After trying a recipe I found online and having it not work out, here's the first try, which used my washing machine. It was close, but ended up being uneven, likely due to my machine being high efficiency and not having enough water in there (just my guess). I may end up turning this into a "slimed" suit eventually, but for now, I wanted to get this right.
So, I bought another suit, looked into several different methods, and combined them to create what I thought would work. After a few panicked moments, where I didn't think it was working, I just kept at it and I must say I'm thrilled with the results.
Navy (removed arm pocket to add franchise patch):
After color stripping:
I really couldn't be happier. I think it's perfect. Now, since I know there will be questions, here's the process I used to achieve this:
1. Quick wash cycle on cool
2. Fill laundry sink with hot water from the tap, until suit is floating, then add 2A and 2B at the same time.
2A. Add 3 packets RIT Color Remover to a jug, add 4 cups of boiling water, mix.
2B. Add pot of boiling water (approx. 18 cups)
3. Stir suit regularly for 60 minutes (this was one of my panic moments, as the suit didn't seem to be changing color, keep going)
4. Drain sink, lightly ring out the suit, and do a quick wash cycle on cool (low or medium spin)
5. Dry on medium heat
6. Quick wash cycle on cool
7. Fill laundry sink with hot water from the tap, until suit is floating, then add 7A and 7B at the same time.
7A. Add 6 cups boiling water, 1 cup salt, 1 tsp dish detergent, and 1.5 bottles of RIT Pearl Grey Dye to a jug, mix.
7B. Add pot of boiling water (approx. 18 cups)
8. Stir suit regularly for 30 minutes
9. Drain sink, lightly ring out the suit, and do a quick wash cycle on cool (low or medium spin)
10. Dry on medium heat
You now have yourself an accurate GB2 Charcoal suit!