In what has already proven to be an interesting weekend of small tidbits leaking from the set of the new Ghostbusters adventure, from a faded advert of a familiar icon, to the name of the town, quite possibly the most exciting leak thus far (and the most obvious), was the first bit of filming featuring the distressed replica of Ecto-1, thanks to fan Wes Van Tighem and Jason Fitzsimmons at Ghostbusters News for snagging the exclusive clip.

Click below to check out the quick bit of on-set footage: Link

Edit: The clip has been taken down.
RedSpecial, twmedford23, Sav C and 2 others liked this
By Kingpin
TimsGhost wrote: August 7th, 2019, 5:42 pm So did Ecto-1A not exist? Is Ghostbusters2 not cannon anymore!? What a world...
In all likelihood Ecto-1A was reverted back to the Ecto-1 configuration in-universe in the timespan between the second and third films.
By 2GunsRacing
Cosmic-Riptide wrote: August 7th, 2019, 10:23 pm At the risk of sounding somewhat unhinged, I hope there's an in-movie explanation as to why the ladder is on the wrong side or the car. :sigh:
If you look at Ecto-1A the ladder isn't on the car at all. So im guessing in the 30 years that went by the boys went back to the Ecto 1 and just attached the ladder differently lol
By Cosmic-Riptide
2GunsRacing wrote: August 7th, 2019, 10:57 pm If you look at Ecto-1A the ladder isn't on the car at all. So im guessing in the 30 years that went by the boys went back to the Ecto 1 and just attached the ladder differently lol
The Ecto-1A has attachment points for a ladder (at least on the rack, not the body of the car) in the same place as the Ecto-1 (i.e. on the rear passenger side of the vehicle), but I don't support the idea that the Ecto-1 and the 1A are supposed to be the same car.

There are some unnecessary differences between the cars that, at the very least, don't make sense economically. Converting the 1A back to the E1 would be exponentially worse! Off the top of my head you'd have return the old hood and tailgate (or cut them up again to reinstall the louvers), replace the rear bumper, return the old whitewalls and Caddy hubs, rip out the reinforcement plates on the roof, fill all of the holes from the 1A equipment, re-drill holes for the E1 equipment, strip the decals, rewire everything, probably gut at least some of the interior, and reinstall any interior equipment that worked in conjunction with the exterior equipment. It would be a nightmare, and a monumental waste of money (though I suppose you could make the argument that the 1A's upgrades were at least partially a waste of money, but seeing as the Ghostbusters appear to be once again long disbanded, I have a hard time believing that they would have put in the effort following the events of GB2).
deadderek liked this
By below_radar_00
Cosmic-Riptide wrote: August 8th, 2019, 12:21 am
2GunsRacing wrote: August 7th, 2019, 10:57 pm If you look at Ecto-1A the ladder isn't on the car at all. So im guessing in the 30 years that went by the boys went back to the Ecto 1 and just attached the ladder differently lol
The Ecto-1A has attachment points for a ladder (at least on the rack, not the body of the car) in the same place as the Ecto-1 (i.e. on the rear passenger side of the vehicle), but I don't support the idea that the Ecto-1 and the 1A are supposed to be the same car.

There are some unnecessary differences between the cars that, at the very least, don't make sense economically. Converting the 1A back to the E1 would be exponentially worse! Off the top of my head you'd have return the old hood and tailgate (or cut them up again to reinstall the louvers), replace the rear bumper, return the old whitewalls and Caddy hubs, rip out the reinforcement plates on the roof, fill all of the holes from the 1A equipment, re-drill holes for the E1 equipment, strip the decals, rewire everything, probably gut at least some of the interior, and reinstall any interior equipment that worked in conjunction with the exterior equipment. It would be a nightmare, and a monumental waste of money (though I suppose you could make the argument that the 1A's upgrades were at least partially a waste of money, but seeing as the Ghostbusters appear to be once again long disbanded, I have a hard time believing that they would have put in the effort following the events of GB2).
This is something I've been thinking about a lot this week. What if GB2 doesn't exist in this sequel? We already know that GB deals with things like other dimensions and that ATC is set in another dimension so isn't it possible that this movie is set in a universe where GB happened but not GB2?

One thing that has struck me as odd since the original announcement of this movie is how Jason seems to only refer to the first movie when he talks about his sequel:

"However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film".

"We wanted to make a love letter to the original movie."

I thought I was reading into quotes like these too much but these leaked Ecto shots have me wondering. I love all three movies but nothing compares to the original for me so I would be game for something like this.
By robbritton
below_radar_00 wrote: August 8th, 2019, 10:20 am
Cosmic-Riptide wrote: August 8th, 2019, 12:21 am

This is something I've been thinking about a lot this week. What if GB2 doesn't exist in this sequel? We already know that GB deals with things like other dimensions and that ATC is set in another dimension so isn't it possible that this movie is set in a universe where GB happened but not GB2?

One thing that has struck me as odd since the original announcement of this movie is how Jason seems to only refer to the first movie when he talks about his sequel:

"However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film".

"We wanted to make a love letter to the original movie."

I thought I was reading into quotes like these too much but these leaked Ecto shots have me wondering. I love all three movies but nothing compares to the original for me so I would be game for something like this.
I wondered the same the other day, but I think his "This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day." quote reads fairly strongly that GB2 is still in there. It'd be weird to use the phrase 'original franchise' if it wasn't!
By Kingpin
While in real life, downgrading a heavily-customised car to a slightly-less customised car is time consume, expensive, and a hell of a lot of work... At the end of the day this is a movie about a bunch of guys who run around busting ghosts, such issues can't be easily brushed aside as part of the magic of the movie experience. Why can't we suspend the disbelief a little in accepting Ecto-1 became Ecto-1A, Ecto-1A became Ecto-1B, and Ecto-1B became Ecto-1? (Or Ecto-1 became Ecto-1A, Ecto-1A became Ecto-1 again, if the game isn't canon)

I'm confident they're not going to just erase Ghostbusters II from the new movie's timeline.
Glenn Frederick, wetops liked this
By Cosmic-Riptide
Kingpin wrote: August 8th, 2019, 3:32 pm I'm confident they're not going to just erase Ghostbusters II from the new movie's timeline.
I don't think they'll ignore GB2. I think they'll just make the E1 and 1A being two separate cars officially cannon. It's the easiest, most logical, way to explain it (especially if the E1 ends up still having the old gold and blue NY plates that were shown in the teaser... I think NY returning to the old gold and blue plates was a more recent thing, was it not... so technically, if this E1 was previously the 1A, it should still have the white Liberty style plates).

It would be easy enough to explain. The E1 had broken down but it had become iconic to the business, so they tracked down and bought another MM hearse. Ray couldn't stand to part with the E1, so it was stored in the barn of a family member to one of the Ghostbusters. The 1A was either later wrecked, or is simply just somewhere else (seeing as this film is out of state).

It could all be handled with a simple throwaway line.
deadderek liked this
By Cosmic-Riptide
Kid- "Didn't this car look different?"

Old Ghostbuster - "Mm the 1A. Sold her to a private collector in L.A. What was his name... sounded like a Hobbit's...? No no, THIS is the original!"
By Kingpin
Cosmic-Riptide wrote: August 9th, 2019, 1:48 pmIt's the easiest, most logical, way to explain it
I'm afraid I don't understand how that makes things easier. To suggest they had two cars is to suggest they went out of their way to go and buy yet another run down money pit that looked exactly like the first one, and fix it up rather than refurbish the one they already had.

I don't know if the film will offer an explanation for the 1980s plates, it probably won't, and doesn't need to (but if I had to spitball, maybe Ecto-1 was a museum piece at one point, or Ray got nostalgic).
By Fritz
As I've noted before, neither explanation for the ECTO-1/ECTO-1A relationship makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

Position 1: ECTO-1A was a separate car from ECTO-1.

Problem: They really got hold of a second car that was already rare and expensive in the late 80's?

Position 2: ECTO-1A was the same car as ECTO-1.

Problem: They really re-registered the car's plates just because they gave it a paint job and added some junk on the roof?

And neither idea is funny, either--just kind of random.

The GB2020 ECTO-1 would be a little easier to justify if it was a separate car, but three decades is a long time. :blush:
By Cosmic-Riptide
Kingpin wrote: August 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm
I'm afraid I don't understand how that makes things easier.
For the writers of the film, it's a simple explanation that doesn't require more than a second or two of dialogue, otherwise they're stuck with a massive continuity error to hurdle.

In universe, if the engine seized, or the block cracked, the car is bricked. You are looking at a total engine rebuild with parts that could be worth more than the entire car. In an instance like that buying a second car is considerably easier.

It's not out of the question. Sony bought three MMs, and a number of fans own one how many years later. And it's not like the Ghostbusters didn't have money to burn. They bought a pool table and replaced their arcade cabinets.
deadderek liked this
By Kingpin
Cosmic-Riptide wrote: August 9th, 2019, 4:19 pm For the writers of the film, it's a simple explanation that doesn't require more than a second or two of dialogue, otherwise they're stuck with a massive continuity error to hurdle.
That argument is just as valid when saying they're all the same car.
robbritton liked this
By robbritton
Fritz wrote: August 9th, 2019, 3:41 pm As I've noted before, neither explanation for the ECTO-1/ECTO-1A relationship makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

Position 1: ECTO-1A was a separate car from ECTO-1.

Problem: They really got hold of a second car that was already rare and expensive in the late 80's?

Position 2: ECTO-1A was the same car as ECTO-1.

Problem: They really re-registered the car's plates just because they gave it a paint job and added some junk on the roof?

And neither idea is funny, either--just kind of random.

The GB2020 ECTO-1 would be a little easier to justify if it was a separate car, but three decades is a long time. :blush:
I always felt that them rebranding Ecto 1 as Ecto 1A and adding a bunch of nonsense on the top for no real reason is just the sort of pointlessly ostentatious move Venkman would approve and therefore very in-keeping with the humour of the film. Remember that the shooting script had him pushing for gaudy uniforms to gain more publicity too!

Equally buying a second Caddy works by the same logic. It’s Venky overkill all the way!
By Cosmic-Riptide
Kingpin wrote: August 10th, 2019, 3:36 am That argument is just as valid when saying they're all the same car.
Maybe it's just easier for me to believe because it's been my head cannon for decades, and because it's literally what happened IRL: the studio just bought another car.

I always saw the 1A as an upgrade though. It's interior looks like a desk at mission control with a slight hint of mad scientist. Meanwhile, the interior of the E1 looks like a tent at a HAM radio festival.

If they confirm that this is the 1A, and the interior of this car ends up looking like the E1's, it will mean that they literally downgraded the equipment, which I will find hard to swallow (putting it lightly).

As a side note, keep in mind that the value of an MM will be different in their universe than ours. In our universe Ghostbusters is a cultural phenomenon, while in their's they tend to be treated as weirdos. So the demand and value of an MM will probably be considerably less (but that depends on whatever happened following Vigo).
By Kingpin
Cosmic-Riptide wrote: August 10th, 2019, 6:45 amAs a side note, keep in mind that the value of an MM will be different in their universe than ours.
$4,800 in 1984, not including all the repair work necessary to make it useable day-to-day, a figure Venkman balked at. And that's not including the customisation work.
By RichardLess
Kingpin wrote: August 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm
Cosmic-Riptide wrote: August 10th, 2019, 6:45 amAs a side note, keep in mind that the value of an MM will be different in their universe than ours.
$4,800 in 1984, not including all the repair work necessary to make it useable day-to-day, a figure Venkman balked at. And that's not including the customisation work.
A joke that's perhaps been lost to inflation unfortunately. Some people today maybe wouldn't understand that Ray, in his child-like Enthusiam, vastly overpaid for a lemon. It's adorable and I love that.

Ray thinks "4.800 AND I get to fix up the car? What a sucker!"
Cosmic-Riptide, Kingpin liked this
By Cosmic-Riptide
Kingpin wrote: August 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm $4,800 in 1984, not including all the repair work necessary to make it useable day-to-day, a figure Venkman balked at. And that's not including the customisation work.
KP, the Ghostbusters are notoriously bad with money (at least Ray is, at any rate). That's why there are two arcade cabinets and a pinball machine in the background when they're talking about being out of petty cash.

Ray over paid for the Ecto just because he wanted it, just as he bought the firehouse simply because he wanted it. That doesn't determine the Ecto's market value, it just establishes that Ray makes poor, impulsive, decisions.

But it's really not worth going back and forth over. I chimed in because the ladder is on the wrong side of the car (and at a glance the sniffer box looked too big) and I'm just tired of the Ectomobiles being treated like an afterthought.

I can accept the E1 becoming the 1A but not vice versa.
Last edited by Cosmic-Riptide on August 10th, 2019, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While I’ve always been of the school of thought that the Ecto-1 and 1A are the same vehicle, it’s possible that they acquired a second ‘59 MM in the early 90s and installed the old roof rack on it in order to have two serviceable Ectomobiles.

There’s even a line in the GB1 novelization by Richard Mueller in which Venkman is considering finding a second ambulance in order to keep up with their workload.
Cosmic-Riptide liked this
There is plenty of speculation and theories we can fling out there. If it is the 1A or the 1 or if it was the 1a downgraded back to more of the 1. All I know is I am more than happy to see the ol' girl back on the streets hunting for ghosts.
By GBfan4life88
RichardLess wrote: August 10th, 2019, 2:12 pm
Kingpin wrote: August 10th, 2019, 12:20 pm

A joke that's perhaps been lost to inflation unfortunately. Some people today maybe wouldn't understand that Ray, in his child-like Enthusiam, vastly overpaid for a lemon. It's adorable and I love that.

Ray thinks "4.800 AND I get to fix up the car? What a sucker!"
Adjusted for inflation, Ray paid roughly $10,000USD for Ecto in its beat up state, not including the work that needed to be done. I find it amazing what they were willing to pay for and what they weren't. since ecto cost so much for the initial investment, plus everything else that went into it to pinball and arcade machines, yet they were only willing to pay poor Winston $11,500 a year...
I'm a stickler for detail but if I'm honest GB2 , entertaining as it was, flopped for a reason.

Changing the logo to a 2, the kid friendliness, no innovation, etc.

I say just use the Ecto-1, or by the end of the movie the Ecto-1c probably with minor subtle differences, just let it be.

Where the ladder is supposed to be or the logo sizes, etc. really make next to no difference to a movie.
I think they should go the way of GBTVG; acknowledge GB2 briefly, but don't dwell on it.

Treat GB2 like a less significant subset of GB1984. The same way most fans treat it if I'm honest.

I still can't believe we are getting a proper GB 1984 sequel.

We (and I) have been waiting 36 years.
slaysghosts wrote: August 13th, 2019, 9:14 pmWhile we're at it, the car in the vid/pic hasn't had it's windows tinted w/ the non tinted stripe in the middle either.
The window tinting is there, it’s just meant to look dry-rotted and peeling off; definitely a nice touch to show the wear and tear on the car. :)
Kingpin liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]