Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By spookcentral
I just added parts 10 & 11 to my playlist. I've made note of AJ's playlist over on the SC Facebook page, so at least one of us will try to be up-to-date :-)

Alex just told me that he made his own playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22CA1F57117C2CBB

So this one will *always* up-to-date... I hope :-)
By d_osborn
Alex Newborn wrote: Parenthetically, because it was so incomplete, I ordered the transcript. If I find that, I'll try to share it.
this got a bit lost amongst all of the playlist hubbub. i think that the oprah transcript is also on spookcentral.

can't wait to see part 12! :)
By Alex Newborn
Yeah, Paul wrote his own transcript, which I suspect will be far more accurate than what Oprah's folks did. But I thought it might be interesting to compare the two.

I have overloaded my poor computer with video clips, so I had to save Part 12 at a shorter length than most of the others. Wish me luck as I purge things to try to get her working again.

Alex
By d_osborn
i'm betting the dude just walked out of the movie a little early. the ellis island scene was always in the film. in fact, it was shot the very first day of principal photography. even the early test screening prints we've all heard about had slimer flying out of the statue at the very end.

there's an unspoken rule to never trust movie critics that bite their fingernails on camera.

thanks again for all of the work you're doing on this. can't wait for 13 and 14!
By Alex Newborn
Haha... I like the nailbiting rule, I'll have to remember that one.

Note: Part 13 also matches third-party content (for music composition) so it could be yanked without warning.

Alex
By brad84
I am enjoying these so much this is a real treat! GB2 is my favorite movie of all time, so seeing this stuff really brings a smile to my face! Now if we could just get that blu ray! Again thank you for posting these! You, you've earned it! :crunch:
By Alex Newborn
Well, there is plenty more to come, trust me. In fact, last night I suddenly remembered that when GB2 was in theatres, I was interviewed about my collection on local TV. I knew that was on a different tape, so I went browsing through some of the other tapes in this stack. I didn't find the clip of me (yet) but I did spot some other interesting GB- and GB2-related clips on other tapes, so even when this project comes to the end of this one tape, there will still be material worth posting.

And now for something (not entirely) completely different:

Rick Moranis appeared on Nickelodeon's Don't Just Sit There in the summer of '89, and I taped a big chunk of it. But if he ever mentioned Ghostbusters 2, he did it before I flipped channels and spotted him. I've decided that in the interest of keeping things germane that I won't include this in my GB2 playlist, but I did go ahead and upload this snippet where he talks about the genesis of Bob and Doug McKenzie.

Enjoy, hosers!

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Can't believe I missed this opportunity for a horrible pun...
d_osborn wrote:there's an unspoken rule to never trust movie critics that bite their fingernails on camera.
Would that be a... rule of thumb?

~~~

Three new installments uploaded!

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Okay, for anyone who has been wondering since Part One what the heck the 'Muley' reference was (the only thing written on the label of the tape itself), watch this next installment quickly before it gets yanked by SCTV's lawyers!

Alex
By Ectofiend666
Alex Newborn wrote:Well, there is plenty more to come, trust me. In fact, last night I suddenly remembered that when GB2 was in theatres, I was interviewed about my collection on local TV. I knew that was on a different tape, so I went browsing through some of the other tapes in this stack. I didn't find the clip of me (yet) but I did spot some other interesting GB- and GB2-related clips on other tapes, so even when this project comes to the end of this one tape, there will still be material worth posting.
I can never get my fill of this stuff!! The "Muley" skit was hilarious, the FUJI commercial (To which I've never seen) was a surprise, Bill's comment on RGB was funny (though I'm wondering how the kid missed the fact that Winston is black to begin with), and the coverage of the media blitz surrounding the film brought back fond memories :-)...However I wish that the first Hardee's commercial was there in it's entirety (Never saw that one), and Bobby Brown was well...0_o...
By Ectofiend666
mrmichaelt wrote:First time I saw that HBO making of. Neat to see some snippets of deleted scenes in there.
That is actually the 1989 EPK (which is also used in small bits for alot of the other media coverage surrounding the film), almost in it's entirety, re-edited for TV...
By Alex Newborn
The playlist is currently at 3-1/2 hours' worth of material! Just a handful more to go... at least on this tape. I've uncovered some other nuggets on other tapes. :)

The latest installment is not my favorite group of clips... people behaving like jerks in interviews.

(This one is blocked in Germany due to the music.)

UPDATE:

The 20th and final installment!

Alex
By mrmichaelt
It was fun time, Alex. I hope you find more boxes of VHS tapes.
Ectofiend666 wrote:That is actually the 1989 EPK (which is also used in small bits for alot of the other media coverage surrounding the film), almost in it's entirety, re-edited for TV...
Oh! Thanks for correcting me on that.
By Ectofiend666
mrmichaelt wrote:
Ectofiend666 wrote:That is actually the 1989 EPK (which is also used in small bits for alot of the other media coverage surrounding the film), almost in it's entirety, re-edited for TV...
Oh! Thanks for correcting me on that.
Wasn't "correcting" you lol...Was just throwing the info your way (If you didn't already know) ;-)...
By Ectofiend666
river_of_slime wrote:I love all that you done.. Thank you so much!

That slime wall sounds pretty cool and looks cool.

I cant wait to see what else you find.
Ditto and ditto!! I'm CLAMORING for the extra stuff on the other tapes!!

That wall of slime was AMAZING!! And judging by that HUGE GBII logo hanging off that wall at the expo, I know I've seen that footage once before, around the time that it originally aired...But that logo was the only thing I remembered about it for whatever reason...

And this answers my question about an elusive GBII standee I became aware of on a newsgroup in the early '90's...Suppossedly had Vigo with the moving slime behind him...Now I'm convinced that whomever wrote about the "standee" originally was confusing it with this particular installation...

Only thing I didn't like?...The "People On The Street" portion, after the movie was already in theatres...Leave it to ungratefull yuppie larvae to come up with the oh-so-original (and oft-used) "it sucked"...
By Alex Newborn
Yeah, it's sort of a downbeat to end on... but that does fairly accurately reflect the chronological order of that summer. Hype hype hype, mood slime clip mood slime clip mood slime clip, big opening weekend, negative critical reaction, and then silence.

Anyway, I felt bad that poor little LambChop's only line got omitted, so I went back to the VHS tape and replaced the glitched portions of Part 20. Must've been a little hiccup on the first digitization. Sorry for not catching it before the upload.

Here's the corrected version:

I took the previous version out of the playlist, too, but the link a couple of posts back still seems to work.

Reviewing some of the other tapes now. I just saw a slightly more complete version of that Ecto Cooler spot with the CG Slimer, a really cool Showtime GB2 promo that I had totally forgotten about (great interviews!), and a familiar prop turning up on a ghost-themed episode of some TV show... maybe Fall Guy?

Alex
By Alex Newborn
Okay, let me get some input here... I've found some fairly long interviews, like Bill Murray on Larry King and Sigourney Weaver on Leno. They do contain some mentions of either Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters 2, but usually the focus is on whatever project they were promoting at the time (Quick Change/Gorillas in the Mist).

I can edit these down to just the GB-specific stuff, but I'd like a show of hands... who would prefer to see such stuff in its "entirety" (overlooking the fact they're all incomplete at the beginning)?

Alex
By mrmichaelt
How long are they in their "entirety" vs how long are the bits about Ghostbusters?

If the latter can be combined to the usual 13-15 minute clip, then I'd vote for that.

But if both are about that length and the GB mentions are short, I'd vote for the "entirety."
By Alex Newborn
mrmichaelt wrote:How long are they in their "entirety" vs how long are the bits about Ghostbusters?
If the latter can be combined to the usual 13-15 minute clip, then I'd vote for that.
But if both are about that length and the GB mentions are short, I'd vote for the "entirety."
They're maybe five to ten minutes long. Yeah, I think you're right. I'll put up all of it once I get through digitizing. I'm at about an hour-and-a-half of new stuff converted to digital tape right now, but that amount will go down once I sift through redundant versions of some clips.

Last night I found some other great nuggets I forgot I even had. Some were so bad I must've mentally blocked them (Ernie Hudson on Super Mario Bros.) but all these years later, I'm honestly glad I did archive them.

The one that I enjoyed the most, surprisingly, was Dave Coulier on the Arsenio Hall show. As loyal as I am to Lorenzo Music's characterization, Dave and Arsenio are having so much fun telling stories about their days in standup and working on a certain cartoon show together, the warm fuzzy feeling comes right through the screen.

And I've found TWO appearances I made on local news back in the early 90's, but still have yet to find the one where I was interviewed about my Ghostbusters comic book collection. I was surprised to hear myself paraphrasing dialogue from GB2 in one of them!

A local reporter came in the university center while my friends and I were eating, shoves a microphone in my face while I am chewing food, and asks my plans for Spring Break. The first words out of my mouth, before I formed a coherent answer of my own, were "We don't know; we don't WANT to know."
Zack wrote:awesome as usual!!! I dunno why it pains me this day to watch people back then 20+ years say they didn't like it haha
Well, look at it this way. Aside from a split-second soundbyte 22 years ago, more or less accidentally archived on my VHS tape and brought to light again, what has any of those average citizens produced of lasting merit?

And yet Ghostbusters 2, though undeniably a pale imitation of its predecessor, is still being discussed and debated every single day by a WIDE cross-section of fans from every walk of life, over two decades later.

Alex
By Ectofiend666
Alex Newborn wrote:Yeah, it's sort of a downbeat to end on... but that does fairly accurately reflect the chronological order of that summer. Hype hype hype, mood slime clip mood slime clip mood slime clip, big opening weekend, negative critical reaction, and then silence.
Yes...Oddly as maddening to hear now as it was back then :walterpeck: ..."Ghostbusters is stupid" coming from that one girl evokes the same malcontent that I felt way back when, as early as '86 when the then-school-yard bully uttered the same inane phrase about the first one (and I'm guessing the cartoon)...Just irks me to hell...I like, nay love it (GBII) despite it flaws (that yes - I've pointed out on this very board), and that's all that really matters in the end, yet I just can't shake that ill feeling when I do hear that sort of "criticism"...

And the footage in-succsession, as it played out over that summer, almost plays like a "movie" in-and-of itself...Happy, upbeat, optimistic to fault...And the *BAM* the main character gets shot for not being "good enough", with no real reason as to why...Leaving you confused on how to feel almost...The "upbeat optimistic comedy" just became an "assassination flick" in the eleventh hour...

While the analogies are silly, it's not far from the truth lol...
Alex Newborn wrote:Reviewing some of the other tapes now. I just saw a really cool Showtime GB2 promo that I had totally forgotten about (great interviews!), and a familiar prop turning up on a ghost-themed episode of some TV show... maybe Fall Guy?

Bill Murray on Larry King and Sigourney Weaver on Leno. They do contain some mentions of either Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters 2...

Dave Coulier on the Arsenio Hall show.

TWO appearances I made on local news back in the early 90's.
All of this...I must see this happen (And in it's entirety - My two cents) :-D...Can't thank you enough for all of this!!
By mrmichaelt
Alex Newborn wrote:They're maybe five to ten minutes long. Yeah, I think you're right. I'll put up all of it once I get through digitizing. I'm at about an hour-and-a-half of new stuff converted to digital tape right now, but that amount will go down once I sift through redundant versions of some clips.

Last night I found some other great nuggets I forgot I even had. Some were so bad I must've mentally blocked them (Ernie Hudson on Super Mario Bros.) but all these years later, I'm honestly glad I did archive them.

The one that I enjoyed the most, surprisingly, was Dave Coulier on the Arsenio Hall show. As loyal as I am to Lorenzo Music's characterization, Dave and Arsenio are having so much fun telling stories about their days in standup and working on a certain cartoon show together, the warm fuzzy feeling comes right through the screen.

And I've found TWO appearances I made on local news back in the early 90's, but still have yet to find the one where I was interviewed about my Ghostbusters comic book collection. I was surprised to hear myself paraphrasing dialogue from GB2 in one of them!
Sounds great. Thanks for keeping on looking for these.
By Alex Newborn
These next two clips have ZERO to do with Ghostbusters, so feel free to disregard.

Actually, that's not entirely true; in the first one, I steal some Bill Murray dialogue from GB2.

Plus if it hadn't been for searching through those old VHS tapes of RGB episodes taped off local TV, these snippets would remain forgotten.

EDIT: It's odd how in the 1989 clip, I made eye contact with the camera, but in the 1992 clip, I was looking at the reporter the whole time.

Alex

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]