Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Re: The possible ID of Fantasy Island Season 7, Episode 1
deadderek wrote: May 21st, 2019, 6:52 amhttps://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vlh0z
Um, thanks?

That one's dubbed into German, so it's not going to be what we're looking for.

Unless there's some way to toggle the languages on DailyMotion that I'm just missing?

[Cue the de rigueur GB quote: "Someone should tell him it's not going to do him much good to scream at us in German!"]

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on May 21st, 2019, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sav C liked this
I'm watching it in German even though I can barely parse what they're saying. The character of Deborah Barnes is on the Island to have a love triangle fantasy (her boyfriend is played by Larry from Three's Company, Richard Kline).

The guy hired to play the other man trips over a chair and hurts his back, so Mr. Roarke (Ricardo Montalban) has to take over. He calls her Miss Barnes several times, but begins to call her Deborah around the 13:25 mark, which of course charms her.

Deborah, by the way, is played by Stephanie Faracy. The main thing I know her from is 1988's The Great Outdoors, where she played John Candy's character's wife... which means she had an on-screen kiss with Dan Aykroyd in the notorious 'lips and @$$holes' scene.

[Youtube]https://youtu.be/001dtJ0srBI?t=33[/Youtube]

I really hope once we locate the original English track, that this specific Fantasy Island episode turns out to be the source of the soundbyte in Ghostbusters.

It's got me on tenterhooks watching the lip-sync at the moment.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on May 21st, 2019, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's worth considering that if it is Montalbán, it could be dialogue from one of his movies, or any one of his other TV appearances beyond Fantasy Island.

It could also not actually be him, but someone with a similar sounding-accent. I wish we could hear a bit more of the dialogue clearly at the start and end of the snippet.
Alex's video in his Ghostbusters Pet Peeves does the audio justice. However after watching that pet peeve video I wonder if the audio isn't stacked or if it's snippets of many sources. The middle and end of the audio sounds like songs with the ending sounding like someone singing the words "comes hopes"
Kingpin wrote: May 21st, 2019, 12:26 pm It's worth considering that if it is Montalbán, it could be dialogue from one of his movies, or any one of his other TV appearances beyond Fantasy Island.
From the original post in this thread:
Alex Newborn wrote: January 24th, 2012, 11:38 am It could be an episode of Fantasy Island, it could be TOS, it could be Wrath of Khan. It could be anything, really, from throughout his long and distinguished career, at least pre-1983-ish.
I'm currently just following up on Coover5's post near the bottom of the previous page, where he successfully found an episode of Fantasy Island with a character named Barnes in it, after robbritton said he'd failed to find any entry on Montalban's imdb with a character named Barnes.

For the record, in my head it still sounds more like "BUT! You may be right..." though enough people have independently stated that to them it sounds like "Barnes, you may be right" that I am willing to make any progress possible, even if it is only slowly crossing items off the list one at a time.

But a show with Montalban, a character named Barnes, and being broadcast in October 1983? That's a very tantalizing potential payoff to several of the most-recurring 'possible interpretations' all at once.
Coover5 wrote: May 21st, 2019, 12:30 pm... with the ending sounding like someone singing the words "comes hopes"
I've thought before that the last two syllables might be "compose" but with the plot of this episode of FI, it occurs to me the word might be "propose" because that's what Miss Barnes is trying to get her too-cautious boyfriend to finally do.

Which might mean we're looking for a line where Mr. Roarke says to her something like: "Miss *Barnes, you may be right. If so, he better propose* soon."

Or he could be speaking to his assistant Lawrence (Christopher Hewett as a proto-Mr. Belvedere, replacing Tattoo after Herve Villechaize quit following Season 6). Maybe Lawrence says that Miss Barnes is developing real feelings for Mr. Roarke (again, I can't understand spoken German but I am cuing off of their facial acting and the music, LOL) and Roarke worriedly comments:

"Regarding Miss *Barnes, you may be right. If so, he better propose* quickly."

Either way, we're likely only getting the middle of a sentence.

Just spitballing here. It may all come out to nothing.

Alex
robbritton liked this
Had no idea the link was to a German dub. I should be able to find an English one when I get off work in a few hours. *shrugs*
Alex Newborn liked this
This is starting to be annoying...normally I can find almost anything...this is my new mission. I shall find this damn episode...in English.
This is really steaming my clams. I'm usually REALLY good at tracking down hard to find videos over the interwebs. Our franchise page has shared a request asking if anyone can help us access (an English language) copy.

Fingers crossed.
Some of Fantasy Island is on crackle for free.

Here's the season 7 ep. 1 link
https://www.crackle.com/watch/video/2510551

And I can't find the exact line... :(

Alternatively, the line in GB might be
"Barnes, you may be right. If so, we better ??? some ropes."

EDIT 3/3: Or is Mr. Roarke saying "Mars"?

There is another season 7 episode "The Butler's Affair/Roarke's Sacrifice" that aired on November 12, 1983 which had a character names Julie Mars. Unfortunately, it's not on Crackle.
Alex Newborn liked this
Well.. I've just watched S07e05 of Fantasy Island, (The Butler's Affair/Roarke's Sacrifice) and I can confirm that bit of dialog is NOT present. Strike that one off your list. He calls her Miss Mars once or twice at the beginning and the end, but mostly calls her Julie the entire episode.

Ah well, on to the next.
sirphobos wrote:Well.. I've just watched S07e05 of Fantasy Island, (The Butler's Affair/Roarke's Sacrifice) and I can confirm that bit of dialog is NOT present. Strike that one off your list. He calls her Miss Mars once or twice at the beginning and the end, but mostly calls her Julie the entire episode.

Ah well, on to the next.
Thank you for checking.

Hmm another guess is maybe the audio was played in media res, not from the beginning. So what we think we hear as Barnes or Mars is part of Lawrence's name being said. Lawrence being the butler in season 7. Since this is the Sedgewick Hotel halls, that was LA filming in 1984. So there were 13 episodes between January and May 1984. Maybe it was in one of these 13 and not the 9 that aired in 1983.
So I've been listening to a recording of this snippet, and I think the line is:

"(Name - possibly Lawrence), you may be right. If so, we/we'd better get ourselves a boat."

I'm working on tracking down the rest of season 07 of Fantasy Island to rule them out...
mrmichaelt, Wafflerobot liked this
sirphobos wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 1:56 pm So I've been listening to a recording of this snippet, and I think the line is:

"(Name - possibly Lawrence), you may be right. If so, we/we'd better get ourselves a boat."

I'm working on tracking down the rest of season 07 of Fantasy Island to rule them out...
Good ear, that could be "boat" rather than "rope." And kudos. Hope you find 'em.
sirphobos liked this
I've managed to find all of the episodes... and I've watched several over the past couple days.
So far we can rule out episodes 02-20, 22 plus the previously mentioned episode 01.
I had a good feeling about episode 08, as it had a boat in it that was central to one of the two fantasies... but no dice.

Edit: No luck so far... but here's an interesting aside. Ep 17 has both Casey Kasem AND Jean Kasem in minor roles.

Second edit: I'm down to just episode 21 left to watch... and nothing.

Third & final edit: Bad news.

So it's not any episode from season 7. So I guess this means:

1) It's from an outtake of season 7.
2) It's another season of Fantasy Island
3) It's not Fantasy Island at all, and is some other Montalban work
4) It's not Montalban, but someone with a similar voice.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
Alright, getting back to this...

So if it's not season 7, here are some episodes from other seasons with characters whose last names could sound like the "Barnes/Mars/Lawrence" we think we hear at the beginning of the clip.

Season 6 episode 19, "Ross"
Season 6 episode 22, "Kearns" if it's pronounced "Karns"
Season 5 episode 01, "Ross"
Season 2 episode 08, "Marsh"
Season 2 episode 11, "Parks"

There was also a Love Boat/Fantasy Island crossover in 1980 where a character named Kim Holland goes from the Love Boat to Fantasy Island, it could be that first word is "Holland".

The Love Boat s04e07
Fantasy Island s04e05

For those of you in Canada, nearly every episode is streaming on ctv's website. (Or you know, if you're in another country and are using a proxy...)
Wafflerobot liked this
Argh! Don't want this to be the dying secret of Effective Sound Unlimited. Sigh. But it looks like they folded in the mid-90s.

Around the same time as Ghostbusters, the sound editors did multiple projects:

Don S. Walden
-Starman
-Against All Odds
-Two of a Kind

William L. Manger
-No Small Affair
-Blame It On Rio
-Wargames

Mike Redbourn
-The Evil That Men Do
-Starman

Joseph Holsen
-The Evil That Men Do
-an episode of Automan
-an episode of Trauma Center

Jim Bullock
-Against All Odds

John Colwell
-Meatballs II
-Police Academy

A funny coincidence is ESU's founder Tom C. McCarthy started out at MGM before he started the company. And his first gig, "How The West Was Won" in the late 1970s which had Ricardo Montalban in 4 episodes.

Also around the same time production sound mixer Gene Cantamessa also did work on
-Terror in the Aisles
-Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
-To Be or Not to Be
-The Big Chill
I'm still hearing a B at the beginning of the first word. I agree with past commenters, it definitely sounds like "Buzz" but his delivery doesn't feel like a name to me, it feels like he's just made one declaration of his own opinion (unheard in this truncated clip) and now he's admitting that the listener's previously stated opinion might also be valid.

Hence why my gut instinct was always that he's saying "But" instead of another character's name.

Example: "But, you may be right, if so we'd better... something something."

Hearing the isolated track, though, it definitely has a sibilance to the end of the first word instead of a hard consonant.

Thanks to everyone for their own efforts to help solve this.

Alex
Marcus B wrote: July 13th, 2020, 8:34 am It looks like isolation was done before, but the links are dead. I am not a pro or anything, but I did isolate the voice somewhat. Maybe it'll help..

https://soundcloud.com/marcus-brannon-6 ... YhWzkW3Kwx
I’m still hearing it as “Barnes, you may be right. If so we’ve been heard; that’s a bonus”

It kills me that I can’t get this when I literally do transcription for Gold Rush as a living! I can understand Tony Beets and I can’t understand this?! Outrageous!
Alex Newborn liked this
I still think he's saying "Buzz/Barnes/Burt, you may be right. If so, we've been hurt by the prick of a rose." I'm kinda leaning towards this being a line from the CBS drama Executive Suite . There is a character named Burt in the cast list played by Lloyd Bochner. Maybe he shared a scene with Ricardo Montalban who played David Valerio in the series.
910dohead wrote: July 16th, 2020, 8:57 pm I'm kinda leaning towards this being a line from the CBS drama Executive Suite . There is a character named Burt in the cast list played by Lloyd Bochner. Maybe he shared a scene with Ricardo Montalban who played David Valerio in the series.
It doesn't look promising. According to the imdb, Montalban was only in eight episodes, and Bochner was only in two.

Cross-referencing the episodes listed for each actor, there don't seem to be any common titles.

But the imdb isn't always 100% accurate, so there's room to explore if anyone owns the full series.

Plus, it's entirely plausible that the line IS from Executive Suite, but the first word isn't 'Burt', so I'd hate to dismiss a possible avenue of exploration without doing due diligence.

Alex
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]