Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By JurorNo.2
Winston1986 wrote:I was going to make a topic about this but I decided to put it in here. Watching Ghostbusters 2 several times I recently thought about the fact the mood slime seems rather inconsistent in the Courtroom scene. Like it didn't start growing when Ray yelled at the Con Ed guy on the stand it or all the times when the judge yelled, "Shut up!"
Well the slime was just waiting for the dramatic music to start. :mrgreen:
Sav C, mrmichaelt, pferreira1983 and 2 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
Winston1986 wrote:I was going to make a topic about this but I decided to put it in here. Watching Ghostbusters 2 several times I recently thought about the fact the mood slime seems rather inconsistent in the Courtroom scene. Like it didn't start growing when Ray yelled at the Con Ed guy on the stand it or all the times when the judge yelled, "Shut up!"
I'm fairly sure there is a GB2 edition thread in this sub forum.

EDIT: Yup. It was on page 5.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24873
By One time
-When Ray falls out of bed during the ghost blowjob sequence Venkman is looking at him.

-When Egon and Janine are interviewing the keymaster there's a newspaper clipping saying a ghost was busted at a racquetball competition.
By One time
Kingpin wrote: September 20th, 2018, 10:04 am
One time wrote: September 19th, 2018, 2:48 pm Hotel Sedgewick is named after Henry Sidgwick and Charles Sidgwick Minot. A very Aykroyd thing to do.
What indicated this?
Aykroyd has stated that he based Ghostbusters on an article on quantum mechanics and parapsychology he read in the American Society for Psychical Research about how apparitional experiences (the actual term used by real parapsychologists to refer to what we call ghosts) may manifest themselves in the real world.

In this interview right at the beginning he states this.

https://youtu.be/2Bl1MmSgPAc

In the next interview he lists the title of the article too at 1:25s, beware it's a long title.

https://youtu.be/R7HSgi_k5rY

Also 03:07s in this video

https://youtu.be/ec5lB0zNWJE

Also in the above video at 04:50s he goes into full Ray Stantz mode, it's like you're watching a deleted scene from the original GB 1984.

So the ASPR is pretty important in the mythology of Ghostbusters. So much so that I believe Erin Gilbert had ASPR certificates in her office in ATC as easter eggs.

Henry Sidgwick was the 1st president of the original Society for Psychical Research when it was formed in the UK in 1882.

The unrelated Charles Sidgwick Minot was founder of the American version of the SPR, the ASPR, two years later in 1884.

Considering that both unrelated founders are called Sidgwick, the renaming of the Biltmore hotel to Sedgewick hotel is beyond a coincidence in my view.

The latter is just a more contemporary (to 1984) version of the original 19th century name.
Sav C, Noremon, TheManEatingToaster and 1 others liked this
By Kingpin
One time wrote: September 20th, 2018, 2:37 pmConsidering that both unrelated founders are called Sidgwick, the renaming of the Biltmore hotel to Sedgewick hotel is beyond a coincidence in my view.
I'm not buying that, if the naming had been intentional, surely it would've been called the Sidgewick in thee film. Plus, wouldn't we have heard a confirmation of this long before now? Even now, it doesn't seem like it's been officially confirmed.

It seems a coincidence, an amusing one, but a coincidence.
By JTysonLambert
Both Henry and Eleanor Sidgwick are mentioned in Dan's father's book, which deals heavily with the SPR/ASPR and the Aykroyd family's extensive history with the paranormal. Also, Charles Sidgwick Minot's name is actually spelled Sedgwick. The hotel name is spelled slightly differently than both of those names, but the idea that the name was pulled out of thin air, yet happens to be so similar to not one but two very prominent figures in paranormal history, is more of a stretch in my mind.

There was also a group of four "men of science" (one of them being Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) that investigated mediums to try to prove or disprove their legitimacy. Dan obviously pulled heavily from his family's history with the paranormal. I would suggest that you read his father's book if you haven't. Some very interesting stuff in there that Ghostbusters fans will enjoy. Several times a bulb lit up for me as I noticed parallels between things in the book and things Dan slipped into the movie. It also adds a feeling of legitimacy to the Ghostbusters themselves as if this is the natural progression of paranormal studies. From seance investigations and the SPR in the past to needing actual paranormal exterminators in the present. I was honestly expecting the name Tobin to pop up in the book somewhere. Sadly, it didn't.
By One time
JTysonLambert wrote: September 21st, 2018, 8:47 am The idea that the name was pulled out of thin air, yet happens to be so similar to not one but two very prominent figures in paranormal history, is more of a stretch in my mind.
Exactly. "Sedgewick" isn't the first name you'd come up with in naming a hotel unless both founders of an institute you hold in high regard are also named accordingly.

The reason it's called Sedgewick instead of Sidgwick or Sedgwick could be attributed to due diligence in avoiding potential licencing copyright claims with the estates and the fact that the original name sounds quite dated even by 1984 standards.
By mrmichaelt
Like Kingpin, I'm not entirely sure. It's not as good as a direct confirmation from Aykroyd by his Twitter account or a video recording Q&A or a foot note in Making Ghostbusters. The issue with concluding it is based on the Sidgwicks is "consensus by 'it sounds right' to me" when there's still the chance it's wrong. For all we know, the names could have nothing to do with the subject or any reference to literature and what not. Sedgewick and Tobin could well be the last names of his neighbors in Canada. Or they were his teachers in high school. I'm not saying you two are wrong, but I'd like one more nail to close the coffin with so to speak.
Sav C liked this
By One time
mrmichaelt wrote: September 21st, 2018, 10:48 pm Like Kingpin, I'm not entirely sure. It's not as good as a direct confirmation from Aykroyd by his Twitter account or a video recording Q&A or a foot note in Making Ghostbusters. The issue with concluding it is based on the Sidgwicks is "consensus by 'it sounds right' to me" when there's still the chance it's wrong. For all we know, the names could have nothing to do with the subject or any reference to literature and what not. Sedgewick and Tobin could well be the last names of his neighbors in Canada. Or they were his teachers in high school. I'm not saying you two are wrong, but I'd like one more nail to close the coffin with so to speak.
Absolutely agree. To me it's beyond a reasonable doubt. To others it may not be. It's interesting nevertheless. Do you know Dan Aykroyd's twitter handle? There only one way to find out for sure :)
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
One time wrote: September 21st, 2018, 7:59 pmExactly. "Sedgewick" isn't the first name you'd come up with in naming a hotel unless both founders of an institute you hold in high regard are also named accordingly.
We don't know the thought process behind it, we don't even know for certain it was Aykroyd who came up with it... We're kinda assuming at this point that Dan came up with it, when for all we know it could've been Harold.
One time wrote: September 21st, 2018, 7:59 pmThe reason it's called Sedgewick instead of Sidgwick or Sedgwick could be attributed to due diligence in avoiding potential licencing copyright claims with the estates and the fact that the original name sounds quite dated even by 1984 standards.
I really don't buy that either. This wasn't name-checking an organisation like AT&T or Pacific Bell, calling the hotel the "Sidgewick" wouldn't have run afoul of copyright or licensing issues - Henry Sidgwick and Charles Sidgwick Minot would not have been the only people in the United States to have that name. Naming the hotel after them would've incurred no greater legal threat than there would've been if Weaver Hall had been named after Sigourney.

What I'm willing to believe... If the Hotel was intended to be named after them, is a spelling error cropped up in one of the scripts and stuck. We have the errors regarding the bible passages and Tunguska blast.
mrmichaelt, Sav C liked this
By Peter Venkman Jr.
For me the biggest "How did I miss that" moment in Ghostbusters was Peter playing with the slime on his shoulder when Ray tells the Hotel Manager to keep the staff outside the ballroom until Slimer is contained. Also I did not pick up Egon's hand signals to Peter when Peter is billing the hotel until I listened to the DVD audio commentary. The same went for Janine listening to Peck's conversation with Peter in the firehouse.

For Ghostbusters II, I was really surprised to see the photos of Nakia and Top Cat on the wall behind Peter and his producer Norman after the taping of "The World of the Psychic". Also I was pretty surprised that I never noticed the newspaper clippings and magazine covers in his office at the firehouse when the Ghostbusters were back in business until a recent thread here pointed them out. Also the two firefighters having a fist fight outside the museum escaped my noticed for many years until now.
By Matt Campbell
I just noticed when I was watching the movie yesterday that in the scene where Winston is being interviewed by Janine, when Peter & Ray return to the firehall the doors on one of the traps Ray is carrying are slightly open.
By JulesHiggs
One of my favorites that took forever to notice: during the original Ghostbusters commercial that airs on TV, Egon looks directly down at the ground to see his "mark" when he steps forward to talk, and then looks back down to see his other "mark" to step back.

Very inside joke filmmaker stuff!
By SpaceBallz
Not a huge thing, but I noticed on my friend's 4k TV during Ghostbusters 2 that Ray had 2 cigars hanging out of his arm pocket. They disappear after this scene though.

I noticed in Ghostbusters 1 during the Walter Peck intro that Janine peeks her head around the corner when the conversation starts getting heated.

By Alex Newborn
JulesHiggs wrote: October 19th, 2018, 10:44 am One of my favorites that took forever to notice: during the original Ghostbusters commercial that airs on TV, Egon looks directly down at the ground to see his "mark" when he steps forward to talk, and then looks back down to see his other "mark" to step back.

Very inside joke filmmaker stuff!
Producer Joe Medjuck says he loves that detail in the 1999 DVD commentary track.

Alex
Sav C liked this
By JulesHiggs
I love that Ray's character is just casually drinking a beer while meeting their first client. Total professional, haha.

Also, noticed that Egon is drinking a soda while the other guys drink beer during the Chinese food dinner. Looks like Egon doesn't drink!
By Winston1986
JulesHiggs wrote: December 12th, 2018, 11:12 pm I love that Ray's character is just casually drinking a beer while meeting their first client. Total professional, haha.

Also, noticed that Egon is drinking a soda while the other guys drink beer during the Chinese food dinner. Looks like Egon doesn't drink!
Funny you say that. Because I also noticed that he's also the only ghostbuster in the first movie that doesn't smoke.
Sav C liked this
By JulesHiggs
A couple GB2 notices:

1. When Janine answers the phone and says “Yes, we’re back” - you can see a little official Ghostbusters envelope on the desk.

2. When the boys first appear in the charcoal grey suits with Santa hats, what the hell piece of gear is Venkman carrying?!
Sav C, Wafflerobot liked this
By deadderek
Peter Venkman Jr. wrote: February 24th, 2019, 3:27 pm Just watched Ghostbusters on Blu Ray last night in honor of its 35th anniversary and I never noticed before that during the ending sequence the priests giving last rights to the pile of marshmallow on the street.
Okay..now I have to look for that.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]