For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
Attention Ghostheads World-Wide!

Hi, I'm Johnny Splitz, long time forum reader, sometime replier! If my name looks at all familiar I started the Real Ghostbusters Complete Series Companion on YouTube @ https://www.youtube.com/splitzmanifesto back a few years ago. I've added tons of commercials, promos and all things RGB/XGB. As a huge fan of all things animation, The Real Ghostbusters stands up there as one of my most treasured animated series. RGB has an interesting broadcast history with lots of changes and different decisions that made every season unique whether you enjoyed them or loathed them. Back a good few years ago I had a small handful of the redubbed episodes with Dave Coulier :cool: and Kath Soucie :eyeroll: but between moving and downsizing those tapes are now lost to me. Even though the fan base generally doesn't care for them (almost every post is negative) but I do enjoy Kath Soucie and her talents and I'd like to add them to my extensive animation collection and archive them for future and current fans.

This is the plan! I'd like to take your copies, clean them up sight and sound and post samples as part of the Companion. (Full episodes will never fly on YouTube) I'll end up using Adobe products like Premiere and AfterEffects for the production part of things. I'm going to take rips of the episodes from DVD or possibly from a torrent collection, take the sound from your copies and sync everything nicely and make the most high quality version possible. Also I plan on recreating any changes to the title card or super-imposed title that shows up upon fade in from episodes in the later seasons. For example, "The Boogieman Cometh" was redubbed for the 1989 season and has the title card removed but has the title super-imposed just like all episodes in that season. "Mr. Sandman, Dream me a Dream" was redubbed for the 1990 season and has the title card still intact but they replaced the usual title card riff with the commercial bumper riff instead. All these things I'm entirely able to make happen.

The episodes in question so there's no confusion. I'll try and give some airdates or seasons that I'm aware of so fans will know where to look:
1) "Slimer, Is That You?" (Originally aired redubbed in the 1987 season on ABC Saturday Morning. It was on in re-runs during the 1988 season of SRGB but was aired with the original voice cast.)
2) "Ghosts R Us" (Redubbed and aired during the 1990 season potentially on 1990/10/20)
3) "Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood" (Redubbed and aired during the 1989 season potentially on 1989/09/30)
4) "Slimer, Come Home" (Unsure when this redub aired. A lot of redubs I had before were generally aired in the 1989 season)
5) "Troll Bridge" (Redubbed and aired during the 1989 season potentially on 1989/10/14)
6) "The Boogieman Cometh" :boogieman: (I had this episode on tape at one point. It aired during the 1989 season and had the title super-imposed, no card)
7) "Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream" (This episode I also had on tape at one point, aired during the 1990 season with title card. The hour block it was shown on where I got it was "The Brooklyn Triangle"/"Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream")
** "X-Mas Marks the Spot" (Another episode I once had on tape. Aired during the 1989 season potentially on 1989/12/23. I remember this to be redubbed but it has no entry on Paul Rudolf's site. If I'm incorrect could some one post below and let me know!)
Alternate episodes like the Tahiti vs. series music, or oddball, restructured re-runs are not needed.

How do you get your copies to me? We have a few options:
1) Send me your tapes! I've worked in video production and have a spent a lot of hours learning how to carefully and properly re-master VHS. I also realize your tapes are now approaching 25 years or older at this point and they need to be handled properly. I have all the equipment and software to successfully capture them and most likely will only take 1 play through to get everything. Of course, another option is to reproduce your VHS and send me the copy. As long as sound quality holds up that's the big part I'm worried about. Also I'll take care of any S&H to bring and return your tape(s) to you.
2) Send me a digital file of your video capture! If you have the capability at home to capture them yourself, by all means please do. If you can do this and your well versed I need the videos with the following parameters:
Resolution: No smaller than 720p
Screen Size: 640X480 (Standard definition of the time period)
Codec: H.264
File Type: .mp4 (.avi in desperate measures but not preferred)
Frame Rate: 24 fps
Bitrate: No less than 2500 kbps at a variable rate
Sound: 2 Line Stereo sound (if possible, I'm sure a lot of people recorded in Mono) in AAC format @ 48 khz
3) Make an .mp3! I'd prefer to have the video intact but this isn't an option for everyone. Better to have at least the sound and carefully work on cuing it up than nothing at all.
-please keep the sound @ 48 khz
-a bitrate of no less than 196 kbps
-if you're able to save the file in an .aac format, that would be even better

Here's hoping that some of the users who come through the board will be able to help. If I have any information incorrect please don't be shy to post below. Please leave your hatred for these episodes at the door and only post here if you have copies to offer, comments or questions. There's plenty of threads to entertain your hatred for them. If you have any questions or tapes to help feel free to private message me here or send me a message at my YouTube channel. (Link is down in my signature.) Any and all users who support this mini-project will get a copy of all the redubbed episodes either on disc or file transfer to keep with their own set. I like rewarding good work with treats!

Remember, we ain't afraid of no redubbed episodes!
Happy 'busting everyone! :love:
NSGhostbusters liked this
As far as the episodes I've see they're were all full length. I could be wrong about the others. With it being on it's home network at the time I doubt it.
Johnny, you said:

"4) "Slimer, Come Home" (Unsure when this redub aired. A lot of redubs I had before were generally aired in the 1989 season)"

The re-dubbed version aired during the 1987-1988 season. Below is a betamax rip from when it aired in 1988, along with a re-dubbed version of "Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream". Which means this was from when the show became an hour-long block, but BEFORE the renaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keFRxm_Hz4M (Also has Arsenio/Sawing Bumper)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy7dznD72lQ
gold333 wrote:Sorry for the noob question, but you mean redubbing in other languages?

If not, why would they have redubbed English to English?
Some of the 1986 episodes had Venkman and Janine's lines, as originally performed by Lorenzo Music and Laura Summer, redubbed with the voices of Dave Coulier and Kath Soucie, who took over the roles beginning with the 1987 ABC episodes. As for why...we don't know for sure. They could have been done to "try out" the new voices using existing material, or somebody wanted to make the voices the same in every episode aired on ABC from that point forward (which if true they didn't stick to, as "Slimer, Is That You?" with Music and Summer aired on ABC in 1988)
gold333 liked this
Thanks Vahan for those links! To update, it looks as if all those redubbed episodes probably were created and shown during the 1987 season when the show became an hour. If I do get my hands on them, I'll keep them all to the original title card and just worry about the sound. Than they can be as authentic as possible! Any one else with more information don't be shy to post!
Vahan liked this
Vahan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keFRxm_Hz4M (Also has Arsenio/Sawing Bumper)
I'll make sure to put an effort forward to include that bumper in high quality, the no back ground music bumper from "Ghosts R Us" and the episode "Troll Bridge" proper ending credits. More people can add those to their complete collection!
Vahan liked this
The version of "Troll Bridge" with the proper ending credits is intact on Crackle's print, which might be from an older master. I don't know why it was screwed up on the DVD.

http://www.crackle.com/the-real-ghostbusters/2496202

But yeah, I'd love to see it from the original ABC run, with the original CPT (Columbia Pictures Television) logo intact.
All my 1986 season episodes have the old logos intact. Teletoon were using different masters than the DVD as well. If I can get everything organized I'll make sure cool little treats like that are on the companion. As for the USA episodes I've personally never really seen any. I didn't have access to USA up in the great, white north. I did see one episode on YouTube years ago trying to find extra material for the companion. It was a rerun of "The Collect Call of Cathulhu". From what I remember nothing was edited but the title cards and the title was super-imposed on fade in. Anyone else have anything to add to that?
Vahan liked this
Here's a copy of the USA Network version. Quite a bit of stuff was cut, including Peter's line "You go ahead, Ray. I have got a date today. She'll be here any minute, in fact."

Not to mention, an extra commercial break was added, just like with Fox Family in the late 1990's. However, to my knowledge, Fox Family did no editing or time compressing to the episodes with Syndicated running times. This was only done on the episodes that had ABC runtimes.

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/the-r ... f-cathulhu
Vahan wrote:Johnny, one other thing:

Do you have any of the 1989 episodes when they aired on USA Network? Were they still in their correct speed and pitch? On the DVD, they were the most problematic (full episodes were 26:20 instead of 23:20 and short episodes were 12:15 instead of 14:00).
Those episodes are a pain in the ass! *lol* I don't have any from USA. All of mine were from ABC. Everyone has a theory as to why they're like that. Some people blame PAL to NTSC format from foreign masters and all sorts of stuff. My thinking of why is a little more commercial. If you know how networks purchase shows, they usually "order" a certain number of episodes. Now, when they ordered this season they obviously had a format they wanted and obviously DIC was directed to make episodes that matched this format. (14 min RGB/23 min RGB/7 min Slimer! rerun) When the post production studio put the episodes together they still had to present it in a 30 minute format. Obviously, 2 14-min episodes isn't going to equal out to something less than 23 minutes. Put together and sped up for the network to figure out how to arrange the episodes, added that they have to also slow them down to meet their format. The reason we have normal length for episodes "If I were a Witch Man" (A favourite of mine.) and "The Halloween Door" (Another fave) as far as I could understand is because they came from broadcast masters of some sort instead of something from the studio. I'm sure any and all tapes used for ABC exclusively are long gone in the garbage somewhere or taped over with something else. When going to a vault for material like that, they're going to find a lot of masters instead of broadcast tapes. I'm sure it was the only way the 15 minute episodes would make it to the set is in that format.
Vahan, pferreira1983 liked this
Vahan wrote:Here's a copy of the USA Network version. Quite a bit of stuff was cut, including Peter's line "You go ahead, Ray. I have got a date today. She'll be here any minute, in fact."

Not to mention, an extra commercial break was added, just like with Fox Family in the late 1990's. However, to my knowledge, Fox Family did no editing or time compressing to the episodes with Syndicated running times. This was only done on the episodes that had ABC runtimes.
Oh no, they cut stuff out. I had a copy of "It's About Time" from the Fox Family run. They butchered the poor show while it was on there. For example the whole beginning of them chatting in Ecto-1 about the "better days" is completely removed with some other small cuts. They kept them sped up though, but just removed material instead. They crammed them into a smaller amount of time. I don't think they ran much more than 11 minutes.
Vahan liked this
Johnny Splitz wrote:
Vahan wrote:Johnny, one other thing:

Do you have any of the 1989 episodes when they aired on USA Network? Were they still in their correct speed and pitch? On the DVD, they were the most problematic (full episodes were 26:20 instead of 23:20 and short episodes were 12:15 instead of 14:00).
Those episodes are a pain in the ass! *lol* I don't have any from USA. All of mine were from ABC. Everyone has a theory as to why they're like that. Some people blame PAL to NTSC format from foreign masters and all sorts of stuff. My thinking of why is a little more commercial. If you know how networks purchase shows, they usually "order" a certain number of episodes. Now, when they ordered this season they obviously had a format they wanted and obviously DIC was directed to make episodes that matched this format. (14 min RGB/23 min RGB/7 min Slimer! rerun) When the post production studio put the episodes together they still had to present it in a 30 minute format. Obviously, 2 14-min episodes isn't going to equal out to something less than 23 minutes. Put together and sped up for the network to figure out how to arrange the episodes, added that they have to also slow them down to meet their format. The reason we have normal length for episodes "If I were a Witch Man" (A favourite of mine.) and "The Halloween Door" (Another fave) as far as I could understand is because they came from broadcast masters of some sort instead of something from the studio. I'm sure any and all tapes used for ABC exclusively are long gone in the garbage somewhere or taped over with something else. When going to a vault for material like that, they're going to find a lot of masters instead of broadcast tapes. I'm sure it was the only way the 15 minute episodes would make it to the set is in that format.
Do you think it would be possible if RGB was ever re-released (maybe blu-ray) that the episodes could be speed up to their correct lengths? As far as I'm aware The Halloween Door primetime special is one of the few from that season unaffected.
Another weird thing about the 1989 episodes was the music sounding off-key and lower-pitched. Even on the original broadcasts, it was like that. I'm guessing it was because the 3/4 reels the music cues were on were getting worn out from being used so much, and it was time to change them. And they did so in the next season.
NSGhostbusters liked this
@pferreira1983
I sincerely doubt it. That stinks of effort. The set prided itself on being uncut and unedited so the format of the episodes would keep to that philosophy. I doubt when another company has the rights and releases another set that it would be any different. A little tip: if you have VLC Media on your computer (if you don't, you probably should, its free) there's options to change the speed that the media is read at. If you offset in the negative by about 5 seconds the 15 minute episodes play correctly, the vise versa will have the full length episodes play at a normal speed.
Johnny Splitz wrote:@pferreira1983
I sincerely doubt it. That stinks of effort. The set prided itself on being uncut and unedited so the format of the episodes would keep to that philosophy. I doubt when another company has the rights and releases another set that it would be any different. A little tip: if you have VLC Media on your computer (if you don't, you probably should, its free) there's options to change the speed that the media is read at. If you offset in the negative by about 5 seconds the 15 minute episodes play correctly, the vise versa will have the full length episodes play at a normal speed.
That's a shame but thanks for that advice, probably will try it. By the way I love what that woman did on the Internet restoring the intro. A shame Sony doesn't get her to do blu-ray versions of the episodes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu9aTcjnhnQ
Update!
Thanks to one of our posters, Vahan, he lead me to some YouTube 80's commercials from a RGB block from the 1987 season when it moved to the full hour format. Vahan and I were figuring out some logistics to how these redubbed episodes aired. I caught up with the YouTube user, VHS Finds, and he took the time out of his day to recapture the block fully intact for me! I now have:
"Slimer Come Home" (Missing about the first minute or so, otherwise complete.)
"Mr. Sandman, Dream Me a Dream" (Fully intact!)
The sound on both episodes is fantastic and they'll mix with the high quality footage beautifully! VHS Finds hunts down and buys old blanks of VHS and Betamax to find cool clips and commercials for his YouTube and Instagram pages. Now he's helped another YouTuber pull together some pretty rare and cool stuff. I just had a major sewer problem in my basement over the last month and now that everything is cleaned up I need to set up my digital workspace again but once I do I'll be putting together these episodes. I'll post them to YouTube for the time being and see if they survive for more then 10 seconds before being blocked. I'm still hoping to move the Companion to dailymotion.com but this will have to do in the meantime. This is proof that those episodes are out there somewhere, again, if you have anything you can offer to this project I wait here with baited breath just itching to get my hands on them! I'm really anxious to get my hands on a copy of "Slimer, Is That You?" as the Coulier/Soucie voice-over is how it originally appeared in the US. Just a few more to go! :love:
(Check out VHS Finds @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-mWtY ... LvjZJxIuzg or search for VHS Finds on Instagram)
Vahan, JurorNo.2 liked this
Johnny, have you noticed how "weird" the Haim Saban/Shuki Levy music was sounding during the 1989-1990 season?

By "weird", I mean a lot of the music cues that they had been using since 1986 sounded lower-pitched compared to before. As if the 1/4 tapes that they were on were getting worn out from being played so much. Supposedly, this was why they changed the music for the next season.

Finally, do you know if this is true or not: In 1989, the ABC episodes from 1986-1988 were added to the 65 Syndicated episodes on local stations, predating the USA Network reruns by two years.

That may explain why a few of the ABC episodes ("Sticky Business", "Halloween II 1/2", "Camping it Up", "Flip Side", "Poultrygeist") have Syndicated bumpers and shorter running times. Two episodes from ABC Season 3 ("Flip Side" and "Poultrygeist") even have Arsenio's voice for the title card, when they originally had the outro of the ending theme.

Anyways, can't wait for your Dailymotion channel.
Last edited by Vahan on October 4th, 2016, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think the change in music didn't come from that as it was Shuki/Levi leaving DIC to create Saban. (Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, X-Men) They were the lead music people at DIC and I'm wondering if after they left their music went with them or wasn't allowed to be used anymore. DIC also started shipping production out to Korean studios at this time instead of the Japanese animation companies that they were using at the time. (There was quite a few of them!) I was following a UK magazine called 'Cereal: Geek' which is/was a magazine that covers animation from the '80s. Every issue had a couple big articles about all sorts of things but some were about the popular animation companies of the time. DIC has an article in one of the issues, I should go back and skim over it and see if they mention Shuki/Levi leaving. I've personally never noticed a difference in the music quality, just that new music was added to the score every season.

Yes, that is true! I watched the first run syndication in 1987 and watched the ABC Saturday morning episodes during syndication in 1988. I rarely watched it on Saturday morning until it became Slimer! and the Real Ghostbusters...Lucky me! Some folks even reported seeing the episodes in syndication even into the 1989 season. Those folks were also treated to 1988 episodes from Slimer! and the Real Ghostbsuters which explains why you noticed the difference in "Flip Side" and "Poultrygeist". After that I think USA started picking all the episodes and started that run.

So yes, those episodes you listed are from syndicated version tapes, but, it's kind of neat to see how they would have been shown in re-runs. Sort of a little bonus for our boxset!
Vahan liked this
Lucky_Ladybug wrote:Is the TimeLife release the version with the original voice actors?
Yes, the Time-Life DVD has the original voice actors.

I suspect the Syndicated episodes aired in foreign countries first earlier in 1987. That's why you see a 1986 copyright on all the episodes, and also, that's why you see the DiC Vortex on some episodes (the USA airings always had the newer Kid-In-Bed and Coca-Cola logos initially).

Paul Rudoff has a page on DVD Masters. The slate for "Egon on the Rampage", the most recent master I could find from before September 1987, says June 24, 1987. It's likely the Summer of 1987 was when the Syndicated episodes first aired ever, before the USA got them.
Thanks Ladybug for letting me know! I never planned on buying the Sony re-releases but I guess that's going to change. I already ordered a copy from Amazon to fit into my collection. I'm starting to wonder if Sony has they're own run of episodes for commercial purchase. The TimeLife set was put together by hand with episodes chosen based on quality and what not. Someone else on another topic mentioned "Slimer, Is That You?" aired on FearNet as the redubbed version also. Leading me to believe there's certain versions of all the episodes Sony will use to be aired on television or home video now. Making the complete series that much more thought out and done with a lot of care. Which was never a doubt!
Lucky_Ladybug wrote:I bought volume 7 of the new DVDs and the copy of Slimer, Is That You? is the Coulier/Soucie version. That would be great for the OP, I imagine, but it wasn't what I wanted.... Is the TimeLife release the version with the original voice actors?
Quick question for you Ladybug, does that episode and all the others you've seen all have their title cards?:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/gho ... 0216223502
Spook Central said on the first wave of DVDs they were all removed but when I grabbed Volume #7 all the episodes have them now. Let me know, I'm just curious if the Canadian made for sale DVDs are different than the US.
Johnny, off-topic, but do you have the twelve half-length episodes from 1989 in their original form? I'm really happy to see all the full-length ones from this season in their proper speed, but I hate the fact that Sony didn't include the half-length ones digitally or on the newer DVDs. There are at least four of them online, but they are all really bad quality. I wish you could upload them to Dailymotion, if you have them.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason DiC/Columbia created half-length episodes was due to the negative reception ABC got from the Slimer! segments.
I don't have all 12. The only one I'm missing is "It's About Time". Well more so I have a crummy version for reference, the other 11 are ok. About the quality you'd expect from a first generation tape in 1989. I'd probably more so go back and play with the running time in an editing program and recreate them more so than VHS capture them. I did the math before and each minute in the 15 minute episodes is equal to 1 minute and 6 seconds on the DVD set. This is something I could play with down the line but isn't a high priority in my list. I'd rather be able to work on material that I know won't get pulled down than the other way around.
I think that's why they made them! If you've noticed they're quite kid friendly stories. Not a lot of really scary, directly horror-like elements. This allowed for more RGB stories but still keeping to a kid friendly direction that the Slimer! cartoon offered. Look at the regular length episodes from that season, a lot of them have quite dark, creepy moments to them. Even the episodes themselves have a darker tone than the 15 minute episodes by comparison. Dont forget, ABC got to save a little money by squeezing one more season out of all those Slimer! episodes!
Vahan liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]