Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
I contacted my local comic shop and asked if they would be getting any subscription covers and he said he wasn't aware of this crossover and because the Ghostbusters series is being cancelled, they are less likely to order as many issues. :(
SPJ liked this
I know of two comic book stores near me. One is run by two deaf people who've never quite gotten around to giving me an actual "pull list" or sending me e-mails when my new issues come in or pulling sub comics or ANYTHING...and I have a hard time asking them why, for obvious reasons.

BUT they do have the book + sub covers sitting on their shelves, so I've been able to just pick them up and walk out of the store. I don't care much as long as I get my comics.

The other one didn't even seem to know there WAS a Ghostbusters comic book, despite it's large collection of IDW stuff. Or at least, when I asked them if they had it, they looked at me like I had two heads and said, "No, we don't have any of that. We don't carry it." Me: "Well...can you order it?" Him: "Well... maybe if you talk to the owner. He'll be here after six." (it was 1pm).

So THEY clearly didn't want my money. Oh well.

Plan B is always Amazon. But I'd like to support local business first, if I possibly can. I'll GET that Turtles comic, mark my words...
*NormalGamer* wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote:Star Wars! :lol: Wow, Star Wars, Ninja Turtles and GB together, that would be cool.
I was gonna say Transformers as my third guess
This image is relevant: :cool: (http://t-rexjones.deviantart.com/art/Gh ... -178524327) Courtesy of Tristan Jones. And yes, it's to go along with a Tobins Spirit Guide entry. I'm still sad that book never got made...
TristanJones wrote:If you've got a standing order and you tell them that you want that cover, they pretty much HAVE to do it. I'm shocked that they weren't aware. Does he not look at the magazine ALL retailers get? The ones they actually ORDER their stock from? :(
Hmm...good question. I guess I don't actually have a standing order. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'm a comic newbie. I just go in every month and pick up the latest issue.
M.Thunder wrote: This image is relevant: :cool: (http://t-rexjones.deviantart.com/art/Gh ... -178524327) Courtesy of Tristan Jones. And yes, it's to go along with a Tobins Spirit Guide entry. I'm still sad that book never got made...
Yeah, it's dead in the water unfortunately. I found out who actually had the rights to do it, and we looked at doing it, but they couldn't make it happen. Same sort of thing with IDW. To do it properly would cost more than it's likely to make back. It's just too niche a product.
Halloween Undead wrote: Hmm...good question. I guess I don't actually have a standing order. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'm a comic newbie. I just go in every month and pick up the latest issue.
Yeah, that's important. It's pretty much what keeps comics like this alive, so if there are comics you want. Go in and tell them you want to start a standing order. That was pretty much the only way people could get any of my RGB covers unless they had a really good (or alternatively, weirdly organised) shop.
SPJ liked this
TristanJones wrote:
M.Thunder wrote: This image is relevant: :cool: (http://t-rexjones.deviantart.com/art/Gh ... -178524327) Courtesy of Tristan Jones. And yes, it's to go along with a Tobins Spirit Guide entry. I'm still sad that book never got made...
Yeah, it's dead in the water unfortunately. I found out who actually had the rights to do it, and we looked at doing it, but they couldn't make it happen. Same sort of thing with IDW. To do it properly would cost more than it's likely to make back. It's just too niche a product.
Halloween Undead wrote: Hmm...good question. I guess I don't actually have a standing order. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'm a comic newbie. I just go in every month and pick up the latest issue.
Yeah, that's important. It's pretty much what keeps comics like this alive, so if there are comics you want. Go in and tell them you want to start a standing order. That was pretty much the only way people could get any of my RGB covers unless they had a really good (or alternatively, weirdly organised) shop.
Interesting. Yeah, I was actually able to snag a few of your RGB covers. I just called and asked if they'd be able to reserve any for me. It seems like the series sold well for them. Once or twice, they sold out before I even got to the store on the day of release. I ended up having to drive to another shop on the other side of town. I'm kinda surprised the clerk never mentioned a standing order since I came in every month and he put several incentive/alternative covers on hold for me.
TristanJones wrote:Yeah, having a standing order pretty much guarantees you'll get what you want and it also helps keep our sales figures up. Which are pretty much what keeps comics alive.
I'm no expert but considering the many different ways people consume their comics, that does not seem like the most efficient way to do it... I mean, it measures things by how many people have already said they want the comic, not how many will actually buy it. And it doesn't allow for any kind of trial period. What if you pick up a comic randomly, read a few issues, think it's ok but aren't sure if you want to keep reading?

I feel like there's gotta be a better way to do it somehow.
Just tell them to take it off your list. Don't overthink everything.

Tristan is right. It helps stores know how many are sold on day 1 and then they order their shelf copies. It's not like it's set in stone forever.
M.Thunder wrote:
TristanJones wrote:Yeah, having a standing order pretty much guarantees you'll get what you want and it also helps keep our sales figures up. Which are pretty much what keeps comics alive.
I'm no expert but considering the many different ways people consume their comics, that does not seem like the most efficient way to do it... I mean, it measures things by how many people have already said they want the comic, not how many will actually buy it. And it doesn't allow for any kind of trial period. What if you pick up a comic randomly, read a few issues, think it's ok but aren't sure if you want to keep reading?

I feel like there's gotta be a better way to do it somehow.
I've been in comics since 2006 professionally and worked with a bunch of publishers. I can pretty much promise you that's how it goes. I HONESTLY wish there was a better way, but this is roughly how it works...

Shops will generally order a certain number of comics to put on their shelves regardless of how many people are ordering the comic for their standing orders (assuming they know about it/read the order catalog Diamond puts out), so that's one set of orders that that particular shop is probably going to carry. Then there are X many customers who buy the book regularly, who have it on their standing order, that adds to the number of books that the shop carries normally. If you're buying the comic having it on a standing order tells publishers in advance how many units of the comic need to be printed, because the orders for standing orders (and whatever the shop wants to put on the shelves) go in to the distributor 2 months ahead of release. So, the shop is going to put in X many orders they keep on the shelves regularly, and then one or however many the customer wants for each standing order. The shops are going to order pretty much the same numbers for their shop shelves each time (unless, obviously, there's no interest in the book in that shop), so if those people buying the comic each month off the shelves actually start a standing order, then the shops are going to add another standing order to their list as well as whatever they put on the shelves regularly.

It might not seem like much, but if this happens each time and a heap of different shops, then the numbers go up, rather than plateauing because people who don't have it on their standing orders are just buying it off the shelves.

Digital sales and re-orders and all those things certainly add up, but digital was worth the investment, we probably would've had the RGB digital series Tom and I were pushing for last year and there'd probably be a bigger push on the digital sales, but at the end of the day, the biggest focus is on the monthly comic book. There's a bit more to it all, but the core chunk above is pretty much it. It's not a lifelong commitment. If you don't like a book you just tell your shop to take it off the standing order. Day 1 sales aren't the be all and end all, you're right, but they're pretty high up there and really, it doesn't take ANY time or effort to set up a standing order if you're already going into a shop to get it off the shelves. And this way, it guarantees you'll get it and perhaps even the cover variation you want (assuming there is one).
mrmichaelt, SPJ, M.Thunder liked this
TristanJones wrote:Tried. Were going to. Couldn't find traction. Would've been digital first/only. It's why I ended up doing RGB covers.
I see. It's a shame it wasn't greenlit. Along with all your other known GB and Tobin pitches. :(
SPJ liked this
mrmichaelt wrote:
TristanJones wrote:Tried. Were going to. Couldn't find traction. Would've been digital first/only. It's why I ended up doing RGB covers.
I see. It's a shame it wasn't greenlit. Along with all your other known GB and Tobin pitches. :(
I'll drink to that.
Tristan Jones posted his cover for TMNT/GB #2 and it will be an Artist's Edition variant.
https://twitter.com/TRexJones/status/499944870123819008
http://www.comicosity.com/artists-editi ... -november/
Oh that is awesome.
November 2014 solicits are out.

Synopsis and regular cover for TMNT/GB #2 has been posted.
http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/7 ... =SEP140418
The Turtles are stuck in the Ghostbusters dimension... along with a brand-new, all-powerful, all-crazy ghost from centuries past! The two teams will have to act fast to save the day, but what happens when Casey Jones becomes possessed?
Uh, slime him?
PssdffJay wrote:Who of us didn't have collaborative battles involving out real ghostbusters toys and tmnt toys? This is going to be good!.
It's a crossover that my head says just shouldn't work, but my heart says "STFU, head! This is my main two childhood fandoms combined!"
Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote:Uh, slime him?
This? Unless we're going to see more slime-resistant possessions, like Zinz and Vuul. In which case we'll need two traps, each set to a different frequency.... or we're going to need better slime. Or to just abandon the slime entirely, if too many creatures turn up who are immune to it's effects.
So anyonone recognize the shadow of the villain on the cover?
M.Thunder wrote:This? Unless we're going to see more slime-resistant possessions, like Zinz and Vuul. In which case we'll need two traps, each set to a different frequency.... or we're going to need better slime. Or to just abandon the slime entirely, if too many creatures turn up who are immune to it's effects.
I'm hoping there's a line eventually where someone jokingly mentions how the green variant in The Video Game was way more reliable.
Just pre-ordered my copy of the first issue today. Cannot wait to read it, I finally got read some of the IDW TMNT comics and I really enjoyed them.

Between this and getting both movies on Blu Ray, this fall is shaping up be a great time to a Ghostbusters fan.
Peter Venkman Jr. wrote:Just pre-ordered my copy of the first issue today. Cannot wait to read it, I finally got read some of the IDW TMNT comics and I really enjoyed them.

Between this and getting both movies on Blu Ray, this fall is shaping up be a great time to a Ghostbusters fan.
Good for you. Really looking forward to reading the TMNT/GB crossover. ^_^
By mrmichaelt
Turns out in addition to the Regular, Subscription and RI covers, there will be at least one Retailer Exclusive and two Con Exclusive covers.

The first, the RE is a glow in the dark offered by Heroes' Haven in Tampa. Art by Ozzy Fernandez and Tony Kordos. It's $10 and $3 shipping. You can pre-order it now. There's 1000 copies total and 430 left in stock.
http://store.heroeshavencomics.com/hero ... -sale.html

The second will be a little harder. It's going to at Virginia Comic Con in November 22-23, 2014 at the Richmond International Raceway, 602 E Laburnum Ave, Richmond, VA 23222. The cover is by Matt Slay. The red foil logo edition is limited to 1,000 copies, and the gold foil logo edition is limited to only 250 copies. Those going to the con who buy tickets online get them first. 'VIP' can advance order up to five copies of the red foil edition. Mega VIP will receive one of each.
http://vacomicon.com/2-day-show-2014/2- ... xclusives/
By mrmichaelt
December solicits are out.

Issue #3:
Time is running out for the Turtles to get home, and a new villain is determined to make life as difficult as possible for the Ghostbusters! The two teams will have to think outside of the box to save themselves... and New York!
The cover also appears to give away who the villain is. And the subscription cover is by Cory Smith.
http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/7 ... =OCT140465
http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/7 ... =OCT140466
January 2015 solicit is out

Issue #4
The supernaturally awesome conclusion to the blockbuster crossover is here! Ghostly forces converge on the Ghostbusters HQ, and the Turtles' opportunity to get back home is fast dwindling! The two teams' last-ditch efforts may come too late!
Subscription cover by Robert Atkins.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/7 ... =NOV140473
http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/7 ... =NOV140474
By keoni
mrmichaelt wrote:Turns out in addition to the Regular, Subscription and RI covers, there will be at least one Retailer Exclusive and two Con Exclusive covers.

The first, the RE is a glow in the dark offered by Heroes' Haven in Tampa. Art by Ozzy Fernandez and Tony Kordos. It's $10 and $3 shipping. You can pre-order it now. There's 1000 copies total and 430 left in stock.
http://store.heroeshavencomics.com/hero ... -sale.html

Thanks mrmichaelt for posting this!

FYI, Heroe's Haven still has these available. I just ordered one
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he does[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]