Post your suggestions or feedback about the site here.
By xaviorbat
Trying to figure out how to close an account, I've come to the point I realized I can't afford to be in this hobby even in the cheapest manners possible, and I don't want this account anymore as a result.
By Higgs1
I don't think you can close it yourself, just go into the settings menu and shut off the email preferences, that's about the closes you can get without an admin deleting it.

You sure are taking the high road after all the feedback in your threads.....good luck either way.
By xaviorbat
It's not high road, it's falling into the pit trap. I work as a temp worker, I have a student loan, I can't afford to spend this kind of cash to go and pretend to zap ghosts. I didn't realize this hobby was so danged expensive, and I have no idea how the rest of you do it.
By Higgs1
But it seems like you're letting yourself get deleted and leaving the forum. No reason why you can't still hang out here, work on your designs and continue to save up, getting small pieces here and there. Start small man, go with a suit and work from there.

No reason why in a few months time you couldn't save up to buy a nice suit and get some patches on it. Hope you're not leaving discouraged just because of some of the advice we are giving you, not trying to be negative just honest with you.
By Hoot
Ive been here for almost 10 years. I worked my first uniform in college while like you working part time. After a few years in my career I was able to free up some money to get it started. Dont leave because you cant have it NOW. Its extra motivation to find the career foe you and save the money to get it.
By xaviorbat
Ok lets go into this abit deeper maybe I'm missing a detail here. I work as a temp worker, that means that I could stop having a job tomorrow, so saving up for months on end will inevitably lead to not getting it anyway. Then theres the fact I just did an estimate and the cheapest electronic gear for me would be buying the matty PKE because building one costs more then that. Then there's the fact that all of this costs more then I spend on my real world items. Even if I go with the coveralls I showed, and make my own patches (I have access to a machine for that) The uniform will cost, with shoes 60+...This is just the uniform. Now add in the cheapest tech period, The Ecto-goggles, about another 20. Now this is all assuming that prices don't change between now and when I buy them.
By c05ta
Sorry to see someone who enjoys the hobby fall on hard times, I've been there my self and understand completely what its like.
I think only you know whats best for you, but sometimes looking at other builds and seeing how we have gotten around issues can be inspiring and when you do have the means to make your dreams come true. You wont have to make as many mistakes in order to build an amazing pack like a lot of us have.
By redfive1973
Even if at the present time you cannot build a pack or find a suit, don't bail on the board. Spend some time and read up. Down the road fortune may turn in your favor and you will then have the know how to build what you want. The board is free and the knowledge is invaluable.
By Chace
As far as how we can afford it, many of us are adults working our career jobs...

If you can't afford anything and you cans save money right now, that's still no reason to throw up your hands and go home. Your current financial situation is probably not your permanent financial situation....and in the mean time you can use the site to research stuff and get ideas. Not to mention just hanging out and making friends in the community.

But it's your choice if you want to leave, however afaik there is no "closing my account" option (well except getting banned) simply log out and don't log back in.
By xaviorbat
About the only thing I can think of to be able to gurantee I can afford to get this stuff, would be to start making and selling patches, and undercutting people on Esty, which would mean like 5 bucks a patch. But first I'd have to make my own patch, just to make sure I know how it works. Is there any way I can do that THROUGH this site other then just posting a post about the patches every so often?
By c05ta
We all started somewhere and the pre pack stage can sometimes take longer than the pack build its self.

If your leaving that's sad but understandable. But ill give you this little tid bit of advice (given to me by another member) incase you ever find your self wanting to build a pack or any other movie props.

Spend time thinking about what it is that you want on your pack, aluminum vs resin parts, and which electronics kit you want, also which parts you want to be real vs reproduction parts or resin. Because if you substitute one part from that dream, you are only throwing money away on that because you will eventually want to buy the part that you dreamed of.

Ive done it MANY times and sunk thousands in to my pack as a result. They can be very expensive as you already know, so its best to pay for it all once.

Good luck to you with your future ventures.
By xaviorbat
Like I was saying, the only thing I can think of is to make patches and try to undercut Esty, I have a Singer Futura Embroidery machine, so I might be able to make the patches...I just don't know how yet. Noone in my family has figured out how to make it work
By xaviorbat
Oh, I figured those were the cheapest part... Oh well guess that's out. As for sitting and researching the whole time, I've been here about 3 months reading up on whats needed, My problem isn't a lack of desire, or trying to circumvent things. I just can't afford to do this. So I could sit here, chat and all that, but whats the point if I can't DO anything.
By Kingpin
xaviorbat wrote:and I have no idea how the rest of you do it.
With patience, planning and simply keeping an eye open for the right parts at the right time. :)

If I may ask a question... why did you want to become a Ghostbuster?
Cory GB Maine liked this
By xaviorbat
I enjoyed the movies, and the expanded universe (Except Extreme, that one bugged me more often then not) and thought it would be fun to do costuming things with other people. Then I found out just how much they spend on this, this is more then some of my friends have spent on their role-playing book libraries.
By Wharin
you can do something; we've all given you great plans of attack, but they're just not the ones you want to hear. hell even those of us who "can afford this" don't just make an order and in a week we have everything we need, the world doesn't work like that. good hobbies are expensive, but that expense disappears when you reap the rewards. there are tons of people here who don't have anything or "don't do anything". hang out in the chat room, bs with people, slowly collect parts, start a gear progress thread; you know, what hundreds of other people do on here. money comes and goes, but the experiences we have last a lifetime, remember that.
Kingpin, Vee, Higgs1 liked this
By xaviorbat
No, most of what I've heard is "That's not accurate" or "That's going to look bad" when I come up with a workaround so I have SOMETHING to wear. But I've heard no alternatives that don't involve me spending money I don't have. So basicly, I'm being told to sit here and chat while people with money go do things.
By Kingpin
xaviorbat wrote:No, most of what I've heard is "That's not accurate" or "That's going to look bad" when I come up with a workaround
People gave their honest feedback of what was being presented, and the first suit for instance wasn't accurate.

A lot of people are enthusiastic about accuracy because they want to have a replica costume that's as close to the stuff seen on screen, and they're enthusiastic about others having accurate stuff as well because there's a certain sense of empowerment when members of the public say we could've stepped off of the set.

It's hard to advise when not knowing more of the specifics, but are there no permanent jobs in your area that appeal to your skill-set? If not anything else it'd help better with your student loan payments.
By xaviorbat
My problem comes from being in a government area, there are no jobs and its getting worse, so having this temp job is the first job i've had in the 3 years i've been out of college
By Higgs1
xaviorbat wrote:No, most of what I've heard is "That's not accurate" or "That's going to look bad" when I come up with a workaround so I have SOMETHING to wear. But I've heard no alternatives that don't involve me spending money I don't have. So basicly, I'm being told to sit here and chat while people with money go do things.

No offense but that's kind of a crappy attitude to have. If you can't enjoy this community without having to buy and build things or be too jealous of everyone else putting their suits together than maybe it would be better to step away.

And if what you're saying about temp jobs and not being able to find work is accurate then maybe you have larger issues to face then putting together a uniform. I am not trying to come across rudely but maybe you need to adjust your priorities.

I hope you can enjoy this community for what it is and just have fun talking with others, watching builds, and contribute in any way you can.
Wharin, Vee liked this
By jessejames51
As long as you are happy with the outcome of whatever way you want to build a pack or put together a uniform, thats all that matters. I have a friend who makes proton packs out of cardboard, rubber, and tape. Its no "accurate" replica but he doesnt care, hes happy with it and to be honest it looks awesome for a pack made in that fashion. His lights are inexpensive and are put together with xmas lights that do the job. you could always make a shell in that method, brush on some fiberglass resin to solidify it and go from there....fiberglass shells and aluminumor resin gun kits are not the only only way to go about it.
By PssdffJay
"You've never been out of college. I've worked in the private sector, they expect results." Sorry, couldn't resist. Look, we don't know your situation. Living at home? Cardboard box in an alley? Trust fund? Don't know, doesn't matter. If it were me, that 3 years after college I only now had a temp job, I would have moved to find work. Again, don't know you or your situation, but that's what people do. No work? Move to where there is work. Just saying. That sucks you haven't been able to find work, I'm sorry. The economy is in the toilet and I forget that living in Canada, in an oil and gas province no less, work is easier to come by. But, if I were in a situation where I needed to make money to survive, I would do whatever it takes. Maybe this is something you need to put on the back burner until you do find a job. Life is tough, sometimes we don't get what we want and we have to sacrifice what we want for what we need and when situations change, then you get to do all the things you want to do.

You gotta do what you gotta do, in life I mean not just money for ghostbuster stuff. Clean toilets. Serve fast food. Clean houses. Collect bottles. Whatever. Are you going to complain about life or change it?

One piece of advice from one of my mentors. When he needed a job he went down to the train yard at shift change and asked the foreman if they needed any help. He did that every day until finally someone didn't show up and he got the job. Right place right time? No, persistence. Determination. When this man got hurt at work and then went back to school to get his degree, his wife went to work. Again, no jobs. What did she do? She went to Denny's at shift change and asked if they needed any help. She did this every day until finally someone didn't show up and she got the job. She worked there for a week, on tips only. She said she would work for tips only for a week and if she didn't work out they could fire her. This man and his wife are now multi multi millionaires, many homes, their biggest is over 20,000 square feet, jets, cars etc. That's not the point. We all have 24 hours in a day, why do some people get better results. Its not because they are lucky or they are born with it. They are willing to do what others are not to get the results others want but not willing to do the work for. You can't have an entitled attitude for life. You want something, get out there are work for it. (Not you specifically, I mean people in general.) People are lazy and it pisses me off.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but maybe no one has ever had this talk with you before.
Ecto-1 fan liked this
By Krenzy
I was in a similar situation when I first started out: overwhelmed by the prices, bought cheaper quality suits immediately just to have something. I'll tell you what NOT to do: Get a credit card just for Ghostbuster related costs. I did that and screwed myself real bad. If I can give advice, it'd be wait. Not waiting to build, but waiting to buy. My first suit was a Rothco, which I kinda knew was crap but I wanted the suit! Temporary happiness ensued but I soon yearned for a real Nomex flightsuit. So I bought one, and soon had two suits. Nice, but I could've waited, not bought the rothco, and simply saved a couple extra weeks and bought the Nomex and had used the Rothco money on either patches or a belt, etc. Trust me, it's so easy to overspend and buy duplicates. The financial spot you're in (been there myself), you need every penny. So of you're dead set on Bustin', do so responsibly.

You'll be happy temporarily with a low quality part, but happier on the long run with a good quality piece that costs just a little more. This is a spendy hobby, if you let it become one. Follow the link in my signature for an example of how to build a pack using cheaper, readily available materials that follows plans in the Equipment section, and still looks great (if I do say so myself).

Don't give up, just give yourself a little extra time to get what you'll truly want. Plan, execute, WIN!
By Krenzy
Xaviorbat, where exactly do you live? We are a large community and perhaps there are fellow members nearby who would be willing to help out or at the very least you could meet up with some of us. :)
By pir8capn
I don't know if this will help or hurt your desire to pursue the GB lifestyle...

Years ago, I did the cost workup just like you, even put it on a spreadsheet. I realized I just couldn't afford it at the time. I occasionally would pop back up on the site to see what all the GB's were doing. Sometimes it would get me inspired, sometimes it would get me down, and sometimes it would piss me off to see all these guys with stuff I couldn't afford. But I came back again and again.

Eventually I was able to build a pack from a Studio Creations shell, probably the cheapest of many options. It took me a couple of years to put this stuff together, with the parts I could afford sitting in boxes collecting dust, but I got there.

It takes a ton of time to make this happen for most of us, I'd think. There are some guys with cash to burn, so let 'em buy up the shiny pre-made packs or drop big bucks on doing their own casting if that's their thing. More power to them and no malice intended against the GB's that can afford it. But do know that for many of us, time and money constraints make us have to take the long way around.

Best of luck as you move forward and even of you do cancel your account, check back every now and then. The resources here will just keep getting better and the people here are always great.
By Hoot
I dont know what your field of study is but when it comes to government work, youre going to have to be flexible in your work location. Lots of risk but high reward.

What jay Said is true also. I know guys at US CBP that have had to relocate from Texas to the northern border; uprooting family but the money is good.

Sometimes you have to broaden search area. Maybe some government types on here can chime in and help you out. Network on here buddy. We have a love for all things GB and also each other. Hustle heart and determination. Never give up!!
c05ta liked this

Wow this looks amazing! I really enjoyed reading […]

@gpstar, Thanks for all this info. I’m wor[…]

Honestly, I don’t think there is damage from[…]

Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg