Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
#4888353
The comics have had plenty of crossovers so how would you bring the 2 film franchises together on the big screen?

For me I'd have ATC2 be the classic battle with Gozer featuring the new crew but a post credit sequence to reveal Gozer wasn't the only thing to enter the dimension during the crossrip. We see three familiar faces in grey jumpsuits.

ATC3 As old and new Busters try to figure out how to fix things the variations between dimensions become clear. In their discussions the old team discovers Vigo has not surface. They can destroy the painting before he arrives. This leads to the midfilm ghost battle we all know and love. They successfully destroy the painting and Vigo in the process but fail to destroy the demon that resides in Vigo. That demon becomes the big villain of the film. So up to the midfilm battle is a call back to GB2 leaving the next hour to be an original story mixing the new and old Ghostbusters. At the climax the old busters sacrifice themselves as they are taken away with the demon to HELL! Give us the chance at the GB3 we wanted and our old busters back but keeping ATC alive.

So who were those look-a-likes in the first film that seemed like cameo appearances? Those were the Ghostbusters. But they had different names? One of the minor changes in history. Winston still worked with the dead. Venkman was on TV. Janine was a receptionist. Ray still provided thankless grueling work. And Egon was so successful in his scholastic achievements his bust was on display at Columbia. Even Dana found herself drawn to the Ghostbusters. In GB1 and GB2 we could see the effect of how paranormal activity was attracted to people and so it is in the ATC world.
#4888412
Government Conspiracy.

The original films had occurred. Somewhere within the 30 years that had passed the government had gotten involved (after all they were carrying nuclear devices around with them and the country had entered into an age of terrorism after 9-11) At some point they brainwashed/reprogrammed the original ghostbusters in an attempt to "Put the cat in the bag" with some form of MIB involvement (after all "The cat has been out of the bag before...and yet... People lose interest and put it back in...") Peter Venkman then would become a debunker (humorous to me as he was quite the fraud himself at several occasions) and even makes the "He wasn't really Ghostbuster material" line a bit more snicker worthy . Would possibly explain Aykroyd subconsciously knowing the class status of the entities. The government would perhaps keep Egon on board and perhaps there was a bit more of a connection that would build between him and Dana and she would end up as sort of an assistant/apprentice/lover? (He did quite enjoy the kiss she gave him in GB2) Might also explain the government having which appears to be some form of the Proton tech available when they rolled in at the end of ATC...

Dunno.... this is kinda where my mind took me while/after watching ATC for the first time...
#4888415
For starters I wouldn't but if I had to I'd have them retconned as a privately funded "Ghost Smashers" type group who compete with the GB's and when they realize that their equipment and busting methods cause more mayhem they end up having to work along side the OGB's to stop the threat they caused much like the ghost smasher's storyline in the comics. OR Holtzmann is Egon's protege and the rest aren't involved.
#4888449
Yeah, I would like such a merge better as it respects both teams. The problem with Darkspectre use of the old IDW mechanic with the Ghost Smashers is that it's been done and makes the GBettes look incompetent.

For me a parallel universe or a powerfull mindbending godcreature that temporarely made the world forget about the previous GB's (for REASONS) would work best.
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 10th, 2017, 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
#4888452
zeta otaku wrote:That had such potential too, but completely disrespected the 80s TMNT
You could tell it was made by people who hated the 80s show. Period. But it made me hate the 2003 turtles, who just came off like scolding parents. And that faux edgy "What the shell" thing, ugggggh, lol.

The only part that was remotely intriguing to me was the 80s turtles being surprised the 2003 turtles called Splinter father. That would have been interesting to explore further.
the crossover the recent show did was great, but the original team in 3d was mildly terrifying to look at. Lol
I still need to see that. Oh well, I think the new turtles on that show look a bit terrifying too, lol. But it's done very well so I guess kids get over it fast!
#4888475
Alphagaia wrote:Yeah, I would like such a merge better as it respects both teams. The problem with Darkspectre use of the old IDW mechanic with the Ghost Smashers is that it's been done and makes the GBettes look incompetent.

For me a parallel universe or a powerfull mindbending godcreature that temporarely made the world forget about the previous GB's (for REASONS) would work best.

That was my point, Alpha. Because outside of Holtzmann, they are incompetent. Honestly Holtzmann should be retconned as Kylie's old roommate or a former student and leave the others behind.
#4888485
JurorNo.2 wrote:
zeta otaku wrote:That had such potential too, but completely disrespected the 80s TMNT
You could tell it was made by people who hated the 80s show. Period. But it made me hate the 2003 turtles, who just came off like scolding parents. And that faux edgy "What the shell" thing, ugggggh, lol.

The only part that was remotely intriguing to me was the 80s turtles being surprised the 2003 turtles called Splinter father. That would have been interesting to explore further.
the crossover the recent show did was great, but the original team in 3d was mildly terrifying to look at. Lol
I still need to see that. Oh well, I think the new turtles on that show look a bit terrifying too, lol. But it's done very well so I guess kids get over it fast!
For the first thing... yeah, I wouldn't go THAT far, I think it might have been a 4Kids thing to show how much better THEIR Turtles were... That's really the one thing I hated about that crossover. I did like the 2003 show's first 5 seasons though (before the Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers seasons... ugh).

The new show though? Pure love... and it's OUT there with some of the designs. I forget which season it is, but it homages a TON of horror properties (Jason, Nightmare on Elms Street, The Thing)... it's a really fun series which doesn't take itself too seriously, but isn't pure camp. It also brought in a ton of Turtle alumni from all over the place (two of the voices from the 90s live action movies, the entire surviving cast for the cross over where 80s Raph and '16 Donatello have an awkward conversation).
JurorNo.2 liked this
#4888486
zeta otaku wrote: For the first thing... yeah, I wouldn't go THAT far, I think it might have been a 4Kids thing to show how much better THEIR Turtles were...
Good point!
the entire surviving cast for the cross over where 80s Raph and '16 Donatello have an awkward conversation).
Lol, I really need to see this!
#4888492
spookyvizionz wrote:Government Conspiracy.

The original films had occurred. Somewhere within the 30 years that had passed the government had gotten involved (after all they were carrying nuclear devices around with them and the country had entered into an age of terrorism after 9-11) At some point they brainwashed/reprogrammed the original ghostbusters in an attempt to "Put the cat in the bag" with some form of MIB involvement (after all "The cat has been out of the bag before...and yet... People lose interest and put it back in...") Peter Venkman then would become a debunker (humorous to me as he was quite the fraud himself at several occasions) and even makes the "He wasn't really Ghostbuster material" line a bit more snicker worthy . Would possibly explain Aykroyd subconsciously knowing the class status of the entities. The government would perhaps keep Egon on board and perhaps there was a bit more of a connection that would build between him and Dana and she would end up as sort of an assistant/apprentice/lover? (He did quite enjoy the kiss she gave him in GB2) Might also explain the government having which appears to be some form of the Proton tech available when they rolled in at the end of ATC...

Dunno.... this is kinda where my mind took me while/after watching ATC for the first time...
In all honesty I thought that's where they were going when they were in the mayor's office and they said that they've "dealt with this kind of thing before." Then Dan's cameo knowing what a class 5 full roaming vapor was. Then at the end I realized that the movie was just kind of all over the place and it wasn't meant to connect. Very confusing.

I do like the idea of a ghost god (ghost master? Samhien?) practically erasing the existence of the original GBs.
#4888524
I wonder how the IDW crossover will affect future Ghostbusters instalments.

Reitman declared that Ghost Corps want to bring it all back to a single universe and in the comic the Gbettes will encounter the Prime Time Ghostbusters from 1984, not their actual counteparts.

So, let's play What If...

- will the 84 Ghostbusters travel only in time to discover their fate in 2016?

- will they land in the future of a parallel universe?

- if IDW goes with the parallel universe route, what can merge two universes to bring it all back to a single one and how?
#4888542
I'm seeing it as them sliding into 2016 of an alternate reality, not moving ahead in their own. While the multiverse has been established, there's nothing currently fixing it in place as to what year each dimension is experiencing (after all, the IDW comic is set... what? Somewhere around 1994 now? Meanwhile, the Real Ghostbusters were from 1987 in their timeline.) I also imagine it'll be like Get Real, the universes stay separate, there's just something bridging the two (something that's hinted at in the solicits).
#4888553
There is no official year in the IDW verse as Erik Burnham stresses. Unofficially, there is more than enough information and hints that I extrapolated a coherent timeline -- Ghostbusters International ended in late May around May 25/26, 1998 but the Haunted America cases started taking place after them starting with #7 and #11's was set in on December 1. And it seems Annual 2017 will catch up to around fall based on a certain hotel appearing.

The PR indicated the two universes merge into one but that both risk destruction (and maybe the whole multiverse) if things aren't put back to the way they were in time. I would guess the students do something stupid with the Interspatial Teleportation Unit in the basement and instead of traveling from one dimension to another, they are merged. But hey, 6 issues to figure out the solution and execute it.

So it will be a 'merged present' but consider history wasn't unfolding in the GB prime and IDW universe like ours anyway. In the prime universe, two guys made Proton Packs with 1984 parts. Plus, in the comic, there's all sorts of stuff that didn't exist in our 90s like certain buildings, memory cards, etc. while other things were preserved like the look of cellphones.
#4888579
Peter33vr wrote:So, if another live action will happen, it can easily ignore the Reboot universe and viceversa?

Yeah as far as future live action films go I think there is a little Retcon going on at Ghost Corpse. According to Ivan Reitman there are many Ghostbusters projects happening they are just in varying stages of development. Ghostbusters 2016 was a great way of testing the waters to get things spinning. Now with this comic it will attempt to tie the worlds together. I think Ivan is having some regrets about letting the studio go with a remake rather than a soft reboot. It is a shame that there are some that won't even give this comic a chance because it has the ATC team in it. Believe me I can kind of understand, I am not fond of the ATC characters but I just can't say no to a story arc that has the Characters I know and love in it. I am just too curious of how this is going to turn out. :)

I know of a few of the projects supposedly in development. Not sure if these have changed. There is the animated series Ecto Force and the Animated Feature Film. If there are even more projects on the horizon that's even better. :):):)
#4888582
Peter33vr wrote:Reitman said, speaking of motion pictures, that there is an animated movie and another live action one and both are going really well.

Well then I'd say we have a lot to look forward to especially if these next few projects exceed expectations. I hope the next couple of projects are better than ATC whatever they may be. :):):)
#4888629
Best way to do it is Answer The Call exists in a parallel reality created by a supernatural sorcerer or better yet too many spacial temporal incursions by the dead into the real world. Thankfully the original timeline Ghostbusters stop more worlds being created but seal off the 2016 world in the process meaning it never occurred. Okay the last part was wishful thinking. Hee, hee. :mrgreen:
JurorNo.2 wrote:You could tell it was made by people who hated the 80s show. Period. But it made me hate the 2003 turtles, who just came off like scolding parents. And that faux edgy "What the shell" thing, ugggggh, lol.
The writers of Turtles Forever were surprise surprise writers for the 2003 series so obviously their aim was to make their Turtles the superior ones since that was who was being watched on TV at the time. Add to the fact that Peter Laird hates the 80s series so he fully endorsed the mocking of the 80s Turtles. I mean as far as I'm aware the FW Turtles never fought vegetables. :shock: It would have been great had the Nick crossover retained the animation of Forever but kept the personalities faithful. One has something over the other unfortunately. David Wise has made a semi-joke in the past he refuses to watch Turtles Forever because of his doctor advised him about his blood pressure. :lol:
JurorNo.2 liked this
#4936212
There's a new thread on rumors we may be getting a GB tv show that does crossover the original films and ATC. How do the folks of this thread feel about it? And how do the new folks to this thread feel?

I certainly wouldn't want to go with my original idea but I'm excited to see what they come up with if the rumors are true.
#4936308
The way IDW did it (the total protonic reversal triggering all the different dimensions) fits so well. They are shooting into another dimension causing an explosion (cue peck THEY CAUSED AN EXPLOSION) and the spirit realm (the tissue between these dimensions) just ripped.

It would mean XGB, RGB, IDW and ATC could all appear or make cameo's. Not to mention all the ghosts from those shows/movie.

    I will check out frnakengeek. Seems like Spongefac[…]

    We're bringing you the latest updates to the Ghost[…]

    Excuse me while I dust off my accordion and record[…]

    One thought, which might create issues if they h[…]