Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
I completed this daunting task yesterday afternoon and the results are outstanding. I was fortunate enough to have gotten some angle (L) brackets from fellow member Hooker and they turned out to be perfect. What hook did was get a long piece of 2" x 2" x 1/4" thick aluminum angle bracket and cut it into 2 inch sections. The bracket can be found at home improvement stores as well as purchased on ebay. Many sellers will even cut the bracket into pieces of your specified width, free of charge.

The first thing I did was measure the thickness of the pack wall at each mounting point then place the bracket on the motherboard accordingly, allowing a 1/4" play or so just to be safe, then mark the outline on the motherboard. Then, one by one, taping down the brackets and test fitting, and re-test fitting the shell on the board until the placement of the bracket seems close enough. It should be said that the the bracket doesn't have to sit right up against the inside wall of the pack so don't stress if it's slightly off.

After you get all the brackets placed, clamp them down and drill 2 holes into each bracket, going all the way through the bracket and motherboard. Then either use the appropriate size screws and bolt the bracket to the board or for GB1 accuracy, use 3/16" large flange(head) rivets like I did.

once all the brackets are securely attached to the motherboard, place the shell on the board and make the proper adjustments until its centered to your satisfaction. Now, get a #7 drill bit and drill right through the side of the pack and into the L-bracket, making sure to go all the way through the bracket leaving a small clean hole.

Now, with the pack shell still on, insert a 1/4-20 tap through the hole in the side of the shell and carefully cut threads into the L-bracket, keeping the tap as straight as you can. You wont be able to see the actual bracket while you're tapping it but this is okay because when you tap with the shell on, the insertion angle created by the hole in the pack will create threads in the bracket at an ideal angle to insert the bolt you will be using to secure the pack to the bracket.

Here's what you are doing:

after tapping, insert a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw or button head cap screw(Socket head cap screw for GB1 accuracy, Button head cap screw for GB2) and tighten to a loose thumb tight. Then drill and tap the rest of the brackets in the same manner. Be sure to consult the great reference section here for bracket/screw placement before drilling!

Last edited by kind2311 on May 22nd, 2020, 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
El Chorko, maranzintosh, joegianco and 3 others liked this
Hey Kind your tutorial is awesome!

Question though what size rivets did you use for the assembly? I found some rivets that are 1/4, but the head isn't as wide, i was looking for more of what you went with just having a hard time finding them with a large flange head and nail tip 3/16 or below since most rivet guns except 3/16 or below, any chance you could let us know where you found those puppies. Thanks man

Chris
it looks great. i did mine kinda the same way by cutting my own to the length i wanted them; and for added weight disbursement and (in my mind) a little extra safety, i have one long bracket across the top of the motherboard. but i dont trust the the hex bolts, so i used sheet metal screws.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

irricanian wrote:Isn't the bracket 1/8" x 2" x 2" cut at 2" wide? The one in your first picture looks bigger than 3/4"
That's correct. Not sure where I got 3/4" from?
pchrisbosh1 wrote:Hey Kind your tutorial is awesome!

Question though what size rivets did you use for the assembly? I found some rivets that are 1/4, but the head isn't as wide, i was looking for more of what you went with just having a hard time finding them with a large flange head and nail tip 3/16 or below since most rivet guns except 3/16 or below, any chance you could let us know where you found those puppies. Thanks man

Chris
Thanks Chris :cool:

They are aluminum 3/16" large flange rivets and you wont find them with large flanges in stores like ACE, Lowes, or Home Depot. I got them from a local auto body shop and they had no problem giving me 10 of them, didn't even charge. I did have to buy a rivet gun from ACE though, that was about $10.

here they are on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/16-Large-Flange-R ... B000MPR5WY
it's an HD version of the film in .mkv format and the caps are taken with VLC media player. The DVDs do not come out this clean.

if you right click the image and select "view image", you can see it even clearer.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

kind2311 wrote:
irricanian wrote:Isn't the bracket 1/8" x 2" x 2" cut at 2" wide? The one in your first picture looks bigger than 3/4"
That's correct. Not sure where I got 3/4" from?
pchrisbosh1 wrote:Hey Kind your tutorial is awesome!

Chris
Thanks Chris :cool:

They are aluminum 3/16" large flange rivets and you wont find them with large flanges in stores like ACE, Lowes, or Home Depot. I got them from a local auto body shop and they had no problem giving me 10 of them, didn't even charge. I did have to buy a rivet gun from ACE though, that was about $10.

here they are on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/16-Large-Flange-R ... B000MPR5WY
Great tutorial Vince , I would recommend editing the bracket size (1/8" x 2" x 2" cut at 2" wide) and rivet size (3/16" large flange rivets) and get this tutorial stickied and locked with just your first post showing.
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad this is helping people to realize this isn't as difficult as some would think. Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to doing this step again on my next pack! :D

Colin, thanks for the correction, the changes have been made. When I first wrote this tutorial, it was posted in thor2015's "V71 Mark X Assembly" thread but I then decided to also give it's own thread so as to be sure it wouldn't be missed . . .the same reason I didn't post it in the tutorials section, this forum is the most frequented when looking for this kind of info. Of course the mods can move this or do whatever they wish however, I would like to request that the thread be kept open so as people can ask questions and it can be an open and intelligent discussion.
Agreed, sticky but not locked would be best. Too many tutorial posts tend to get buried and new people can't always find them.

On another note, I mentioned before that i would be offering up mounting kits to go along with my motherboards and I will make them available tomorrow, the aluminum angle is being cut now and I got the rivets and bolts today. I will post a for sale thread and put them on my website. Thanks for doing the tutorial Vince
Thanks Brad :cool:
A tutorial on that would be helpful to some but it's not really an issue for most. The biggest problems that arise with attaching an ALICE pack frame to the mobo are where to make the 3rd mounting point and what kind of spacers to use.

There were three mounting points where the alice pack was connected to the mobo. The 2 rectangular slots in the bottom (Irricanian's mobos are pre-drilled for these) and a 3rd one that needs to be drilled about 3 inches up from the middle crossmember, right before the vertical support bar begins to curve inward. 1/2" spacers were used between the frame and mobo on all mounting points. The position of the 3rd mounting point can be easily seen here:

Agreed! A great tutorial! Thanks for that!

Quick question, tho - what is the diameter of the large rivet head? I have some 16mm Dia,but they look a tad small.

Cheers,
Coz.
BradDrakenstein wrote:maybe Colin could sell a mounting kit for that also
He does now! http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 76#p124476

Vinny, I decided to mount my shell yesterday using your tutorial. It worked flawlessly and very clean!!! I also posted a few tips on my WIP thread as a "companion" to your guide. I didn't feel I should post them here 'cause don't want to hijack your thread. :)

Thanks a lot for your tutorial! I'm in debt with ya!

jose
Last edited by jt001 on June 4th, 2009, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]