Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
I'm new here and just trying to get a gauge of when you guys were first introduced to GB.

I was born in 84, and was obviosly too young to see GB1 in the theaters.

My first introduction to them had to have been during the original cartoon run. I remember having ALL of the toys and watching to cartoon religiously. That initially got me curious about the original movie on VHS.Although, I was scared during some scenes - especially when Dana is captured by Zuul

By the time GB2 was coming out, I was hooked. I specifically remember having my mom drive to Hardee's just so I could get one of the toys they were selling. Also, Bobby Brown's "On Our Own" was in constant rotation.

Good times
During the second half of the 1980's, I think I may have been introduced to Ghostbusters with RGB; it was probably during my preschool years. From there on, I was hooked. ^_^
I was born two months after the movie was released in 84 and didn't see it in theaters (until 2014).
My parents owned a copy on VHS. According to them, I watched it when I was about 2-ish years old and went nuts over it. I pretty much wouldn't let them watch anything else.

They say I watched it so many times I wore out several copies of the VHS. They would apparently hide it sometimes because I watched it so much and they were sick of it. This went on for years. Until the first TMNT movie came out on video in like 1990.

Ghostbusters is the first movie I remember sitting and watching. I remember quoting it. I have pictures of 4 year old me with a proton pack and in a GB shirt. It helped shape my love of movies and my sense of humor. The GB's felt like family to me. Like uncles that would watch me on the weekends.

The cartoon was around too but the film was what I was mostly interested in. The toys were also a huge part of my childhood and I think the toy pack and PKE are big reasons I build costumes and props as an adult.
Born in 1970, saw it during its original theatrical run, the summer of 1984. I was fourteen, had just finished the eighth grade, I think.

I live in Alabama. While visiting my grandmother in Mississippi, the commercial for it came on television. My younger cousin from Texas had already seen it, and said it only had one funny line in it, when Bill Murray said a guy had no d*ck. So much for the sophistication of an eleven-year-old's comedy tastebuds, I guess.

This delayed me going to see it for a few weeks. But then I went on a trip to Florida with friends of my Mom. They had two younger children and took me along as a built-in babysitter. (They'd also taken my older sister on a trip like this a few years before, but somehow skipped over my middle sister, which she perceived as an intentional slight, naturally.)

I remember a few things about that trip. There was another family from our town who went down with us. They had two daughters. One was thirteen, a year younger than me, and the older ladies all seemed to think there would be a summer romance. Alas, their matchmaking plans did not come to fruition. We didn't spend a lot of time with the other family, and when we did there were zero sparks, but I can still remember she and her younger sister with their matching Dorothy Hamill-style haircuts. For one thing, I was newly adjusting to the need to wear glasses, which happened the year before, so it was the first time in my life that the swimsuit-clad girls were in focus, LOL.

I remember drinking a lot of Sprite that summer, because the dermatologist had told me it was better for my complexion than dark colas. To this day, the taste of a cold glass of Sprite carries along contextual memories of that summer.

At a Children's Palace or similar toystore excursion with the two kids in my alleged care, I bought some Kenner Return of the Jedi toys; I think it was the Ewok Hang Glider and Ewok Catapult. I still have them to this day.

Of my charges, there was a boy just a few years younger than me: he was okay, we had a lot in common, and he behaved himself.

But his younger sister, always a hellion, popped the hotel's sliding balcony door off its tracks and bent the frame, simply by repeatedly bumping her butt into it, despite being told not to. Thankfully, this happened while the parents were there, and did not reflect on my baby-sitting skills; it was her own folks' warnings she was defying when she did it.

Sorry if all this scene-setting and connotation is boring you. It was two-thirds of my life ago, so I'm enjoying mentally reconstructing it. I already had to omit a couple of anecdotes because I remembered they were from a different trip (to Memphis TN) a couple of years before.

One night, their folks took us to the movies, and they selected Ghostbusters. Remember that thanks to my cousin's bad advice, I was expecting it to stink. Haha. It's funny, two of the biggest film franchises in my life were Star Wars and Ghostbusters, and in both cases I had to be nearly dragged to the theatre to see them.

[With Star Wars, my sisters and I were watching the Donny & Marie show and a Star Wars-themed skit came on. They insisted I would love the real movie, but watching the silly farce on the variety show, I had zero interest. Years later when I credited them with being the ones who introduced me to the movie whose toys I collected for decades, my eldest sister lamented, "And oh what a monster we created!" No doubt if these family friends knew of my Ghostbusters obsession, they would feel the same.]

So there I am, the summer of 84, probably one of the last people in the country to see this cultural phenomenon. Needless to say, I laughed many more times than just at the 'd*ckless' joke. I loved it. Thus began a lifelong distrust whenever people volunteer their opinion of a film.

Oddly, we looked the next day for Ghostbusters t-shirts in Florida, but could not find any legitimate offerings, just airbrushed ones. The guys at the airbrush kiosks had created clever stencils to crank them out faster, and were doing big business. If I recall correctly, one guy had added a tail to the Logo Ghost so his stencil was connected better... and no doubt to avoid copyright problems.

So to sum up. I was fourteen, suffering from acne, newly bespectacled, already a movie geek in training. I already loved Aykroyd and Murray since SNL, which my older sisters watched religiously. I'd seen Meatballs edited for television, but probably very little else of their film careers.

I was the perfect age at the perfect time for that movie.

Come to think of it, in a way, the predictions were right. I did fall in love that summer. Just not to the girl with the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut.

Alex
Glenn Frederick liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:
Come to think of it, in a way, the predictions were right. I did fall in love that summer. Just not to the girl with the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut.

Alex
Hahaha! Awesome story Alex!

I've loved Ghostbusters as long as I can remember. I was a huge fan of the cartoon and one day I think I was asking my brother if the cartoon was on TV anywhere and he said no but that we had a Ghostbusters movie that I might like. And thus my obsession turned from just the cartoon to the cartoon and movie. Ghostbusters II was one of the first movies I saw in a theater. I still remember that day. We also had the vinyl soundtrack and I pumped that baby all the time when my parents would go out and leave me home. I still have that vinyl but I hadn't listened to it in probably 10-15 years since I didn't own a record player. I actually bought my wife one for Christmas though and man did the memories rush back when I fired up that record Christmas night.
Alex Newborn liked this
I was born in 1983, my first interaction was watching it on VHS all of the time. My cousin who is only 3 months older then me, which he was born in 1982 grew up on Ghostbusters with me as well. We were both able to see Ghostbusters 2 in movie theaters in 1989, which was amazing. Both movies are great, amazing, and so much more. In all honesty one word could never sum up Ghostbusters. I just know I'm thankful that both Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 were created and that the original 4 Ghostbusters will always be remembered. Till this day my cousin and I have never forgotten the 2 greatest movies ever made.
I was born in ’82, today's my 33rd birthday! I started watching the Filmation’s GBs on weekday mornings. I had no idea they made a movie in ’84. My parents got a VCR in ’86 and walking up and down the aisles of West Coast Video I remember seeing that black case with that awesome movie logo and remember flipping it over and seeing the Gozer battle on the back of the box. I was like this is called GB but it has nothing to do with the Filmation cartoon I’ve been watching. I rented it that first time and was instantly hooked. I remember renting it for months every time we went to the video store. Then my aunt 1 year for Christmas got me my own copy and I wore the living crap outta that tape.

Then came The Real GB cartoon and was hooked on that for years. Got around 80% of the Kenner toy line. Mostly as birthday & Christmas gifts. I remember after seeing GB2, I got the proton pack in Christmas of '89 and remember Christmas morning unwrapping the proton pack and saying the Louis Tully line "I was born to wear this stuff" lol
I was born in '84 and grew up watching The Real Ghostbusters on TV and Filmations Ghostbusters on some old VHS's that we had. I don't remember how old I was when I watched Ghostbusters for the first time, but we had it on VHS and I remember watching it constantly. I'm fairly certain I saw GBII in theatres, but I have no distinct memory of it. That's weird because I remember seeing Batman and that came out the same summer. My brothers and I had all of the RGB toys and we would always reenact scenes from the movie. It got a little problematic when we all wanted to be Venkman, however.
It's my mom's fault. She took me to see it in theaters when I was little, and I LOVED it. I am a little embarrased to admit that I did fall asleep at some point in the movie, but I woke up about around the Twinkie part. :blush: But anyway, we were walking in the store - or was it flipping through Netflix? - when I saw the No-Ghost logo holding up two fingers and I flipped. (Think, 'There's a Ghostbusters 2??? Why didn't you tell me?????? Can we watch it, can we watch it can we watch it??????' You can tell about how old I was when this happened.) We ended up getting the DVD gift set that came with both and that's when I found out about the Real Ghostbusters. Born WAY too late.
I was born in 81, just a bit too young to see the original when it was in theaters. I think my first introduction was through the cartoons as well. At the time I had a real soft spot for Slimer... actually, for slime in general... yeah I was weird kid.
I was literally born smack bang in the middle of the first and second!
I think my first introduction was very similar to yours Bernstein in the fact that I must have had my initial experience with the Cartoon, In 1991 at end of RGB's run (five).. but I can't say for certain. My grandfather recorded Ghostbusters 1 & 2 on christmas tele in 1990 and I got to watching those tapes over and over again (complete with adverts, even when I watch both films now as a full copy I can still tell where the ad breaks were) Around 1990-1991 I'd say I went Ghostbusters crazy, I had the Pack, the Trap with glow in the dark lid and air pump, the googles, the figures and the Kenner Ecto-1.

I'm missing having an "Ecto" in my life and I'm considering getting a model kit/ that lego kit/ diecast If anyone reads this and can recommend the BEST model kit for both Ecto-1 and 1-A I'd be very appreciative, and is the lego set as awesome as it looks? so as not to divert the conversation, PM me the info.
I've written blog posts about my experiences with Ghostbusters growing up at my personal blog/site, iRich. I'll link at the end of this post. For here, basically I was 6 years old when Ghostbusters was in theaters. I don't know when the advertising campaign began, probably not before April 11 or I would have been 5.

Unless it was advertised in print (my parents had at least had a newspaper subscription) I heard/saw the trailers on TV. Where on TV, who knows. I'd have to see what TV shows were on that I either was allowed to watch or would have watched with family. Its also possible I saw the teaser poster in theaters, I don't remember. Ghostbusters was the first non animated movie I recall seeing in theaters.

Their was something different about seeing what Ghostbusters was going to be. I was too young to know anything about Dan, Bill, Harold, ect's previous work. Which reminds me that my dad and our then neighbor (who was like family) loved Blues Brothers. I wouldn't have made the connection then that "Ray" was in Blues Brothers. Ghostbusters seemed real, I'm sure I didn't understand what acting was. I wanted to see it, basically wanted to experience what I was seeing and hearing in the trailers.

I don't remember what day I first saw Ghostbusters in theaters. I feel like I went the first time with my mom. Can't remember if anyone else was with us. I was pretty much all in from the beginning. When it was over, at some point in that near future I wanted to see it again. My mom probably didn't want to see it again in theaters, little would she know what was to come. 8) My parents might have had to work too. My then neighbor's wife (the one who watched Blues Brothers like we can watch Ghostbusters) and maybe some of their kids and I went to see it again. That second time might have been towards the end of June or early July.

Since I was too young I missed out on the early Ghostbusters merchandise and fan club. Thanks to Saturday morning cartoons I knew The Real Ghostbusters was coming that Sept, '86, followed by all that sweet early Kenner Merchandise, and I've continued to be a Ghostbusters fan since.

If any of you want to read my "history" with Ghostbusters, check out these blog posts from my site, iRich.

Are You Serious About This Catching Ghosts?
https://irichardroy.wordpress.com/2013/ ... ng-ghosts/

Ghostbusters Movie Media
https://irichardroy.wordpress.com/2014/ ... vie-media/

In the navigation menu is a page for Ghostbusters with all the Ghostbusters content. It wasn't all shared at either GB Inc or Ecto-Containment. Thanks for visiting.
http://www.ectozone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=162
1984 Thirteen year old Fritz Baugh hears a lot about a movie called "Ghostbusters", but he doesn't get out much and doesn't go see it, though the catchy theme song from Ray Parker Jr. plays on the radio every ten minutes. His brother "OgreBBQ" does get to see it, and tells him it's really cool

1985 Fourteen year old Fritz catches "Ghostbusters" on HBO. He loves it.

1986 Fifteen year old Fritz notices his three younger brothers watching a cartoon about four really wierd looking guys in Ghostbuster proton packs battling a monster with a pumpkin for a head. "What is this?" he asks. "It's the new Ghostbuster cartoon!" they tell him. By the end of the episode, he's already decided to get up early every Saturday to watch it.
I was born in the summer of 1985, so I had already missed the original run, so like a number of us I was exposed to it through the cartoons, and loved every moment of it, I think they still hold up even today.

Eventually the first movie came on TV, and my dad sat with me and it as it's one of his favorites too, and like many others I do recall being confused, why wasn't Egon blonde, why were there jumpsuits all brown, why are the packs all black, that kind of stuff, but I came to love it all the same, and for me the second movie was even better with the mood slime.

Another thing I grew up with was Lego, so I was stoked to see two things I have loved my entire life coming together in a Lego set.

Also one thing I wanted badly as a kid was my own proton pack, probably why I'm trying hard to get my own now. I've gotten to wear one once at Motor City Comic Con when I stood with Ecto-1, and now I want my own.
I was born in 1981, so I was only three when the first movie came out. It was when I was in grade 1 that I was looking through a TV listings, saw this entry for The Real Ghostbusters, flipped the channel to the one it was on, and the rest they say, is history.
Let's just say that I'm older than all you youngin's here. In 1984, I was a theatre manager and the summer film lineup was looking to have potential of epic proportions. The trailer for Ghostbusters was getting great audience reaction and when the film was released it did not disappoint. Audiences were universally excited and one could see how special the movie was just watching people exit the auditorium. I believe I watched it 3 times in the first week and in the interest of customer service, I would check the showings throughout the day to ensure a "quality performance."
All: I couldn't have possibly have known then, 12 years later I began working in the movie theater business. I wasn't a manager, as an older employee I was a supervisor, practically assistant manager.

bishop: Maybe you can answer something I mentioned in an earlier post. Do you remember when (month is fine) Columbia first began advertising Ghostbusters with the teaser poster in theaters?

All: If anyone remembers or knows what was the earliest Columbia began "teasing" Ghostbusters either in theaters or on TV, I'd be interesting in knowing.

Thanks.
I was born in August of '84, so too young to have seen it in theaters. I honestly can't remember a time when I wasn't a fan. I don't remember what came first, the cartoon or the movie, but I loved everything GB from the word go. I remember being so excited to see GB2 in theaters. I played the movies and cartoon to death, so much so, that me cosplayin as a GB surprises no one in my family or any of my friends. Lol. I would literally take my Kenner proton pack with me everywhere when I was a kid. Just about every pic of me as a child, I'm wearing a GB shirt or lugging the pack around....
Spengs wrote:Maybe you can answer something I mentioned in an earlier post. Do you remember when (month is fine) Columbia first began advertising Ghostbusters with the teaser poster in theaters?
Whoa, that's making me think hard (gears grinding & smoking).

I don't recall seeing anything GB related during the preceding Christmas, not do I recall seeing a "no ghosts" teaser poster in our theatre. That doesn't mean it wasn't displayed, just that I don't remember seeing it. I did see the logo used externally... perhaps around March or April of 1984... but it may have been out there prior and I just hadn't noticed.

Way back when, advance advertising was uncommon. To my recollection, most of the marketing activity hit in the month or two prior to release. I don't remember seeing any teaser trailer before April or May or hearing the Ray Parker tune until a few weeks before the movie opened. This was the period when you could feel the buzz & excitement building for the film.

We did display advance one sheets with the photo and tag line "coming to save the world this summer." Pretty sure those were up in Spring, perhaps April or early May. When the replacements arrived, "they're here to save the world," I won an advance in our raffle and I still have it...

Still brings back memories of that summer.

Given the mists of time, not sure how accurate my response is... but that's what this old man's noggin' remembers.
Spengs liked this
bishopdonmiguel wrote:
Spengs wrote:Maybe you can answer something I mentioned in an earlier post. Do you remember when (month is fine) Columbia first began advertising Ghostbusters with the teaser poster in theaters?
Whoa, that's making me think hard (gears grinding & smoking).

I don't recall seeing anything GB related during the preceding Christmas, not do I recall seeing a "no ghosts" teaser poster in our theatre. That doesn't mean it wasn't displayed, just that I don't remember seeing it. I did see the logo used externally... perhaps around March or April of 1984... but it may have been out there prior and I just hadn't noticed.

Way back when, advance advertising was uncommon. To my recollection, most of the marketing activity hit in the month or two prior to release. I don't remember seeing any teaser trailer before April or May or hearing the Ray Parker tune until a few weeks before the movie opened. This was the period when you could feel the buzz & excitement building for the film.

We did display advance one sheets with the photo and tag line "coming to save the world this summer." Pretty sure those were up in Spring, perhaps April or early May. When the replacements arrived, "they're here to save the world," I won an advance in our raffle and I still have it...

Still brings back memories of that summer.

Given the mists of time, not sure how accurate my response is... but that's what this old man's noggin' remembers.
I was gonna make a snarky comment about movie material always giving away too much, but look at the GB2 poster, that woudl give people stuff to talk about, namely guessing what the slime Blowers are or why their outfits changed.
kurisu7885 wrote:I was gonna make a snarky comment about movie material always giving away too much, but look at the GB2 poster, that woudl give people stuff to talk about, namely guessing what the slime Blowers are or why their outfits changed.
Poster art in the 70's and 80's was fantastic. Even the photography based materials were interesting. But I am biased.

There was a good deal of buzz for GB2... but everything going into the summer of 1989 was drowned out by the anticipation for Batman. It was the first movie I had experienced with such high advance awareness. In the weeks before its release, I would make audience greetings before starting our busiest performances. I might mention the Batman trailer was going to show or remind the audience it would be playing AT THIS THEATRE or toss a few bat-logo t-shirts to random guests as giveaways. Whatever I did didn't matter, the crowd would always explode in hoots & applause. It was kinda amazing.

GB2 opened well but faded quickly. I never understood the disappointment for it. I thought it a worthy follow-up to what is arguably the best movie ever made.
My first introduction was The Real Ghostbusters Cartoon when it first aired back in the 80s. I still remember the time it aired , Saturday at 5:00PM. Years later I'd see the Movie Ghostbusters and I first thought the movie was based on the cartoon and not the other way around so I was confused as to why Egon didn't have blond hair. Took me two years to see the ending. They showed it twice for Halloween at our elementary school and each time the teacher shut the movie off just before we got to see Stay Puft because it was time to get ready to go home.
I was born in spetember 84 so I missed out on the movie. But I was all over RGB (I didn't even know about the movie til later). I tried to ask my father about it some years ago but neither he nor my mom could remember when I first started liking it. Considering I suffered from frequent nightmares as a kid I'd imagine the idea of guys fighting ghosts and monsters with technology was the appealing part for my young mind.

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

I know very little about Five Nights at Freddy's […]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]