Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
d_osborn wrote: April 27th, 2020, 8:12 am
RichardLess wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm No joke, that GB2 documentary is probably my most anticipated upcoming movie. Probably even more so than GBA. There’s just so much I can’t wait to see talked about and picked over. While I prefer GB1, I find the sequel and it’s production much more fascinating.

Could we see it before the year is out? Or is it looking like maybe 2021?
It's looking like 2021.

It's interesting how the productions of GB and GB2 both mirror each other in some ways, but totally diverge in others. What are some of the things you're most excited to learn about?
mrmichaelt wrote: April 26th, 2020, 5:44 pm Yeah, around page 135 or 136. A Henry Mayo concept dated "9/23". I'm was happy to see that concept pop up in the Ghostbusters International comic at the Louvre a few years ago.
I completely forgot about that being in the Visual History! My copy has been lost for a year or so. I should just pick up another.

It's easy to be an armchair director with 20/20 hindsight vision, but yeah... they should have done more with the creepy art museum idea. I didn't know the IDW team used the concept. Very cool! I've been sitting on the IDW comics for a rainy day. I guess a global pandemic counts as "rainy"?

Here's a pretty cool example of the idea from my collection. Notice Justin (who became Janosz) inside the creature. I can't remember off hand, but I think the creature was shredded Vigo canvas soaked in slime, maybe?
What am I excited to learn about? Ok. You asked for it:
Alll the Development stories, Dans Original Seed idea, why Randy Edelman was chosen, why Bo Welch was chosen, Why Ivan went with Michael Chapman(well obviously because he’s an amazing DP, but why the vast visual aesthetic change from 1-2), I’d love Ivan to talk about selecting ILM and his real thoughts on BOSS, deleted concepts, scenes. The script. How did Dan and Harold work on this sequel? We all know about Martha’s Vineyard for GB1, what was the writing process for GB2? Did they write together, or rewrite each other’s stuff? What is specifically Dan and What is specifically Harold? Writing the reshoots. I heard a rumour once that Al Franken wrote some stuff for GB2, is this true? Did Dan and Harold write the reshoots? Why is Harold listed first and Dan under him? Was there an issue for writing credits since the first film has Dan & Harold side by side, and the second film has Dan under Harold. Knowing the WGA the way I do, this means something. It could mean they wrote separately(scripts written together tend to have the names side by side, like GB1), the trailer credits had Dan’s name first, was there a WGA arbitration? If so, how did Dan feel about that?

Ok. Breathe. Ok.

Footage. How much footage was shot? How long was the assembly cut? Is the Slimer Statue of Liberty bit an urban legend or real? Is it true some prints of the film went to theatres with cut material? What’s was the atmosphere like on set? How was Bill compared to GB1? What would Ivan like to change? If given the chance would he ever add material back in for an extended cut? How does he view the reviews upon release compared to what it is now? Did he feel like he failed? Does he feel redeemed now?

Ok breathe.

ILM: Why did Dennis Murren *really* take on GB2? I’ve never bought his original reason of knowing what it’s like to work on a comedy. I think it all had to do with Richard Edlund and a bit of competitive revenge. What did they think of the script? How much money did they have to work with? Did they complete most of the FX for scenes that were cut out? What was the first shot completed? What was the last?
d_osborn wrote: April 27th, 2020, 2:26 pmThe doc doesn't touch on everything in the list, but I'd say MOST of it is covered. :-) My jaw hit the desk a few times while going through the interviews.
That's great to hear, given Ghostbusters II has been the continual poor cousin when it's come to special feature material, it's great it's getting some love.

Thing is, I'm actually more interested in the unseen concepts from Ghostbusters II than a lot of the unseen early concepts from Ghostbusters, possible because a lot of the Ghostbusters stuff was the bizarre space/time concept that doesn't really grab me... But the stuff from Ghostbusters II was grounded in the universe we all recognise.
RichardLess, Glenn Frederick, Sav C and 1 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: April 27th, 2020, 2:32 pm
d_osborn wrote: April 27th, 2020, 2:26 pmThe doc doesn't touch on everything in the list, but I'd say MOST of it is covered. :-) My jaw hit the desk a few times while going through the interviews.
That's great to hear, given Ghostbusters II has been the continual poor cousin when it's come to special feature material, it's great it's getting some love.

Thing is, I'm actually more interested in the unseen concepts from Ghostbusters II than a lot of the unseen early concepts from Ghostbusters, possible because a lot of the Ghostbusters stuff was the bizarre space/time concept that doesn't really grab me... But the stuff from Ghostbusters II was grounded in the universe we all recognise.
Ok. Exactly! You nailed the reason why I’m more interested in GB2. GB2, they knew what the proton packs looked like, what the Ecto 1 looked like, who the characters were, they knew the rules of the universe. For so long I’ve had a hard time putting into words why GB2 fascinates more than GB1 and, just like you said, GB1 development was them building this universe thru various concepts. You nailed it. I mean...can you imagine if the Proton Packs had been what the concept art and script show?? And the Swat Gear?? Thank you god(Ivan reitman) for not going in that direction.
Kingpin, Glenn Frederick, Sav C and 1 others liked this
d_osborn wrote: April 27th, 2020, 8:12 am What are some of the things you're most excited to learn about?
Besides everything? :cool: But no, I am curious about so many things like the evolution of Vigo and at what point they started adding in Janosz, the River, and the Slime Blowers. Unlike the first movie, we have only one draft of GB2 to compare (aside from yourself and others who have another draft) with the final version so there is a gap in production. Stuff like that is what I'm hoping will get addressed.

I get why they cut out the exposition, but I would have loved the bit from the 8/88 draft when Peter barges into Egon's lecture and spouts nonsense to see if the students write it down then he fully details what the pseduoscience behind the physics of the psychomagnetic field.

I'd be surprised if the Buenos didn't ask about the mythical Slimer ending being filmed or not. lol.
d_osborn wrote: April 27th, 2020, 8:12 am I completely forgot about that being in the Visual History! My copy has been lost for a year or so. I should just pick up another.
You could pair it with the Legacy book coming soon on Amazon. Just an idea. ;)
d_osborn wrote: April 27th, 2020, 8:12 am It's easy to be an armchair director with 20/20 hindsight vision, but yeah... they should have done more with the creepy art museum idea. I didn't know the IDW team used the concept. Very cool! I've been sitting on the IDW comics for a rainy day. I guess a global pandemic counts as "rainy"?
That could have been interesting, the notion of them having to go through 'the gauntlet' before they reach Vigo, Jaonsz, and Dana. But all that valuable artwork... :sigh:
d_osborn wrote: April 27th, 2020, 8:12 am Here's a pretty cool example of the idea from my collection. Notice Justin (who became Janosz) inside the creature. I can't remember off hand, but I think the creature was shredded Vigo canvas soaked in slime, maybe?
Neat! This must be from the later drafts or was this just concept art? So perhaps they were toying with Vigo's last ditch attack was to possess Justin/Janosz then that evolved into Ray in the final version.
robbritton, Kingpin liked this
It's about time someone started to give more love to the 2nd movie.

Personally, it's my favorite out of the franchise, and I hate that the 1st movie gets all the love and attention.

People can argue with me all day long about how it isn't a strong sequel, and that it is a lousy film. I still won't listen, just because it's my favorite.

Can't wait to see where this goes. It would be cool to see the effects put in.

And what is this Ghostbusters 2 documentary that has been spoken of?! Havent heard of that. That will be absolutely amazing to see! Again, because the 2nd film gets looked over, all, the ,time!

James
DeLoreanDMC81 wrote: April 27th, 2020, 6:22 pm And what is this Ghostbusters 2 documentary that has been spoken of?! Havent heard of that. That will be absolutely amazing to see! Again, because the 2nd film gets looked over, all, the ,time!
Originally, that Cleanin' Up The Town documentary was going to be both movies but they decided to split it into two releases. The 1st release, same title, covers the first movie. The 2nd release, titled Too Hot To Handle, covers the second movie.
d_osborn wrote: April 27th, 2020, 2:26 pm Are you me from another dimension? The writing credits thing is interesting. I never noticed that about the trailer credits!

I think you'll really enjoy it. The doc doesn't touch on everything in the list, but I'd say MOST of it is covered. :-) My jaw hit the desk a few times while going through the interviews.
Oh hey. Question for you. Is the documentary title going to have to change now that there is some other movie or TV series in development with the title “Too Hot To Handle”? Granted it has nothing to do with GB but I saw something about it the other week and thought “Why is a major trade paper writing about a fan made GB2 documentary?” And it turned out to be something completely unrelated. Is the title already registered? Or does it not matter due to do subtitle?
mrmichaelt wrote: April 27th, 2020, 5:08 pm ...like the evolution of Vigo and at what point they started adding in Janosz, the River, and the Slime Blowers. Unlike the first movie, we have only one draft of GB2 to compare (aside from yourself and others who have another draft) with the final version so there is a gap in production. Stuff like that is what I'm hoping will get addressed.

I get why they cut out the exposition, but I would have loved the bit from the 8/88 draft when Peter barges into Egon's lecture and spouts nonsense to see if the students write it down then he fully details what the pseduoscience behind the physics of the psychomagnetic field.
The evolution of Vigo has been a huge interest of mine for ages. Both in research and collecting. I have the first concept painting (Russian magician) generated by ILM, the approved 8x10 print of the image used in the final painting prop, even a swatch of paint from the background! There's a lot of REALLY cool Vigo content that will be in the doc that I'm excited about. Wilhelm gets a lot of love from his ILM buddies, as well.

I love that early Egon scene, as well. There was something cool about Venkman "getting the band back together" instead of Dana. I get why it was written out, but the bad business blood between Venkman and Stantz was great. IDW could put together a REALLY cool comic adaptation using a combination of early scripts. Same for GB1! Hell, even GB3! *rimshot
RichardLess wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:04 am Is the documentary title going to have to change now that there is some other movie or TV series in development with the title “Too Hot To Handle”? Granted it has nothing to do with GB but I saw something about it the other week and thought “Why is a major trade paper writing about a fan made GB2 documentary?” And it turned out to be something completely unrelated. Is the title already registered? Or does it not matter due to do subtitle?
As far as I know, no issues at all. It's a hook-up reality show on Netflix.

Cleanin' got some pretty awesome press in major trade pubs, so I wouldn't be shocked if Too Hot gets similar treatment when we get closer to release. :love:
Kingpin, mrmichaelt liked this
d_osborn wrote: April 28th, 2020, 11:21 am
mrmichaelt wrote: April 27th, 2020, 5:08 pm ...like the evolution of Vigo and at what point they started adding in Janosz, the River, and the Slime Blowers. Unlike the first movie, we have only one draft of GB2 to compare (aside from yourself and others who have another draft) with the final version so there is a gap in production. Stuff like that is what I'm hoping will get addressed.

The evolution of Vigo has been a huge interest of mine for ages. Both in research and collecting. I have the first concept painting (Russian magician) generated by ILM, the approved 8x10 print of the image used in the final painting prop, even a swatch of paint from the background! There's a lot of REALLY cool Vigo content that will be in the doc that I'm excited about. Wilhelm gets a lot of love from his ILM buddies, as well.

I love that early Egon scene, as well. There was something cool about Venkman "getting the band back together" instead of Dana. I get why it was written out, but the bad business blood between Venkman and Stantz was great. IDW could put together a REALLY cool comic adaptation using a combination of early scripts. Same for GB1! Hell, even GB3! *rimshot
RichardLess wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:04 am Is the documentary title going to have to change now that there is some other movie or TV series in development with the title “Too Hot To Handle”? Granted it has nothing to do with GB but I saw something about it the other week and thought “Why is a major trade paper writing about a fan made GB2 documentary?” And it turned out to be something completely unrelated. Is the title already registered? Or does it not matter due to do subtitle?
As far as I know, no issues at all. It's a hook-up reality show on Netflix.

Cleanin' got some pretty awesome press in major trade pubs, so I wouldn't be shocked if Too Hot gets similar treatment when we get closer to release. :love:
So being bored, and seeing that concept sketch of Vigo, I just reread the August 1988 draft of GB2, a draft that I wasn’t really keen on before but rereading it just now?? I gotta say. It *reads* much better than the shooting script.

It just clicked for me. Now, somethings don’t work, like the opening at Ellis Island and then the 1956 opening. And the Lane character is a bit dull. But the script is funny.

The New Yorkers forcefully being nice to each other?? The upper class couple where the husband is loading his gun while his wife rags on him. Hilarious. I can see it.

The climax is MUCH MORE Large scale. The Jason villain I found creepier and mysterious. I loved Venkmans active, rather than passive, role in getting the company up and running again.

Weird. I didn’t like this draft before but...I really dug it just now. The end sounds really cool. The showdown with the Statue? The packs plugged into the electrical grid? The bit at Ellis island where they try to trick Jason/Vigo.

I love the visual of Bill Murray chasing after the buggy. Or him running after Jason and getting his socks literally blown off.

Winston is sidelined way too much. But the ghosts of car accidents? The Hindenburg? The Subway passenger ghosts? Man. Those are all great bits.

This script reads as funnier than the shooting script. Much funnier. Frankly I think they made a mistake not using the New Yorkers being forcefully nice to each other. That could’ve been hilarious. The Baseball game bit is great.

Plus since the final film is much better than the shooting script I have to imagine this version would work similarly. A few adjustments here and there and this had the potential to be a better version of GB2. I miss Dana a bit tho.
d_osborn wrote: April 28th, 2020, 11:21 am The evolution of Vigo has been a huge interest of mine for ages. Both in research and collecting. I have the first concept painting (Russian magician) generated by ILM, the approved 8x10 print of the image used in the final painting prop, even a swatch of paint from the background! There's a lot of REALLY cool Vigo content that will be in the doc that I'm excited about. Wilhelm gets a lot of love from his ILM buddies, as well.
Indeed, when he was a bit more "Rasputin" and then the creeptastic ex in the '88 draft. lol. Very cool collectibles you got there!
d_osborn wrote: April 28th, 2020, 11:21 amIDW could put together a REALLY cool comic adaptation using a combination of early scripts. Same for GB1! Hell, even GB3! *rimshot
Yeah, it was quite amusing they coincidentally hit on some elements of Hellbent here and there like at the end of Ghostbusters International. I recall Tristan Jones tries numerous times pitching a Hellbent adaptation but it never happened. And they could easily adapt elements of the early GB1 and GB2 scripts for should they continue to do mini-series like the current one Year One where they look back on their backstories and stories set during GB1 while they interviewed right after defeated Gozer. It feels like my Mount Everest would be getting to read Ghost Smashers, The Seed, and Hellbent drafts.
d_osborn wrote: April 28th, 2020, 11:21 am As far as I know, no issues at all. It's a hook-up reality show on Netflix.
Plus, Ghostbusters II will be in the full title so there shouldn't be much legal issues.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 27th, 2020, 6:59 pm
DeLoreanDMC81 wrote: April 27th, 2020, 6:22 pm And what is this Ghostbusters 2 documentary that has been spoken of?! Havent heard of that. That will be absolutely amazing to see! Again, because the 2nd film gets looked over, all, the ,time!
Originally, that Cleanin' Up The Town documentary was going to be both movies but they decided to split it into two releases. The 1st release, same title, covers the first movie. The 2nd release, titled Too Hot To Handle, covers the second movie.

This is absolutely awesome news to me! I never saw the Cleanin Up the Town documentary, but here it's pretty darn good. So I am beyond excited for this 2nd part!!!

Thanks for letting me know.

James
mrmichaelt liked this
Lovin' the work you're doing, Bobson! Looks like you've got a definitive Extended Edition that can't be beat! But I got a logo upgrade for something with more legitimate typeface.

It’s interesting to see the deleted stuff from both movies. Frankly NONE of the deleted scenes from GB1 are worth putting back in and some could’ve outright ruined the movie(I’m looking at you BUM sequence). The Fort Determing stuff is cool but it would’ve messed with the pacing.
me doing a extended edition of GB1 with all the deleted scenes:
Long time no news!

I've since updated this edit to improve on the editing and VFX, as someone had worked on remaking the proton pack VFX in the Louis/Slimer scene, using my edit of the scene as a base

I've inserted that into my edit since, and you can easily find it online by searching for the title of the edit.

But also, since the new Ghostbusters boxset includes "19 Deleted Scenes – a collection of never-before-seen deleted scenes", I plan to revist this edit in the future, hoping that it includes a lot of the pre-reshoot material (I'm praying for Eugene Levy).

I did also say that I would never do an extended cut of GB1, but since they are releasing a full 114 minute preview cut, over an hour of dailies, and the previously released deleted scenes, I'll look into making a longer cut of the film when this releases.
Last edited by Kingpin on December 27th, 2021, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
Alex Newborn liked this
Here's my list of GB2 deleted scenes, based on the list posted on reddit. The ones with short description are found on the new ultimate edition:

GHOSTBUSTERS II DELETED SCENES

Ecto-1 breaks down after birthday party
World of the Psychic – An alternate take of Peter’s show. Three ladies. One of them plays the accordion. Hairless cat is featured in a different way.
Fraud – Peter talking to his producer. The Mayor walks by and Peter calls out to him.
Ray's Occult books extended
This is Hard for Me – Peter and Dana outside Dana’s apartment talking about their past. Ray and Egon come out and ask Dana about the stroller.
It was Right Here – The Ghostbusters in the middle of the street measuring where the stroller rolled.
Dana’s Curse – In the street still. Dana asking why these things happen to her.
We Should Get a Deeper Reading – Digging the hole in the street.
He’s Asleep – Janosz making noise in the hallway and Dana telling him Oscar’s asleep.
El Gato, The Cat – Dana talks to Peter in the courtroom before the trial.
Ladies and Gentleman of the Audience – Louis gives his opening statement.
Wow – Ray witnessing the Scolari brothers attack.
Taking down the old sign
Ghost jogger's lap time
Orrefor's crystal bust extended
Ecto-1A leaving firehouse at night (extended montage?)
Louis sets a trap for Slimer
Louis’ Secret – Louis hunting Slimer in the firehouse. Has a nice scene with Janine.
Ghostbusters gift boutique, working on the Slime blower
Egon and Ray study the slime
Routine spook test, entering the museum
Leaving the museum, possessed Ray tries to crash Ecto-1A
Sewer Invitation – Peter answers his apartment door and the other three invite him to go to the sewer. Dana appears and Peter declines.
Subway Frog Ghost
He Had Me By the Throat – The Ghostbusters trying to explain things to The Mayor and Hardemeyer.
We’re Stuck in Here – The Ghostbusters in a mental hospital talking to one of the patients.
You’re My Cousin – Louis begging his cousin Sherman (Eugene Levy) to help get the guys out of the hospital.
Ghostbusters getting ready at Parkview parking lot, Sherman Tully part 2
They’re Gonna Need Me – Louis looking for Janine in the firehouse. She slides down the pole and tells Louis the phones have been going nuts.
Peter’s Concern – Outside the museum Peter and Ray talk to The Mayor and Hardemeyer.
We’re Going Nowhere – Ray talks to the fire chief.
We’ll Handle Everything From Here – More Ray talking to the fire chief.
Jack Buys It – The Mayor talks about getting into the museum. Hardemeyer goes up to the wall of slime and gets sucked in.
Can You Get Into That Museum – Alternate take of Jack Buys It.
Kumbaya – The Ghostbusters try to get the crowd to sing.
What Are You Doing Here? – Louis talking to Slimer (not present because the scene isn’t finished) after getting off the bus.
Good Evening New York – Talking to the crowd from the walking statue.
Driving Miss Liberty – The Ghostbusters in the statue’s crown arguing over what route to take.
Ghostbusters with Vigo – Random shots from inside the museum during the finale. Not really a complete scene.
Getting celebrated outside the museum
Liberty Island ceremony
Yes absolutely.

I'm certain that most of the stuff is able to be used.

Alt. World of the Psychic, This is Hard For Me, Something Brewing, Deeper Reading, Ladies and Gentlemen, Loud, Had Me By the Throat, We’re Stuck in Here, Louis' Cousin, They're Gonna Need Me and Can You Get Into That Museum will certainly all be used. The rest are either too short or there isn't enough to make them work, but I will try.

I'm thinking about called an updated version; GHOSTBUSTERS II: DEATH IS BUT A DOOR. Maybe too dramatic but it's fun.
NSGhostbusters liked this
I've gotta say, I really don't care for the original story they wanted where Louis and his cousin get the ghostbusters out of Park View and where Jack ends up getting sucked into the slime. Mainly because it does a shot for shot redo of the scene in the first movie where The Ghostbusters, Walter Peck, and the Mayor have their debate. We didn't need that. Plus the cumpenence for Jack is too similar to Walter Peck's.
Bobson Dugnutt wrote: March 21st, 2022, 8:37 pm Yes absolutely.

I'm certain that most of the stuff is able to be used.

Alt. World of the Psychic, This is Hard For Me, Something Brewing, Deeper Reading, Ladies and Gentlemen, Loud, Had Me By the Throat, We’re Stuck in Here, Louis' Cousin, They're Gonna Need Me and Can You Get Into That Museum will certainly all be used. The rest are either too short or there isn't enough to make them work, but I will try.

I'm thinking about called an updated version; GHOSTBUSTERS II: DEATH IS BUT A DOOR. Maybe too dramatic but it's fun.
I'd love to see you work your magic on this movie, once again. :)
I think the only extended cut I would watch is if the lost scene where Possessed Ray crash Ecto 1 was found. Except for that I am not interested. The alternate scene where Jack gets trapped in slime is way too similar to the classic scene with Walter Peck, the Ghostbusters, and the mayor from Ghostbusters 1. Heck him getting trapped in slime is too similar to Peck getting covered in marshmallow in Ghostbusters 1. It's better to be different from the first movie is what I am saying.

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]