Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By groschopf
Looks like Peter gave Mikey the shirt -- er, jumpsuit off his back.

Guess a ninja turtle would look like a nudist in a dimension of clothed animals.
This Post Contains Spoilers
By mrmichaelt
TMNT/GB 2 #2

Main story
Turtles got a lot of free therapy this issue. If I was a longtime reader of the TMNT comics, I think this issue would have been more rewarding and enriching. But instead I did a lot of looking up, lol.

I'm was surprised and concerned the plan was to just teleport the Collectors into the Containment Unit. Is it really strong enough to contain those four? I guess that portable one that looks like the movie version wasn't viable.

I was with Raphael, kinda over the portals and other dimensions. So meta. I laughed at how Ray just droned on and on, and well, Raph could have cared less. But what an end to their segment. Viking ghosts... but kinda neat to learn Ray has at least a sister and a nephew. Not sure I fault the kid for punching Peter.

Peter's reaction to the Turtle Ghostbusters. Yep.

Loved that panel of Leo slashing the two killer robots. Damn, that was beautiful destruction. :)

Don and Winston talking like each other -- definitely an 'expect the unexpected' as you read this mini.
Easter Eggs so far
*What Came Before
**Mentioned are:
***Darius Dun
***Dun's death in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #64
***Splinter
***The Limbo seen last issue
***The Collectors
*Page 1
**Raphael and Ray are chased by a beast that resembles Mugato from the Star Trek episode "A Private Little War" but it was just a coincidence on Dan Shoening's part: https://twitter.com/Dapperpomade/status ... 4304289792
**Donatello talks about the Interspatial Teleportation Unit.
**Donatello alludes to how the Ghostbusters' modifications could have saved them a lot of trouble recently. They used their portal technology and cloaking gear to spy on the Pantheon in the "Pantheon Family Reunion" story arc from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #71 to #72.
*Page 2
**Winston and Leonardo teleport into the Turtle Lair from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1987 animated series. Leonardo's look is based on that series' design.
**The ghost is based on Shibano, also from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1987 animated series. He was considered the founder of the Foot Clan and appeared in the season 3 episode "Blast from the Past".
**Egon explains how ghosts are attracted to the breaches, seen previously in Ghostbusters International #8 and Ghostbusters 101 #1.
**Winston blows up a ghost with the Proton Pistol.
**Winston mentions the Traps.
*Page 3
**Egon alludes to the Collectors.
**In panel 2, Ray and Raphael encounter Smaug from the Middle Earth franchise.
**In panel 3, Leonardo and Winston appear to be running from the boulder from Indiana Jones' "Raiders of the Lost Ark".
**In panel 4, Michelangelo and Peter drop in from the rabbit hole in Disney's "Alice in Wonderland" (1951).
**In panel 5, Leonardo and Winston are on the run from Galaga and Galaxian, both classic Namco arcade games.
**In panel 6, Peter and Michelangelo are in the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 CGI animated series.
**In panel 7, Raphael and Ray taken on a version of Dracula from ?
*Page 4
**Once again, on the table are equipment from Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Stylized Versions
***A disassembled Proton Pack and Boson Dart
***P.K.E. Meter
***Slime Mine
***Trap
**Egon eats a Twinkie.
**Don quotes "a great disturbance in the Force" from Star Wars.
**In panel 1, on Donatello's clipboard is ?
**In panel 1, above Donatello's clipboard is a black business card for the Louisiana Ghostbusters.
**In panel 1, the photo above Donatello appears to be from Chapter 27 of the first Ghostbusters movie when Stay Puft Marshmallow Man begins climbing 55 Central Park West after it's blasted.
**In panel 1, on the yellow Post-It Note in Egon's book is ?
**In panel 1, in Egon's book is?
**In panel 3, on the shelf is on 2016 Ecto Cooler and two Citrus Cooler cans.
*Page 5
**In panel 1, still on the far table is a box of Hasty Pastry Bakery from The Real Ghostbusters episode "The Joke's on Ray".
**Egon alludes to when Loftur killed him in Ghostbusters International #7.
***Coincidentally, Donatello was also briefly dead.
**In panel 2, on the four screens are stills from Ghostbusters II Game Boy?
**Egon mentions:
***The alert from the Dimensional Inverter last issue.
***The Collectors
***Trap
***Containment Unit
**Donatello alludes to professional wrestling in Dimension X. This took place in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Dimension X #3 that released on August 16, 2017.
*Page 7
**Raphael's turn down was a nod to Egon's request for a brain sample from Louis at the end of the first movie.
*Page 8
**Ray's stance against protonic dispersal was recently mentioned in the class notes section of Ghostbusters 101 #4 and the ramifications of were displayed in Ghostbusters Volume 1 #15 and Ghostbusters 101 #4, when dispersed ghosts reformed into a single, very powerful entity.
*Page 9
**Ray refers to his sister and nephew.
***In the novelization of the first movie, Ghostbusters: The Supernatural Spectacular, Ray had two nephews from his older brother Carl and had a divorced younger bisexual sister named Jean.
**Raphael is the third Ninja Turtle to wear the Ghostbusters' gear. Donatello wore a Proton Pack in the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters crossover in Issue #2 and #3 while Michelangelo wore a Slime Blower in Issue #4. Only Leonardo hasn't worn anything.
**Raphael refers to Casper the Friendly Ghost.
*Page 10
**Michelangelo's recollection of "Wizard of Oz" is a nod to Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Man each needing something.
*Page 11
**This is the second time Michelangelo has worn a Ghostbusters flightsuit. He last wore one in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters crossover in Issue #4.
**Michelangelo runs into an alternate version of Splinter.
**Peter mentions the end of production of Twinkies, nod to when production briefly stopped starting November 21, 2012.
**Michelangelo alludes to the assassination of Darius Dun in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #64.
*Page 12
**Michelangelo tells Peter about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' reincarnation origin in the IDW canon, alludes to Shredder, his death at the hands of Splinter, and his taking over of the Foot Clan.
*Page 13
**Turtle Ghostbusters action figures were previewed at the 2017 San Diego Comic Con around the time this mini-series was announced.
*Page 14
**In panel 1 is the Mad Max Interceptor car.
*Page 15
**Winston now has two Proton Pistols instead of one.
*Page 16
**Winston alludes to seeing a Terminator movie.
*Page 17
**Winston mentions Bond Girls, the title for the actress who stars in a given 007 movie.
**Leonardo mentions Darius Dun, his assassination, and his time as a Foot Clan Chunin.
**Winston mentions Ray is addicted to watching Kung Fu Theater.
*Page 18
**Donatello mentions the Containment Unit.
**Donatello notes his soul was once in two places before. After his soul was returned to his healed body, Donatello discovered a digital copy of his soul was still in the Metalhead robot.
**In panel 5, once again like last issue, the three arcades are:
***Left: Ghost Capture from Panic in Times Square Level at a Photon Tempest Games room in Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Stylized Versions
***Middle: Moonstrosity X from middle of arcades on 2nd floor in Firehouse in Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Realistic Versions.
***Right: Star Castle from middle of arcades on 2nd floor in Firehouse in first Ghostbusters movie.
*Page 20
**Janine's new look is based on her appearance in Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Stylized Versions.
**In panel 2, on the five screens are still from Extreme Ghostbusters: Code Ecto-1
***Top Left: Driving in-between level
***Top Middle: Level title screen with Kylie and Eduardo art
***Top Right: Ecto-1 art that precedes driving
***Bottom Middle: Eduardo in-game firing
***Bottom Right: Kylie in-game
**In panel 2 and 4, the kanji on the box is from ?
**In panel 2, on the back of the box, near Janine's left lip is Luis Delgado's 15 easter egg.

TO BE IDENTIFIED/VERIFIED

1. Page 3 Panel 3: Based on boulder trap from Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark?

2. Page 3 Panel 7: Dracula from Super Castlevania 4 boss fight ?

3. Page 4 Panel 1:
a. On the Post It Note is ?
b. Egon's book has a drawing of ?
c. On the photograph above Donatello is Stay Puft Marshmallow Man climbing 55 Central Park West in 1st movie?
d. On Don's clipboard ?

4. Page 20 Panel 4: The Kanji on Janine's box is from ?
Last edited by mrmichaelt on November 9th, 2017, 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Sayscalled
Ray's sister
was mentioned in the GB 1984 Novelization: The Supernatural Spectacular by Richard Mueller. It was said she one lover of each gender. It could be gathered that by this time, she settled down and had a family.
By mrmichaelt
**In panel 5, Leonardo and Winston are on the run from fighter jets from ?
Thanks, I just couldn't plum remember that one. Hmm, I wonder if that could mean
The Dracula one is from a Castlevania game? EDIT: It loooks like the Super Castlevania 4 boss fight...
By groschopf
The Dracula one is from a Castlevania game? EDIT: It loooks like the Super Castlevania 4 boss fight...
Awesome work! My mind went there, but my knowledge of the franchise ended with 8-bit.
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
Awesome work! My mind went there, but my knowledge of the franchise ended with 8-bit.
H aha, while it's true I used to have all those 80-90s Nintendo Power magazines and played that game back in the day but here in the present I just googled
'Castlelvania Dracula Boss Fight' and compared images. The only real clue is the background, those columns and part of the purple drape is what led me to guessing SC4.
By mrmichaelt
Down & Nerdy Podcast Ep 188 has Erik Burnham and Tom Waltz at the 41:33 mark on on to talk about TMNT/GB Vol 2
https://twitter.com/downandnerdy757/sta ... 6213092352

Some bits gleaned from it
*Nickelodeon has a lot of plans for Turtles next year and they wanted IDW to try to release this mini in 2017 because they have some big things they want to roll out in 2018.

*Bobby Curnow, the editor, came up with this idea of a 5 week event.

*Erik and Tom talked about what bad guys to use while the former drove from western Minnesota to Fargo. Shredder came up as a potential but Tom didn't want to go there. Tom was still bummed about killing off Dun who he enjoyed writing and immediately suggested him.

*Ghostbusturtles was a bad pun Erik was throwing around during the first crossover mini.

*The big twist is in Issue #4 and then the last page of Issue #4 will make people want to time travel a week ahead to read issue 5.

*The end of issue 4 and beginning of issue 5 are pretty huge for Tom. It is something he wanted to do for awhile.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By mrmichaelt
ISSUE #3

Main Story
Nice surprise the Ghostbusturtles are named after the original cast. But, uh! That section ended too soon. Too soon. I hope those turtles aren't so bull headed they don't notice the similar flightsuit and Peter's Proton Pack... but then again, Michelangelo cutting loose on them should be fun to see.

Not what I expected with both Ray and Raph occupying Ray's body. The Gjenganger laughing at Ray's bravado was a win in my book. Peter's the only one that can talk an entity down, lmao.

Don's Proton Weapon looked pretty sick. It's a nice 'evolution' from the first mini when they simply used the modified Arm Mounted Proton Packs. Since it was a bo staff, I couldn't help but think of Darth Maul. But who's freakin' arm was that? Should we care? Is Burnham seeding again? Is it or will it be a payoff down the line?

Leonardo kicking butt. Yeah, that was my favorite part. And Winston's 'gimme that!' was amusing. Makes sense the Collectors would find them first because it's two Turtles since Winston has the comm. headset on so that's the greater concentration to track. But dang, the ending! At least it's just a week long wait.

Still a little annoyed with being lost with the TMNT callbacks but I'm sure those who only read TMNT are lost on the GB callbacks.
Easter eggs so far
*Cover A
**The ghost on the right appears to be based on Thor.
**In the lower right corner, the hammer appears to be Thor's mythical Mjolnir.
*Cover RI
**Donatello is wearing Ecto Goggles.
**Slimer makes a cameo.
*What Came Before
**Mentioned are:
***Darius Dun's death in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #64
***Splinter
***The Collectors
***The Killer Androids from last issue that tried to kill Winston and Leonardo
***The Trapgate Egon and Donatello are working on
***Containment Unit
***The events of last issue
*Page 1
**The narrator, Darius Dun, and Bronson refer to the Collectors' Limbo.
**Dun alludes to Splinter.
**Bronson mentions the Collectors.
**Bronson's warning about intensely negative vibes could be in reference to psychomagnotheric energy, the subject of Ghostbusters II.
*Page 2
**The Turtle Ghostbusters are named after Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, and Ernie Hudson.
**The manner in which Peter is captured with slime mirrors how the Peoplebusters capture humans in The Real Ghostbusters episode "Flip Side".
**Erik Burnham meant to have the line about Ernie being out sick changed but it never happened. Instead of being Ernie, the fourth Turtle is this universe's version of the Rookie. <ref>[http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpo ... ostcount=6 The Technodrome Forum Erik Burnham reply 11/9/17] ''Erik Burnham writes: "Dangit, I had fixed that line when I saw the art... guess it fell through the cracks! (I think I sent in the fix when Bobby was on vacation!) Whoops. Let's say that's the Turtle Rookie, then."''</ref>
**One of the Turtles mentions City Hall.
**The Turtle Ghostbusters' Ecto-1 is based on the Turtle Van.
*Page 3
**Michelangelo alludes to the Collectors.
*Page 4
**The Containment Unit looks like the version from The Real Ghostbusters like the Prime teams' current model.
**Peter is surprised by Michelangelo's stealth. In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters #4, Michelangelo pulled a vanishing act on Peter.
**Peter admits to dating a woman who was addicted to scrap-booking.
*Page 6
**A forced out-of-body experience happened to Peter in IDW's first Ghostbusters mini-series, The Other Side.
**Gjenganger are corporeal ghosts from Scandinavian lore, often spirits of the murdered, those who died by suicide, or murderers.
**In Ghostbusters Volume 2 Issue #6, Egon revealed he studied Gjenganger in college.
*Page 9
**Ray discovers Raphael suffers loneliness, even around family. Raphael grew up alone and homeless before he met his family early in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series.
*Page 10
**In panel 1 is the street sign outside the Warehouse is back to Kent Street. It renamed as a nod to late Ghostbusters fan, Ryan Kemp, in Ghostbusters Annual 2015.
**Egon mentions Red Hook. The location of the Warehouse was revealed in Ghostbusters 101 #2.
**Egon refers to Ghostbusters 101, Peter's fantasy camp from the mini-series preceding this -- Ghostbusters 101.
**In panel 2, on the left is Ecto-03 from The Real Ghostbusters.
**Just right of the Ecto-03 on the wall is Luis Delgado's 15 easter egg on the wall.
**Egon alludes to the difference in passage of time in the Collectors' Limbo, as demonstrated Issue #1.
**In panel 3, on the left, is part of the Lao Che plane from "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom".
**The trap slot is loosely based on the Containment Unit's from the first Ghostbusters movie.
*Page 11
**Egon was dead from the end of Ghostbusters International #7 to #11 and was brought up last issue.
**Some tests on Egon were glimpsed at the end of Ghostbusters International #11.
**The ghost is based on Trendmasters Extreme Ghostbusters' Mouth Critter figure.
**Egon brings up when Donatello's spirit was in two places, brought up last issue.
**Donatello mentions being mortally wounded. The offenders were Bebop and Rocksteady in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #44.
**Donatello alludes to Metalhead.
*Page 13
**The hand that reaches out of the Trapgate belongs to ?
*Page 14
**Donatello mentions Metalhead.
**Donatello mentions remembering being in a garden. Donatello met his mother Tang Shen in a garden in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #45 and was counseled on choosing to go to the light or the darkness after he died.
*Page 15
**Donatello brings up Survivor's Guilt. It was a mental condition felt by a person who survived a traumatic event when others didn't.
**Egon mentions the Firehouse.
*Page 16
**The Frogs might be inspired by the Punk Frogs from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' 1987 animated series.
**The first Frog mentions the Battle Bots from last issue.
*Page 17
**According to one of Tadd Galusha's concept designs, the Frogs are named Punk, Metal, Grunge, and Glam - after styles of rock music.
**Leonardo makes a meta statement about beings in other dimensions always being able to speak English.
*Page 19
**Winston reveals he took boxing in his childhood. Incidentally, in the 8/5/83 draft of the first Ghostbusters movie, Winston's resume listed he was a 15th degree Black Belt in Wing Chun Boxing.
**Winston alludes to his pun from last issue on page 2.

To Be Identified/Verified

1) Page 13: The arm reaching out of the portal belongs to?
By mrmichaelt
11/17: Issue #4 preview from Spook Central
https://www.facebook.com/pg/spookcentra ... 1069012045

11/22: Trade paperback on March 28.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC170478
Last edited by mrmichaelt on November 22nd, 2017, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
philmorgan81 liked this
By philmorgan81
Issue #4 preview from Spook Central
https://www.facebook.com/pg/spookcentra ... 1069012045
Sweet Jiminy!!! Darius's soul is so twisted he corrupted the collectors. Things just got REAL! Between this and the little tid bit shown in # 5 this is shaping up to be a heck of a sequel to the first crossover. :) :) :)
Peter Venkman Jr. liked this
By mrmichaelt
ISSUE #4

Main Story
I think that was the first time Winston got to do a 'combo movie' in which he fires his Proton Pistol(s) while someone uses his Particle Thrower at the same time. Pretty neat.

So I guess that was the weakness of the Collectors, they can't take on a repeat customer too much or their soul will overwrite their hive mind? Or it was the pent up rage in Darius? So now the two enemies are one. I'm on the fence about that one. It wraps it nicely a bit too easily for the finale... I would have been fine with Darius stewing in that Purgatory seeing the Collectors getting trapped.

Peter's "Oh God, it's Ray." was my favorite panel of the issue. Dr. Danny Welker, huh? I take that means the others are probably Dr. Bill Music, Dr. Harold LaMarche, and Ernie Hall - heh. Glad to see I kind of knew what was coming and Mikey told them to check out Peter's Proton Pack. I really want to see a Stay Puft Marshmallow Bunny now.

Ray getting Raph to use his Slime Spritzer two fold was amusing. Raph pointing out Ray's excitement was kinda creepy was funny as well.

Egon wishing he had a Metalhead was funny, too. But there you go, what is that like 11 issues later, we see Egon address his resurrection. And his biggest beef was he was returned by the power of a goddess and not science. As the nerd that loves seeing more of the Firehouse, it was cool to briefly see what the third floor hallway looked like.

So they were brought together by Tang Shen. I had to look up this IDW version and was like 'huhn, ok' but for the TMNT fans who read the comic since the start, this probably was a long time coming. I never did get why she was Chinese or how she was around in feudal Japan for that matter. Shrug. I hope this reunion isn't crushed by Darius. Eh, the final fight will probably be in the Firehouse again. Or will it?
Easter eggs
*Cover A
**Among the crowd are alternate universe versions of various Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
***Ray Fillet
***Wingnut
***Ace Duck
***Leatherhead
***Dirtbag
***Mondo Gecko
***April O'Neil
**The cover takes place near the Firehouse on N. Moore Street.
*What Came Before
**Mentioned are: Splinter and Containment Unit
*Page 2
**Winston alludes to the Collectors' Limbo, seen in the first issue.
*Page 5
**The Collectors' price for summoning by a ghost is revealed to be a piece of their soul.
*Page 7
**Darius Dun alludes to Splinter.
*Page 8
**Once again, the Ghostbusturtles' Containment Unit is visually based on the version in The Real Ghostbusters.
**Danny is chosen to talk to Michelangelo, mirroring when Ray was elected to talk to Gozer in the first Ghostbusters movie.
**Danny's last name is Welker, a nod to Frank Welker, who voiced Ray in The Real Ghostbusters.
**Danny's speech mirrors Ray's speech to Gozer in the first movie, even Peter realizes this.
**Harold doesn't believe in aliens, like Egon which first came up in Ghostbusters Volume 1 Issue #11.
*Page 10
**Danny exclaims 'Sweet Christmas' - a famous phrase used by Marvel character Luke Cage.
*Page 11
**Danny reveals their version of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was a Marshmallow Bunny.
**Peter refers to Winston's law studies at night school, which first came up in Ghostbusters Volume 1 Issue #2.
*Page 13
**Ray alludes to Chi-You and mentions when he possessed Winston in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters Issue #4.
*Page 16
**Raphael mentions growing up alone. He was homeless in New York City until he met Casey Jones and later the other Turtles and Splinter early in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ongoing comic book.
*Page 17
**In panel 2, on the table:
***The purple duffel bag is The Real Ghostbusters Slumber Mate from 1989.
***The yellow packet is Hostess' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pies from 1990-1991.
***The yellow paper to the right of the packet is ?
***The white golf club bag is based on the bag of Scott Simpson during the second round of the 1997 Motorola Western Open at Cog Hill Country Club in Lemont, Illinois. Bill Murray carried it for him. (http://www.golf.com/photos/50-greatest- ... f-photos#1)
**Egon mentions the Containment Unit.
**Dontalleo once again mentions his death in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #64 and the transfer of his mind into the robot Metalhead.
**In panel 4, on top of the shelf is a can of Blody, first advertised in The Real Ghostbusters episode "The Halloween Door".
**In panel 4, an unused logo from development of the first movie is on the toolbox.
*Page 18
**Egon admits he would have preferred to be brought back by science. In Ghostbusters International #11, he was restored to life by the goddess Aibell.
**The third floor hall is seen for the first time.
**In panel 4, between Donatello and Egon is a frame of a poster from the first Ghostbusters movie.
**In panel 4, Luis Delgado's 15 easter egg is on the golf club bag visible between Donatello's legs.
**In panel 4, Egon alludes to the Interspatial Teleportation Unit.
**In panel 4, Egon's watch is based on the Seiko Voice Note M516 4009 watches worn in the first movie. They can be notably seen in most of the press photos worn by Egon and Ray.
*Page 20
**Tang Shen, the mother of the Turtles in feudal Japan, appears. She has reached out to the Turtles and Splinter sparingly during the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ongoing. Notably when Donatello was dead, he came to the garden dimension and spoke with her.
*Page 21
**The Next page is finally corrected to 'Next Week' instead of 'Next Month'.

To Be Confirmed/Identified

1. Page 17 Panel 1: Yellow paper
Last edited by mrmichaelt on November 24th, 2017, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By Lee FW
Finally read 3-4
The characters as always are superb, I don't know how they do it so consistently but they capture their voices perfectly and it's always a joy to see these 2 franchises mash together and how they bounce off each other.
The story so far however I have real issue with, it feels too choppy and doesn't have time to breathe.
With the dimension hopping this could have been a good thing but I feel it doesn't make best use of it. If we're dimension hopping I'd have liked to have seen a bit more of that, really play upon the idea that it's a chase and they have to keep moving, use the constraints of page count to build up a sense franticness. Instead we get a small montage early on then we only really get to see a few worlds.

Maybe a solution would have been to have each issue concentrate on a different pair-up which would've given a bit more room for jumping between worlds, maybe even have a bit of cross pollination between dimensions with characters/creatures crossing over with them. Would've loved to have seen the Ghostbusturtles chasing Mikey and Peter across a few worlds too. I feel they made an endless universe of alternate dimensions feel really small which was a shame. Still looking forward to how it ends though.
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
ISSUE #5
I'd bet those who thought the ending to the 101 mini-series was ho-hum and not too exciting will think the same about this finale. It's one of Burnham's skills is to hide big developments in small endings for lack of a better wording. The benefits for the Turtles were by and large intrinsic - they worked through a lot of their baggage in this mini which prevented me from fully enjoying this story because I'm not a long time reader of the TMNT comic and it dominated the miniseries. And the last words of Tang Shen seem to be pointing to the Turtles making amends with Splinter soon. Y'know, because they kept mentioning Splinter, the Foot, and the schism over and over... The structure of 4-5 dimensions per issue killed the overall pacing, imo, instead of focusing on one dimension per issue.

With the Ghostbusters, they mostly got extrinsic benefits. They created remote portal access bands, taking them a lot closer to Aykroyd's original script, and also the Trap-Gate - which they can use on the more powerful entities they can't use a Trap on but can put in the Containment Unit. Those are some serious gamechangers, imo. And plus, they got to cross the Collectors off their to-do list after so long ago. But one of the bigger concerns is this story confirmed the ghosts are capable of watching what goes on in the physical plane. The implications. Imagine if the ghost of a certain evil scientific genius bellhop found the prime dimension and took copious notes?

And I guess another lingering question that may or may not come up is any long lasting effects of Ray and Raphael sharing the former's body and the bleed through between Winston and Donatello because of the Communications device.

Figures the final battle would be in Central Park. Shrug. And love that Peter's mouth once again was a crucial component of the plan -- to distract Dun while Egon and Ray calibrate the Trapgate. Ha! Totally agree with Peter's assessment of Dun's plan: bugnuts. It was a nice little bonus to see a couple ghosts from past IDW comics. Raphael stopping Michelangelo from saying Cowbunga reminded me of Age of Ultron ending before Captain America could say Avengers Assemble. But yeah, they executed their plan perfectly here. No shockers.

Unfortunately, I am mixed about this mini-series. It was really dominant on the Turtles and their canon, and that took me out of it. But there were a lot of great moments definitely, I won't deny that. I don't think I've been this conflicted since the second arc in Volume 2, when the Ghostbusters were also also split up so to speak incidentally. Huh. I think contributing to my ambivalence is I'm also pretty burnt out on other dimensions and crossovers. I am really looking forward to the Annual's main story with Samhain since it seems like a straight up GB story then of course another crossover that will take up most of 2018 then hopefully be the last one for awhile. Until then, ATC next month or not. Shrug.
Easter eggs so far
*Cover A
**In the lower left corner is Punk, the first of the Frogs from Issue #4.
**Punk has a quiver of arrows and bow on him, a nod to Rasputin - one of the Punk Frogs from the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series.
*Dramatis Personae
**Bronson doesn't appear in this issue but his bio is still included.
*What Came Before
**Mentioned are:
***The Ghostbusturtles
***Zoo Amsterdam
***Gjenganger
*Page 2
**Winston mentions Tang Shen's assassination and Shredder and alludes to Splinter.
**Winston isn't the first to swat a P.K.E. Meter. Melanie Ortiz did something similar to Egon when he tried to scan a victim in Ghostbusters International #6.
**Winston refers to when the Experimental Mental Communications Devices malfunctioned in Issue #2.
*Page 3
**Raphael asks if the dimension is Heaven. The more general version was seen in The Other Side.
**Donatello refers to when he came to the Garden after his death in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #45.
**Leonardo admits he saw her, too, this was when he was brainwashed by the Foot and dealing with the fallout.
*Page 5
**Tang Shen refers to Ray and Raphael sharing the former's body in Issue #3 and 4.
*Page 6
**Peter mentions Mikado, a two act 19th century comic opera.
*Page 7
**Tang Shen alludes to Splinter.
*Page 9
**As usual, the Containment Unit and biometric scanner are based on the versions from The Real Ghostbusters.
**In panel 1, on the left, the text on the biometric scanner screen is "Fail-Safe Deactivated"
**Like in Issue #2, Janine's design is based on the version seen in Stylized Versions of Ghostbusters: The Video Game.
**Appearing last issue, on the console behind Peter is the duffel bag from The Real Ghostbusters Slumber Mate.
**Also appearing last issue, the golf bag is based on the bag of Scott Simpson during the second round of the 1997 Motorola Western Open at Cog Hill Country Club in Lemont, Illinois. Bill Murray carried it for him. <ref>[http://www.golf.com/photos/50-greatest- ... f-photos#1 Golf "50 Greatest Bill Murray Golf Photos" 11/29/14]</ref>
*Page 12
**Darius Dun alludes to Splinter and the Foot Clan and his murder in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #64.
**In panel 4, in the background the Hotel Empire sign from the Empire Hotel on W 63rd Street in the Upper West Side near the Natural History Museum and Loeb Boathouse.
*Page 14
**Darius Dun mentions Splinter and the Foot Clan.
*Page 15
**Darius Dun mentions Splinter and the Foot Clan again.
**Donatello, Leonardo, and Raphael refer to the circumstances of Dun's death.
*Page 16
**Darius Dun mentions the Ghostbusters' technology didn't work on the Collectors' before. He is referring to their second encounter in Ghostbusters Volume 2 #4.
*Page 17
**Ray wears Ray Bans sunglasses and Egon his flip on shades like in the first montage of Ghostbusters II at the Orrefors case.
*Page 18
**The interior of this Containment Unit was previously seen in the first hardcover collection, Total Containment.
***The interior is visually inspired by the version seen in The Real Ghostbusters episode "Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster".
**Egon alludes to the Trap.
**In the lower left are:
***Stingy Jack from Ghostbusters Volume 2 #9
***H2 Ghost from #1 of this mini-series
***Kenner's Brain Matter from the Mini Ghost Figure: Mini Gooper set.
***Kenner's Banshee Bomber from the Gooper Ghost Figures.
**In the upper right are:
***Bug-Eye Ghost from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters #1
***With its back to the reader, the red ghost that appears when Slimer enters the Containment Unit in The Real Ghostbusters episode "Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster".
***Master Takeda from the Ghostbusters Funko Universe one-shot
***The Five Points Murderer from Ghostbusters Volume 2 #13
***Gareth Dibello from Ghostbusters Volume 2 #2
***Kenner's Sludge Bucket from the Gooper Ghost Figures.
***The Werecat Ghost from Ghostbusters International #1
**Luis Delgado's 15 easter egg is on the pipe to the right of Stingy Jack.
*Page 19
**In panel 1, Ray's "Don't look into the Trap" warning comes up between Michelangelo, Raphael, and Donatello.
**Michelangelo attempts a "Cowabunga" but Raphael stops him.
*Page 20
**Leonardo alludes to the battle with Chi-You in the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters mini-series.
**Winston alludes to the advice he gave to Leonardo in Issue #2 of this mini-series, not to put all the burden on his shoulders.
**Peter gives Michelangelo a Beginner's Guide to Psychology and tells him to pay him back when he figures out how to make a living - both nods to last issue when Michelangelo used words to defuse the situation with the Ghostbusturtles.
**Donatello mentions Metalhead.
**Winston and Peter believe they will see the Turtles again someday. Erik Burnham and Tom Waltz recently appeared on IDW's October 31st Turtles Tuesday livestream and voiced hopes to do a Volume 3.
**Janine mentions April O'Neil.
**The Turtles' story continues right away in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #76, which released back on the 15th. They are teleported back into their lair like at the end of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghostbusters #4. Raphael refers to the events of this mini-series right away on page 3.
Last edited by mrmichaelt on December 1st, 2017, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robbritton liked this
By Sayscalled
I'm thinking the whole mini was rushed and ended flat. That the first crossover had more story to it with only four issues. This told the most basic of stories in five. Well, basic in the sense of how it was structured. I believe this was a wasted chance at a follow up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Turtle/GB interactions, I just hope if they were to meet again, it could be as a stronger, deeper tale.

As of now, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Annual, and GB Prime's iteration of Samhain. Then of course, to the major GB Crossing Over story arc to follow. I can't wait for more RGB within IDW, and I wonder where in the RGB continuity they get summoned.

If there is a third GB/TMNT, the Ghostbusturtles must be involved.
By groschopf
I think contributing to my ambivalence is I'm also pretty burnt out on other dimensions and crossovers. I am really looking forward to the Annual's main story with Samhain since it seems like a straight up GB story then of course another crossover that will take up most of 2018 then hopefully be the last one for awhile.
Hate to say it, but I agree. I'm glad that they got some new tech out of this, and it was neat seeing some intimate moments between the two different franchise's characters. Insofar that we learn more about their personalities, using the dimensions to bring in new foils is successful.

But... yeah. I'm getting tired of the dimensional gimmick. It's beginning to feel more like Doctor Who and less like Ghostbusters. One of the things that excited me the most at the outset of this mini was just seeing a good 'ole fashioned bust. I feel like we don't see many smaller busts, and the show-downs wind up feeling like them in their absence.

I also suspect that while bringing in new characters to bounce off of can be informative, there's just too much busy work and exposition surrounding those developments to give them the breathing room to make them satisfying.

But that's me -- staring a gift horse in the mouth with a tactical flashlight.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
By *NormalGamer*
I think contributing to my ambivalence is I'm also pretty burnt out on other dimensions and crossovers. I am really looking forward to the Annual's main story with Samhain since it seems like a straight up GB story then of course another crossover that will take up most of 2018 then hopefully be the last one for awhile.
Hate to say it, but I agree. I'm glad that they got some new tech out of this, and it was neat seeing some intimate moments between the two different franchise's characters. Insofar that we learn more about their personalities, using the dimensions to bring in new foils is successful.

But... yeah. I'm getting tired of the dimensional gimmick. It's beginning to feel more like Doctor Who and less like Ghostbusters. One of the things that excited me the most at the outset of this mini was just seeing a good 'ole fashioned bust. I feel like we don't see many smaller busts, and the show-downs wind up feeling like them in their absence.

I also suspect that while bringing in new characters to bounce off of can be informative, there's just too much busy work and exposition surrounding those developments to give them the breathing room to make them satisfying.

Since Tom Waltz did say that Crossing Over will be a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" type event, perhaps, maybe post-Crossing Over, everything (RGB, ATC, ghosts, etc.)will pretty much blend and be revised into one whole new continuity; no more separate/alternate GB dimensions. Probably just my guess; I don't know.
By zeta otaku
I think after Crossing Over, they're going to have to shelve the dimensional thing for a while. The last three arcs have been ALL about it with the fourth coming up. I love me some cross-overs, I love Ghostbusters, but I'm starting to miss the smaller, more intimate busts... plus we have a small army of Ghostbusters in the main universe that need some love!

That being said, I'm still pumped as hell for these comics! :D
By philmorgan81

Since Tom Waltz did say that Crossing Over will be a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" type event, perhaps, maybe post-Crossing Over, everything (RGB, ATC, ghosts, etc.)will pretty much blend and be revised into one whole new continuity; no more separate/alternate GB dimensions. Probably just my guess; I don't know.
I think after Crossing Over, they're going to have to shelve the dimensional thing for a while. The last three arcs have been ALL about it with the fourth coming up. I love me some cross-overs, I love Ghostbusters, but I'm starting to miss the smaller, more intimate busts... plus we have a small army of Ghostbusters in the main universe that need some love!

That being said, I'm still pumped as hell for these comics! :D

Oh I can definately understand the dimension hopping burn out going on. I am pretty sure the IDW team is aware of it as well. I am thinking since the TMNT crossover and the development of the Dimensional Portal they have been sowing the seeds to this big crossover event. I get the feeling this is a story that the IDW team has wanted to tell for a while. They probably wanted to have a chance to tell this story before the comics end their run. :) :) :)
By robbritton
One of the things that was so refreshing about ATC issue 1 was just seeing a bust going on. Sure, it's setting up a bigger event, but it's still nice to see some small scale ghostbusting from time to time. That said, I am psyched for the big crossover, so I'm good with the portal for that one more run. I mean, the majority of the stories using the portal have been highlights of the whole run, I would just hate for the IDW 'verse to become too one note, when it's been such a refreshing world of expansion for the characters.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By *NormalGamer*
November sales are in and predictably, the mini did gangbusters. Never dipped past 10.5K.

#1 12,787
#2 11,204
#3 10,888
#4 10,751
#5 10,614
It's all thanks to the turtles so this is no surprise.
By mrmichaelt
I was skimming TMNT #79 in a store and noticed there's a callback to TMNT/GB #2 in it!
On page 8, Michelangelo convinces a Foot Clan assassin/Chunin named Jennika to help them escape Foot headquarters so they can intercede in a confrontation between Splinter and the Triceraton command. He alludes to Peter as "a good friend who's a psychiatrist" and cites the advice he gave him while they were in Zoo Amsterdam - Peter told Michelangelo that parents were people, too, and made mistakes. And to boot, Jennika was the one who carried out Splinter's order and executed Darius Dun in TMNT #64.
By philmorgan81
So I was thinking a couple days ago about the concept of a TMNT/GB 3 crossover. Now I thought it was an absolute dream come true seeing my 2 favorite franchises actually teaming up. I never would have dreamed such a thing possible. I couldn't believe how well the crossover worked. I was double surprised to see it work twice. I have followed and loved how both worlds have been impacted by both events. I heard the IDW crew talking about a third crossover with the Turtles on some podcast a few months ago and I got to thinking: I am going to put up some spoiler tags just in case there are some here who haven't read the TMNT Comics. :)
So I believe in the TMNT Comics right now Shredder has been dead for quite some time. I thought it might be fitting for Shredder's Ghost to be the big enemy in that crossover. I know that they have already done the vengeful spirit card with Darius, but I think it would be fun to see the Ghostbusters take on The Turtles Arch Nemesis.
Anyway I am sure they have some good ideas being kicked around. If another crossover between the two shows up I doubt I will be disappointed with what they come up with. :) :) :)
Ghostbusters: Monthly - THEY'RE BACK!

More https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/118706[…]

What are your desires for new Merch? The item I […]

Is this Blu-Ray set a "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST.[…]

Proton packs full scale

The Marketplace is the most likely to come acros[…]