Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By RichardLess
Looks like the reboot isn't doing so well in Japan. Opened at number 4.

With the way Hollywood works now, claiming release dates years in advance and announcing sequels after an opening weekend, it's not looking good for this team. The response has just been too timid. This is Hollywood so anything is possible but if there's one thing Hollywood hates it's bad press. With all these articles coming out about it loosing money and being a flop, I don't see Tom Rothman responding at all. This is the man that didn't give his pet project, Master and Commander, a sequel over at Fox even though it was nominated for a ton of Oscars and had big DVD sales. Oh how I wish they made a Master & Commander sequel. Great film!

Another reason why? Studio politics. Now I'm not saying this is 100% but let's keep in mind who championed the reboot(Amy Pascal). Rothman is now the man in charge so he may want to put his own stamp on the franchise now that the reboot has failed. It was Rothman who slashed the budget and had he not done that? This would be an even bigger defeat. Things like this use to happen back in the '90s all the time, less so now that things are a bit more transparent. Incoming studio heads use to move around their predecessors green lit films, cut the budgets or cancel the films that were in development. They would give completed films crappy release dates, wouldn't market them, that kind of stuff. Studio heads wanted their own film slate in the prime slots. Now? Films are usually way too expensive now to pull crap like that. But when a predecessor's film fails? Different story. Rothman doesn't have the best reputation either, at least back at his days at fox. People change though so maybe he's better now. Who knows.
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:
The Trolls won. Hands down.
Oh you mean they finally got lives?! :-D

Oh wait no...they didn't. :cry:
Hey Juror. I just wanted to extend an olive branch & say I'm sorry for what happened the other day. At no point was my intention to attack you or anyone else. Like Alpha said maybe it was just a misunderstanding. I don't know. My hope is that we can put this non sense behind us and move on like mature adults. We are both fans of the greatest comedy ever made, so we have more in common than we probably think. I know I can be disagreeable or down right annoying, but I've always respected others opinions as their own. We may never agree on the quality of the reboot but so what? In the end it's only a movie and we'll always have the original. So to you I apologize good sir. I look forward to disagreeing with you on everything reboot related in the future :)
Tony Bondioli liked this
By deadderek
There is plenty of Ghostbusters related fun to come our way but it's not likely we'll get a direct sequel to ATC, at least not anytime soon.
By MagicPrime
deadderek wrote:There is plenty of Ghostbusters related fun to come our way but it's not likely we'll get a direct sequel to ATC, at least not anytime soon.
Probably for the best.
deadderek liked this
By DarkSpectre
I mentioned in another thread that this film was created through desperation on Sony's part and it blew up in their faces. Just like improperly mixed chemicals. Fans of the new team will more than likely see the gals in print form like most of have seen the guys for the past couple of years so they'll live on. But with it only being screened on less than 800 screens in the US now and pulling in about 115k daily it's losing steam. My hope is that they move the franchise to TV and fast track a new cartoon.
deadderek, timeware liked this
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote: it blew up in their faces.
In what way has it done that? And don't just fall back on box office. Several users here have already more than established that that's far too simplistic. A box office success can be quickly forgotten. And a box office flop can still get a second chance. So apart from box office, how has the film blown up in their faces? I've seen no indication that this movie is especially reviled or notorious the way, say, Pixels quickly became. And I'm talking about the general public, not the hard core fans who decided to hate the movie on Page 1. And no one in the general public is sympathetic to the trolls or fans who think movies can be "erased."
Alphagaia liked this
By Tony Bondioli
:sigh:

How is it even possible for this tired conversation to still be happening? How many times can a person pass through a revolving door before deciding enough is enough?

I enjoyed the film, though there are a few things about it that I thought were stupid. Other people thought everything about it was stupid. Other people thought it was an outstanding film, and loved everything about it.

All of these are valid opinions.

When I registered for this forum, I didn't expect it to be dominated by what amounts to an ongoing schoolyard quibble. How about we all stop worrying about what other people think? It's getting embarrassing.
Alphagaia, Webster, RichardLess and 1 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
I am sorry I've been contributing to that. I get the impression that the fear is if one "side" stops responding, the other "side" will start to dominate the conversation.
By RichardLess
JurorNo.2 wrote:
DarkSpectre wrote: it blew up in their faces.
In what way has it done that? And don't just fall back on box office. Several users here have already more than established that that's far too simplistic. A box office success can be quickly forgotten. And a box office flop can still get a second chance. So apart from box office, how has the film blown up in their faces? I've seen no indication that this movie is especially reviled or notorious the way, say, Pixels quickly became. And I'm talking about the general public, not the hard core fans who decided to hate the movie on Page 1. And no one in the general public is sympathetic to the trolls or fans who think movies can be "erased."
I think a 5.5 out of 10 on IMDB is pretty telling based on 75 thousand votes. Calling Box office too simplistic doesn't make a ton of sense. It's one of the only metrics we have right now. I think with the money Sony spent added with the controversy(whether you agree with it or not) one has to admit this did not go according to plan. To call this reboot anything but a failure would be ignoring most of the data we have. It's divided the fanbase pretty heavily too. Halloween might be a good time to see how well this movie has done. If we see a bunch of new Ghostbusters costumes selling, then hey, maybe things are looking up. Or if the merch starts selling around Christmas time. But until then everything we can point to as a data point says Sony made some wrong choices.
deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
IMDB users proudly bragged that they voted it a 1 before even seeing it. Plus there are so many movies in that "Top 250" list that are questionable to say the least. I'll gladly take box office over IMDB any day, lol.

The fanbase divided itself.

And I think the wrong choice was the trailer.

Like Tony said, we've been over this.
MightyAni liked this
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
I think a 5.5 out of 10 on IMDB is pretty telling based on 75 thousand votes. Calling Box office too simplistic doesn't make a ton of sense. It's one of the only metrics we have right now. I think with the money Sony spent added with the controversy(whether you agree with it or not) one has to admit this did not go according to plan. To call this reboot anything but a failure would be ignoring most of the data we have. It's divided the fanbase pretty heavily too. Halloween might be a good time to see how well this movie has done. If we see a bunch of new Ghostbusters costumes selling, then hey, maybe things are looking up. Or if the merch starts selling around Christmas time. But until then everything we can point to as a data point says Sony made some wrong choices.
I think you should delve a bit deeper in the numbers behind that outcome of 5.5/10.
It has a median of 7 for instance.

Look how many people voted a 10 or a 1. Both are considered biased votes in my opinion: I think if we remove those from the equation we can get a much more fair number.

All of a sudden the number 6,7,8 stand out in the reviews, with even the 9 having more percentage then the negative votes.

By Sav C
Like I've said in the past, IMDb comedy ratings tend to be two stars less than an equivalent drama. That would make the new Ghostbusters 7.5.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote:
RichardLess wrote:
I think you should delve a bit deeper in the numbers behind that outcome of 5.5/10.
It has a median of 7 for instance.

Look how many people voted a 10 or a 1. Both are considered biased votes in my opinion: I think if we remove those from the equation we can get a much more fair number.

All of a sudden the number 6,7,8 stand out in the reviews, with even the 9 having more percentage then the negative votes.

Very cool that you can see the data behind the data. Nice find. The number of people who voted 1 & 10 is very indicative of what's going in this "Us Vs Them" mindset. That's some excellent deduction on your part Alpha, finding the median while discounting both extremes. I'll buy that logic. Very cool.

I do actually sort of agree with Sav on the comedy rule. I am constantly shocked to see how low rated some comedies are. Ghostbusters not being in the top 250 is insane! It seems to have been stuck at 7.8 forever. But the numbers are the numbers. Meatballs use to have a 5.9, same with GB2! GB2 had a 5.9!! Craziness.
Sav C, JurorNo.2, Alphagaia liked this
By JurorNo.2
RichardLess wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Oh you mean they finally got lives?! :-D

Oh wait no...they didn't. :cry:
Hey Juror. I just wanted to extend an olive branch & say I'm sorry for what happened the other day. At no point was my intention to attack you or anyone else. Like Alpha said maybe it was just a misunderstanding. I don't know. My hope is that we can put this non sense behind us and move on like mature adults. We are both fans of the greatest comedy ever made, so we have more in common than we probably think. I know I can be disagreeable or down right annoying, but I've always respected others opinions as their own. We may never agree on the quality of the reboot but so what? In the end it's only a movie and we'll always have the original. So to you I apologize good sir. I look forward to disagreeing with you on everything reboot related in the future :)
If you would like to discuss something else, like maybe GBII, I did just start a thread on that board. ;)
By TheDreamMaster
Honestly at thus point, despite me wishing we were getting a sequel, I can't imagine anyone wants to come back for one. I know the rumors of problems on set were never confirmed, but after the overall backlash from the internet, plus the outright abuse Leslie Jones is going through, is there anyone who wants to start all this over again?

At best, maybe this'll be Sony's kick in the pants to get some sort of GB3 going, though without Harold with our increasingly older cast, I'm not as excited a sI would've been back around 2009 (or earlier for that matter.). Or Sony will just ditch it all in general. Guess we'll see.
By JurorNo.2
TheDreamMaster wrote: At best, maybe this'll be Sony's kick in the pants to get some sort of GB3 going.
After what's happening recently, I'm not sure I'd want the original cast to be subjected to all this.
deadderek liked this
By zeta otaku
JurorNo.2 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote: At best, maybe this'll be Sony's kick in the pants to get some sort of GB3 going.
After what's happening recently, I'm not sure I'd want the original cast to be subjected to all this.
I don't want any cast subjected to any of this.
JurorNo.2, Alphagaia, deadderek and 1 others liked this
By Commander_Jim
TheDreamMaster wrote: At best, maybe this'll be Sony's kick in the pants to get some sort of GB3 going, though without Harold with our increasingly older cast, I'm not as excited a sI would've been back around 2009 (or earlier for that matter.). Or Sony will just ditch it all in general. Guess we'll see.
One thing I'll give Feigbusters credit for, watching Bill Murrays painfully bored and uninterested performance as he sleepwalked through his cameo in this film has cured me of wanting to see another film with the original cast. I mean, if the guy couldn't even work up the enthusiasm for what must have been a days work... I'd still be keen for a new beginning with Ray and Winston as like GB chiefs to a new generation.
deadderek liked this
By Raystantz Italy
I think "sleepwalk" is the new Murray's work method from Broken Flowers onward.
He comes alive only in his Letterman appearances.
By Alphagaia
Well, we can at least agree most people liked the movie well enough, so it should generate more fans and income thx to (movie based) merchandise, the Madame Thousadds VR tour, the DVDs etc, books, comics, (board)games etc. You know the drill by now.

I think Sony has been paying attention and will probably change the sequel up a bit, but I'm sure a sequel will get there with these actors, unless the animated movie and new cartoon do average or worse as well, which might even be the end of Ghost Corps as the income might not give them enough reserves? I hope I'm wrong on that last one. Time will tell.

I'm curious though: what would you guys like to see in the sequel if they made one with these 4 GB?
By TheDreamMaster
Raystantz Italy wrote:I think "sleepwalk" is the new Murray's work method from Broken Flowers onward.
He comes alive only in his Letterman appearances.
Don't know when Broken Flowers came out, but I've thought he was since GB: The Video Game. And that is considering I thought he was at least trying to voice act in the first Garfield film, no matter how bad it was.
By Raystantz Italy
Alphagaia wrote:Well, we can at least agree most people liked the movie well enough, so it should generate more fans and income thx to (movie based) merchandise, the Madame Thousadds VR tour, the DVDs etc, books, comics, (board)games etc. You know the drill by now.

I think Sony has been paying attention and will probably change the sequel up a bit, but I'm sure a sequel will get there with these actors, unless the animated movie and new cartoon do average or worse as well, which might even be the end of Ghost Corps as the income might not give them enough reserves? I hope I'm wrong on that last one. Time will tell.

I'm curious though: what would you guys like to see in the sequel if they made one with these 4 GB?
The Gbettes locked away in a container while the OGB bust ghosts with a new all female team.
By JurorNo.2
Raystantz Italy wrote: with a new all female team.
I don't want another group of women to deal with this crap right now.
By JurorNo.2
Will the right tone keep the hackers away next time?
By Raystantz Italy
surely, keeping it in the same timeline/continuity/reality would have pushed away a good part of the criticisms.
By JurorNo.2
Raystantz Italy wrote:surely, keeping it in the same timeline/continuity/reality would have pushed away a good part of the criticisms.
Which doesn't say much for the criticism.

I mean seriously, are we saying, "Keep the continuity intact or we'll hack you!"? Is that the fandom now?

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]