Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
I've recently come across a recording of Ghostbusters from its airing on ABC on January 29, 1989, complete with all of the commercials (the only thing missing is the end credits). I was thinking about streaming the entire broadcast with commercials on January 29, 2009 - 20 years to the date of the broadcast. I might also do it again on June 16, 2009, the 25th anniversary of the movie's premiere. I was wondering what any of you think of this idea.

Would anyone be interested in seeing the movie this way? It would include the commercials and bumpers and opening promo (which is one not currently on the site). It features all known alternate footage, and even some newly discovered alternate footage. Yes, you heard that right, I found a NEW piece of alternate footage.

I haven't watched the movie completely from start to finish yet, but I scanned through it and stopped at all of the known alternate footage spots, and a few spots where I thought they might do a censor or edit, and found something that surprised me. After the guys are nearly blown off the top of the building, Peter rallies the troops with the whole "got your stick" bit. In this ABC airing he said "Ten Hut" instead of "Make 'Em Hard" (it does NOT appear to be an overdub as his lips appear to go with the new words). I have never seen that bit of alternate footage used in any of the commercial re-airings from within the past 10 years or so. For all I know, it may have never been used again. Even more interesting is that "Your Mother!" outside of the firehouse explosion was inexplicably silenced, and the "prehistoric bitch" line was left intact, which is what I thought they would have censored! It's possible that there might be more new alternate footage, but I can't confirm anything else until I watch the whole movie from beginning to end, and I won't have time to do that until the beginning of January at the latest.

As you probably could have guessed, the movie is edited, time-compressed (sped-up), panned & scanned, has commercials, and is from a bad overly bright film print. I will be the first one to admit that that is NOT the ideal way of viewing the movie. I know that the film is already up on Hulu, and that all of us already have the film on DVD and can watch it whenever we want. This certainly wouldn't take away from Sony's DVD sales or even the Hulu views. However, the major positive is that you'll be able to view the movie in a way that it hasn't been seen in almost 20 years. For everyone in their late 20s and older, this is a way to relive a communal/shared experience, since we've all seen it on ABC at some point.

I may even try to put together some sort of "screening party", though I have no clue what that would entail in the virtual world, much less how to set one up.

The plan would be to record the movie into separate files, in a playlist consisting of Movie, Commercials, Movie, Commercials, etc. I think that would be the best way to do it. Also, the promo and newly discovered alternate footage would be added to the site proper in due time, so you won't need to view the complete movie with commercials in order to see it, but this is more for the experience than for anything else. It certainly is not meant to replace high-quality DVD viewing, especially since I'll have to use a lot of compression to keep 2 hours of footage manageable in file size.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I want to try to make this into some sort of "event", which is why I'm leaking the plans about three months early and getting some feedback now. Thanks.
*I'm definately interested :cool: ...However I'm in the boat that you should keep the commercials intact with the actual presentation...Takes you back to that era much more effectively ;-)...

*And I'm more than interested in the new alternate takes!! :cool: ...

*Cheers.
Yea. It'd be a huge throw back to see the old commercials from the late 80's while watching GB. It'll give you that 80's vibe. Very retro, very awesome idea. I say go for it.
I would love to see this. It's actually the only way I was able to see it for years. Luckily they played it all the time on Friday nights back then. I remember how awesome it was if I didn't know it was going to be on and there it was. When I saw it on tape for the 1st time it was like watching a whole different movie.
First, Rockstar232007, thank you for the Ghostbusters release date correction. I don't know what I was thinking. Actually, I do. I was thinking Ghostbusters II! I can't believe that film will be 20 years old next year. It seems like just yesterday I went with my mom and sister to see it in the theater, and then snuck in afterwards to see most of Star Trek 5.

Second, thank you everyone for all of your positive feedback. Although I gave the project some considerable thought - as you can tell from my book-length post - I was kinda on the fence about whether to do it or not. All of your positive feedback knocked me off the fence onto the other side, so I will definitely give it a go... and find some bandages because that fall cracked my shell :-)

AJ, sadly there are no GB2 commercials. I was rather surprised to find none because I thought that there surely would have been a teaser spot at the least.

Ectofiend, I'll see what I can do about making one large file with the movie and commercials together. If possible, I might try to present it both ways, so viewers will get their choice of one continuous file or multiple files played sequentially. Either way, the commercials (and bumpers) are going up and will be shown interrupting the movie as they did originally on TV :-)
jettajeffro wrote:When I saw it on tape for the 1st time it was like watching a whole different movie.
That was the same sentiment I had upon my first home video viewing as well... and again when I saw it around 1993/1994 when they were showing a different Pan & Scan cut on TV (where the Weaver Hall exterior shot was focused on the people going in and out of the building instead of on the sign)... and yet again when I first saw it in it's original widescreen aspect ratio on the Criterion laserdisc around 1996/1997.
It was an amazing experience, watching my fave movie with that old tv ads, took me back to the 80s... my fave decade.
Thanks to Spook Central... it was a great time (no matter the streamming wasn`t the best).
I'd like to thank everyone who participated in tonight's event and made it a big success. We topped out at 77 viewers at 8:28 PM EST, with the lowest being 53 viewers at the very beginning, and the second lowest point being 55 viewers at 9:02 PM EST (the halfway point). We averaged 69 people in the chat room, but it could have been more or less at any given time.

Many apologies to everyone for the crappy first hour. This was my first time doing a live online broadcast, and if I ever do another one, I'll know what NOT to do.

In the next day or two I hope to put up a transcript of tonight's chat session, along with a few screen captures of the event. My transcript is missing a few segments, so I'm waiting for AJ to send me the complete chat log. I might put up the entire video for on demand viewing, but I'm a little hesitant to do so as I don't want to anger Sony. So we'll see...

AJ - I want to thank you again, a millions times over, for helping me out with this event. It wouldn't have been quite so much fun if we didn't have your awesome chat room.
Thanks again to both of you. It was fun getting to watch Ghostbusters with alot of others on here. Hopefully we can do it agian in the future with GB2 or something.
AJ Quick wrote:There were 114 people in the chatroom tonight at different times.
Thanks for the correction. I've updated what I wrote on my site to state that.

I'd also like to let everyone know that multimedia and the chat transcript have been posted.

As for doing it again, I'd love to...if only to prove that I've learned from the mistakes of this one and CAN do a better job!

I discussed that in this thread, and in my blog posts.
Wish I had been home to see that. Unfortunately I had a night class. Hope you get to do this in either June or in the coming months.

I feel certain it's a either a straight conversion[…]

Wait. They wouldn't be selling Afterlife to Netfli[…]

need help finding a piece

The seller has relisted it and now says that there[…]

I'm working on my first pack right now, which will[…]