Write a quick introduction to introduce yourself.
Hi Everyone,

Raymund here. I joined 2 days ago after Google directed me here while I was researching proton pack building. I've always enjoyed Ghostbusters as a kid - I loved the first movie, liked the second, and enjoyed the cartoons. I grew up on Star Wars though, and have been collecting Star Wars action figures, props, and statues for years. When Disney took ownership of the franchise, I felt like the change didn't appeal to me as much as it previously did, and I my Star Wars collecting habits died down. I still like it overall, but not as a super-fan anymore.

When I first saw the trailer for Ghostbusters: Afterlife, I felt a wave of nostalgia and it got me back to being actively interested. Not long after seeing that trailer and re-watching the first movie in 4K and watching the trailer again, I found myself catching up on news related to Ghostbusters merchandise. Since last year, I have accumulated a small collection: a Hot Wheels Elite Ecto-1, a complete set of Diamond Select figures that each came with a diorama piece, the newer Hasbro Plasma Series line of figures, and the Spirit Halloween props that I'm planning to modify with various upgrade kits to make them look decent enough to wear at conventions (or walk around in while trick-or-treating).

So that's my story so far. I'm glad I found this group. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to reading the various threads of the forum to help me get caught up with Ghostbusters stuff.
I was a big GB fan when I was a kid and I was a huge Star Wars nut in high school and into my early 20's then just sorta fell out with it and some friends in college and I were all video production majors and made a GB fan film so that reignited my GB love and here we are. Star Wars is exhausting anymore
The two have often tagged in and out in my life.

Star Wars was my big obsession from '77 until '83, and then with no new movies coming out, even the toy line kinda petered out.

Then Ghostbusters came out in '84 and it was like a nice 'nicotine patch'... it was a movie series, a cartoon, a comic book, a Kenner toy line... gee, now why does that sound so familiar?

Ghostbusters goes strong until '89, then it too begins to wane. I finished college, got married, bought a house, etc.

1995, they started bringing out new Star Wars merch with the POTF2 line, and made more than ever before.

1996, Shadows of the Empire blitz, basically a big movie marketing push except no movie. Also in 1996, my wife skips out on me and we get divorced.

1997, Special Edition Original Trilogy back on the big screen. Had to go see it dateless.

1998, my second wife and I went to the Star Wars: Magic of Myth exhibition at the Smithsonian in DC one month before the birth of my first son.

1999, 2002, 2005, prequel movies. Also 2002, birth of second son.

2007, I wrote an article for Star Wars Insider about the original Star Tours. Also took the kids to Walt Disney World for the first time (cough, business expense, cough). Went back in 2010 because Star Wars Celebration was in Orlando and they had a special event night at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the Celebration attendees to witness the 'Last Tour to Endor'.

Also in 2010, I began my YouTube channel under the name 'LextheRobot'; the original videos were all Star Tours-related.

Then, 2011, I got back into Ghostbusters in a major way. The Mattel PKE Meter reignited my desire for a decent movie-style flightsuit and gear. I began assembling all the pieces and within two years had finished my proton pack.

Ghostbusters again took primary focus, this time lasting a full decade. My YouTube channel became primarily GB-content, with a big uptick in subscribership. My sons and I appeared in a Ghostbusters documentary.

And guess what I've just done? I just hauled out my vintage Kenner Star Wars figures and started a new video series about those.

Blame it on the Mandalorian, I guess.

;)

Alex
Raymund liked this
Hi Fritz,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Cool artwork! this is one of the scenes I liked in the movie - Winston getting hired mid-interview and immediately asked to start working.

Hi DarkSpectre,

Fan films sound like a lot of fun! and yes, I feel that my enjoyment of Star Wars isn't like what it used to. The last trilogy didn't feel like Star Wars at all to be honest, and it affected my collecting habits (which might be a good thing, because I'm actually able to save now).

Hi tk1495,

Your username sounds like you're from the 501st. I'm a big fan, always was, and still am (of the group I mean). I always wanted to have my own stormtrooper armor, but I'm kind of a little short to be one.

Hi Alex Newborn,

Thanks for sharing your story. I honestly enjoyed reading it. Much like you, pop culture (primarily Star Wars) has been part of me my whole life. I started seriously collecting only after college, when I started earning disposable income, and have been collecting for years. Thankfully, the collection hasn't gotten out of hand, and has been kept streamlined and focused on specific lines. Recently however, I had to make space on a shelf of our toy storage room in the house for Ghostbusters stuff. I'm starting a Spirit Pack upgrade project with the help of a really awesome gentleman named Doug (Spongeface, which is how I ended up joining this message board).

I'm really enjoying catching up with all the material that has been posted here, specifically related to prop building. I'll read up on collectibles next, maybe after I finish the proton pack upgrade. Hopefully soon.
tk1495 wrote: September 7th, 2021, 4:07 pm
DarkSpectre wrote: September 7th, 2021, 9:06 am Star Wars is exhausting anymore
Was so much better when it was a "smaller" fandom!

Welcome!
Tell me about it Rob. you realize I completely resigned from the 501st? I got rid of all my Imperial costumes and walked away. I am still a member of the Rebel Legion, but that is in the air as well... I just want to have fun

I hope you find your happy place Raymund...

I used to be into Star Wars, then the fandom changed and I lost interest.
Happy Star Trek day! Image

My Instagram is @Porkins_red_six[/u] and my Twitter is @Porkins if you want to check out the other stuff I do as well.
Last edited by hawkbatsquadron on September 12th, 2021, 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he […]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]