Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By ghoulishfright
Just a random thought today: whatever happened to Ray's Occult Books shop after the boys went back into business? Did Ray close shop, or did he get someone else to run it? ...Does the GB2 novelization mention anything else about it? (I still need to read that.) ...I wonder if the shop would still be around today. Would they sell any copies of Tobin's Spirit Guide or the Necronomicon?... :blush:
By philmorgan81
Well in the ongoing IDW comic book which serves as a sequel to the films and the 2009 video game, Ray hired someone to run the Book Store while he goes on calls. He hired Kylie Griffin, a character that was popular in the Extreme Ghostbusters tv series to watch the shop. While on calls Ray would sometimes call Kylie and have her do research on an entity they were facing. Rays Occult actually shows up quite a bit in the comics run. So Ray still manages the book store as well as being a Ghostbuster. :):):)
By ghoulishfright
Ah, I think I have seen images of Kylie in the shop, actually, although I've only read a handful of IDW's other GB comics. Nothing against them, but I don't really view that as canon. I'm more curious what happened to the shop immediately after the Scoleri Brothers bust and their big comeback. And even before GB2, I'm sure Ray must've had some help with running the place (especially considering the insane business hours). It would've been interesting to meet that other character(s), even if they were just a goofy university student working part time or something, totally unimpressed with some washed-up has-been Ghostbuster...
By mrmichaelt
Hmm, not that I recall. But we don't have a lot of the drafts for GB2 either. But one would rationalize that would be a good idea to keep it open as a support arm to the Ghostbusters, a source of research for cases. And the August 1988 draft did elaborate a little that Ray's Occult was how Ray rebuilt his life after the fines and lawsuits levied on them after GB1 so I don't think Ray would shutter it. Yeah, I think like in the IDW canon, he hired a small staff to help run the store after Ghostbusters was revived. I was always curious if that Thanksgiving level was finished and used in The Video Game, if they were planning to include any employees in the part when the player has to detour through Ray's Occult. But I suppose you could take that was the closest thing to proof the store was still in business as of 1991.
By mrmichaelt
Hairy Biker wrote:This brings up two other questions:

What happened to World of the Physics?
Replaced The World of the Psychic? :P

Kidding aside, eh, I could see the show getting cancelled even if Peter didn't quit.
Hairy Biker wrote:This brings up two other questions:
What happened to the research department Egon ran?
Egon didn't run the Institute for Advanced Theoretical Research, he was just an employee and one of his known projects was the study of human emotional states. So it probably continued without him.

But trivia wise, in the ATC canon the IATR was around in the late 90s/early 00s, in the author bios for the inside jacket of Ghosts From Our Past, Abby won the "Institute for Advanced Theoretical Research Prize for Students" twice. Probably between 1996 and the early 2000s then.
By Winston1986
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this. But in the 2009 Video Game, there is a message on the answering machine from a woman looking for Ray's Occult. So it apparently was still around at that time when the game takes place. And that was 2 years after the events of the 2nd movie.
By mrmichaelt
Winston1986 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 7:27 pm I'm surprised nobody mentioned this. But in the 2009 Video Game, there is a message on the answering machine from a woman looking for Ray's Occult. So it apparently was still around at that time when the game takes place. And that was 2 years after the events of the 2nd movie.
Yep, after the Museum of (Super)Natural History Level, the ninth message left on the Ghostbusters' answering machine is from a female customer of Ray's Occult. She called the Ghostbusters because the phone number for Ray's Occult Books is out of service and asks about some party favors she had on order on behalf of the Westchester Coven (possibly a nod to the GB2 line). The party is for a visitor from the "Deep South."
By RichardLess
philmorgan81 wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 11:18 am Well in the ongoing IDW comic book which serves as a sequel to the films and the 2009 video game, Ray hired someone to run the Book Store while he goes on calls. He hired Kylie Griffin, a character that was popular in the Extreme Ghostbusters tv series to watch the shop. While on calls Ray would sometimes call Kylie and have her do research on an entity they were facing. Rays Occult actually shows up quite a bit in the comics run. So Ray still manages the book store as well as being a Ghostbuster. :):):)
As someone who digs the EGB characters...that’s pretty cool.

What I wouldn’t give for a continuation of that show. Or another cartoon that’s in continuity with RGB & EGB. Like how DC had the DCAU all those years.
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]