By alternatecoppa
On the photo reference page for the GB2 stunt trap it says "There are some strips on the trap, that when a chemical is applied, it will smoke"

You can see them applied next to either side of the doors on the ridges of the outer trap case. They look like black bars with white dotted lines on their edges.

Anyone have any idea what those strips are called, what chemical makes them smoke, and of course, where or if you can get them?

By chaoslantern
have you tried dry ice or smoke bombs???
By stanztheman
Why kill yourself trying to find them? There are MUCH easier ways of making a trap smoke. If you wanna find them just to find them, thats fine, more power to ya. But I jus thought I'd offer an easier alternative...

Build a hollow trap (whatever you wanna build it out of, preferably something NON flamable) line the inside with tin/aluminum foil, tape a smoke bomb down on the inside of the trap, light it, close the doors and go... it works wonderfully, look at my trailer if you want a demo of how it looks...

http://www.youtube.com/?v=_FgcPq5LgFY
By dashrendar88
I used some dry ice in a pop can inside my trap. Worked great.
By UKGB
Great tips guys.

The only concern I have (with having a platic trap) is the heat generated by any smoke genrating method as the last thing I want to do is trash my trap.

There's also the risk that if you used the effect in some places you run the risk of setting the fire alarm off - common sense I know but we've all been caught up in the moment of doing something then thought about it afterwards :D

So what method generates the least amount of heat but still gives a good effect? I guess the strip idea is a good one as at least everything is on the outside of the trap and the majority of any heat generated can escape.
By Ectoman_913
In my stunt trap. I was working a Haunted House and came out with the pack smoking (using dry ice) And I had a plate on the bottom of my trap to cover the wood I had made it with, well when I ran out the plate had frozen fell off and broke on the floor. Then During a commercial we filmed we decided to use smoke bombs. I was coming out of the house with the smoking trap when the inside burst into flames as I comming out I had to walk of the screen and try and put it out. Ah the smell what memories. Well jsut giving some of my personel experiences with my trap.

-Ectoman
By alternatecoppa
Those are all great suggestions guys. I was more interested in finding out what those strips were for the novelty of knowing all about the FX tricks. I certainly don't intend to use them as my only trap-smoking method. Especially since all that chemical business sounds a bit hazardous and probably best used under short periods in controlled environments with lots of FX department PAs poised to put them out.
By Torwen
Some "idea", may it works but it sounds silly *ggg*:

I just watched the bonus specials of my evil dead dvd last weekend. there was some making of footage and then I saw something funny:

in some scenes you can see that smoke is coming out of the hair of the zombies (and out of their clothes).

for this effect, a small machine was used (proply dry ice machine) which was kind of small and handy.
when you triggered it, it made a loud hum and smoke came out of a small pipe so with that machine they prepared the actors hairs and clothes for the scene and it looked good!

so here is my idea on the trap:

If you build a trap wich can be closed airtight, you can blow some dry ice smoke through a vent IN the trap.

when you need the smoke to come out, just open (with a "secret" slider or something) some vents which are beside the trapdoor and the smoke will come out.

for filming, in which you see a smoking trap for a maximum of a minute, it would be enough smoke and you dont have to put dry ice directly in the trap or a smoke bomb (cause of fire!).

ok...I think no one understands what I am wirting about here *ggg*

(sorry I'm austrian)

Herer would be a handy fog machine to which a pipe or drain can be applied to blow some fog into a trap!

By stanztheman
Everyone worries about the fire possibility of smoke bombs, but its very easily rectified. like I said, line the inside with aluminum foil and leave space open between the edges of the trap and the doors for smoke (and heat) to escape through, also, making the trap out of non flamable material is probably a good idea. This will prevent fire hazards.
By Radar
It's also a good idea to keep your smoke bombs small, like the "Colored Smoke Balls" sold in many places. Using one of those tubular smoke bombs is probably a bad idea because they burn for several minutes and could quickly smoke out an indoor Halloween party.
By stanztheman
Oh yeah, I use them, I only use the white ones of those variety though, because colored smoke doesnt look right.

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]