This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By poohsan
I know there are already a few great Omni cover reproductions out there but does anyone have a high res image of the the cover or the base image they would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance!
Luke Smith liked this
By One time
This is the highest resolution I've found of the actual screen used prop:

I've heard that the person who owns the prop doesn't want others to have high res scans.

The highest resolution reproduction I know of is this one:

I believe it is the same proton pack image as the original but the image has been extracted out (masked). You can see it lacks the orange "flare/glow" behind the proton pack. In addition to that, the fonts have been recreated. You can tell because the "Tools of the trade" caption features a false smoke background, it's missing the year (1984), the dollar sign and the bargraph are different.

It's the same proton pack image though, which is hard to explain.
By One time
poohsan wrote: November 12th, 2018, 9:56 pm Thanks One time.

I'm curious where the the source image of the second image came from.
It's probably that the prop owner felt guilty and decided that prop makers deserved to see the pack in the image in high detail.

Not wanting people to simply print out high res versions of the cover itself and have the same image, he or she probably decided to mask out just the pack (from the original prop scan) and release it.

Someone else probably used the mask to recreate the original cover (poorly).
By deadderek
It pisses me off to no end that in our (and many other) fandoms that these pricks exist that won't let others have pics/measurements.

Oh noes like it makes theirs less special than a reproduction. :O
NotSabbat liked this
By Kingpin
In this case though there is some grounds to be a bit lenient on the person who owns the cover, as there is always the chance that with there being a high-resolution version of the whole cover out there, someone could take it upon themself to use it to sell forgeries.
NotSabbat liked this
By One time
Kingpin wrote: November 18th, 2018, 3:52 pm In this case though there is some grounds to be a bit lenient on the person who owns the cover, as there is always the chance that with there being a high-resolution version of the whole cover out there, someone could take it upon themself to use it to sell forgeries.
Exactly,

At least in this case the owner was apparently kind enough to share the proton pack part of the image in very high detail.
By Kingpin
JTysonLambert wrote: November 19th, 2018, 7:49 am Original cover.
Actually, that's a reproduction as well - the lowest portion of the Pack is hidden by the fog just like the cover with the poorer-quality OMNI logo. It's also got a small logo and serial number above the OMNI lettering that isn't present on the screen cap from the movie.
deadderek liked this
By Alex Newborn
I'm a firm believer in not 'reinventing the wheel' when it can be avoided.

In this case, I am of the opinion that the best version of this project has already been done.

I don't know if he has them currently in stock, but check out Mack's Factory on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/macksfactory/

Arron Mack offered an Omni Cover reproduction that was fantastic quality. He even scanned the real back cover and inside front/back covers of the actual October 1984 issue of Omni, and those are present in the folded print in case you want to track down an issue of Omni and wrap the phony cover around it.

And if you're looking for other newspaper covers from the montage scene, I recommend the ones by Paul Clark. You can find him on Facebook too. He just posted a couple of days ago in the Ghostbusters Franchises Worldwide group about having some copies left from his most recent run.

A video from last month on my latest acquisitions for 'montage covers'.

Alex
By abritinthebay
That's very cool. Unfortunately the background color appears to be solid red, which is... wrong. Odd that he fixed the missing parts of the proton back and not that. I've thought about doing something similar to that myself.

(note: that's no slight on Mack, I absolutely love his work--and logo--and the attention to detail his gear has. Which is why the omission is so surprising)
By Alex Newborn
I seem to remember someone asking about that on Facebook at some point. I can't find the question and exact response, but it had something to do with the source of the image being used.

And in the description, he does make this notation.

"DETAILS
- An idealized version of the prop.
- Worked from a 1:1 scanned image of the actual prop without removing fine details."

Now, I've never seen the original prop personally.

But is the lighter area in the film image possibly a highlight from re-photographing the physical prop? A glare on the hand-made, mocked-up cover, in other words?

Alex
By abritinthebay
Nope - it's distributed only over the red background and not on the proton pack itself. No color or luminescence shift.

Now it's quite possible he thought his source image was from a scanned prop (I've seen people make the same claim of that image) but it's clearly... not.

To add to that - there's also clipping of the pack where the original masked proton pack image was poorly magic lasso'd in photoshop that's consistent with the version above. The pack itself WAS scanned from the original prop, so that's probably where that idea comes from. The rest is not.

I actually spent some time fixing the poorly masked bits in my version above.
By One time
abritinthebay wrote: January 15th, 2020, 9:01 pm Nope - it's distributed only over the red background and not on the proton pack itself. No color or luminescence shift.
Are you sure about this?

It would mean that a light was placed behind the proton pack (in between the pack and the red background) to just light a hotspot on the background.

If the light had been placed behind the camera (and was lighting the pack and the background) you would see shadows on the background.

Or it was painted on the background, that’s also a possibility of course.

It seems a lot of trouble to go through just to put a hotspot on that red background.
Last edited by One time on January 25th, 2020, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By One time
ZedR wrote: January 25th, 2020, 9:40 am
Got the original in my collection
Thanks for posting :) So funny to see that the text is just cut out letters!

Can you confirm whether the background is a single color or has a hotspot on it like we were trying to figure out above?
By One time
ZedR wrote: January 26th, 2020, 2:56 am Definitely not a single color
Thanks!

It's so cool that you have that. Where and how did you get it? And do you have more GB props?
By abritinthebay
ZedR wrote: January 25th, 2020, 9:40 am Got the original in my collection
Niiiiiiiice. I have a few original props in my possession but nothing that nice or iconic. Don't suppose you'd be willing to take a nice, close straight on photo for the rest of us mere mortals? ;)
One time wrote: January 25th, 2020, 6:16 am It seems a lot of trouble to go through just to put a hotspot on that red background.
It's probably just a hotspot on the red/orange background from the spotlight they're using to light the pack from above (you can see from the highlights it's being lit from above as well as the generic fill used for the regular illumination). That kind of look tho was pretty common in magazine photography - it's just a lit background, not much effort at all tbh.
One time wrote: January 25th, 2020, 10:58 pm So funny to see that the text is just cut out letters!
Probably how they actually did the covers back in the 80s tbh - a lot of letter-setting was vinyl cutouts pre-desktop publishing software.
ZedR wrote: January 26th, 2020, 2:56 am Definitely not a single color
:crunch:

But seriously, any chance of that straight on photo? ;)
One time liked this
By abritinthebay
Holy crap I just realized that the animatronic head just below that is probably the original Mr Stay Puft head armature.

NICE one sir. Respect.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]