By RedSpecial
I figured I'd be best starting a new thread instead of clogging up the Magnoli thread.

I have most of what I need for this with very little that I want to change but I will be looking in to getting a new Gizmo at some point in the near future.

To start off, here are some pics that I've posted on another thread showing the Magnoli suit as it arrived.

As much as i like the Magnoli Noghost patch, and I do think it's a fantastic version.
It's not quite as accurate as I'd like.

Given how accurate the suit is, I really want to do it justice by having the best Noghost patch on there that there is in terms accuracy so I decided to remove the Magnoli patch which I'll put to good use elsewhere and I've opted to replace it with the Uber accurate Todd Cook Designs Stantz patch.

I also have one of Heavy Props beautiful recreations of the GB leghose connector on the way which will be attached as soon as it arrives.

Once it's all together I'll take some pics of the full setup.
Nighty80, mike_waclo, l3w1sb159 and 5 others liked this
By RedSpecial
The leg hose connector arrived today from Heavy Props.
Just need to drill out the mounting holes, sew it onto the suit and I should be good to go once events open up again.

The casting is perfect and ticks all the boxes that I'm looking for.
I can't recommend these enough.

JWils23, legend642 liked this
By RedSpecial
The hose connector I had bought wasn't quite as accurate as i was lead to believe so I've ordered a replacement from the GBfans store.

In other news though, I managed to get a hold of a black thermal waffle weave crewneck shirt which is a nice bump up in accuracy to the costume over the usual generic black tee I'd normally wear under the flight suit.

tobycj, Glenn Frederick liked this
By JWils23
Glad to see you back at it! I love Doug’s gizmo kit, it comes out splendidly when complete!
RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
For some reason I wasn't notified about your comments so I'm sorry for the late reply, guys.
I haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to this lately but Doug's kit has been an absolute dream to assemble so far.
Even for someone like me who's never soldered anything onto a board before.

Here's where I'm up to.
I'm hoping to get going with the components at the upper section of the board and the Nixies tomorrow :)

tobycj, Nighty80, JWils23 liked this
By RedSpecial
I added the components to the top of the board today and removed the nixies from my old Gizmo, which I'll probably attach tomorrow.
Lots still to do and some tweaks to make but it's getting there.

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to these things so I won't be making use of the lighting function , as cool as it is.
It's the same reason why I don't add smoke venting to my movie style packs.
I can appreciate why someone would want to but my ever present accuracy gremlin won't allow me to :lol:

JWils23 liked this
By RedSpecial
I finally got around to replacing my soldering iron so that I could continue with the Gizmo.
It just happens to also be the same soldering iron that Phoebe uses in the Latest Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer.
( Hakko FX-901)
Huge thanks to Ray Cameron for identifying it.

I primed and painted the Nixie bracket yesterday, then today I built the error box, added the bracket and aligned everything.
I used some little strips from the sheet of round decals for the white chipsets to add the missing connecting strip on each one and soldered in all of the empty connections on the board as per the original.

I had a bit of a misshap while I was soldering in the wires for the large Sanyo chip but that'll be easy enough to fix with a desoldering tool.
I'm waiting for paint to dry on the large Sanyo chip right now, so hopefully I'll be able to put the finishing touches to the Gizmo over the next couple of days.

Nighty80, NotSabbat liked this
By Justin Fleming
RedSpecial wrote: April 17th, 2021, 7:31 pm
In other news though, I managed to get a hold of a black thermal waffle weave crewneck shirt which is a nice bump up in accuracy to the costume over the usual generic black tee I'd normally wear under the flight suit.

Is there photos that show they used a waffle weave shirt? in everything I've seen it just looks like a normal black tee
By tobycj
Justin Fleming wrote: July 31st, 2021, 3:07 pm Is there photos that show they used a waffle weave shirt? in everything I've seen it just looks like a normal black tee
This photo shows it really clearly
Last edited by Kingpin on July 31st, 2021, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed image code
RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
You can also see Dan wearing one in the jail cell scene.
He has the waffle shirt on with a plain black tee underneath .

They don't always wear the waffle shirts, sometimes it is just a plain, untextured tee but due to film grain it's really difficult to be able to tell definitively in most shots.
darthbuster liked this
By RedSpecial
Finished the Belt Gizmo today and added it to my belt.
With that, my uniform is fully upgraded.

I'll need to do a full test suit up soon to see if I need to make any adjustments before I start attending events again once the finishing touches to my pack are completed.

Synthalus liked this
By RedSpecial
He is.
A black tee on top with the waffle shirt underneath .
Dan also wears two layers in the jail scene, although he wears the waffle shirt as the outer layer with a tee underneath.

There may be more scenes like that, possibly even with Harold and Ernie but the film grain present in the movie makes it extremely difficult to say definitively in most scenes.
darthbuster liked this
By Kingpin
RedSpecial wrote: August 1st, 2021, 12:15 pm Dan also wears two layers in the jail scene, although he wears the waffle shirt as the outer layer with a tee underneath
Makes sense given the rumour they filmed the jail scene possibly in the Tombs, I can't imagine it was particularly warm in there that time of year.
RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
Thanks !
I'm not entirely sure to be honest.

Maybe a Hero aluminium Ghost trap or a set of Ectogoggles once I finish some non GB related projects that I'm working on.
tobycj liked this
By RedSpecial
One aspect of modern versions of Ghostbusters elbow pads that's less than ideal is that the foam seems to be a lot more rigid than it was in the screen used pads.
In the movie, they had a pinched appearance when being worn which modern equivalents just don't give you.
So to give me a more correct look, I decided to add some webbing underneath the bubble to draw the sides in and hold them in the correct shape.
As stock on the left, with webbing added on the right.

Nighty80, JWils23 liked this
By abaka
Damn - That's pretty sharp looking. Great idea. Would you happen to have an an image of the other side in case someone wanted to rip this idea off!!
RedSpecial liked this
By abaka
Thanks - So just normal webbing - I have plenty of that left over from my GB2 belt. Think I'll have to go down this route.

Your pads are excellent also - Are they spray painted?
RedSpecial liked this
By RedSpecial
Yeah it's just standard 1 inch nylon webbing sewn on with grey thread.
They're sprayed with grey primer then given a thin black acrylic wash around the edge and between the bubble sections.
By RedSpecial
A new GB1 Noghost patch has arrived from Todd Cook Designs and it's a thing of beauty.

Todd really has captured every detail and nuance of the real deal.
Here is my previous patch on the left in the first image, the Todd Cook Designs V2.
Up until recently, this was the gold standard of GB1 Noghost patches, and while it's extremely similar to the legacy it differs in a number of key details.

Before, it was believed that the base material was felt, which can be seen here.
Until the costumer for Ghostbusters Afterlife made the discovery that the original base material was an off white natural vintage moleskin as can be seen on the new V3 Legacy patch.
Not only did Todd update his base material but the design itself has been overhauled to include all of the eccentricities of the screen used patch.

The second image shows a screen used Stantz suit patch next to the Legacy patch.
every little misshapen area has been faithfully captured, even the rough and imperfect embroidery has been beautifully replicated, going as far as to recreate the partially embroidered thumb on the left using white thread.

The Legacy patch is practically indistinguishable from the screen used patch so I'm over the moon to be able to add it to my suit and get one step closer to the accuracy we all crave.
It's nothing short of a masterful work of art.

obiwanjabroni, Kingpin, tobycj and 2 others liked this
By RedSpecial
I managed to get the Legacy patch sewn onto my suit, today.
I also have a new name patch on order from the Calgary Ghostbusters to swap out with my current patch but it'll probably be a few weeks before that arrives.

Nighty80, mike_waclo, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
By JWils23
That patch is a beauty! Great job sewing it on, looks perfect.
RedSpecial liked this
By UEF
So in the photos in this thread, which is the Magnoli one?

I think it's a credit to all suppliers in that it's not obvious (at least not to me) - apart from the white-thumbed one, which is unmistakably Todd Cook's

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London