 2020, 6:03 am I am anxiously awaiting my BoK trap kit. Beside the sanding, are there any tips you could provide with his kit? Did you run Into anything major, odd or real tricky?

The only area I really remember having trouble with was the wheel wells molded into the 3D print... The space was a bit tight, and I was getting friction against the wheels. This area took quite a bit of grinding-out with a Dremel to get enough clearance for the wheels to roll freely.

Not directly related to the kit, I was having trouble getting the pedal spring from Charlesworth Dynamics to adhere to the pedal & base on it's own — it's a very strong spring. So I ended up using the 3D printed fake spring from Benofkent to glue in as a core. It worked, but now the pedal can't be pressed at all. That's my only regret in the build... I probably could have figured something out to make it work for aesthetics, but I wasn't putting any functionality into the pedal anyway, so I just pushed through it.
By NGLetho
mike_waclo wrote:
NGLetho wrote: July 14th, 2020, 6:03 am I am anxiously awaiting my BoK trap kit. Beside the sanding, are there any tips you could provide with his kit? Did you run Into anything major, odd or real tricky?

The only area I really remember having trouble with was the wheel wells molded into the 3D print... The space was a bit tight, and I was getting friction against the wheels. This area took quite a bit of grinding-out with a Dremel to get enough clearance for the wheels to roll freely.

Not directly related to the kit, I was having trouble getting the pedal spring from Charlesworth Dynamics to adhere to the pedal & base on it's own — it's a very strong spring. So I ended up using the 3D printed fake spring from Benofkent to glue in as a core. It worked, but now the pedal can't be pressed at all. That's my only regret in the build... I probably could have figured something out to make it work for aesthetics, but I wasn't putting any functionality into the pedal anyway, so I just pushed through it.
Thank you for the headsup. :) I did order the mega kit from charlesworth dynamics, so that is good to know!
By mbez40
mike_waclo wrote: October 6th, 2019, 12:49 pm I upgraded a lot of the parts with bits from Charlesworth Dynamics on Etsy (as seen on his build videos on Tested.com) and they were worth every penny!
Great looking build mate. My BOK trap just arrived. Did the faux metal plates from Charlesworth fit the BOK trap OK or did you have to make adjustments?
Last edited by Kingpin on January 14th, 2021, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
By mike_waclo
mbez40 wrote: January 14th, 2021, 7:52 am
mike_waclo wrote: October 6th, 2019, 12:49 pm I upgraded a lot of the parts with bits from Charlesworth Dynamics on Etsy (as seen on his build videos on Tested.com) and they were worth every penny!
Great looking build mate. My BOK trap just arrived. Did the faux metal plates from Charlesworth fit the BOK trap OK or did you have to make adjustments?
The side plates fit fine... I think I may have had to drill new screw holes in the trap body to match the plates, but it's been long enough that I'm not entirely sure about that.

I definitely did have to trim the two top stems on the front plate a bit to get it to fit. Maybe about a half inch? I just used the BOK plate as a template to mark the Charlesworth plate where I needed to cut it, and then used a rotary blade on my Dremel to cut the ends off.
By mike_waclo
mbez40 wrote: January 15th, 2021, 6:53 am That's really useful. Thanks a lot for your response!! By the way, did you put any electronics in it?
Nothing insofar as motorizing the doors, but I have a simple light kit I bought from Etsy to run the bar graph and flashing red light, and then I installed a MicroFogger 2. The lights run on a 9V battery, and the fogger is rechargeable and has a remote control... I think both are very effective.

I've also in the last few months replaced my front knobs with a set from Etsy that's a better match for the GB1 ballroom scene...

By Lyfie
mike_waclo wrote: October 6th, 2019, 12:49 pm Just built a Benofkent kit this summer... awesome kit! It does take a bit of sanding to lose the 3D print lines, but it’s very solid. I upgraded a lot of the parts with bits from Charlesworth Dynamics on Etsy (as seen on his build videos on Tested.com) and they were worth every penny!

How did you extend your trap cartridge so it over hangs? My BOK sits flush.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]