Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By VenomSymbiote
Recently started season 2. I think they flubbed in the scene where Dustin and Lucas ask Max to go trick or treating with them. In the scene she mentions they're wearing Proton Packs. They never say Proton Pack until GB2 though. From my understanding they were called this in the first movies script, but it's never said in the movie. Was there any info floating around about what they were called as far as the script goes? If nobody knew until GB2 rolled around then they dun goofed.
By RichardLess
VenomSymbiote wrote: July 6th, 2019, 9:09 pm Recently started season 2. I think they flubbed in the scene where Dustin and Lucas ask Max to go trick or treating with them. In the scene she mentions they're wearing Proton Packs. They never say Proton Pack until GB2 though. From my understanding they were called this in the first movies script, but it's never said in the movie. Was there any info floating around about what they were called as far as the script goes? If nobody knew until GB2 rolled around then they dun goofed.
I don't know but Real Ghostbusters used Proton Pack before GB2, granted that was 1986.
By deadderek
Ok here's a stretch but:

The boys being nerds got a copy of the script (maybe Bob had some friends in L.A.), and Max overheard them use the term at some point off screen.

There. :D
By RedSpecial
I'm sure the term must have been used on TV spots, articles or interviews at the time.

Given how obsessed the boys were, it's not hard to imagine that they could have learned it from there.
By VenomSymbiote
Oh yeah if there was any info out there floating around about what the packs were called, the boys would know. I just have no idea if such info was floating around. I guess that's the real question. Were they called Proton Packs anywhere before RGB, around October of 1984 in any piece of promo material, interviews, etc.
By VenomSymbiote
Coover5 wrote: July 7th, 2019, 10:26 amhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDFTCf ... 6&index=58
Thanks for the vid! Was more or less exactly what I was curious about. So there were indeed some things floating around even in '84 that called them Proton Packs. It may be unlikely she knew but not at all impossible. Thought the instance was interesting since it didn't dawn on me until like 15-20 minutes after the Stranger Things scene in question.
By ghoulishfright
Very good work, Alex. Would it be too much to ask you to upload that People magazine review article? I would very much like to read it. I just love reading/watching old movie reviews to see how right or wrong the reviewers were in retrospect (although I would be shocked if Ghostbusters had any negative reviews). :)
Alex Newborn liked this
By Alex Newborn
It's somewhat embarrassing, but I posted a version of this online almost two years ago without catching the significance.

I scanned and posted all of the photocopies from my scrapbook into an album on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

I had forgotten it until just now, but my caption for this particular scan points out that the name Peter Travers is also associated with the reboot from 2016, but I never did discover whether that film's visual effects director was the same Peter Travers who penned this 1984 review of the original.

Since you're interested in old reviews, here's the full album. I don't think it was universally loved, in particular Pauline Kael's review wasn't exactly favorable, but her taste in movies and mine often diverged. (You know the big bad guy in Willow, General Kael? That's George Lucas' idea of revenge, naming the villains after folks who had negatively reviewed Star Wars. See also the two-headed 'Eborsisk' dragon.)

https://www.facebook.com/alex.newborn/m ... 375&type=3

Notice some of the less legible articles can usually be seen in better quality later in that album, because I tracked down physical copies of several of the photocopied magazines two years ago. This issue of People eluded my search until now.

Alex
Coover5, ghoulishfright liked this
By RichardLess
Alex Newborn wrote: July 28th, 2020, 9:04 pm It's somewhat embarrassing, but I posted a version of this online almost two years ago without catching the significance.

I scanned and posted all of the photocopies from my scrapbook into an album on Facebook.

I had forgotten it until just now, but my caption for this particular scan points out that the name Peter Travers is also associated with the reboot from 2016, but I never did discover whether that film's visual effects director was the same Peter Travers who penned this 1984 review of the original.

Since you're interested in old reviews, here's the full album. I don't think it was universally loved, in particular Pauline Kael's review wasn't exactly favorable, but her taste in movies and mine often diverged. (You know the big bad guy in Willow, General Kael? That's George Lucas' idea of revenge, naming the villains after folks who had negatively reviewed Star Wars. See also the two-headed 'Eborsisk' dragon.)

Notice some of the less legible articles can usually be seen in better quality later in that album, because I tracked down physical copies of several of the photocopied magazines two years ago. This issue of People eluded my search until now.

Alex
Just an FYI Roger Ebert & Gene Siskel LOVED Star Wars, Ebert gave all original films his highest rating of four stars. Infact the only negative review Ebert ever gave for a live action SW flick was for Attack of the Clones. And that negative review seems more directed at the digital projection presentation he attended than the movie itself.

Also...

MY GOD YOU ARE A HARDCORE FAN. Wow. Just wow.

I mean, you have a ghostbusters scrapbook...from College!?! That’s amazing

I think you might be the ultimate GB fan. And I don’t give that up easily. But wow. You did all this to answer a question on an Internet forum. Amazing. Kudos.

You’re also the guy who uploads like every single TV spot and utterance of the word “Ghostbusters” from 1989 when GB2 was being promoted, right? That’s crazy. I’ve spent a lot of time...too much probably, watching those. My god they used the “Mood Slime” clip over and over to promote the film didn’t they?
By ghoulishfright
Alex Newborn wrote: July 28th, 2020, 9:04 pm It's somewhat embarrassing, but I posted a version of this online almost two years ago without catching the significance.

Alex

Thanks very much! I like Travers's review, although it is strangely backhanded how he labels some of the humour "bad taste." Then again the 80's was a time when certain horror-comedies and video nasties like The Evil Dead were straight up banned in the UK, and church ladies everywhere were losing their marbles over the satanic forces of MTV. It seems that yesteryear's "bad taste" is now respectable and tame family entertainment, in many cases.

Also, I don't think he quoted the movie correctly; "Freeze, potato face!" was definitely not a line of dialogue . . . but it should've been! :blush:

I am well aware of the General Kael and Eborsisk references, too. It's amazing how hit-or-miss Ebert especially was. Some of his reviews were spot on, but his views of films like Gladiator and Blue Velvet were astoundingly idiotic. Can't win 'em all, I s'pose.
By Alex Newborn
RichardLess wrote: July 29th, 2020, 3:04 amJust an FYI Roger Ebert & Gene Siskel LOVED Star Wars, Ebert gave all original films his highest rating of four stars. In fact the only negative review Ebert ever gave for a live action SW flick was for Attack of the Clones. And that negative review seems more directed at the digital projection presentation he attended than the movie itself.

Duly noted. I wonder what they did to tick him off to come up with Eborsisk? Or it might've been the brainchild of someone else involved with Willow. As I recall, the character Cherlindrea was named after the wives/girlfriends of Ron Howard, George Lucas, and maybe the screenwriter? Cheryl + Linda + Andrea = Cherlindrea

[And the Linda in question was Linda Ronstadt, I believe?]

I guess we'll have to check their reviews of THX-1138, American Graffiti, and all of Ron Howard's prior films.
RichardLess wrote:I mean, you have a ghostbusters scrapbook...from College!?! That’s amazing

Yep. I didn't utilize Collier Library's microfiche catalogues to do very many research papers, so I was usually checking out books on ghosts and as many GB-related ads and articles as I could track down. I even had some faxed over from other libraries.

I amused myself other ways in that library too, but I can't discuss those without incriminating a woman now married to a church deacon, so...

I made an earlier video on the contents of the scrapbook. The link's in the description of this new video, but here's a direct link too.

RichardLess wrote: You did all this to answer a question on an Internet forum. Amazing. Kudos.

You’re also the guy who uploads like every single TV spot and utterance of the word “Ghostbusters” from 1989 when GB2 was being promoted, right? That’s crazy. I’ve spent a lot of time...too much probably, watching those. My god they used the “Mood Slime” clip over and over to promote the film didn’t they?

Yes that's me, and yes they did.

And I thank you for the kudos. The past couple of years I've sort of appointed myself to combat the popular 'mythconceptions' about Ghostbusters. At times I've felt like a single stone in the river of erroneous claims, being worn down by the onrush. But every so often people tell me how much they appreciate my search for independently verifiable factoids, and that makes it all worthwhile.
ghoulishfright wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:39 amAlso, I don't think he quoted the movie correctly; "Freeze, potato face!" was definitely not a line of dialogue . . . but it should've been! :blush:

Someone made a similar comment in my scrapbook scan album on Facebook the other night, so I looked it up...

"Freeze, Potato-Face!" is actually from p. 47 of the September script of Ghostbusters. The reviewer must have been given a copy by someone.

https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_script.htm

I presume it was a precursor to the "ugly little spud" line which survives in the finished film.

I've seen reviews of various films over the years that 'quote' lines that don't appear in the actual movies. I guess in the rush to get an article to press, they used whatever resources they could lay hands on, but what's so hard about going and taking notes at a screening of the movie you're claiming to have seen?

Oh well, I have a distrust of journalism which also dates back to college. By dint of drawing the political cartoons for the campus newspaper, I was inducted into the Society for Collegiate Journalists and it was the one and only club to misspell my name on my acceptance certificate.

Can you say irony?

Alex
ghoulishfright liked this
By Glenn Frederick
Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong or confirm if i'm right but I remember my dad first telling me how Siskel and Ebert didn't like Star Wars in their original review back in 1977. They claimed right after the film was a huge hit that they actually liked the film and They praised the sequels and re-release in 1997. I do remember on the very early morning "ABC World News" program in 1997 they aired their original review and I saw for myself that they didn't like the film and thought it was silly.

I've wondered why nobody mentions this? There's nothing on YouTube but a clip of Gene Siskel defending Star Wars and their 1997 review. It seems they managed to purposely erase their original review from existence after they realized they hated one of the greatest movies ever made? Ebert's Chicago Sun Times Review online gives Star Wars a good review but it's dated January 01 1977 but wasn't the release date May 25 1977?

EDIT: I've spent the entire day searching for proof for what I remember and all I come up with is nothing but good reviews, Gene Siskel's review in the Tribune was positive so I must be wrong.
Last edited by Glenn Frederick on July 30th, 2020, 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By RichardLess
ghoulishfright wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:39 am

Alex

Thanks very much! I like Travers's review, although it is strangely backhanded how he labels some of the humour "bad taste." Then again the 80's was a time when certain horror-comedies and video nasties like The Evil Dead were straight up banned in the UK, and church ladies everywhere were losing their marbles over the satanic forces of MTV. It seems that yesteryear's "bad taste" is now respectable and tame family entertainment, in many cases.

Also, I don't think he quoted the movie correctly; "Freeze, potato face!" was definitely not a line of dialogue . . . but it should've been! :blush:

I am well aware of the General Kael and Eborsisk references, too. It's amazing how hit-or-miss Ebert especially was. Some of his reviews were spot on, but his views of films like Gladiator and Blue Velvet were astoundingly idiotic. Can't win 'em all, I s'pose.
Yeah Ebert is by far my favourite critic but man he could get it wrong sometimes. His review of Reservoir Dogs and Team America & Full Metal Jacket especially.

All that being said, I 100% agree with him on Gladiator. I mean come on, Best Picture over Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? Craziness. I use to enjoy Gladiator. Seeing it in theatres was great. But then I saw the show Rome and started reading about Roman history and it just doesn’t do it for me.

His Pearl Harbour review is an all time great read. Sometimes when a new movie comes out I often wonder “what would Roger Ebert think?”
By RichardLess
Alex Newborn wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:22 pm
RichardLess wrote: July 29th, 2020, 3:04 amJust an FYI Roger Ebert & Gene Siskel LOVED Star Wars, Ebert gave all original films his highest rating of four stars. In fact the only negative review Ebert ever gave for a live action SW flick was for Attack of the Clones. And that negative review seems more directed at the digital projection presentation he attended than the movie itself.

Duly noted. I wonder what they did to tick him off to come up with Eborsisk? Or it might've been the brainchild of someone else involved with Willow. As I recall, the character Cherlindrea was named after the wives/girlfriends of Ron Howard, George Lucas, and maybe the screenwriter? Cheryl + Linda + Andrea = Cherlindrea

[And the Linda in question was Linda Ronstadt, I believe?]

I guess we'll have to check their reviews of THX-1138, American Graffiti, and all of Ron Howard's prior films.
RichardLess wrote:I mean, you have a ghostbusters scrapbook...from College!?! That’s amazing

Yep. I didn't utilize Collier Library's microfiche catalogues to do very many research papers, so I was usually checking out books on ghosts and as many GB-related ads and articles as I could track down. I even had some faxed over from other libraries.

I amused myself other ways in that library too, but I can't discuss those without incriminating a woman now married to a church deacon, so...

I made an earlier video on the contents of the scrapbook. The link's in the description of this new video, but here's a direct link too.

RichardLess wrote: You did all this to answer a question on an Internet forum. Amazing. Kudos.

Yes that's me, and yes they did.

And I thank you for the kudos. The past couple of years I've sort of appointed myself to combat the popular 'mythconceptions' about Ghostbusters. At times I've felt like a single stone in the river of erroneous claims, being worn down by the onrush. But every so often people tell me how much they appreciate my search for independently verifiable factoids, and that makes it all worthwhile.
ghoulishfright wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:39 amAlso, I don't think he quoted the movie correctly; "Freeze, potato face!" was definitely not a line of dialogue . . . but it should've been! :blush:

Someone made a similar comment in my scrapbook scan album on Facebook the other night, so I looked it up...

"Freeze, Potato-Face!" is actually from p. 47 of the September script of Ghostbusters. The reviewer must have been given a copy by someone.

https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_script.htm

I presume it was a precursor to the "ugly little spud" line which survives in the finished film.

I've seen reviews of various films over the years that 'quote' lines that don't appear in the actual movies. I guess in the rush to get an article to press, they used whatever resources they could lay hands on, but what's so hard about going and taking notes at a screening of the movie you're claiming to have seen?

Oh well, I have a distrust of journalism which also dates back to college. By dint of drawing the political cartoons for the campus newspaper, I was inducted into the Society for Collegiate Journalists and it was the one and only club to misspell my name on my acceptance certificate.

Can you say irony?

Alex
Can you read off those notes you made after seeing GB2 in theatres? I’d be interested in seeing them. How old were you in 1989? Old enough to remember if Slimer came out of the Statue of Liberty(which I’m fairly certain is a myth. But I still hold out hope someone 100% remembers seeing that)
By Alex Newborn
RichardLess wrote: July 30th, 2020, 2:54 pm Can you read off those notes you made after seeing GB2 in theatres? I’d be interested in seeing them. How old were you in 1989? Old enough to remember if Slimer came out of the Statue of Liberty(which I’m fairly certain is a myth. But I still hold out hope someone 100% remembers seeing that)
I thought I had them scanned already, but if so they're not in that album.

I was 19 and in college when GBII came out.

I've been asked before about the notes, so I know I checked. There's no notation about Slimer coming out of the Statue of Liberty at the end credits, and I personally have zero memory of seeing it. I saw the film twice on opening day and came home to a copy of the script in my mailbox from the guy who adapted the movie for the NOW Comics version. So I immediately read the script with a fresh double-dose of having seen the movie.

I have always believed that the large number of folks claiming to have seen this Slimer scene in theatres must be similar to the 'Biggs chat' scene from Star Wars, which many people swore was in the version they'd seen, but was most likely a conflation of viewing the film and reading the photo storybook and novelization.

There ARE stage directions in the November 88 and February 89 script drafts for GB2 about Slimer flying out of the Statue's observation windows. But what everyone seems to ignore when using this as 'proof' is that the shot of Slimer was intended to be from the other characters' POV from the ceremony on the base, AFTER their deleted dialogue about their various ancestry.

https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb2_script.htm

The Nov 88 script includes an extra gag of Stantz realizing they put Libby's torch in the wrong hand, with Venkman telling him "Shhh. Nobody'll notice." This was omitted prior to the Feb 89 script revisions, but was a detail that did survive into the end of the B.B. Hiller junior novelization.

https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb2_book.htm

Since no one seems to be insisting that the dialogue scene was in this 'other' cut of the movie, just the Slimer shot, I suspect its popularity is possibly due to the familiar visual of him flying towards the camera at the end of the first film getting blurred with the second film.

Funnily enough, I've always believed that the home video release of GB2 *was* slightly different than the movie I saw on opening day, both in the sequencing of the various montage scenes and also the more audible volume level of Venkman quietly talking to his guests on World of the Psychic in the moments before the lights come up. Yet I don't recall this Slimer shot at all.

My opening-day notes did include a personal disappointment that the film was not dedicated to Gilda Radner. She had just passed away approx. three weeks before the movie came out.

I just expected that back then due to her SNL connection to Murray and Aykroyd, especially after Steve Martin's wonderful tribute to her on the SNL episode that aired the night she passed away. I was unaware at the time but she'd also worked with Ramis (and Reitman) in the pre-SNL National Lampoon show, something discussed on the 1999 Ghostbusters DVD commentary track.

https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral ... omment.htm

[I think they mean the National Lampoon Radio Hour show, not to be confused with the stage show National Lampoon: Lemmings, though there is a certain amount of cross-pollination between the two.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Natio ... Radio_Hour ]

I found out in recent years, though, that at various times she'd actually dated Aykroyd, Murray, and Ramis... and before dating Bill, even dated his older brother Brian Doyle-Murray.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilda_Radner (Scroll down to Personal Life)

So now the lack of a dedication mystifies me even more.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on August 2nd, 2020, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Alex Newborn
RichardLess wrote: July 30th, 2020, 2:54 pm Can you read off those notes you made after seeing GB2 in theatres? I’d be interested in seeing them. How old were you in 1989? Old enough to remember if Slimer came out of the Statue of Liberty(which I’m fairly certain is a myth. But I still hold out hope someone 100% remembers seeing that)
Alex Newborn wrote: July 30th, 2020, 4:08 pm I thought I had them scanned already, but if so they're not in that album.

I was looking for a pic on a different topic just now and spotted this in a different Facebook album. It's not a scan, but I did take a photo back in May 2019 of the very last few notes in the pad.

I described the final shot of the movie as "copter shot, statue, Manhattan" but made ZERO mention of Slimer.

It's not independently verifiable, though, so you'll just have to take my word for that.

I remember the last time I looked at these notes, I wondered how 19yo me knew the names of all the songs on the soundtrack the day the movie opened, but I dimly recall investigating this in recent years and learning that the soundtrack album came out slightly before the movie? I could be wrong, though.

Then again, my neighbor Craig and I attended the 12noon and 2pm showings of the movie on opening day, so it's possible I took the notes after having already seen the credits once. Shrug.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on August 2nd, 2020, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]