By Grimmy GB
Hey guys,

So this is my first attempt at building a GB1 uniform:
- Bought a pair of CSI volleyball pads and TRIED dying them with Rit liquid black. They turned out super light and purple on the pads and black/white zig zags on the stretch once I rinsed them. I opted for the primer misting. I still need to stitch a black patch in. Will do tonight or tomorrow.
- Bought a Rothco pistol belt; actually 2. The first one turned out purple (wtf?) like the pads but way darker. I dyed in the same bath as the pads. Frustrated, I went back to JoAnn Fabric and picked up Rit liquid pearl grey. That worked, but I think I went a bit too dark. It'll buff out.
- Built the key fobs.
- Bought the Tru-Spec 27-P in XL-R. Kind of wished I had gotten the L-R. 5'11" @ 186 lbs. I might hot wash and dry in attempts to shrink.
- Bought the hose and connector from the GB Shop (thanks AJ). Bought a ten pack of .30" strong magnets from The Home Depot. (I wish I could reference who's post it was that suggested the magnets. Great idea!) But, I used that method, having to modify using only .30" magnets.
- Have had the lab gloves since 2007 D*Con.
- Have had the military boots for 11 years (barely worn). I'm saving my pennies for Corcoran 995s.
- Received the MT500 three days ago with the wrong antenna provided. I'm trying to get that resolved. If all else fails, I'll cut this one to the stubby size.
- In the process of building the gizmo circuit board. I have the leather tape measure holder trimmed, just waiting on the dye to show up to finish. Using Jairus's sticker print out and various other GBFans methods, I will get this thing built soon.
- Hoping to start on a trap and then DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUN.... a proton pack.
- Possibly going the easy route with the PKE and goggles through MattyCollector.

I'm always up for constructive criticism. :)

Kitty not happy.
Last edited by Grimmy GB on October 31st, 2014, 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Grimmy GB
Also, have been waiting on my katara patches since last Friday. I can imagine she is stressed with all of the orders for the GB30 anniversary/release and also Labor Day weekend.

I also realized that I need a holster for the MT500. Will probably build one.
By pyhasanon
Katarra8 has began to lose communication with many of the members here, to a point that we've been requesting refunds... hopefully she follows through with you...
By Grimmy GB
A few updates:
My patches will finally be in Friday. I bought some "toddler" ones to put on a hat (no ghost on the front and name tag on the back). I'm gonna wear that thing like I wear my shoes...everywhere. Okay, that was lame. Sue me.
I bleached my belt to almost white. I mixed a khaki combo. Just rinsed the belt and it's currently drying.

I bought an Alice frame, waist straps, shoulder straps (all to what I think is screen accurate), but I can't find a correct kidney pad. http://www.Omahas.com was suggested in some list thread that I cannot recall who created, but they didn't have the
buckling for attaching. Not worth it for the price they were asking.
And the struggle continues...

Love this forum and all of the hard work devoted to making it the best out there...
By Grimmy GB
NEXT GOALS WITH THE UNIFORM:
Take the hose connector off and sand the bottom. I was in a hot hurry for no reason apparently. You can't have a GB uniform without the patches! I also need to add a backing. Again, in a hurry.
Working on finishing the gizmo this weekend. I'll take pics upon completion.
My belt finished drying from the khaki dye. It could have been a shade darker. In this case, better too light than too dark.
Sewing on the patches tonight after a run to Joann Fabrics for thread.
Making a hose receiver for the "Spengler" key ring.

So I ordered a kidney pad from http://www.omahas.com . It was crazy expensive, but I feel like if you want it bad enough, it's just money, right? (cries) lol
Enough of that whimpy crap...
So I called the owner of Omaha's Surplus and was going to simply ask him if the pads had the triangle rings still attached so all that I would have to do is run to Ace Hardware and pick up a turnbuckle. Well, he DOES have the turnbuckles even though it's listing on his site as being absent. SO, if you want one from Omaha's, my suggestion is to give the place a call if you want to verify receiving a kidney pad WITH the turnbuckle.
Also, I got my waist straps in from EvilBay (nice name, you guys). Yeah, not happy. They are the plastic POS. BLEH! Bad taste in my mouth. They are plastic quick release AND rings, but they have the correct NSN#. WTF? So I am now on the lookout for the metal versions. The plastics will have to do until then.

Sorry for the rambling, but this is what this is for, right? It's a journal.
By goldenhawk
pyhasanon wrote:Katarra8 has began to lose communication with many of the members here, to a point that we've been requesting refunds... hopefully she follows through with you...
Last week, I was able to order child sized name tags and a patch from katarra on a Sunday and got them by Thursday. So far she has treated me right with all the GB stuff I have ordered from her. Hopefully, your GB stuff arrives and is to your liking.
Grimmy GB liked this
By Grimmy GB
goldenhawk wrote:
pyhasanon wrote:Katarra8 has began to lose communication with many of the members here, to a point that we've been requesting refunds... hopefully she follows through with you...
Last week, I was able to order child sized name tags and a patch from katarra on a Sunday and got them by Thursday. So far she has treated me right with all the GB stuff I have ordered from her. Hopefully, your GB stuff arrives and is to your liking.
The problem I had: The post office damaged my package. That's what took so long. I received a letter of apology from a post master, BUT I did receive them. I ordered a few more on a separate order on Monday; they are out for delivery as we speak. I've not had any problems from her directly, and she responded to my inquiries within 24 hours.
By Grimmy GB
PssdffJay wrote:I like it, but the Velcro has to go.
Thanks, Jay. I was stitching on this thing about 2 hours last night. The Velcro ripped off the backing, crumpling the patch. Story of my life lol.
By Parflagush
I did a hat like that too. I like the look as it seems to enhance the "exterminator" role of the costume. I pretty much figured the patch would have to be sewn on though. Pain in the butt, but worth it.

Grimmy GB liked this
By Grimmy GB
Your no ghost patch turned out way better than mine (jelly)! When I took the velcro off, it took the backing with it. I see it like this: it's like wearing a uniform without wearing a uniform lol.
By Grimmy GB
I worked on my gizmo a bit today as I am waiting on the circuitry (transistors, resistors, capacitors, wire, etc...) to arrive. Here's my progress. PLEASE BE GENTLE!!! I need to paint the shelf, clean up the tubes, and trim the grommets. By the way, I found a cheap grommet set at Harbor Freight if anyone is curious as to where to get them. $5.00 for 180 pieces.

***Used Jairus's prints***
By Parflagush
Your Gizmo circuit board print out looks great! I tried a few times to print it out on my inkjet printer, but I couldn't get the color and contrast to look good. Might have been the paper type or the printer, I'm not sure. It either looked too dark or too light or too faded, so I gave up.
Grimmy GB liked this
By bishopdonmiguel
Nice uniform. Gizmo is off to a great start. Looks great.
Grimmy GB liked this
By Grimmy GB
Parflagush wrote:Your Gizmo circuit board print out looks great! I tried a few times to print it out on my inkjet printer, but I couldn't get the color and contrast to look good. Might have been the paper type or the printer, I'm not sure. It either looked too dark or too light or too faded, so I gave up.
I printed mine at work. I kind of cheated there :) From there, my rotary tool skills kicked in.

By the way, I've thoroughly enjoyed your builds. I'll be referencing them for sure ^^
By Grimmy GB
SOOOOO, I found out something interesting about sewing on patches that I hope proves useful for everyone:
Instead of using pins or needles to hold the patch in place, I found that metal magnets on each side of the fabric and patch keeps the patch on really well. I had some left over from the hose & connector and just tried it out. TAHDAH!!! lol
Parflagush liked this
By bishopdonmiguel
Magnets = magic!
Grimmy GB liked this
By Parflagush
Grimmy GB wrote:Instead of using pins or needles to hold the patch in place, I found that metal magnets on each side of the fabric and patch keeps the patch on really well.
Great idea! I'll have to try that on my next hat.
Grimmy GB liked this
By Grimmy GB
Haven't posted here in a while. I did manage to whip something up this morning after breakfast at Denny's with the old lady.

I had a female to female adapter that was the perfect diameter for the leg hose. I just simply cut off the threads on both ends, smoothed them down, then drilled a hole to hook the key ring to.

Fits snug and kind of works like a Chinese finger trap. If I pull on it, it takes some hefty muscle to remove it. If I scrunch it, it comes off pretty easy :)

Tonight I plan on getting pictures in of the full uniform. It'll be the first time that I've actually tried it all on together.
By Grimmy GB
Had some fun with photography today! Didn't realize how big the flight suit is on me lol.

Some of my collection.

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Halloween!
vgirl, ESpengler84 liked this
By Gloomdrifter
Looks good. Just the right amount of bagginess.
And looks like its getting a little crowded in your containment unit.
Grimmy GB liked this
By bishopdonmiguel
Grimmy GB wrote:Didn't realize how big the flight suit is on me
Looks perfect to my eyes. Totally awesome dude!
Grimmy GB liked this
By Grimmy GB
bishopdonmiguel wrote:
Grimmy GB wrote:Didn't realize how big the flight suit is on me
Looks perfect to my eyes. Totally awesome dude!
Thanks, Bish! May I borrow your pack please? Thanks :)

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]