Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By BRD 527
Alex Newborn wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm
And I just found this clip the other day. Dan Aykroyd during the press day for Ghostbusters in May of '84. Folks on the YouTube comments said they found the smoking as distracting as his socks.

Alex
Wow I never noticed Dan was in Temple of Doom before! :blush:

My dad used to where goofy socks like that with his elbow pad suits to church all the time in the 80's lol :love:
By Alex Newborn
BRD 527 wrote: February 4th, 2021, 7:47 am
Wow I never noticed Dan was in Temple of Doom before! :blush:
Yup, he plays Weber, the guy who secures them a flight on a cargo plane full of live poultry.

His presence in both Ghostbusters and Temple of Doom in '84 made him one of the top-rated actors for that year, in terms of appearing in profitable films.

http://www.throwmetheidol.com/autographs/aykroyd.jpg

I usually share this behind-the-scenes pic on social media every year on July 1st, without explanation.

(It's Dan's real date of birth, and also the fictitious Indy's date of birth. :P )

Can anyone think of other times Ghostbusters actors had small cameos in other films?

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on February 4th, 2021, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By deadderek
Have seen the movie countless times and still stumble on things.

Never before noticed the person on the side of the Firehouse.

By Coover5
Was watching my VHS copy of the 15th anniversary release and noticed so many matte lines I hadn't before. Not sure why they seemed so apparent this time but it surprised me. Going to watch the DVD or Blu Ray to see if I can spot them that way too.
deadderek liked this
By Dr.D
Has anyone else noticed Ray's dialogue during the montage? I had never noticed until recently, but the shot of the three of them in Rockefeller Plaza (when Venkman is wearing the goggles). If you listen real close, you can hear someone saying "what is it?" and you can hear Ray respond loudly with "ECTOPLASM!"

Turn it up and listen hard. Either that or I'm nuts.
By JA Slow
If Sony starts deleting cigarettes from on-set photos-- as the Disney corporation has long done of candid pics of Walt Disney-- will they also retouch the films themselves?

Well they digitally elongated Madison's hair to fully cover her bum bum in Splash (1984). I'm sure they'll continue this habit.
By Alex Newborn
I was watching Ghostbusters in a different language setting (Italian), and my eyes began to wander to little details I normally don't catch.

Here was one of those 'how did I never notice that before' moments.

Alex
mrmichaelt, Wafflerobot liked this
By mrmichaelt
Alex Newborn wrote: September 30th, 2021, 6:38 am I was watching Ghostbusters in a different language setting (Italian), and my eyes began to wander to little details I normally don't catch.

Here was one of those 'how did I never notice that before' moments.

Maybe there was telekinetic activity as a precursor to Zuul making it's presence super known at the kitchen door, then the arms and pulling her in on her armchair. Like Louis with Vinz, she didn't notice it at first then the dog decided to be more direct but they cut out Zuul's gag to make it a real scary moment overall and save the chuckles for Louis's scene.

But real world, I seem to recall after filming pre-explosion scenes in Dana's apartment they had to reshoot so the pre-explosion apartment had to be rebuilt. And that scene of her putting the bags down was part of it? OR more likely, during filming of that scene, between takes, the prop people made a slight mistake as they restaged the scene - they were going on memory and sometimes polaroids. Or what I think is the likely scenario: in two different takes of the scene, Sigourney placed them in different spots and no one noticed during post and happened to marry parts of both takes together for the final cut.
By Alex Newborn
I think the latter theory is the most likely.

The apartment set *was* rebuilt, but it was only for the shot of the kitchen door opening to reveal the Terror Dog super-puppet.

From p. 112 of Don Shay's Making Ghostbusters:

"Articulated puppets take a long time to build—and we knew the articulated Terror Dog wouldn't be ready until our last couple days of shooting. So all of the shots requiring an articulated dog, such as the one in Dana‘s kitchen, had to wait until the very end.
Unfortunately, by that time, Dana's apartment set had been completely trashed for later scenes in the film — holes knocked in the walls and floors torn up and that sort of thing.
So after everything else was done, John DeCuir and his crew had to go in and put that set completely back together—for oneTerror Dog shot." ~ Michael Gross

[stress added]

Here's a comparison of the original build (top) and the rebuild (bottom).

Budgets being what they are, I am certain they only re-built everything the camera is seeing in the bottom screencap.

Alex
mrmichaelt liked this
By Ryusui
Something I only caught on to years later was after they busted Slimer. After Egon says "it's in there", there's a slight tapping sound and Peter says "Hey!" I always thought Peter was responding to Egon's comment. Like a mildly impressed celebratory "ay!". And that the tapping was just Egon messing with the trap. I only realized a few years ago that it's actually Slimer knocking on the trap from inside and Peter scolding him. :sigh:
By Hairy Biker
Ryusui wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 2:12 am Something I only caught on to years later was after they busted Slimer. After Egon says "it's in there", there's a slight tapping sound and Peter says "Hey!" I always thought Peter was responding to Egon's comment. Like a mildly impressed celebratory "ay!". And that the tapping was just Egon messing with the trap. I only realized a few years ago that it's actually Slimer knocking on the trap from inside and Peter scolding him. :sigh:
Wait....what??!! Holy....I never thought of that! I always thought Peter was ticking his tongue then responding to Egon!
I was today years old when I learnt this and the scene is now even better because of it. Thank you sir!
By ghoulishfright
Can't believe it took me this long to notice, but the "heat 'em up" routine is basically a dick joke.

PETER
Got your stick?

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Holding it.

PETER
Heat 'em up.

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Smoking.

PETER
Make them hard.

They make their "wands" erect.

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Ready.

PETER
Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown.
By Indy Magnoli
I don't know how many times I've seen Ghostbusters... but I only caught this for the first time last night. Check out what Dana has in her apartment:

It's a red ceramic version of Tlazoleteotl, known better to Indiana Jones fans as the inspiration for the Gold Fertility Idol:

ImageImage

I'm sure I'm not the first person to spot this, but I still love discovering these things after many years.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
By jonogunn
ghoulishfright wrote: November 20th, 2021, 6:37 pm Can't believe it took me this long to notice, but the "heat 'em up" routine is basically a dick joke.

PETER
Got your stick?

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Holding it.

PETER
Heat 'em up.

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Smoking.

PETER
Make them hard.

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Ready.

PETER
Unfortunately Netflix got the subtitles wrong. “Make ‘em hot!”

Same with GB2 “full neutronas” was “fully charged”
By gerv
When Ray gets out of the elevator in the hotel and powers on his gun i never realised he also activates the pop mech to extend the barrel.

And for years i never noticed Stay Puft was missing his red tie thing when getting blasted. Also the hydraulic cables controlling stay pufts facial motions i never noticed until the blu ray release, on vhs it was hard to make out what it was.
By gerv
ghoulishfright wrote: November 20th, 2021, 6:37 pm Can't believe it took me this long to notice, but the "heat 'em up" routine is basically a dick joke.

PETER
Got your stick?

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Holding it.

PETER
Heat 'em up.

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Smoking.

PETER
Make them hard.

RAY, EGON, WINSTON
Ready.

PETER
The way peter says "make em hard" almost sounds like "make em hot", he pronounces it in a really odd way. For a good while i thought it was make em hot then realised the visual of the wands extending was a wang joke.
By robbritton
It's a little thing, but I never noticed that you can hear Stay Puft grunting with exertion from climbing the building while the GBs are having their "cross the streams" discussion until I watched it on headphones just now!
By gerv
jonogunn wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 5:23 pm

Unfortunately Netflix got the subtitles wrong. “Make ‘em hot!”

Same with GB2 “full neutronas” was “fully charged”

Doubt it was make em hot, "make em hard" fits in with the visual of the wand barel extending as a dick joke.
By gerard55
Something i never noticed before, in the 84 movie when Gozer sends out the electric blast in the background you can see what looks like a black metal pole moving along from right to left, guessing it was a smoke emitter or a connection to the harnass to pull the actors backwards? It's pretty noticable as well, only took me to today to notice it :shock::-o

Kingpin, Welsh Pirate liked this
By Welsh Pirate
gerard55 wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 9:30 am Something i never noticed before, in the 84 movie when Gozer sends out the electric blast in the background you can see what looks like a black metal pole moving along from right to left, guessing it was a smoke emitter or a connection to the harnass to pull the actors backwards? It's pretty noticable as well, only took me to today to notice it :shock::-o

And I only just now noticed that Gozer's lightning was multicolored. I always just thought it was purple, but it looks like some of it was yellow as well!
gerard55 liked this
By MichaelGil
| alkaline | wrote: July 15th, 2010, 8:44 am One thing I noticed while watching GB1 on the big screen was in Louis' apartment, during the party scene, there is a pretty funny picture of him in a cap and gown holding a diploma. Not sure if its high school graduation or his graduation from Law School :D

Could be his CPA?
By Ginger
Last week I rewatched GBI trying to pay attention to 'new' details, and it made me laugh the exchange of slaps between Ray and Peter.
First, Ray slaps Peter at the prison (probably it came for the early ear pulling) and later, at the roof, Peter slaps Ray! :lol:
By TheManEatingToaster
Peter Venkman Jr. wrote: September 29th, 2018, 6:38 pm For me the biggest "How did I miss that" moment in Ghostbusters was Peter playing with the slime on his shoulder when Ray tells the Hotel Manager to keep the staff outside the ballroom until Slimer is contained. Also I did not pick up Egon's hand signals to Peter when Peter is billing the hotel until I listened to the DVD audio commentary. The same went for Janine listening to Peck's conversation with Peter in the firehouse.

For Ghostbusters II, I was really surprised to see the photos of Nakia and Top Cat on the wall behind Peter and his producer Norman after the taping of "The World of the Psychic". Also I was pretty surprised that I never noticed the newspaper clippings and magazine covers in his office at the firehouse when the Ghostbusters were back in business until a recent thread here pointed them out. Also the two firefighters having a fist fight outside the museum escaped my noticed for many years until now.
Where can I see the firefighters having a fist fight? I immediately thought of the firefighters from Gangs of New York.
I've moved some posts and as a general remainder, there are separate How did I miss that ?!? threads for each movie.

Here in General Ghostbusters Discussion there is one for GB1 and one for GB2.

Here's the GB2 one.
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24873

In ATC, there's one for it.
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46304

In Afterlife Discussion, there's one for it.
https://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50222
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
One time wrote: February 4th, 2023, 3:55 pm When Ray is firing at Slimer for the first time in GB1, it looks like he is not wearing the white utility belt, while he is wearing it in the previous scenes.
I'm pretty sure it's just hanging low due to the weight of the Trap prop on it, look at how low it's ended up in the moments after they blast the maid's cart.
RedSpecial liked this
This was a random shower thought, but ever notice how the wings on the PKE meter are rather similar to dowsing rods? I wonder if that was the actual basis for it, or if it is just a coincidence, but it definitely seems like the PKE meter could've been based on dowsing rods. I realize the wings on the meter don't really cross in the same way that dowsing rods do, but they otherwise move in a likewise fashion, in a similar position. And both are used to detect or divine hidden objects and things. It all seems rather too fitting.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

deadderek liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: April 7th, 2023, 1:09 pm This was a random shower thought, but ever notice how the wings on the PKE meter are rather similar to dowsing rods? I wonder if that was the actual basis for it, or if it is just a coincidence, but it definitely seems like the PKE meter could've been based on dowsing rods. I realize the wings on the meter don't really cross in the same way that dowsing rods do, but they otherwise move in a likewise fashion, in a similar position. And both are used to detect or divine hidden objects and things. It all seems rather too fitting.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I think the wings were just a visual cue for the audience that PKE things were happenings without having to cut to an insert. I don’t really see the dowsing rods connection.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]