I never understood why Matty felt the need to invent details and dimensions that are not on the original. The PKE was better than the trap but even that, like they could make the wings 70mm 110mm 130mm or any length. Why make them 136mm when the original was 960mm. Why change it?

Or the trap? Again, invented dimensions. Why make the cartridge recessed 4mm when the original protrudes 9mm. Why make the handle 143mm high when the original is exactly 115mm. (I'm giving these numbers as an example I don't have the Matty dimensions and the prop dimensions infront of me but know they are very different.)

Is it carelessness, is it incompetency, is it something else? They secure the rights by contractual decree with Universal. Well all these hero props still exist at Universal, it is not a total mystery or a Unicorn syndrome at all. The tolerances or differences between the (unbroken) hero props are minimal. Why not send a guy over with a tape measure once, why just invent dimensions, I never understood Matty's design and production process.

Hell if that is too much trouble (which I refuse to believe for a multi million dollar contract) why not just ASK the builders on this forum for dimensions. But no they decide to build a fantasy trap when there was no need to invent any length or size in mm.

Note I'm not saying why didn't you make it better, quality in materials or functionality is set for the price range. I'm saying why did you choose a fantasy size of a part instead of just simply choosing the actual size of a part. It's such a shame because there is no need for that mistake at all.
Yeah it really aggravates me the way the trap's cartridge recesses instead of protrudes. It's a great toy with great play features, I'd have had the time of my life with it as a kid. The problem is I'm not a kid anymore, nor is anyone it's being marketed to (hence the "adult collector" label they put all over their packaging). I'm too old to get distracted in the fun play features and not notice glaring inaccuracies. Do they even bother looking at the film before they make this stuff or do they just work off rough memory? Considering how badly they screw up the most obvious things on both their figures and props, I'm inclined to believe the latter.
Is Matty just a bunch of Chinese guys sitting in a room somewhere who know nothing about western popular culture or how does it work? I can't rationalize the invented dimensions any other way.
They simply don't care that much about accuracy. Keep in mind this is a toy company, and these guys have been doing it for many, MANY years. As long as it looks good to the eye, then they are happy and its approved, plain and simple.
The simulated effect in that video looks pretty different than what was shown at NYCC last year. I have to think that unless they deliberately made it look worse, it will actually be a lot smoother and better looking than the preview video shows. Not sure why that would be - you can see from my photos above that the Slimer effect wasn't so blocky and strange looking, like a still photo of the Matty toy.

But this is Mattel we're talking about, so I don't put anything past them. Who knows.
abaka wrote:The actual goggles look a lot better, judging by that video, the effects are terrible.
They don't really look any different from the last time we saw them, they still have the rather ugly "loops" added for the harness, the completely black lense is still too short and the thumbscrews too long.
Count me as among those who really wanted to see the goggles made.

Now that I've seen them... really that's pretty terrible. The goggles are arguably one of the simplest props to replicate, I'm not sure how they managed to make them so ugly.
As for the physical accuracy, these are pretty bad. It's tough to point out all the details from that video, but if you compare them to http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/10/ most of the issues are obvious; size, color, knobs, strap setup, lenses.

Also, if the YouTube video is demonstrative of the "effects," that's more disappointing than the hoverboard.
Kingpin wrote:
abaka wrote:The actual goggles look a lot better, judging by that video, the effects are terrible.
They don't really look any different from the last time we saw them, they still have the rather ugly "loops" added for the harness, the completely black lense is still too short and the thumbscrews too long.
I didn't notice the loops in this video, I was also referring to the pictures that came out when they were revealed. They look better than that in terms of hideous shade of green.
venkman30 wrote:I may have missed this but does anyone know if these are gonna be while supplies last or for subscribers only or will they be available like the pke meter?
I don't think anybody knows for sure how many are going to be sold, or if they'll be produced again after the initial run sells out. I know that, the day before they go on sale to the general public, they're available for purchase to anyone who subscribes to one of the Matty Collector lines. There's no subscription club for GB, the only options I know of are Masters of the Universe and DC. The Matty site says they're subject to selling out the day before the actual release. Who knows if they will, or if they'll produce more after that if they do sell out.
venkman30 wrote:I may have missed this but does anyone know if these are gonna be while supplies last or for subscribers only or will they be available like the pke meter?
They'll be for sale until they're not. Then they might be totally sold out. And then they might be for sale again, maybe cheaper, maybe not. That's the best you can get from Matty.
Donkey8012 liked this
The PKE was pretty damn close in accuracy. There were a few nit-picky differences and you'd have to own an Iona to even be able to tell. Even so, they took a huge shortcut on the sound for the PKE. All in all it was a small price to pay.

The trap was pretty great, but mostly because of the bells and whistles. In terms of accuracy it was off quite a bit, but many decided to overlook that because of all the trap's features. The large number of traps that were broken right out of the box was disturbing.

The goggles just aren't even close, and I'd rather they spent time, money, and energy on accuracy instead of electronics. They continued the trend of sacrificing accuracy and quality to add bells and whistles which ultimately are pointless. At least you can show off the ghost trap. You can walk up to people and make the PKE wings move and nearly convince them you are actually detecting ghosts. At the very least, it makes people smile. The animation in the goggles can't be seen by anyone but the wearer. And most people wear goggles on their head as a prop, not actually on their face, because you can't see out of the damn things well enough to walk. So what is the point of the ghost animations, exactly?

Too expensive to be a toy... too inaccurate to be a replica.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

I know very little about Five Nights at Freddy's […]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]