By gamera1968
I saw a similar thread for the Spirit ghost trap, since the Spirit PKE meter pre-orders are already shipping out. So I thought I'd start a new thread into regards to modding it. I plan on weathering mine and also maybe fixing some of the minor inaccuracies, once it arrives sometime this week. (Fed Ex says it'll arrive at my door by this Friday, Sept. 14th)

I'd also like to see what others may do, maybe even going as far as removing the clip or even rewiring the LEDs in the wings to have the correct light pattern.

IIRC it's 3,5,7,4,1,6,2.

So, please post away when the time comes. :)
NickFame13 liked this
By deadderek
Ordered the day they came out...STILL haven't received so much as a shipping notice...kinda pissed off atm tbh.
By BRD 527
I got an email saying my preorder PKE shipped last Thursday. What I'm not happy about having to pay separate shipping for every item I preordered ive already had to pay more than the 20% I supposedly saved and its really messing up my bank account.
By NickFame13
BRD 527 wrote: September 10th, 2018, 11:21 am What I'm not happy about having to pay separate shipping for every item I preordered ive already had to pay more than the 20% I supposedly saved and its really messing up my bank account.
I agree. Kinda confusing and disheartening.
By robandliv
A member of my team texted me this weekend. He said he took the back off to remove the belt clip and the PKE meter stopped working. I do not get mine in the mail until Friday, so not sure how to help him. Is there a way to remove the belt clip without taking the PKE apart?
By jreverhart
robandliv wrote: September 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm A member of my team texted me this weekend. He said he took the back off to remove the belt clip and the PKE meter stopped working. I do not get mine in the mail until Friday, so not sure how to help him. Is there a way to remove the belt clip without taking the PKE apart?
Howdy, there is a new post about take down of the Spirit PKE
http://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44734

My guess is when he took it apart he hit tugged a wire, forward him to that post to see if his looks different from the pictures posted. that should help.
Kingpin liked this
By deadderek
NickFame13 wrote: September 10th, 2018, 5:06 am They're still on preorder, expected to ship on or before 9/15. You won't receive notice until it's ready to ship.
Which is ridiculous considering they're showing up in stores.
By necrosapien87
deadderek wrote: September 12th, 2018, 6:24 pm
NickFame13 wrote: September 10th, 2018, 5:06 am They're still on preorder, expected to ship on or before 9/15. You won't receive notice until it's ready to ship.
Which is ridiculous considering they're showing up in stores.
Agreed, I just got mine today and I've seen youtube videos of people who just went into the store to get theirs and make their review. I don't think Spirit knows what a preorder is.
deadderek liked this
By gamera1968
Finally received my Spirit PKE. Not happy that it was mailed in an NON-PADDED envelope. :sigh:
The card back was bent and the bubble part where the wings go (for the 'try me' part) was slightly bent.

The good thing though is that it seems undamaged and works rather well.
Here are a few pics of 'before'. I'll post some more pics later on, once I weather it.

By BRD 527
I got mine today too also not thrilled about the packing job

I don't mind the belt clip that much it fits fine in my leather PKE holster so I'm most likely going to just leave it be
By gamera1968
One time wrote: September 13th, 2018, 6:17 pm Whats the biggest difference between this and the Matty version? (Apart from price obviously)
From what I've seen in some early reviews (mainly one from Ghostbusters News on Youtube) the handle is more oval-shaped on the Spirit PKE and you can't adjust the speed of the lights or sounds. I don't own a Matty PKE so those are the only differences I know of. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
One time liked this
By GhostyMcGee
One time wrote:Whats the biggest difference between this and the Matty version? (Apart from price obviously)
I could be wrong but I think the matty has a grid on the screen? I don’t believe the sh does?
By necrosapien87
One time wrote: September 13th, 2018, 6:17 pm Whats the biggest difference between this and the Matty version? (Apart from price obviously)
The handle on the Matty is more square and the Spirit is more round, though people who have held both say the handle on the spirit one feels better. The light patterns, can't link the Spirit one to a pair of ecto goggles, sound effects. Oh and the clip on the back
By NickFame13
Not liking the sounds on my meter. A link to the Goggles would be epic, though, with these models, that may not happen. As for the light pattern... Am I missing something? I think I'll go back and watch the movie to see what's up, but I didn't know anything was wrong there. Definitely would love a better screen.
By gamera1968
Here's a quick and dirty weathering of my Spirit PKE -
I did sand it with a high grit sandpaper to make it less glossy.

The silver craft paint I used is just from Michael's - I used a very thin brush to just touch up some of the more obvious edges. I also used a flat black craft paint and thin brush to paint the indentations inside the buttons. Looks a lot nicer to be honest.

The weathering took me maybe 15 minutes, including sanding it. I also had to take a slightly damp paper towel to remove the black dust the sanding made. :sigh:

Overall, I'm happier that it looks like its been well-used, much like my scratch built pack.

I also opened it up and removed the clip on the back. That took a few minutes extra since the screws are so small. There's a complete thread regarding the tear-down of the Spirit PKE, here in the PKE section.
(Sorry, too lazy to link it, but it does have a lot of detailed pics)

NickFame13, Kingpin liked this
By NickFame13
Danzrboy77 wrote: September 21st, 2018, 10:10 am I am hopeful that in the near future one of our more resourceful Ghostheads will scan the original back and fix that hole and offer a 3D printed replacement back panel. :sigh:
I have been thinking/wishing the same.
By hoodaman
robandliv wrote: September 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm A member of my team texted me this weekend. He said he took the back off to remove the belt clip and the PKE meter stopped working. I do not get mine in the mail until Friday, so not sure how to help him. Is there a way to remove the belt clip without taking the PKE apart?
did your buddy ever fix his meter? same thing happened to mine. I was delicate as possible taking it apart, removed the clip and reassembled it and now it doesn't function at all. I've checked all the solder points and they all look fine.

EDIT: well, I tried it this morning and everything was working. Not sure what the deal was with it. Upside is that at least I got the belt clip off it. Gonna put some new, good batteries in it soon and then give it a bit of weathering.

EDIT 2: so I think the screen on this thing needs some work so I've set out to fix it. I took some playdoh and smashed it onto the screen to get a really good, accurate imprint of the screen and then measured it. I recreated the screen size in photoshop and gave it a darker green background with lighter green grid lines on it and set it to about 80% opacity. I am having a page of clear decals printed to size and if it fits on my meter and looks good then I'll have a small run of screen decals I will sell if there is any interest.
By tb-1599
hoodaman wrote: September 27th, 2018, 8:45 pm
did your buddy ever fix his meter? same thing happened to mine. I was delicate as possible taking it apart, removed the clip and reassembled it and now it doesn't function at all. I've checked all the solder points and they all look fine.

EDIT: well, I tried it this morning and everything was working. Not sure what the deal was with it. Upside is that at least I got the belt clip off it. Gonna put some new, good batteries in it soon and then give it a bit of weathering.

EDIT 2: so I think the screen on this thing needs some work so I've set out to fix it. I took some playdoh and smashed it onto the screen to get a really good, accurate imprint of the screen and then measured it. I recreated the screen size in photoshop and gave it a darker green background with lighter green grid lines on it and set it to about 80% opacity. I am having a page of clear decals printed to size and if it fits on my meter and looks good then I'll have a small run of screen decals I will sell if there is any interest.
I am down....
By hoodaman
sweet. The delivery date on those is Oct 11. I'll post pics of my meter after applying the decal powered on and powered off so you guys can decide if you still want them.
NickFame13 liked this
By tb-1599
hoodaman wrote:sweet. The delivery date on those is Oct 11. I'll post pics of my meter after applying the decal powered on and powered off so you guys can decide if you still want them.
Cool. Hopefully I can get my hands on it before the 20th lol
NickFame13 liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]