We went wreath shopping, and found a cool red/green one that was only $6.. and we had a brainstorm! Make a Ghost and slash to add to the wreath!
We ran with that idea, and picked up stuff to make it. While we were tinkering with it, we tried multicolor multifuntion lights, but they were too gaudy, so we replaced them with steady on red lights.
I was going to make the ghost from insulation foam, using my orbital sander to form the edges, but then we ran into a design issue: the body goes "in" but the arms and head are 3 inches further foreward, and foam doesn't bend!
I toyed with a multi layer foam ghost, but that just didn't seem right.
In the mean time, I measured the wreath, and printed out a proper sized ghost, using photoshop.. 22" from finger tip to finger tip.
We laid that down on the wrath, to get an idea of what he'd look like:
After trying to come up with different ways to do the ghost, we finally settled on making him a plush, with wires inside to pose the head and hands properly on the wreath. Teamhair cut out the felt for the front and back, but while I was picking up fabric paint, was a slacker, and didn't sew him together on the sewing machine. (We were just going to use leftover fake smoking trap polyfill to fill him at that point.
I came back home, and bitched at her, stressing about getting it done in time for the parade... turns out though, it was a karma thing. Yeah, I'm a pain in the @$$ sometimes.. LOL!
The next day, I had another brainstorm! Put led lights inside the ghost, so he'd also light up! I picked up sheet polyfill batting, and cut that slightly smaller then the felt shape. (3 layers)
I used the fabric paint painter to add the face and some of the insert details. while that was drying, I duck taped down the led lights to the batting, working around the ghost. We replaced a few of the white lights with blue lights to add some interest to Mr. Ghost.
Teamhair then spent 3 hours sewing the damned thing together. Hes not finished yet, needing his black edge line art, the slash needs to be properly attached, and the ghost still needs attaching, but here's some of his wip images so far:
A test to see how the lights would shne through the felt and batting
A test to see how the ghost would look with the wreath lit, and lit himself.
Our current progress, with the ghost sewing done.
Gareee's Gozer Rooftop Minimate Playset: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 37&t=15783
Gareee's Life Sized Samhain: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =7&t=27466
Gareee's Trap builds: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =3&t=15566