Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
This morning on Facebook, Adrian Finney shared a new Halifax video to the Ghostbusters Franchises Worldwide group:

https://www.facebook.com/halifax/videos ... 163577809/

I tried to find it in better quality, and spotted this 60-second version in full widescreen.

[EDIT: Well, now it says the video is unavailable. Good thing I downloaded it for posterity when I did.]

https://youtu.be/TYteZm2dVpU

My first thought was it's really bizarre to see Dan Aykroyd flipped mirror-image (and his cigarette digitally painted out).

(Original film, if anyone wants to compare:)

My second thought was that they actually did a pretty decent job on their ghost trap pedal prop.

I also liked how 'Greg' even puts his hand on Aykroyd's shoulder at the end of the video. Nice interaction of separate elements.

Alex
Sav C liked this
Yeah, I noticed that occurred shortly after I made this post. (See the EDIT above.)

Over on Facebook, Adrian Finney said they also revised their video on their FB page.

He said the original link he posted was the full version. After he shared it, they changed the link to be the shorter, 'mobile' format version.

Hopefully they'll get things sorted and be able to post the full version again.

If not, I've got it archived.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: August 13th, 2018, 11:56 am Yeah, I noticed that occurred shortly after I made this post. (See the EDIT above.)

Over on Facebook, Adrian Finney said they also revised their video on their FB page.

He said the original link he posted was the full version. After he shared it, they changed the link to be the shorter, 'mobile' format version.

Hopefully they'll get things sorted and be able to post the full version again.

If not, I've got it archived.

Alex

Thanks, but I meant that your archive at https://youtu.be/TYteZm2dVpU is also down ?
Kingpin wrote: August 13th, 2018, 2:37 pm A high-resolution version is now available to view on Vimeo:

Link
Haha it's awesome, so well done. I love the gritty '84 color cast on the presenter scenes.

BTW: What are those wires sticking out of Ray's wand when the guy is lying on the ground saying he'd prefer contact less?

I don't recall those wires being part of the wand.
Last edited by One time on August 13th, 2018, 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One time wrote: August 13th, 2018, 4:05 pmBTW: What are those wires sticking out of Ray's wand when the guy is lying on the ground saying he'd prefer contact less?

Looks like someone employed a bit of embellishment with the props they commissioned.
Kingpin wrote: August 14th, 2018, 1:30 am
One time wrote: August 13th, 2018, 4:05 pmBTW: What are those wires sticking out of Ray's wand when the guy is lying on the ground saying he'd prefer contact less?

Looks like someone employed a bit of embellishment with the props they commissioned.
Ah ok.

I thought it was a genuine GB'84 scene with the guy superimposed over Bill Murray.
Pretty weird to me that the response to this has been so positive. I genuinely find is really distasteful to use Harold Ramis like this. I mean sure the GB brand has been on pretty much everything but I really don't like the idea of using an actor who is no longer with us to promote something like a bank!

Also doubly weird to think lady Ghostbusters supposedly ruined childhoods and was an insult to Ghostbusters but this isn't?
Lee FW wrote: August 14th, 2018, 12:00 pm Pretty weird to me that the response to this has been so positive. I genuinely find is really distasteful to use Harold Ramis like this. I mean sure the GB brand has been on pretty much everything but I really don't like the idea of using an actor who is no longer with us to promote something like a bank!

Also doubly weird to think lady Ghostbusters supposedly ruined childhoods and was an insult to Ghostbusters but this isn't?
I have to strongly disagree with this statement as I think the exact opposite.

Halifax have done a few videos like this. In another the same Halifax guy is inside the 1939 Wizard of Oz film and is interacting with the characters! I'm not sure but statistically a number of them should not be alive anymore either. (EDIT: they are all deceased. The last of which, Ray Bolger (The Tin Man) died in 1987, 31 years ago.)

The way the Halifax ad is done is simply beyond an ad for me but it's a genuine work of art. Being an artist myself (architect), it takes a tremendous amount of talent and skill to create those few minutes of footage.

And I feel honored that they chose Ghostbusters (1984) for that endeavor. We are all fans so view it with rose tinted glasses, but the general public in 2018 is rarely (if not never?) exposed to scenes from GB '84 in their daily life.

And to have it presented in such an interactive and artistic way is beyond flattering.

As for Harold Ramis, I can't speak for him, but if it were me I would feel flattered to be brought into the daily life of the modern public, youthful and at my prime, and in one of my most memorable roles. As long as due royalties were paid to my estate I'd have no problems with it and even feel flattered and proud.

His feelings would not be any different from Aykroyds who evidently was perfectly fine with it.

And come on, what better thing to happen for the public perception of us fans than this awesome ad!
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
Lee FW wrote: August 14th, 2018, 12:00 pm I genuinely find is really distasteful to use Harold Ramis like this. I mean sure the GB brand has been on pretty much everything but I really don't like the idea of using an actor who is no longer with us to promote something like a bank!
I'm positive Harold's family were consulted when this idea was being developed, his footage wouldn't have been used without their permission.

While I can appreciate some fans aren't keen that Ghostbusters has been used to advertise a bank, there are worse things the footage could've been used to flog, and the advert itself doesn't really undermine his performance, credability or character. It's a fun advert from people who clearly have a love for the film themselves.
Sav C liked this
At the end of the day a far more apt use would be to be talking about Ray's 3 mortgages and the 95,000 interest rate, that's the reality of banks.

I really hope that they did seek the blessing of the family purely out of courtesy, but it's likely if they are just repurposing footage from the film they would just need the studios rights. Depends on his contract but it's very likely he signed off on the studio been able to use the footage from the film almost however they liked (That's changing a little now given people wouldn't have been able to anticipate they could do something like this in the future and so are protecting themselves and their families far greater)

Likeness rights aside I just genuinely think it's really gross, same with Wizard of Oz. As a creative I also strongly disagree that it's a work of art, I've worked on several bank commercials and it's always been a negative, creatively devoid experience. That doesn't negate the talent that goes into making them just that they aren't made with any kind of love. Ghostbusters was picked for no other reason than just to tug and exploit those nostalgia strings like their other ads.

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]