For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
BRD 527 wrote: June 9th, 2019, 12:53 am Im hoping for there to be a story mode multiplayer option I was pretty bummed about that 10 yr ago and its actually the reason I didn't buy the game back then. I did buy a digital copy 2 yr ago for Xbox 360. the servers are still up and people do still play.
People still play the 360 version's multiplayer? That's incredible considering it's a 10 year old game!
BRD 527 wrote: June 9th, 2019, 12:53 am Im hoping for there to be a story mode multiplayer option I was pretty bummed about that 10 yr ago and its actually the reason I didn't buy the game back then. I did buy a digital copy 2 yr ago for Xbox 360. the servers are still up and people do still play.
The GB Servers are STILL UP!? (my 360 Ate my disc)
Yeah, the back of the packaging (at least the PS3 version) was quite misleading too. It advertised the multiplayer but failed to mention it was only online. My Mum bought it thinking me and my brother could play together, so we were very disappointed to discover we couldn't.

Given that it's releasing on Switch, I would hope they would add co-op multiplayer this time.
Let's talk wish list. The more I uncover on the internet, the more I'm putting my expectations in check. Having read the French article I posted earlier, it seems Saber have the uncompressed original material to work from, so I think we'll get this from the initial PS4 / XB1 release:

- Single player campaign only
- 4k 60fps 2xAA
- Constant framerate (PS3 had awful slowdown when for example the book monster exploded)
- Reduced loading times
- 4k cutscenes
- Higher-polygon-count shadows (which some of you might recall could have been improved)
- Perhaps one or two more lighting effects / simultaneous light sources
- Higher-res textures
- Improved AF filtering
- Updated achievements

A high-spec PC would provide many of those changes for the original version (you could force AA). It wouldn't require much more than a hacked ini file, so I'd consider that to be a lazy port. If Saber are investing more time and effort, I would love to see (again with realistic expectations):

- A purpose to the $$$ damage indicator (seriously, it did nothing)
- Re-assessment of the voicework (the Wii has some better takes of some Bill Murray lines)
- Better lip sync on the in-engine cutscenes
- Improved animation (especially on the in-engine cutscenes, but it could all use an update to modern standards)

The gold-standard port would have more thought applied to the design of the last 1/3 of the game when the quality tapers off, some rookie customisation options for the single player campaign, co-op campaign, and integration of the leftover voicework (either in the form of new levels or extension of existing ones).

Not holding my breath for any of those, but we can dream, right?
NSGhostbusters liked this
GBfan_CH wrote: June 10th, 2019, 5:38 am Let's talk wish list. The more I uncover on the internet, the more I'm putting my expectations in check. Having read the French article I posted earlier, it seems Saber have the uncompressed original material to work from, so I think we'll get this from the initial PS4 / XB1 release:

- 4k 60fps 2xAA
- Constant frame rate (PS3 had awful slowdown when for example the book monster exploded)
- Reduced loading times
- 4k cutscenes
- Higher-polygon-count shadows (which some of you might recall could have been improved)
- Higher-res textures
- Improved AF filtering
- Updated achievements

A high-spec PC would provide many of those changes for the original version (you could force AA). It wouldn't require much more than a hacked ini file, so I'd consider that to be a lazy port. If Saber are investing more time and effort, I would love to see (again with realistic expectations):

- Re-assessment of the voicework (the Wii has some better takes of some Bill Murray lines)
- Improved animation (especially on the in-engine cutscenes, but it could all use an update to modern standards)

The gold-standard port would have more thought applied to the design of the last 1/3 of the game when the quality tapers off, some rookie customization options for the single player campaign, co-op campaign, and integration of the leftover voicework (either in the form of new levels or extension of existing ones).

According to someone who was at the Game panel at FanFest, they're looking into the possibility of more MP levels (but don't hold your breath), and plan to support the game "into the future." Which presumably means they're open to adding more material later as DLC? That would mean newly made material.

I wouldn't expect much on that front, just maybe DLC uniforms or something. Anything more meaty, I doubt. Hell, if the game doesn't even sell well, those plans may be put on ice anyway.

If there IS a chance we can get more material later on as new DLC, the only thing I really want is an offline version of MP, for when the servers eventually shut down again. Split-screen MP would be nice, but given that's a whole mess of new coding, I'll settle for offline MP that uses AI Ghostbusters as teammates. Given that the AI in the campaign (for both the ghosts and the 'Busters) is already perfectly good, I don't think it would take very much tweaking to get them working within the MP maps.

I don't think we could reasonably expect anything else, unless they're willing to pay Dan/Ernie to record some new dialogue for more new material--but honestly I don't expect funding for anything that extensive for a re-release of a ten year old game that was a minor success.

Although, there is that new movie coming up... that may convince Sony to open their wallets for more stuffs... :cool:
Funny that no 0ne has mentioned expansion packs. If this is being released for the anniversary think new dlc in relationship to gb3. If they have been working on the re master it's something I see them considering. Although we have nothing from kingdom hearts three yet and they've sold a ton of copies.
GBfan_CH wrote: June 10th, 2019, 5:38 am Let's talk wish list. The more I uncover on the internet, the more I'm putting my expectations in check. Having read the French article I posted earlier, it seems Saber have the uncompressed original material to work from, so I think we'll get this from the initial PS4 / XB1 release:

- 4k 60fps 2xAA
- Constant framerate (PS3 had awful slowdown when for example the book monster exploded)
- Reduced loading times
- 4k cutscenes
- Higher-res textures
- Improved AF filtering
- Updated achievements

The gold-standard port would have more thought applied to the design of the last 1/3 of the game when the quality tapers off, some rookie customisation options for the single player campaign, co-op campaign, and integration of the leftover voicework (either in the form of new levels or extension of existing ones).

I would be disappointed if they keep the campaign single player. That's the one thing from the original that they need to change in a remaster.
It's not something they can just "change". That's not what "remastering" is. The campaign isn't designed for multiple players. Entire levels and dialogue would need to be changed. A remaster, as has been explained, is bringing the visuals up to par with modern standards. The fact that they're re-working the mulitplayer is a step beyond and is completely unexpected.

Anyone asking for a co-op campaign, a fully explorable world, or any other major additions need to temper their expectations because that isn't remastering, that's asking for a brand new game.
*NormalGamer*, CPU64 liked this
Worst case:

-It's just a higher res version of the 2009 game. The same sharpness that PC users reach if they use HSAA (+FXAA) at 1080p on the original version. (The game nevers dips below 60fps in 2D on that setting on a 1080ti and 8700k.)

Best case:

-Completed versions of unfinished leves (Thanksgiving Parade level, Van Horne, etc)
-Increased resolutions of the original .TEX files. (I don't know how though, unless they have access to assets that should be at Terminal Reality ex-employees personal PC's... The GBTVG discs only had low resolution .TEX files.. like the newspaper clippings in the GB firehouse or other textures. The resolutions were ultra low (like 400p).
-Redone in game lighting. Probably the single most important flaw. The lighting in this game was sub par. Not atmospheric at all. If they can hack the game code to improve the lighting that would be a game changer.
-In game gameplay visuals similar to the awesomely lit cutscenes. It would elevate the game to another level but it will probably never happen.
-Using unused audio from from the actors or audio from the Wii version to supplement the existing Xbox / PC audio, storyline. The Wii had more audio recordings that fleshed out moments in the game. Like "That's some seriously bad juju" "Make a hole" etc. I believe are things Ray Stantz only says in the PC version if your fps is consistently above 60fps.
-First person mode like the GTA V remaster. Very unlikely but it would be so cool.
-Multiplayer on PC. Maybe including additional gameplay elements (designated trap, managing Ghost trap NRADS, etc)
-Fixing the engine so that Nvidia 3D play (or the current replacement) doesn't have those rare but annoying sub 30fps dips in graphically simple areas in 3D.
-Any additional gameplay elements (single trap casting, movie accurate adjustable Neutrona thrower power levels, +1, +2, +3 with different levels of overheating for each, same as the original prop and the Matty Collector Neutrona wand replicas, redoing Ecto Goggles to match operation in GB '84 with additional functionality, etc.)
-2009 Game was touted as an innovation in destructible environments: so more destructible environments
-Redone firehouse to match the real one and more interactivity elements throughout the game.
-Redone Alhambra ballroom to match the actual layout of GB '84 Sedgewick ballroom that was present in the pre -release E3 2009 footage.
-An additional interaction with Egon at the end of the game for Harold Ramis' memory.
-More artifacts
-More Easter Eggs (hopefully tieing into GB 2020)
-Pumps Ghostbusters III / I Gotta Feelin !! (the song that is the unofficial soundtrack for GBTVG 2009, find the story behind it online somewhere)
-An additional new song
Last edited by One time on June 12th, 2019, 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GBfan_CH liked this
-Increased resolutions of the original .TEX files. (I don't know how though, unless they have access to assets that should be at Terminal Reality ex-employees personal PC's... The GBTVG discs only had low resolution .TEX files.. like the newspaper clippings in the GB firehouse or other textures. The resolutions were ultra low (like 400p).

The dev team mentioned finding the raw cutscene data on someone's home computer, so I'm hopeful there are uncompressed textures as well.
-Pumps Ghostbusters III !! (the song that is the unofficial soundtrack for GBTVG 2009, find the story behind it online somewhere)

Oh God yes! That song is perfect and it's a real shame they couldn't use it at the time.
robbritton liked this
One time wrote: June 11th, 2019, 4:32 am Worst case:

-It's just a higher res version of the 2009 game. The same sharpness that PC users reach if they use HSAA (+FXAA) at 1080p on the original version. (The game nevers dips below 60fps in 2D on that setting on a 1080ti and 8700k.)

Best case:

-Completed versions of unfinished leves (Thanksgiving Parade level, Van Horne, etc)
-Redone in game lighting. Probably the single most important flaw. The lighting in this game was sub par. Not atmospheric at all. If they can hack the game code to improve the lighting that would be a game changer.
-In game gameplay visuals similar to the awesomely lit cutscenes. It would elevate the game to another level but it will probably never happen.
-Using unused audio from from the actors or audio from the Wii version to supplement the existing Xbox / PC audio, storyline. The Wii had more audio recordings that fleshed out moments in the game.
-First person mode like the GTA V remaster. Very unlikely but it would be so cool.
-Multiplayer on PC. Maybe including additional gameplay elements (designated trap, managing Ghost trap NRADS, etc)
-Fixing the engine so that Nvidia 3D play (or the current replacement) doesn't have those rare but annoying sub 30fps dips in graphically simple areas in 3D.
-Any additional gameplay elements (single trap casting, movie accurate adjustable Neutrona thrower power levels, +1, +2, +3 with different levels of overheating for each, same as the original prop and the Matty Collector Neutrona wand replicas, redoing Ecto Goggles to match operation in GB '84 with additional functionality, etc.)
-2009 Game was touted as an innovation in destructible environments: so more destructible environments
-Redone firehouse and more interactivity elements throughout the game.
-Redone Alhambra ballroom to match the actual layout of GB '84 Sedgewick ballroom that was present in the pre -release E3 2009 footage.
-An additional interaction with Egon at the end of the game for Harold Ramis' memory.
-More artifacts
-More Easter Eggs (hopefully tieing into GB 2020)
-Pumps Ghostbusters III !! (the song that is the unofficial soundtrack for GBTVG 2009, find the story behind it online somewhere)
-An additional new song
I think you're expecting way too much for this. A majority of what your "best case" is asking for would be require a lot of reworking for the game, especially the unfinished levels. Anyone expecting more than that is gonna be disappointed. At the minimal, all a remaster is suppose to do is update the specs. Anything else is just toppings.
All a remaster is suppose to do is update the specs. Anything else is just toppings.

In the initial announcement here...

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/05 ... this-year/

...Saber said:
The great storytelling and audio has all been preserved while enhanced textures and lighting complete the package.

So sounds like that’s all we’re getting. No mention of additional content. But enhanced lighting and textures will still be a great thing so it’s got my money.
GBfan_CH wrote: June 11th, 2019, 7:30 amSo sounds like that’s all we’re getting. No mention of additional content.
Well yeah, that shouldn't be a surprise. I wasn't expecting anything other than updating the graphics a bit. They did say they're adding multiplayer later and that's gonna have to be rebuilt, but it's not exactly new content either (unless they add new maps, which I'm not counting on).
80sguy wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:51 amAnyone expecting more than that is gonna be disappointed. At the minimal, all a remaster is suppose to do is update the specs. Anything else is just toppings.
To be fair a lot of the most remastering recently has added something and the dlcs.ike crash racing or persona S or kingdom hearts 1.5 ect...

Whole new levels ect .. I agree is too much but there's a multiplayer mode they could give extra skins , extra stages or modes too. Like a better horde mode could be fun or skins based on new movie or comics.

While I dont expect it I can understand people who do. As paying £50 for a slightly shiner PS3 game does seem a tad silly. Now paying £30 for that is fair or £50 for game and some new content

But that's just my thought
80sguy wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:51 am

I think you're expecting way too much for this. A majority of what your "best case" is asking for would be require a lot of reworking for the game, especially the unfinished levels. Anyone expecting more than that is gonna be disappointed. At the minimal, all a remaster is suppose to do is update the specs. Anything else is just toppings.
Yeah I know. I just sat down and tried to imagine everything that would make that game even better.
One time wrote: June 11th, 2019, 3:41 pm
80sguy wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:51 am

Yeah I know. I just sat down and tried to imagine everything that would make that game even better.
Oh that's easy. Two words. "Mirco transactions" gamers love those right? And loot boxes! We need loot boxes!
zeta otaku wrote: June 10th, 2019, 7:23 pm It's not something they can just "change". That's not what "remastering" is. The campaign isn't designed for multiple players. Entire levels and dialogue would need to be changed. A remaster, as has been explained, is bringing the visuals up to par with modern standards. The fact that they're re-working the mulitplayer is a step beyond and is completely unexpected.

Anyone asking for a co-op campaign, a fully explorable world, or any other major additions need to temper their expectations because that isn't remastering, that's asking for a brand new game.
Just add in a second Rookie for player two to control with no other changes. I don't see how that could cause any issues. The dialogue would still make sense.
"Just add in". So, this would be online multiplayer? Now they need to make sure the netcode can handle levels the size of the single player stages. Split screen? The engine wasn't designed for multiple players like that AND now has to render twice as much without taking a performance hit. The PS2 and Wii versions did it because those games were designed from the get-go for split screen.

How do you balance the encounters? Artificially up the difficulty? Boost the health? Throw in more enemies? What about the puzzles? How do you balance those for two players simultaneously?

All they're doing is upping the texture resolution, improving the lighting aaaaand that's really it. The fact they're rebuilding the multiplayer mode is beyond expectation right there (and that won't even be available when the game launches), but it absolutely will not include a co-op version of the single player campaign for all the reasons stated throughout this thread.
Kingpin, *NormalGamer*, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
Slimered wrote: June 11th, 2019, 4:21 pmJust add in a second Rookie for player two to control with no other changes. I don't see how that could cause any issues.
It could cause a lot. As stated, the game was designed for single player. Adding another player is more difficult than you think. A lot of more code would have to be added, and the gameplay WILL have to be tweaked to take into account of another player. Also, they the dialog would need to be tweaked to acknowledge a second player, as well as cut scenes if you wanna remain in continuity. One of the things with the PS2 and Wii version was that was dialog was obviously meant to be directed at one person, even though we now have two players.
zeta otaku liked this
zeta otaku wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm "Just add in". So, this would be online multiplayer? Now they need to make sure the netcode can handle levels the size of the single player stages. Split screen? The engine wasn't designed for multiple players like that AND now has to render twice as much wi7thout taking a performance hit. The PS2 and Wii versions did it because those games were designed from the get-go for split screen.

How do you balance the encounters? Artificially up the difficulty? Boost the health? Throw in more enemies? What about the puzzles? How do you balance those for two players simultaneously?

All they're doing is upping the texture resolution, improving the lighting aaaaand that's really it. The fact they're rebuilding the multiplayer mode is beyond expectation right there (and that won't even be available when the game launches), but it absolutely will not include a co-op version of the single player campaign for all the reasons stated throughout this thread.
Actually, it was reported elsewhere on this forum that they are considering adding local co-op to the campaign mode.
80sguy wrote: June 12th, 2019, 6:58 am
Slimered wrote: June 11th, 2019, 4:21 pmJust add in a second Rookie for player two to control with no other changes. I don't see how that could cause any issues.
It could cause a lot. As stated, the game was designed for single player. Adding another player is more difficult than you think. A lot of more code would have to be added, and the gameplay WILL have to be tweaked to take into account of another player. Also, they the dialog would need to be tweaked to acknowledge a second player, as well as cut scenes if you wanna remain in continuity. One of the things with the PS2 and Wii version was that was dialog was obviously meant to be directed at one person, even though we now have two players.
I don't see it with the dialogue. It works fine with characters still referring to 'Rookie' singular.
Slimered wrote: June 12th, 2019, 4:23 pm
80sguy wrote: June 12th, 2019, 6:58 am

I don't see it with the dialogue. It works fine with characters still referring to 'Rookie' singular.
Yeah, because only acknowledging one person when there are two isn't awkward at all. Telling that one rookie to do this by yourself when there is another one with you. I'm not saying it'll be a huge deal, but is noticeable when instances come up. Again, this happened with the Wii/PS2 version. The dialog is clearly written to be directed at one person, not two.

Also again, the game play will have to tweaked to accommodate a second player. The creators even explained why they wanted to keep it single player.
Slimered wrote: June 12th, 2019, 4:22 pm
zeta otaku wrote: June 11th, 2019, 6:44 pm "Just add in". So, this would be online multiplayer? Now they need to make sure the netcode can handle levels the size of the single player stages. Split screen? The engine wasn't designed for multiple players like that AND now has to render twice as much wi7thout taking a performance hit. The PS2 and Wii versions did it because those games were designed from the get-go for split screen.

Actually, it was reported elsewhere on this forum that they are considering adding local co-op to the campaign mode.
I looked through this thread, and there is no mention of the developer wanting to add that. No other sites report it either.
*NormalGamer*, Kingpin liked this
I just replayed this game with my 8 year old son on the PS3 and had a blast. I was telling him about playing the multi player with my friends back in 2009 so we're both reaally excited if they end up revamping that. I saw somewhere that originally they had a rooftop Gozer's temple map, but it never made it into the final version. I'd love to see that.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]