Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Doctor Venkman
Directors Panel...
Jason Reitman confirmed that Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, and... BILL MURRAY have all read the script for Ghostbusters 3. They are all part of an advisory board for the new movie.

He grinned when asked if they’re in it.

The new family in this movie is connected to the original films but “they (meaning the family) do not yet know how they’re connected.”

The surprise was a ton of dailies from GB84. Included lots of alternate takes and some lines that everyone, including Jason, kind of seemed surprised could ever have been cut!

Egon has two fantastic lines...
- When Janine hugs him after telling him she’s afraid he’s gonna die, he deadpans, “You have nice clavicles.”
- When Peck suggests they’re using sense and nerve gases and that they stole them, he says “We wouldn’t steal them, we’d make our own.”
By Kingpin
back wrote: June 8th, 2019, 5:57 am
Sav C wrote: June 6th, 2019, 3:22 pm
Is it just me, or does it Look like it was the Caddy that was cut in Half for the interior shots? Image
Definitely a scale model rather than part of one of the full-scale cars - I think the biggest giveaways are how simplified the gas tank cap looks, the shape of the panels around the lower taillight housing, as well as the incorrect way the red paint has been depicted on the sections of the rear quater-panels nearest the rear door:

Sav C, deadderek, back liked this
By Dr.D
Here's the thing for everyone "upset" about no GB20 news...

THAT WAS ALL CONJECTURE. THEY NEVER SAID ANYTHING WAS BEING REVEALED.

There was never any time Wizard or Reitman said "Hey we're dropping GB20 news at Fan Fest". That was all fan conjecture. If you paid attention, they kept talking about how the fest was more just a general celebration of the Ghostbusters franchise. See this is why I get annoyed when entitled fanbabies get upset everything isn't catered to them. When fanbabies decide to dissect every word from every interview and treat it as gospel.

I went into fan fest looking to hang out with other fans and see all the GB folks in one place. I got to talk to Richard Edlund about Warren Zevon, met some wonderful fans from all over the world, got to see the original Ecto-1 and see Ivan Reitman reduced to tears over the fans and his son. Was the show a bit disorganized? Of course, everyone who has ever gone to a first time con can speak to that. But I've been to far worse.

My point? Don't get pissy because they didn't deliver what you specifically wanted. Especially when what you wanted was never even hinted at. This is why I have zero patience for fan over-speculation because now I guarantee all the manchildren who were upset we didn't get Bill Murray on stage or some other ridiculous fantasy are gonna say the event sucked, and their voices will be amplified by those who didn't get to attend.

I ask you this, if GB2020 wasn't coming out next year and Fan Fest was simply to celebrate the 35th of the first movie, would ya'll be as upset?
Sav C, Kingpin, deadderek and 4 others liked this
By RichRyan1507
No reason to go on a tirade. Just would have been cool to get some exciting exclusive news for the new GB movie at GB Fest. If anything, just feels like a missed opportunity. Can you imagine that place if they had dropped some big piece of news there?
Sav C, deadderek, Coover5 liked this
By Dr.D
But again, they never said anything about the movie was coming out and think about it this way...imagine how many more people would've paid for tickets if they officially stated "hey, we're gonna be talking GB20 and revealing some more info"

If it seems like a tirade it's my slight overreaction, it's because this is a smaller part of a larger issue with fandom. A festival on a studio lot is a cool idea, and yeah if they dropped GB20 info I'd have been screaming my head off too. My point is they never said they were going to, so it's frustrating to see people mad over that when they really did put on a cool festival.

But for real...WHEN ARE WE GONNA TALK ABOUT KATO?
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
While I hope we won't see the sort of behaviour Dr.D was referring to, the base part of his point is valid: there was a lot of runaway speculation about what might be said about the original cast, and if they'd be appearing. Excitement in measure is a good thing, but we need to be wary about assuming every small development is the suggestion of something bigger.
Probably the worst of the speculation to spin out of Fan Fest (which at the end of the day had always been billed as a celebration of the original film, rather than bringing info on next year's) was the "liklihood" of an announcement of the original cast's involvement in 2020.
Sav C, deadderek, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
By Sav C
I didn't get a chance to go, but I saw on Reddit that the score was played live by an orchestra, and the Redditors had really enjoyed it.

The other week I watched 21 and 22 Jump Street for the first time. Heck, those movies are awesome! Anyway, it occurred to me today that if the Original Ghostbusters are in 2020, Jason could pull a 21 Jump Street and only have the OGs in one scene towards the end.

Edit: Oops, I forgot my point. My point is that we may be right in predicting that the OGs show up, and it still might not live up to our expectations.
By Davideverona
Well, I was HOPING for some news but not EXPECTING anything.

When Jason was added to the guest list he said that he'd chat about the new movie. Which he did.

Hearing that Murray has finally READ a script is just wonderful as it is! How many times Ivan and Dan tried to lure him in?

Hearing that the family HAS a connection to the original Ghostbusters is wonderful!

Sure, hearing an official statement would have been a blast, but I suspect Jason wants these announcements to have the attention they deserve without being lost in all the grand Fest shenanigans.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
Here is the panel between father and son Reitman, part 1:

https://youtu.be/kmAwzIyKThI

This also reveals the little surprise Jason had. They found unused footage of GB84 in a bunker and he needs it for the new movie. He would not tell why, though.

I wonder what footage of GB84 he would need that he couldn't use from GB2. (Perhaps the family is related to Peck? Would also make sense why the mother is single, and why the connection to GB is not clear to them.)

Part two: Part two: https://youtu.be/5l4_VLEXkcE
Last edited by Alphagaia on June 9th, 2019, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davideverona, Sav C, back and 1 others liked this
By back
Coover5 wrote: June 9th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Davideverona wrote: June 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm Or maybe is he doing a research just to find a matching style.
I hope so. I think I promised to eat my shoes if Jason used old footage in GB20.
Good News! Dan recently announced K-Swiss' New line of Ghostbusters shoes to replace the ones youre about to eat :D
(Would you like that with Red Ketchup or without?)
(a gold star to those who Get the OLD 'Red Ketchup pun)
deadderek liked this
By Slimered
SpaceBallz wrote: June 8th, 2019, 8:28 pm I've been following social media, the only thing (as far as I know) that Jason announced was that all the original GBs and Sigourney have "read the script." And that's it. Nothing official. And "If Everything goes okay we start filming in 5 weeks." A few quips we already knew that Jason had already mentioned, the 3rd film being a "love letter to the original films" and that he wants to "scare children" (so it'll be scary).

Assuming they're waiting on someone or multiple people to sign on, so no new cast announcements.

I hope those pricey tickets were worth it :lol:

He's messed up the publicity side of things then. Falling into the same trap there as Chris Chibnall with Doctor Who: too concerned about keeping everything under wraps, and not enough reveals.
By Sav C
Eh, for most movies I just see the poster, trailer, and then the film. It's very rare that I follow a film throughout its production.

I didn't know Endgame was out until the day it was released.
Alphagaia, back liked this
By Ghost-Writer
I have a theory. Carrie Coon is the product of Janine and Egon - perhaps a fling they had between the first 2 movies. She grew up right along side Oscar (Heck, maybe we learn Oscar’s Dad was in fact Venkman - something Dana never wanted him to know until much later when they reconnected). Maybe Oscar and Carrie Coon’s Character grow up and have kids of their own, either together or separate - McKenna Grace & Finn Wolfhard being Connie’s of course. Heck, they look a lot like Egon and it’s very common for boys to look like their Grandfathers. But what it Connie’s ex was Oscar? These kids would be the grandkids of not only Egon and Janine, but also Dana and maybe even Venkman!

With that being said, what if they share the same vulnerabilities as Dana and have a close tie with the spiritual world since she was possessed once. What if they’re visited by a ghost-grandfather - a CGI Egon - and informed of something strange in the neighborhood! Or maybe he left clues, blueprints that they find and resurrect GB when matters need them to!

Finally, what’s with this “Rust City” codename rhe movie is going by? That’s what we Seattleites call Seattle. Are they bringing it to the Pacific NW ...from New York?!

So much to speculate! This is exciting!
By Ghost-Writer
It sounds to be just as authentic as the original movies were - less CGI, more puppet mastery and clever effects, albeit with better technology for when they need it. The music and familiar sounds are all back too. Maybe instead of Casey Kasem, we get Ryan Seacrest or something. (He does the billboard countdowns now, right?) or maybe another famous reporter? Another funny element would be if they incorporated the divisiveness of today’s politics - with a Left-Leaning interpretation and a Right-Leaning interpretation - haha! Just imagine who they pic to be the debaters! The trailer was perfect. The sounds and music are promising. With the existence of “Stranger Things” and how the cast is shaping up - I’d say things are looking very promising. The credits better end by saying “For Herald”. Maybe do what avengers did and have a clue as to where the sequels may take the story!
By Michael Scott
I had a thought that’s slightly off topic. Some have been expressing that having Dana Barrett in the movie for the third time out of three is pushing it in the believability department. How much would it blow your mind if the first time we see her on screen early in the film, someone is trying to get her attention and says, “Excuse me Mrs. Venkman...”

To me that would make her position in the film that much more concrete.
By Coover5
I have a lot of opinions on Dana being in this but it comes down to a lot of factors and since it would be a lot of guessing right now I won't say anything. But that would be a cool introduction for the character.
By Davideverona
https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/06/10 ... ectacular/

A nice recap of the casting process.

I was watching the first Ghostbusters and a line from Egon caught my attention. He's explaining Shandor's life: "..... and then in 1920 he started a secret society".

Next year will be the 100th anniversary of the Shandor's Society foundation. Sounds like a plausible motivation to put some supernatural event in motion
mrmichaelt, Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By mrmichaelt
Davideverona wrote: June 9th, 2019, 11:47 pmhttps://comicbook.com/movies/2019/06/10 ... ectacular/

I was watching the first Ghostbusters and a line from Egon caught my attention. He's explaining Shandor's life: "..... and then in 1920 he started a secret society".

Next year will be the 100th anniversary of the Shandor's Society foundation. Sounds like a plausible motivation to put some supernatural event in motion
The ghosts like their anniversaries. But man, I had my fill of Shandor and the Cult of Gozer from The Video Game. Yet, they are releasing a remastered version close to the end of the year. Maybe there's another reason why it is being released, aside from the 10 year anniversary.

Could be they find a cursed artifact in the house they move to in the country and not knowing what it is or their family history, their Shandor DNA triggers it.

It's kinda funny, but I was trying to brainstorm what the connection was and it just dawned me me maybe "the Coven" but that was from GB2 not GB1.
robbritton liked this
By Davideverona
An interesting tidbit from Jason was that the characters doesn't know their connection to the Ghostbusters, they'll discover it.

Maybe they're Spengler's relatives and Egon didn't had the time to reach for them?

Are they Barrett's DNA carriers? With the explanation that Dana's dna makes her and her family targets for supernatural attacks, maybe the Ghostbusters choose to not reveal this to the new generation.
deadderek liked this
By Seth Rex
Davideverona wrote: June 9th, 2019, 11:47 pmhttps://comicbook.com/movies/2019/06/10 ... ectacular/

Hmm. A good thought. They could actually reuse elements of the 2009 game and mold it together for the new movie. Which would be why the game itself is no longer considered canon. Because the story itself is being reused for the actual Ghostbusters 3 movie.
By Dr.D
After everything this weekend, I couldn't be more trusting of Jason and his team. Something about the way he spoke to his father on stage and the way they both discussed what the could of GB20 I really think this is all coming from a place of deep respect for the franchise. As a screenwriter myself, I know how hard it can be to articulate where a story idea comes from, but the way he described all the imagery he conjured up gave me chills. Sometimes you have an idea that just grows and grows until you know you have to write it, and in his case bring it all the way to the screen.

And what a cool, sociable dude Jason turned out to be. The guy is an indie legend in filmmaking in his own right, and yeah I never thought I'd see him to a GB movie. I especially didn't think I'd speak face to face with him and see him get excited that me and my buddy went dressed in RGB costumes which he clocked immediately. The fact that they've all read the script is a substantial update. Five weeks until shooting, I'd imagine in that time we'll hear more.

For now, I am content to wait. Because for the first time my cautions optimism has given way to plain optimism. They're gonna knock it out of the park.
By robbritton
Seth Rex wrote: June 10th, 2019, 9:21 am

Hmm. A good thought. They could actually reuse elements of the 2009 game and mold it together for the new movie. Which would be why the game itself is no longer considered canon. Because the story itself is being reused for the actual Ghostbusters 3 movie.
Ivan never said it wasn't canon, he said he doesn't consider it to be Ghostbusters 3. A subtle but important distinction.

I'm sure they'll deal with the game by not dealing with it - just have whatever happened to the OGB's happen in 1995 or something - boom, problem solved.

The more I think about it, I just can't see Jason Reitman pointedly retconning out of existence the last time Harold Ramis will ever play Egon. It's easy to ignore it and also leave it in continuity, it'd be a weird move to not.
deadderek, philmorgan81 liked this
By philmorgan81
robbritton wrote: June 10th, 2019, 10:55 am
Seth Rex wrote: June 10th, 2019, 9:21 am

Ivan never said it wasn't canon, he said he doesn't consider it to be Ghostbusters 3. A subtle but important distinction.

I'm sure they'll deal with the game by not dealing with it - just have whatever happened to the OGB's happen in 1995 or something - boom, problem solved.

The more I think about it, I just can't see Jason Reitman pointedly retconning out of existence the last time Harold Ramis will ever play Egon. It's easy to ignore it and also leave it in continuity, it'd be a weird move to not.
Thank you robbritton I was about to say the same thing. I think everything you said is 100% on the money. It really warmed me to see Ivan and Jason up there just talking about Ivan's directing process and just shooting the breeze both as filmmakers and father and son. That moment when Jason said he was doing this movie for fans and also for his father. Very touching.

I already had Grand Canyon sized confidence in this film, but after Fan Fest my confidence and optimism just soared. I really think this new movie is going to bring satisfying closure to characters we know and love yet at the same time open the doors to new and exciting things. :):):)

Also after this movie knocks it out of the park we could see the 2 proposed animated projects get put on fast track. I am still hoping that Ecto Force and the Animated feature film are still on the table. Just because the original characters are passing the torch in the live action films doesn't mean we're done with those characters. Dan Aykroyd mentioned those 2 shows plus the prequel he wants to do during his Paranormal Ghost Hunting panal. I am still not sure how a prequel would work, but I am not going to say no to more Ghostbusters. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on June 10th, 2019, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By timeware
I hope the ecto is what they use as the theater standee. Would be nice if they added a slimer behind the window. I will be living on e bay in order to snatch one if that's the case.
back liked this

Industrial Strength Velcor. Can hold 10 pounds eve[…]

Weathering your uniform?

I weathered my tru spec with various watered down […]

Complete Kit Options?

Wondering what options are out there for complete […]

I've also been working on the engineering uniform.[…]