By JTurchetta
Using the quarantine time to finally (after 10 years of collecting parts and pieces) put together my costume. Been working on full re-works/re-paints of the spirit props ( I have the Matty stuff, but want to keep that as-is). This weekend, I worked on the flight suit and did a quick test fit of it with some of the rest of the costume pieces. Alice frame shown to test name patch placement. Still working on building the pack.

cristovalc, darthbuster liked this
By JTurchetta
Thanks! I tried to dye it grey (from khaki) but it didn't really take . However it changed the color enough to make it work. The flight suit has actually lightened up a few shades since that photo. I did a pearl grey, let it dry and then a royal blue . Let it dry fully and then washed/dried it. It now has a nice medium grey color to it.
By THawke
One of the things I like the most about the Ghostbusters fan community is that you're free to make a GB uniform your own, and there isn't that "thread-counting-screen-accurate-or-else" attitude I've seen with other costuming fandoms. Just looking through this forum, I've seen people making 2-piece uniforms, which I never would have thought of prior to seeing them here.

Your suit sounds like the shade of gray I'm hoping to eventually have. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to start, after seeing dye recipes for khaki, navy, and black flightsuits. I just don't want to end up ruining suit after suit trying to get the right color.
By JTurchetta
I agree. Thats kind of the best part of making a Ghostbuster costume. It can be made up of whatever you want and makes sense to you.

So I share your concern about ruining the suit. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this. I’m asking questions to friends who have done it before and also figuring out things on my own as I go. I look at as many reference photos as I can and then just go from there. It’s surprisingly easier than I thought.

Here is what I did for my flight suit: I bought a tru-spec khaki flight suit, and removed the Velcro patch. I bought RIT Pearl Grey dye (I used the powder) and I filled up a big clear rubbermaid bit about 1/4 full of extremely hot water. I dumped in the full packet of dye powder and turned the flight suit inside out and put it in the water/dye. I made sure to constantly stir/mix it with my hands for about 15 minutes. After that, I let it completely air dry. It gave it a light grey color. I let it sit out in the air for a week and then tossed the flight suit (again turned inside out) and the Royal Blue dye powder into the washing machine. I just did a quick wash ( i did not add any detergent). I let it air dry. And once it was dry I tossed it back in the washer (no detergent again) and then tumble dried it. It’s worked pretty good so far.

I hope that helps!!!

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]