For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
Alex Newborn wrote:Mrmichaelt, thanks for jogging my memory. I somehow also tied the Stay-Puft theory into the opening (and the test footage, which I partially bagged off a cable airing onto VHS before the RGB series came out). I don't recall exactly, but I do remember using that image of a large SPMM being sucked into a trap when I would imagine the non-Gozer scenario.
You're welcome, Alex! I was always curious on what was decided on Stay Puft in the RGB bible, as well. Because they used multiple traps in "Cry Uncle" but in "Sticky Business" I think it was, one trap was used but those were two uniquely different situations - the heat of battle and extraction from the Containment Unit. We saw that tiny compressed Stay Puft when he was let out in "Cry Uncle" probably due to the P.K.E. dampening effects of the ECU, so it was probably possible to trap Stay Puft in that state with one. But full tilt Stay Puft on a rampage, you need a couple and some strategy.
After all, even Ray Stantz knew there was no way to trap Gozer. Watch for a very telling little detail in the movie right after Venkman says 'this chick is toast'... Ray sets down the ghost trap, knowing it will be of no purpose in this battle.
True, but to be fair - it was their first encounter with a god. They didn't know what to do. They only had basic equipment. But since then, it's been proven if you discorporate Gozer's Destructor Form - most of its essence can be then be trapped like a ghost to prevent reformation albeit a more powerful trap is required.
I always wondered the same thing as a kid about why Stay Puft (the destructor form of Gozer) would turn-coat and HELP the RGBs in Murray the Mantis? They couldn't trap a god, Ray even leaves the trap behind in the movie. Then as I'm reading your guys' thread I realize something- in this continuity not only can they trap Stay Puft- they do it every single episode in the intro. If the intro is the real time they battle Stay Puft, it's a possibility Stay Puft is not the Destructor form of Gozer in RGB but another entity.

All that being said Have you ever noticed in "Drool the Dog-Faced Goblin" at 8:36 Ray is either speaking in tongues or doing an impression of someone:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3olrnm (8:36)
I can get "Okay boss, I'll-a-bite...hominy grits a you think-a we see."
I was only a wee lad when I heard it, but I still don't get the reference if he's impersonating someone. It also doesn't help I have no idea what hominy grits are (assuming they have to do with grits and gravy)- but then why did the entity cause them to drop from the sky first blue, then golden?
BoondockRev wrote: All that being said Have you ever noticed in "Drool the Dog-Faced Goblin" at 8:36 Ray is either speaking in tongues or doing an impression of someone:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3olrnm (8:36)
I can get "Okay boss, I'll-a-bite...hominy grits a you think-a we see."
I was only a wee lad when I heard it, but I still don't get the reference if he's impersonating someone. It also doesn't help I have no idea what hominy grits are (assuming they have to do with grits and gravy)- but then why did the entity cause them to drop from the sky first blue, then golden?
I believe it's a Marx Brothers reference. And the blue was diamonds, I suppose. Then it changed into grits.
Ever notice the similarities between the Real Ghostbusters episode "Flip Side" and the 1988 horror-comedy cult classic Killer Klowns from Outer Space?...

One: the exaggerated, misshapen designs of the Peoplebusters are vaguely reminiscent of the Killer Klowns.

Killer Klowns: Image
Flip Side: Image
(Note Ghost-Egon's pear shaped body.)

Two: the Peoplebusters' blasters are quite similar to the Killer Klowns' blasters. Especially the manner in which they are gripped.

Three: In both cases, the blasters encase their target in a type of "cocoon." Cotton candy cocoons in Killer Klowns, and slime cocoons in "Flip Side."

Four: Both have tank-like vehicles (with a broadly sloping shape).

Five: Both have scenes where the characters "parade" down a major city street with the cocoons in tow.

Also, the Killer Klown blasters are very reminiscent of the Ghostbusters' proton streams…

And the Killer Klowns' industrial storage facility is not entirely unlike the Peoplebusters' containment unit.

Finally, Killer Klowns from Outer Space was released on May 27, 1988, and "Flip Side" was released four months later on September 17, 1988. I'm not sure what the turn around was on Real Ghostbusters episodes, but four months seems like plenty of time for the writers and/or animators to have seen Killer Klowns and taken elements from it for "Flip Side".

Furthermore, this would not be the last connection between Ghostbusters and Killer Klowns from Outer Space, as the Extreme Ghostbusters episode "Killjoys" is rather blatantly influenced by Killer Klowns

One: the clown designs.

Killjoys: Image

Two: the set design.

Three: the killer "Jack-in-the-Box" clowns.

I rest my case.
SpaceBallz liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: December 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm Ever notice the similarities between the Real Ghostbusters episode "Flip Side" and the 1988 horror-comedy cult classic Killer Klowns from Outer Space?...

I rest my case.
On a side note, the Pepper's Ghost animatronics for the Universal Studios Florida Ghostbusters Spooktacular attraction were sculpted by the same Chiodo Bros. responsible for Killer Klowns.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorial ... ular-life/

Of particular note is the jack-in-the-box clown seen at upper right of this collage.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: January 8th, 2020, 7:24 am On a side note, the Pepper's Ghost animatronics for the Universal Studios Florida Ghostbusters Spooktacular attraction were sculpted by the same Chiodo Bros. responsible for Killer Klowns.

Alex
Whoa, nice catch, that's awesome! I had no idea the Chiodo Brothers worked on the Ghostbusters Spooktacular. It would be so cool if, as the article suggests, they directed a Ghostbusters movie, or at least designed some more ghosts for one. Their style is a perfect match for Ghostbusters.
Alex Newborn liked this
Just noticed this reference to the first movie in the episode VICTOR THE HAPPY GHOST. Winston hails a taxi cab, and Victor looks awfully similar to the zombie taxi driver as seen during the Mick Smiley "Magic" montage...

ghoulishfright wrote: June 29th, 2020, 8:33 pm Just noticed this reference to the first movie in the episode VICTOR THE HAPPY GHOST. Winston hails a taxi cab, and Victor looks awfully similar to the zombie taxi driver as seen during the Mick Smiley "Magic" montage...

That's a good catch. Hadn't thought of that. By the way I always assumed in the movie that the man who was in that cab died when it crashed in the next scene. That's pretty sad.
Winston1986 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 3:48 am
ghoulishfright wrote: June 29th, 2020, 8:33 pm Just noticed this reference to the first movie in the episode VICTOR THE HAPPY GHOST. Winston hails a taxi cab, and Victor looks awfully similar to the zombie taxi driver as seen during the Mick Smiley "Magic" montage...

That's a good catch. Hadn't thought of that. By the way I always assumed in the movie that the man who was in that cab died when it crashed in the next scene. That's pretty sad.
Wasn't it in one of the drafts that he arrives at his destination without even noticing the erratic driving or the ghoul at the wheel?
robbritton wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 8:57 am
Wasn't it in one of the drafts that he arrives at his destination without even noticing the erratic driving or the ghoul at the wheel?

It's in three!

The August, September and October '83 drafts all contain a second 'callback' scene later in the montage, immediately preceding the deleted '3D movie house' scene, where the businessman is still unaware anything paranormal is occurring.

Here's the wording from the August draft. The other two are virtually identical.

"EXT. STREET

The cab driven by the corpse weaves through traffic at breakneck speed. Cars are forced up on the curb. Pedestrians run for safety.

INT. THE BACK SEAT

The Businessman is reading the Wall Street Journal, oblivious to the whole situation."

https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_script.htm

Alex
robbritton liked this
Haha, that's hilarious! Wish we coulda seen that. Today it'd be some zombie Uber driver and a clueless yuppie on their smartphone. There's something rather Jacques Tati-esque about the social commentary in that and the 3-D horror show scene. Just when I thought I couldn't appreciate the movie any more...
robbritton liked this
@ghostengineer: Egon also wears the Ghost Trap on his pistol belt twice, once in " Short Stuff" when all four Ghostbusters bail out of Ecto 1 since it was taken over by one of the bounty hunters sent by the Ghost Master and again in "Ghost World" when he goes to the amusement park. Mrs. Spengler then takes it off his belt and uses it when Egon is dealing with the ghost controlling Janine. I think that might be more examples of this, but I can not recall any at the moment. This a good catch, its certainly one detail that I have overlooked even since I got a copy of The Real Ghostbusters on DVD from Time Life.
Thanks Venkman Jr. I was never a fan of the later seasons for obvious reasons and Short stuff is one of those episodes I never watched again. I believe this season came out about the same time as GB2 which could be why they went with hanging the trap from the belt ? Personally, I don't think it looks right for RGB but hey, if you decide to cosplay that, now you have an excuse to.
@ghostengineer: Short Stuff is from season four (1988) one year before Ghostbusters II came out in theaters. 1988 was also when Kenner released the Ghost Trap roleplaying toy which had a pull out belt clip to hang the trap on your belt. I am guessing this is wear the animators got the idea for the Ghostbusters to do this from. Plus Ray Stantz carried the Ghost Trap on his pistol belt in the original movie, so it does stand to reason that the animators having seen Ghostbusters would have wanted to do this on the show at some point.
Last edited by Peter Venkman Jr. on May 27th, 2021, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Newborn wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 10:23 am
robbritton wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 8:57 am

It's in three!

The August, September and October '83 drafts all contain a second 'callback' scene later in the montage, immediately preceding the deleted '3D movie house' scene, where the businessman is still unaware anything paranormal is occurring.

Here's the wording from the August draft. The other two are virtually identical.

"EXT. STREET

The cab driven by the corpse weaves through traffic at breakneck speed. Cars are forced up on the curb. Pedestrians run for safety.

INT. THE BACK SEAT

The Businessman is reading the Wall Street Journal, oblivious to the whole situation."

https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_script.htm

Alex
Don't take this the wrong way but in the finished film we see the guy get in the cab with the ghoul driver and then it shows the taxi crash into some trashcans making it seem the passenger is hurt or killed.
Winston1986 wrote: Don't take this the wrong way but in the finished film we see the guy get in the cab with the ghoul driver and then it shows the taxi crash into some trashcans making it seem the passenger is hurt or killed.
The taxi does not crash. It is a car that swerves out of its way that then crashes into the trash cans and three skinny trees.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:23 pmThe taxi does not crash. It is a car that swerves out of its way that then crashes into the trash cans and three skinny trees.

Just for due diligence, I also checked my copies of the multiple takes/angles of this stunt which Sony once had available for purchase as 'stock footage'.

(More on that here...
https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_stock.htm )

From a different angle, the oncoming car doesn't even touch the trees, it brakes before coming into contact with them.

This frame is from the very end of that clip, after the loose hubcap has rolled off the sidewalk and fallen flat. You can see it in the middle of the frame, above the Y in the word SONY in the watermark.

So, in rapid order the driver sees the taxi going the wrong way down a one-way street, swerves, jumps the curb, hits garbage cans which don't stop his forward motion, and brakes to a stop before touching the trees.

I don't see it as fatal or even particularly injurious.

Alex
robbritton, mrmichaelt liked this
Alex Newborn wrote: July 25th, 2020, 11:53 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 11:23 pmThe taxi does not crash. It is a car that swerves out of its way that then crashes into the trash cans and three skinny trees.

Just for due diligence, I also checked my copies of the multiple takes/angles of this stunt which Sony once had available for purchase as 'stock footage'.

(More on that here...
https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_stock.htm )

From a different angle, the oncoming car doesn't even touch the trees, it brakes before coming into contact with them.

This frame is from the very end of that clip, after the loose hubcap has rolled off the sidewalk and fallen flat. You can see it in the middle of the frame, above the Y in the word SONY in the watermark.

So, in rapid order the driver sees the taxi going the wrong way down a one-way street, swerves, jumps the curb, hits garbage cans which don't stop his forward motion, and brakes to a stop before touching the trees.

I don't see it as fatal or even particularly injurious.

Alex
I somehow forgot it waa another car that crashed into the trashcans.
Just rewatched the episode "Take Two," and noticed that the number on the private jet that they take to Hollywood is "G84" or possibly "GB4" (it's kinda hard to tell). Either way, since the characters B and 8 are interchangeable, it looks like code for GB84, or Ghostbusters 1984, the very movie which makes an appearance at the end of the episode. Neato.
Just watched "You Can't Take it with You," and at one point Peter says, "Go get 'em, Tex!" which is an obvious nod to his line in the first film, "Nice shootin', Tex!"
ghoulishfright wrote: May 26th, 2021, 10:54 am Just watched "You Can't Take it with You," and at one point Peter says, "Go get 'em, Tex!" which is an obvious nod to his line in the first film, "Nice shootin', Tex!"
That reminds me in the episode Beneath these streets when Peter gets covered in toilet paper after getting soaked in water, Ray gets all happy about it and Peter says, "This makes you happy!?" It reminds me of the scene in the movie after Peter gets slimed by Slimer and Ray is all happy about it. It is sort of a nod.
In the episode The Hole in the Wall Gang, the character Madame Limburger describes along with her husband the paranormal phenomena they've experienced in their old mansion. Venkman replies with what I am pretty sure is a joke about wild sex:
MADAME LIMBURGER
Crashing and banging; all kinds of weird
noises. Howlings, moanings, frightful grunting;
things falling out of closets all over the place!
PETER VENKMAN
Sounds like my weekends.
In the episode Masquerade, there's an advertisement for Camel cigarettes. In a dang kid's show! Granted, it doesn't actually say "cigarettes," or feature the iconic image of the camel itself, but the arced font is essentially the same as the real Camel logo. I'd say there's no mistaking it. Gotta love the 80's.

SpaceBallz liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: July 28th, 2021, 2:25 pm In the episode Masquerade, there's an advertisement for Camel cigarettes. In a dang kid's show! Granted, it doesn't actually say "cigarettes," or feature the iconic image of the camel itself, but the arced font is essentially the same as the real Camel logo. I'd say there's no mistaking it. Gotta love the 80's.

It being arced doesn't automatically make it a reference to the cigarettes, it was (and still is) common to arc text across a window pane for signage.
As for the choice of the word itself, often the background artists would paint nonsense combinations of letters or words just so there was the suggestion of a sign.
Kingpin wrote: July 30th, 2021, 1:44 am It being arced doesn't automatically make it a reference to the cigarettes, it was (and still is) common to arc text across a window pane for signage.

As for the choice of the word itself, often the background artists would paint nonsense combinations of letters or words just so there was the suggestion of a sign.
You are certainly correct that arced fonts are tolerably common in business logos, but I think the smoking gun (no pun intended) is the word "Camel" itself. In America at least, the only time people encounter the word "camel" in daily life (aside from maybe "camel toe") is in connection to the cigarettes. We don't have camels roaming around Ohio, or even camel mascots for our sports teams. Certainly, there are no other products named "Camel." And that it's an arced blue font (with the same kind of sideways horseshoe-shaped capital E) makes me certain the artist had ciggies in mind.
I think the look of the E is more the result of it being a sloppy bit of free-handed painted writing than by design, the 'M' in particular looks very poorly rendered, and the "A" and "L" are missing their distinctive strokes.
Just rewatched the original Nosferatu on the occasion of its 100th birthday this month, and something dawned upon me: Count Orlok is an awful lot like the Boogieman from The Real Ghostbusters, or rather vice versa, the Boogieman is an awful lot like Count Orlok.

Consider the big pointy nose, pointy ears, pointy teeth, the long fingernails, pale skin, and gothy frock that he wears. Not only that, but the Boogieman's creeping shadow brings to mind some of the most iconic imagery from Nosferatu, and the Boogieman's domain is pure German Expressionism, with doorways distorted and stairwells askew.

There are other obvious parallels as well, such as both characters' exclusively nocturnal activity, their ability to psychokinetically open doors, and their habit of preying upon people in their bedrooms. I could go on further, but I think the point is made; the Boogieman was almost certainly inspired (in part) by Nosferatu (and the Boogieman's domain was perhaps inspired by other works of German Expressionism, such as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari). As for what motivated that bonkers blue mullet, I haven't the faintest clue, but I like it.

:boogieman:
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he does[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]