Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Alex Newborn
I think I had a pizza magnet at some point. I know I had a cheeseburger, fries, and milkshake. Seems like I've held one of those pizza ones in my hand at some point.

Oh, here's the best I could do with the frames of the kitchenette scene when Egon grabs the toaster...

Some part of Egon is always blocking that triangular area, but we know what the front of the microwave looks like from an earlier closeup.

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Found this image over at SonyMovieChannel.com, thought I could probably use Google to figure out which issue of Cosmo Janine was reading.

Had no luck when I typed in 'Cosmopolitan Magazine Covers 1989', but when I tried 1988, this was actually the very first image it supplied.

Sorry if that's common knowledge but it was new to me.

~~~

Another image I found at SMC was the familiar final-composite shot of Louis and Slimer. I'd recently discovered that a book on his desk was The Further Prophecies of Nostradamus... but that's not his only reading material.

I hope he just borrowed this March '89 Glamour magazine from Janine.

~~~

I may have spotted another magazine cover.

~~~

Crab chips? I'm not big on the Salt and Vinegar flavors, but I may have to try those crab-seasoned ones. Especially since Utz doesn't seem to have changed their packaging all that much since 1989. Not a brand sold around here, to my knowledge, so I'll have to special order some.

Alex
Sutton621 liked this
By Alex Newborn
Okay, has it ever been identified what the call letters are of the TV station that airs World of the Psychic?

On the side of the camera, it looks to me like WKRR.

But I'm open to other interpretations of these blurry pixels. Regardless, it's Channel 12.

Here's some other stuff that I've been examining in the Channel 12 sets...

The lobby cards for Nakia and Top Cat have been mentioned elsewhere, although I did find a clip from the opening titles of Nakia on YouTube and combined two screencaps to recreate it.

Also, behind Norman the producer's head is what I believe to be a lobby card for World of the Psychic. I combined some frames to try to reconstruct it.

It seems to depict Venkman on a slightly different set, taking a bow between a seated female guest on the right and a possibly standing female guest on the left.

The way the picture is cropped, we do not see the entire name of the show on the wall behind, and a glare partially obscures Peter's head. The large white area is obscured in every frame by Norman the producer.

My gut feeling here is that they used an existing photo of Bill Murray being interviewed (or maybe an SNL skit?) and retouched it, rather than build a distinct set just for this photo.

More framed images. Some of the actors look familiar (one even looks like Bill Murray) but I haven't identified any of them yet. Any guesses?

One more picture only becomes partly visible for a couple of frames. I thought it *might* be from the TV show Alice, but that's just a guess.

Between Norman and Venkman, another of the World of the Psychic lobby cards.

At left, I am not sure if this is a lobby card for a variety show or maybe just a wedding photo of the set dresser's parents, LOL.

I think this lobby card might be for Police Woman. The blurry faces could sorta kinda be Angie Dickinson and Earl Holliman.

No luck finding the exact publicity pic, but this one's just to show younger readers who I'm talking about. See a vague resemblance?

~~~

Leaving Channel 12 and heading over to Dana Barrett's, here are some other things that caught my eye.

The calendar in the kitchen still says November, but hey sometimes I forget to flip mine, too.

Dana's so good at decorating, her frames don't even NEED pictures in them.

And someone please tell me who this guy is? My eye goes straight to him for this whole scene, has for years.

Alex
Sutton621 liked this
By TheRockman
Alex Newborn wrote:Image

And someone please tell me who this guy is? My eye goes straight to him for this whole scene, has for years.
I'm pretty sure that is Johannes Brahms. I can't find that particular pencil sketch, but his distinctive dark moustache, long white beard and Dana's love of orchestral music seem to support that it's him.

GUTEN TAAAAAAAAG!

By d_osborn
newborn... are you referencing the 720p version floating around? the resolution of your screencaps are smaller. you'll get more detail out of the 720p file.

never noticed the PSYCHIC mockups around the studio set. very cool!
Alex Newborn wrote:

More framed images. Some of the actors look familiar (one even looks like Bill Murray) but I haven't identified any of them yet. Any guesses?
That's definitely Murray... notice the caption on the photo. it even looks like the same PSYCHIC wardrobe.
Alex Newborn liked this
By mrmichaelt
Alex Newborn wrote:The calendar in the kitchen still says November, but hey sometimes I forget to flip mine, too.
At least they used a 1989 calendar. Yeah, hopefully it was a case of it being December 1st and someone forgot to change the month.

This is rather interesting, before reading your post I though the movie took place from early December to New Years Day (plus whenever the ceremony seen the end credits takes place). But the movie really could have started up to after Thanksgiving or the last week of November - tying in with Ray's line about the holidays coming up after he and Winston leave the birthday party and the wreath being up on the door already. Also, when Ray, Egon, and Peter visited Dana's apartment - Dana stated Oscar was eight months old but he could have indeed turned 8 months in November then naturally 9 sometime in December.
pizzarat liked this
By jackdoud
The one with Murray in it says "World of the Psychic" and it's the same 2 people as the picture in the hallway, just a different shot. My guess is they filmed a different version of the show scene at some point or else did a test shoot and they used the shots there. There's another "World of the Psychic" picture on the wall behind the third desk where the lady with the purple scarf and the guy in the sweater are talking.
Alex Newborn liked this
By Alex Newborn
Funny, I got fixated on that lampshade earlier and thought, "I have one of those somewhere!"

No, I don't have the higher resolution version of GB2. I'm just using two copies of the DVD. I'm watching one on a big-screen TV and when I spot something interesting, I cue up the other one in this laptop to the same frame, and capture it to show you guys.

Haha... I thought that caption said 'of the' in the middle, but I couldn't for the life of me discern the other two words. At one point I even thought maybe it was Richard Burton in the photo (running gag in Scrooged with bums thinking Bill Murray looks exactly like Burton) and thought perhaps the caption said 'Night of the Iguana' but that went nowhere.

Why didn't I make the obvious 'world OF THE psychic' connection?! Duh! Right in front of me.

Also, I think the woman in that other photo two to the left of the World of the Psychic one also resembles Angie Dickinson around the eyes, but didn't trust myself not to be reading that in after the previous belief that the pic across the room was Police Woman.

Plus, in a different frame, when I blew it up, the guy looked exactly like Warren Beatty and the woman looked like Goldie Hawn, so to then get such completely different results with a clearer frame threw me off.

Alex
By d_osborn
Alex Newborn wrote:Okay, has it ever been identified what the call letters are of the TV station that airs World of the Psychic?
On the side of the camera, it looks to me like WKRR.
The call sign is WKRR in the script, which looks to be a radio station in North Carolina instead of a NYC TV station. The channel is different in the script, though... 9 instead of 12.

It seems to depict Venkman on a slightly different set, taking a bow between a seated female guest on the right and a possibly standing female guest on the left.

My gut feeling here is that they used an existing photo of Bill Murray being interviewed (or maybe an SNL skit?) and retouched it, rather than build a distinct set just for this photo.
No, there were definitely two sets for WORLD OF THE PSYCHIC. I have no idea why, though. Possibly a reshoot... maybe for auditions. The TV station office scene was shot a long time before the WORLD OF THE PSYCHIC scene that's in the movie, so the set dressing shots in the screen grabs above were taken pretty early in production.

If I had to guess... possibly WOTP was originally going to have more of a "public access/cheapo sci-fi" vibe. The unused set looks to be darker, with a more a bright, gaudy logo... the lighting on the photos seem to be more directional and contrasty...the script called for "eerie synthesizer music" instead of a 50's educational sounding tune that wound up being used. It seems the whole sequence was brightened up and toned down. Just a wacky guess.

Perhaps if we send Sony a nice greeting card, they'll get around to releasing a decent Blu-Ray with behind-the-scenes goodies. Maybe? Possibly?

I spotted this... a little better look.

ENHANCE!!!!!!!!!!

Alex Newborn, Zack liked this
By d_osborn
river_of_slime wrote:Dr. Peter Venkman font reminds me of Looney Tunes font :P and Derek is the picture from when they shoot the commercial?
I think it might be. In the still, the shoulder straps on Ray's pack look a little loose, making the pack hang low. It looks similar in a shot or two of the commercial. It's a stretch, I know...

...also, there are some free balloons for the kids floating around. :)
By Alex Newborn
Thanks so much for the pic, d_osborn!

It is so weird to stare at little pixels and convince yourself you can make out the name Peter Venkman, and then someone show you a clearer pic of the thing and you see your imagination made firm.

Good eye on the balloons, too.

I just had a very weird theory pop to mind of why the 'original' World of the Psychic and the commercial for the montage would have been filmed together, early in the production.

Back in those days, any time a television screen was going to be filmed, they had to use special TV's that showed their images at the same film rate as a movie camera (24 frames per second, as I recall), otherwise you'd get roll bars and other out-of-synch problems. This sometimes required hiring special technicians, so they possibly grouped all those types of shots together to keep the fees and the overall budget down.

The commercial was going to be watched on TV by both Hardemeyer and Dana, which was going to require 24fps sets. And remember that the final WOTP clip in the movie begins with a shot of a studio monitor and then pans over to the real set. That monitor too would have to be a 24fps television.

I may be overthinking it, but as I say, it's just one possible explanation.
d_osborn wrote:...the script called for "eerie synthesizer music" instead of a 50's educational sounding tune that wound up being used.
Hahaha... that sounds familiar... I said something similar in another thread.
Alex Newborn wrote:It sounds like old educational film music from the '50's.
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =38&t=5775

For those of you who haven't checked it out, follow the link above, because someone finally ID'ed it and there's a link to download it.

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Well, things do change from the script to the finished film, so seeing the photo of the on-set prop is still very welcome confirmation!

Is that a detail of a wider shot? Would love to see the entire photo.

Alex
By d_osborn
Alex Newborn wrote: I just had a very weird theory pop to mind of why the 'original' World of the Psychic and the commercial for the montage would have been filmed together, early in the production.

Back in those days, any time a television screen was going to be filmed, they had to use special TV's that showed their images at the same film rate as a movie camera (24 frames per second, as I recall), otherwise you'd get roll bars and other out-of-synch problems. This sometimes required hiring special technicians, so they possibly grouped all those types of shots together to keep the fees and the overall budget down.

The commercial was going to be watched on TV by both Hardemeyer and Dana, which was going to require 24fps sets. And remember that the final WOTP clip in the movie begins with a shot of a studio monitor and then pans over to the real set. That monitor too would have to be a 24fps television.
Although the still I posted shows the original PSYCHIC set with what looks like the TV commercial shoot, I'm not really sure if they were shot together or not. I'm not saying they weren't... just not sure. The sets could have still been standing.

The PSYCHIC shot used a simple live studio camera/monitor setup, while the montage shots of characters watching the commercial on TV was a 24-frame playback of the final, edited commercial from a studio 1" tape machine. The dude that first started using modified tape machines for 24-frame playback actually won an Academy Award for the work.

A cool little tidbit--when the camera and TV are synced, the camera is only seeing one field of the interlaced image while the shutter is open, which gives the "scan line" look you always see.

I would LOVE to see the full GB2 commercial. Come on, Sony... give us the BR. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!
By John Stevens 87
When Stantz gets out of the ECTO-1A i never noticed that he had 2 Cigars in his top left-arm pocket,but we all know that Ray loves a good old Stogie.

And also i've always wanted to point out this guy,he's the little creep who gives Venkman a really disgusting look.
I'm expecting him to pull out a ring and say the words " MY PRECIOUS" lol :whatever:
Zack liked this
By Alex Newborn
Yeah, I actually prepped some frames with the creepy guy circled, back when I pointed out the security guard's magazine, because I thought he looked a lot like Noel from Frasier. But then I couldn't find any decent pics of Noel online for comparison, so I decided not to mention it.

Alex
By d_osborn
John Stevens 87 wrote:When Stantz gets out of the ECTO-1A i never noticed that he had 2 Cigars in his top left-arm pocket,but we all know that Ray loves a good old Stogie.
Here's a behind the scenes shot from when that scene was filmed.
Sutton621 liked this
By scadru

The middle photo reminds me of Linda Ellerbee. I didn't find a photo of her with quite the same hairstyle though. We will need higher def screencaptures to get a better idea of who it is.

ImageImage
By John Stevens 87
Zack wrote:he looks like the real life Walter...
Hahaha...cheers that made my day Zack,from now on he will be Walter.I wish he would go up to Venkman in that clip and do Walter's "daaahuuuh" noise :boogieman:
Zack liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]