Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Since I'm going to see Afterlife on Thursday I want to rewatch the first two before going in. I have several different versions of both films and from my understanding some later releases aren't always better than the ones before. Anyone have an idea which is the best of the bunch? I have several DVD and Bluray versions.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I believe all releases contain exactly the same sequences of scenes.

As for quality and color grading I think the last 2014/2019 1080/4K release has the closest color to the gritty flat 1984 version while making it look modern. Also the exposure blowouts on the rooftop and the color bleeding on the trapping Slimer scenes were fixed from the 2005 release. GB2 also looks great in that last release and that is the only 1080/4K version of GB2 as far as I know. I wouldn’t bother with the ‘99 DVD release. For some die hards that release has the most “authentic” gritty brown color grading but DVD resolution just won’t cut it nowadays.

But more importantly than which release I would watch both movies and then also try to watch the shortest “movie” version of GBTVG you can find. It likely won’t be referenced but who knows, there may be some small easter eggs in the new movie somewhere.

https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/ ... ompare.htm

Last edited by One time on November 15th, 2021, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VenomSymbiote liked this
One time wrote: November 15th, 2021, 9:31 pm Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I believe all releases contain exactly the same sequences of scenes.

As for quality and color grading I think the last 2014/2019 1080/4K release has the closest color to the gritty flat 1984 version while making it look modern. Also the exposure blowouts on the rooftop and the color bleeding on the trapping Slimer scenes were fixed from the 2005 release. GB2 also looks great in that last release and that is the only 1080/4K version of GB2 as far as I know. I wouldn’t bother with the ‘99 DVD release. For some die hards that release has the most “authentic” gritty brown color grading but DVD resolution just won’t cut it nowadays.

But more importantly than which release I would watch both movies and then also try to watch the shortest “movie” version of GBTVG you can find. It likely won’t be referenced but who knows, there may be some small easter eggs in the new movie somewhere.
Thanks! So the 4k releases are the best then. My main concern was having heard things like colors being washed out or flat and bleeding, but I had forgotten what exactly it was that I had read was different and in which version. After the movies I do intend to play through the 2009 game too. I do hope it gets some kind of reference. Thanks for the reply!
One time liked this
VenomSymbiote wrote: November 15th, 2021, 9:38 pm
One time wrote: November 15th, 2021, 9:31 pm Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I believe all releases contain exactly the same sequences of scenes.

Thanks! So the 4k releases are the best then. My main concern was having heard things like colors being washed out or flat and bleeding, but I had forgotten what exactly it was that I had read was different and in which version. After the movies I do intend to play through the 2009 game too. I do hope it gets some kind of reference. Thanks for the reply!
Here are the precise differences. I was editing my post with these links when you replied:

VenomSymbiote liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]