Borrowed some money from my brother and put together a frame out of PVC. Problem is, cant figure out how I'm going to attach it to the top of the pack.
I think I'm going to remove the straps and use Zips to the buckles on the bottom, which seems to be the common thought but I don't want to drill a hole through the side to attach the frame to the top half.
I'm toying with the idea of using the straps to just wrap around the top of the frame and then using a Zip to lock it so it doesn't slip.
I should mention that I intend to buy some wood next month and make a proper back as well as install pack electronics.
So the the solution doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to get through a few hours on Halloween.
Larger picture and Image of the lower section in the link. https://imgur.com/a/G7icn
I tried to size the frame to the pack so it isn't sticking out the sides, not sure how comfortable it will be in the end but the pack is light so it shouldn't be a problem as long as it is wide enough for the straps.
I've worked the bottom so that I can attach a piece of PVC with foam with cord, the red is just a stand in, I've got black around here somewhere, just needed to make sure it would work.
This way I can replace it with a proper pad in the future if I want and I can adjust the depth of the foam by cutting a slot into the PVC.

I did not add a bend to the top as I plan to attach it via the straps somehow, instead I've added a 2nd layer of foam which should provide a similar effect.
Not a bad work around.

I'll take some pics of my pack at some point this weekend showing how big the Matty wand looks next to it. Overall it doesn't look that goofy. The detail on the rifle is definitely scaled down.

The ribbon cable has got to go! First thing i'm changing out! (I feel if I breath on the ribbon cable wrong i'm going to end up breaking it.)

I have a sheet of metal i'm going to use to make a new mother board with. The foam and cardboard isn't going to stay. I can see it tearing on something quite easily.

If anyone want's to 3d print out some video game slime blower parts for the spirit pack I am most certainly interested.

I will be replacing the stickers as well.
Curious if someone could help here, I have the Spirit Pack and Matty Wand. I already got SpongeFace's MattyBlaster board and it works great, but I need a proper V-hook to match the Matty Wand. I naively bought the cheapest V-hook set on eBay, thinking it was a universal thing, but when I received the pair, they were much smaller and thinner. I can get the Matty Wand on it, but it slides halfway down the other half of the new one. Does anyone machine the proper pack-mounted V-Hook for the Matty Wand? I want to get the proper fit.
Mine arrived Tuesday, but I didn't get a chance to open it until tonight. It arrived without any broken bits and works fine. My cats were extremely interested in it so here's Minnow for scale.

I see it's out of stock again on the Spirit Halloween website. My shipping box has on it "#1661 out of 2690"--I'm wondering if that's all they had to ship? Also "ADULT ENTERTAINMENT ACCESSORY" made me nervous collecting it from Canada Post :-?
Sav C liked this
Got my switches in, drilled out the holes for them and they fit...mostly.
There's just enough room in the trigger box for the push button, had to trim down the Toggle to fit in there though, don't think I could have gotten it in there usable.
Going to finish sealing it up soon as I get my wire in, tomorrow, I think. Going to wire the Push Button in the Trigger Box to the trigger for the pack.
Some extra pictures with the switches in the trigger box, showing the space.
https://imgur.com/a/IMeI2
CountDeMonet wrote:those switches look like they fit nicely. Nice upgrade
Yeah, it's a shame the trigger box isn't a hair larger. When I say the Push button just fits I mean JUST.
As you can see, I had to bend the prongs sideways and I'll have to solder to the "bottom" of the contacts.
As it is the cutout section of the bottom of the box is going to be hotglued to the bottom of the button, I'll probably do some filling around the edge of that as well before I paint it.

Got the peg off this morning, wouldn't even need painting in the end if it wasn't for the trigger box.
Actually, you know what, I'm going to give a marker a shot on that filler, who knows.

Unfortunately, it's looking like Amazon is taking it's sweet time sending out my order, the board, LEDs and some wire...so basically everything.
Not sure if it'll be here in time.

EDIT: It worked, well good enough at least. I can skip the painting if I have to.
Covered the filler with marker, then took a qtip and rubbed in a circle to blend and buff.
Looks a little more dull than the surrounding but because I used the qtip it isn't very noticeable.
https://i.imgur.com/6VQeHRl.jpg
For anyone curious about a metal motherboard, I found a near-perfect solution at Home Depot for $10. It's a sheet of 0.20 thick steel, so not quite as a flexible and malleable as aluminum, but still thin enough to drill through easily. It's 12" wide, so it's got a little bit of overhang from the Spirit pack shell, but it's 24" long so plenty of length. I ended up using a grinder and cutting into a rough shape using a sharpie marker to outline the pack upside down on the sheet. I have to say, the grinder took forever as I didn't have a metal jigsaw and a reciprocating saw just bucked like crazy. I'd just recommend clamping it to a piece of wood around the same size, I had a sheet of plywood and it helped immensely to anchor the sheet in place to get more detailed with it. I think it came out great all things considered, this is my first pack so I'm proud of it!
It could be worse...

I got stuck with five proton packs!!!

All together I had eight!!!

So...

Now to modify all of them just for the fun of it; but each one I'm going to do it better...

https://twitter.com/magsteddy_inzo/stat ... 0556508160

These are not for sale... I'm going to modify one as the Cartoon version...

Then the other one as the video game version, a tactical fantasy version for ghosts that need to be exterminated, and another plain movie version...

:-D:-D
ProtonPack83 wrote:For anyone curious about a metal motherboard, I found a near-perfect solution at Home Depot for $10. It's a sheet of 0.20 thick steel, so not quite as a flexible and malleable as aluminum, but still thin enough to drill through easily. It's 12" wide, so it's got a little bit of overhang from the Spirit pack shell, but it's 24" long so plenty of length. I ended up using a grinder and cutting into a rough shape using a sharpie marker to outline the pack upside down on the sheet. I have to say, the grinder took forever as I didn't have a metal jigsaw and a reciprocating saw just bucked like crazy. I'd just recommend clamping it to a piece of wood around the same size, I had a sheet of plywood and it helped immensely to anchor the sheet in place to get more detailed with it. I think it came out great all things considered, this is my first pack so I'm proud of it!
I had no idea Home Depot sold sheet metal, thanks for the tip.
ProtonPack83 liked this
timeware wrote:Didn't notice the straps until you pointed them out. I cant wait to switch out the spirit packs wand for my matty rifle.. Ive only worn it a few times and already their wand wont stay in the peg hole. Without mods this thing will not survive a comic con.
I am probably going to switch to a v-hook eventually, but I found a quick easy upgrade for the peg-in-hole issue. I found super strong neodymium magnets at Ace Hardware. They are small and silver “buttons” measuring .472” diameter. With a little muscle, it will fit right into the peg. It fits tight enough to stay by itself, but I jammed it down just below the surface and applied some Gorilla epoxy over the top to seal it in. For the receiver end, I removed the square with the receiver “cone” and glued a small circle of plastic (cut out from the magnet packaging to the same diameter as the outer rim of the cone) to the top lip. From there the inner magnet has a resting place to glue onto. Be sure to install the magnets with attracting polarity. Let both pieces dry overnight being careful to set them up level.
Now it takes a little tug to release the wand and it’s definitely not falling out if I bump into something.
I am relatively new to the forum. Have not figured out how to post photos yet.
It's not very aesthetically pleasing, but it's a simple and reasonably strong method they've used, and it's not going to slide off by accident. I don't know if they even considered some form of V-hook in the design process, but it's likely if they did, they chose to reject it due to complications in manufacture/production costs.
I wore my Spirit proton pack last night to a Ghostly Gardens walking event at a local historic gardens and the wand didn't dislodge at all! And it was a lot of crowds, foliage, & movement. I didn't expect my order to arrive until after Hallowe'en so I didn’t bother buying an A.L.I.C.E. frame and just used it as is. I didn't get any good pictures of myself with it on but I loved the silhouette it gave me with shadows.
Doctor Venkman wrote:along with a Video Game version and an RGB version...
You officially have my interest.

Speaking of modding, I bought an LC-1 A.L.I.C.E. Pack from eBay which arrived today. I was going to put it on the Spirit Pack, but it's in such great condition it'll be going on my future fibreglass Pack instead... the older set of LC-1 straps and frame that I'd bought, which are in poorer condition, will now be going on my Spirit Pack - once they've been given a decent clean.

It feels damn good to get back into this stuff. :)
Doctor Venkman wrote:Holy crap that's amazing. I haven't started yet, but I'm hoping to do a nice upgrade like that, along with a Video Game version and an RGB version... just have to find some good sources to follow.

I definitely plan on making a Video Game Version Pack. Well the best I can since the Spirit Pack is 20% smaller. I already added the two brass rods (painted wooden rods actually) for the ion arm.

This build thread is the best I’ve found for a TVG Pack and MBURKIT did an insane job. Probably hard to find a more accurate build than his: viewtopic.php?t=26312
I haven't started modding my pack either, mostly due to lacking funds for parts at this time.

First on my list is an ALICE frame to make it more comfortable and to create and ease of access to the internals. MY other concern is a possible V-hook, I have one watched on Ebay that is compatible with the matty wand but I'm concerned with mounting it to the pack. My current intent is to unscrew that plate from where the current peg hold is and mount the hook there, but I'm concerned with it fitting.

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]