For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
The LA Times is reporting a estimated budget for the game:
On June 16, Atari will release the much-anticipated "Ghostbusters" title, which has taken on a mythical aura for gamers after years of delays, a budget north of $12 million and the number of times the property changed hands before landing at troubled Atari.
Source: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 2991.story

According to The-Numbers.com, the original movie's budget was $30 million (not including advertising) and Wikipedia says GBII's budget was $25 million.
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the game now has a facebook prescence with exclusive wallpaper:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic ... 7459345526
mr pecker wrote:I knew video games cost alot to produce, but yikes. Didn't expect it to be that much.

I bet half of that went to Murray. :sigh:
Well, let us put this into perspective, shall we?

Here are the top 10 most expensive games ever made:

1. Grand Theft Auto IV...................... $100 Million
2. Shenmue....................................... $70 Million
3. Too Human.................................... $80-$100 Million
4. Metal Gear Solid 4........................ $50-$70 Million
5. Halo 3............................................. $60 Million
6. APB MMO (unreleased)............... $50 Million
7. Tom Clancy MMO (unrelased).... $50 Million
8. Killzone 2........................................ $40 Million
9. Final Fantasy XII.............................$40 Million
10. Final Fantasy IX............................. $40 Million

Ghostbusters was a steal for $12 million! :cool:
And the license could really help sell a LOT of copies, so long as the gameplay is solid.
NR1 wrote: Well, let us put this into perspective, shall we?

Here are the top 10 most expensive games ever made:

1. Grand Theft Auto IV...................... $100 Million
2. Shenmue....................................... $70 Million
3. Too Human.................................... $80-$100 Million
4. Metal Gear Solid 4........................ $50-$70 Million
5. Halo 3............................................. $60 Million
6. APB MMO (unreleased)............... $50 Million
7. Tom Clancy MMO (unrelased).... $50 Million
8. Killzone 2........................................ $40 Million
9. Final Fantasy XII.............................$40 Million
10. Final Fantasy IX............................. $40 Million

Ghostbusters was a steal for $12 million! :cool:
That's crazy! I knew games were expensive but damn that's expensive!
That was their whole reasoning for upping the price to $60 bucks when the new consoles came out.

I thought that that whole "cover production costs" was just a big racket to charge us more but if you are consistantly spending that much to make a video game it becomes a little more understandable.
joegianco wrote:That was their whole reasoning for upping the price to $60 bucks when the new consoles came out.

I thought that that whole "cover production costs" was just a big racket to charge us more but if you are consistantly spending that much to make a video game it becomes a little more understandable.
I've been playing video games for a long time and I'm pretty sure they have always been $60.00, atleast from the PS2 era. I'm not 100% before then because I was too young to hold a job hence why my parents made the purchases for me.

In fact, when the wii came out, I was surprised that they were only priced between $40-$50.
mburkit wrote:
joegianco wrote:That was their whole reasoning for upping the price to $60 bucks when the new consoles came out.

I've been playing video games for a long time and I'm pretty sure they have always been $60.00, atleast from the PS2 era. I'm not 100% before then because I was too young to hold a job hence why my parents made the purchases for me.

In fact, when the wii came out, I was surprised that they were only priced between $40-$50.
Historically, video games in the United States on a disc-based (CD or DVD) console retail for $49.99. This has been the case for Playstation, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox, and Wii. Games on a cartridge-based console typically retailed for $59.99 (SNES, Genesis, N64, and perhaps even the NES). The added cost is associated with increased production costs for the cartridge.

Nowadays, game platforms that feature HD graphics (PS3 and X360) require additional development time and R&D (or so the story goes...) and developers pass the cost off to consumers with a $59.99 MSRP. Because the Wii does not feature HD graphics or use a new media format (blu-ray as is the case with PS3), most games for it have a $39.99 or $49.99 MSRP.

A quick look at the top 10 most expensive games ever made list kind of proves this point. Grand Theft Auto IV, Too Human, Metal Gear Solid 4, Halo 3, APB MMO, Tom Clancy MMO, and Killzone 2 are all HD next-generation console titles. The other games on the list are simply MASSIVE games that had very long production times. Shenmue took over 7 years to make!

Keep in mind though, video games are BIG business. Halo 3 made $170 MILLION in the United State alone on its first day! That's right, the game was profitable for Microsoft within hours of the the game's release!

This is what is so appealing to movie franchise owners about video games. You can spend $105 Million on a Pitch Black sequel (The Chronicles of Riddick) and just be crushed as the box office (the film barely made a profit even after DVD, pay-per-view, and 2nd run theaters), or you could reinvent the franchise as a game with a much smaller production budget (Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena) and make a larger profit much easier.

I think the makers of Terminator Salvation are going to find this out the hard way. That movie had a $200 MILLION budget and is tracking to finish out its worldwide box office run with something just south of $190 million. Ouch! That doesn't even take into account marketing costs.
They waste a lot of money for just the HD thing. It's very ridiculos. I bet that when they made NES, SNES, ATARI, and SEGA games for about 2 million or less. Especially in the early years of gaming. I'm betting that the first game ever made was with the use of $ 100. Although back then the games were different, but they didn't need big budgets(almost hollywood budget)to make it great. Just a great story and some good gameplay, with cool music. Look at Super Mario Bros. That game became a hit and it didn't have a lot money wasted. Sorry to get off topic, but I got angry and wanted to do my rant on big budget games. Sorry.
GHOSTBUSTERS # 1FAN wrote:They waste a lot of money for just the HD thing. It's very ridiculos. I bet that when they made NES, SNES, ATARI, and SEGA games for about 2 million or less. Especially in the early years of gaming. I'm betting that the first game ever made was with the use of $ 100. Although back then the games were different, but they didn't need big budgets(almost hollywood budget)to make it great. Just a great story and some good gameplay, with cool music. Look at Super Mario Bros. That game became a hit and it didn't have a lot money wasted. Sorry to get off topic, but I got angry and wanted to do my rant on big budget games. Sorry.

So...you are made that they spent the money to make realistic models of the actors and props and paid the original actors to reprise their roles?

Certain kinds of games require large budgets. Also you would be surprised what some of those old nes games cost to make if you take inflation into consideration. And taking inflation into consideration games actually cost less these days then they did for the NES and other early systems.
Wiggyof9 wrote:
Also you would be surprised what some of those old nes games cost to make if you take inflation into consideration.
Not to be rude or nothing but I have to disagree with you here.. Nintendo games were dirt cheap to make, and thats why no name developers got in on the whole NES franchise and made pitifully bad games like "Bible Challenges" and "The Adventures of Noah's Ark 3D" ..

Video games back then could be made by practically anybody who had the knowledge of how to make them and were being shot out ludicrously without thought as to how they would do.. The minds of programmers back then was basically .. "Wow.. this market looks like its flourishing! I wonder if I make random games they'll sell well just like everything else Nintendo puts out!"

Today its very much a huge industry and lots of thought, money, production costs etc go into making video games - Back in the Atari and NES era it wasn't so.. they were sucking money off people for making games which cost them very little in design and production costs.
To turn on AntiAliasing in the pc version, you can change the ini file:

Or edit the .ini file and turn AA on there.

Code:
[Graphics]
gamePIXX=1280
gamePIXY=1024
rendererDLLPath=tridx8tl.dll
firstTimeFlag=0
subtitleMode=0
currentBoard=0
gameBrightness=0.5
bumpMapFlag=1
textureDetail=1
wideScreenFlag=0
shadowMapDetail=1
softParticles=1
megaDamage=1
SSAO=0
shadowMaps=1
mirrorDetail=1
bookDetail=1
lockTo30Hz=0
lockTo60Hz=0
antiAliasMultipleX=2
antiAliasMultipleY=2

runWindowed=0
frapsMode=0
backBufferCount=1

Its located here %appdata% \local\GHOSTBUSTERS (tm)
Maybe some light at the end of our tunnel:

Over on the Atari forums, "Implausible" (noted as Administrator, Atari, Inc. Staff) posted the following:
Hey all,

I am working on getting some solutions together for the Xbox 360 Trophy's and the PS3 saves. I am trying to have something posted to for this by the end of the week (don't quote me on that). Thanks for your patience.
So maybe we'll finally get some support for this game after all.
Update from "Implausible" over on the Atari Forum:
If any of you who are having the PS3 Save issue, could you pm me? I am trying to collect details on systems, progress, how many accounts are on the PS3, and any trophy's you have claimed. The more details the better as I am trying to reproduce this 100%. I am looking into the 360 issues but the PS3 Save issue is a little more critical at the moment, but it will be addressed.
GhstbstrLMLIII wrote:Update from "Implausible" over on the Atari Forum:
If any of you who are having the PS3 Save issue, could you pm me? I am trying to collect details on systems, progress, how many accounts are on the PS3, and any trophy's you have claimed. The more details the better as I am trying to reproduce this 100%. I am looking into the 360 issues but the PS3 Save issue is a little more critical at the moment, but it will be addressed.
Heh, well if I had seen this earlier...
I had save issues, was annoying, having to always go back to the start...
I ended up leaving my system on 24/7.
Its fixed now though.

HAY!!
Whats this about pre-ordering?
I didnt get anything cool...
Pre-ordered mine from EB though. Hmm.
Guess they didnt have any promotions...
Don't worry Nicholszz, you haven't missed anything from Atari. Implausible has yet to come up with anything...at all! He updated a while back when there were a flurry of posts wanting an update because of the server change on the Atari forums and the complete silence after the chance-over. His update was "I have no update." And that was a while back and he has not responded to further posts or PMs from members over on the Atari forums. I have a feeling it was just a message put out originally to try and squelch all the complaints. Pitiful really. The game will be a year old next week. Hasn't been updated (well for everything but the PS3) since day 1.

As for the pre-order goodies - they were store specific. GBII suit - game stop, Ghoul/Mayor skins - Best Buy, and Gold Proton pack - walmart. I don't know for sure, but I don't think EB is a part of game stop, so they probably weren't ever sent games with a pre-order item.
twmedford23 wrote:Everything in the game looks great so far. Any word, though on any GB2 references? We know the game takes places 2 years after the events in that movie but I haven't seen anything yet regarding those events. It would be nice to hear or see a throwback to Vigo or the Mood Slime...
Well, does talking to the Vigo painting count? In the back of the firehouse you see the GB2 car door.
Loved it, really loved it.....i suppose my love of the film contributed to that though but meh

loved the story and all the new gadets etc, going into the buildings and not knowing what was coming...at times very dark! which was great......my only gripe was the length, could of gone on for a couple or more so scenes/levels, o and not being able to drive the ecto1! got excited at the part where they suggested the rookie drive, bit said "naahh!" lol right before the cemetary part, which was a fave.

had to sell my xbox due to financial reasons, if i hadnt id be playing it again!

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]